Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAgent Spader
Stranger
2 weeks old, huge curling down, weird spots - first grow
    #699220 - 12/15/13 11:35 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Hello everyone! This is my first grow ever, and my seeds are random seeds picked from shitty bud I've bought (I know, I know, not good, but I just want to learn how to grow, not really focusing on massive yields yet.)

Anyways, so here are my plants, there are two. Both the same age, Though different plants, and I believe species (although too early to tell)

Plant A: Massive curling, dark green, some dark spots, two weeks old.

Plant B: This plant is doing the best, it has long big leaves, bright green, and soft to touch, althought it has some curling also.

So Heres what I'm doing:

I have 8 23 watt CFLs, about 4-6 inches away from the plants. They were planted in red solo cups, watered daily, and transplanted yesterday into what you can see.

The soil is 2/3 of Natural Jungle Growth from lowes, with a NPK of .22 .11 .18, 1/3 perlite. 

Flushed with tap water, and then transplanted the seedlings. I then watered the new soil, with some Alaskian Fish Emulsion from Lowes also.

Now heres what I can't figure out. I water it about once a day or once every two days, mainly when the top of the soil is pretty dry. But how much do I water? Do I mist? When do I know how much to add?

Also, I don't have a temperature, or a humidifier, so I'm just guessing when I say my grow room is 75-85 F. Its pretty hot in there, not over 90 for sure, but definitely over 75.

No humidity other than whats in the air in my apartment. I added a shallow dish of water and a fan to blow on it, and that raised the humidity a little.

So I took some soil tests and this is what I got:

PH: 7
N: Low
P: Medium
K: Medium

So what could be the problem and what can I do to fix these little babies? They should be much bigger by now ;(

Soil Growers:
1. Are you growing from seed or clones?
seeds

2. How old are your plants?
2 weeks

3. How tall are your plants?
Not tall

4. What size containers are they planted in?
Half gallon or quarter gallon, not sure.

5. What is your soil mix?
Jungle Growth, perlite

6. How often do you water and what type of water do you use and how much you give per watering?once a day, tap, and half a red solo cup

7. What is the pH of your water?unknown

8. What kind of fertilizer do you use and what is its NPK ratio? Alaskan fish emulison 5-1-1

9. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything? No

10. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (HPS, MH, fluorescent, halogen, incandescent "plant lights") CFL

11. How close are your lights to the plants?4-6 inches

12. What size is your grow space in square feet?3x2.5

13. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space? Unknown

14. What is the pH of the soil? 7

15. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space? one little fly but they are common around my house
16. How much experience do you have growing? none

Edited by Agent Spader (12/15/13 11:37 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAgent Spader
Stranger
Re: 2 weeks old, huge curling down, weird spots - first grow [Re: Agent Spader]
    #699222 - 12/15/13 11:50 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Is it possible, I'm watering too much and the soil is releasing too many nutes, so this is a nute burn?

how can I fix this? I feel like the soil is too compacted

Offlinefunnyfart
Strangler
Male

Loc: Dark side of the moon
    #699225 - 12/15/13 12:32 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

man they are babys... don't feed them till the have the first few internodes..
u could flush them to get fritilizer out.. and u might want to get some root water

OfflineAgent Spader
Stranger
Re: 2 weeks old, huge curling down, weird spots - first grow [Re: funnyfart]
    #699232 - 12/15/13 01:34 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Wouldnt flushing them be like extremely overwatering?

How do I properly flush the soil?

Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

#699236 - 12/15/13 02:01 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

wow stop watering them you are killin them . you are under cfls those cups wont dry out for like a week !!

To much water/food man. don't feed them till they get like a month old that's what I do

OfflineAgent Spader
Stranger
Re: 2 weeks old, huge curling down, weird spots - first grow [Re: budgrowerwannabe]
    #699246 - 12/15/13 05:40 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Areyou sure man? They feel crispy, and like... brittle. Could it be too dry in the room for them?

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #699273 - 12/15/13 08:41 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

They're crispy and brittle because you are burning the shit out of them with nutrients.  You are also overwatering them. 

Flushing is different from overwatering.  To flush, you run 2-3 times the amount of water to soil.  ph balanced of course.  Then you do NOT water again until it's dry.  Right now you are just keeping your soil constantly wet, one of the most common mistakes new growers make.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

Re: 2 weeks old, huge curling down, weird spots - first grow [Re: Hawksresurrection] * 1
    #699284 - 12/15/13 09:11 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Listen to old santa here :stayfunky:

InvisibleP-O

#699443 - 12/16/13 03:44 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

least your learning on some bag seeds and not some expensive ones u bought online

OfflineAgent Spader
Stranger
Re: 2 weeks old, huge curling down, weird spots - first grow [Re: P-O]
    #699702 - 12/17/13 04:07 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for the replies. I haven't watered them yet, and JESUS. That was the problem! They are doing so much better now.

Plant A: No longer droops, its looking much darker, ALTHOUGH there are burns all over it. There are about 2-4mm circles of just dead leaf on both of the main leaves. Then on the new ones that are growing in, the very very tips are turning yellow, but they are not curling (only have 4 23w per plant) so its not heat. What could cause this?

Plant B: Growing much much faster now. Looks healthier.

So should I still flush them? Or are they doing fine? Or will the tiniest bit of water, overfeed them because they are saturated with nutes?

How much water is normal for flushing? I don't know how much I should give to water, let alone flushing. BTW how much do I give during watering???

Final question: I know its dumb that I planted when I did... but I'm going on vacation for 2 weeks, and I dont have anyone to water these for me.  If I flush them before I go, will the extra water be good enough to contain them for 2 weeks? They are super small, they are not very hot, and the pots are pretty big for the size of the plant

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #699785 - 12/17/13 07:51 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Just in solo cups, I doubt they would make it.

Yes I would still flush them out, they have excess nutrients that they can't utilize, and is just doing them harm.

I already answered how to flush.  And how much to flush with.  Read the above posts for the answers.

When watering normally, it is best to let the soil get pretty dry, this draws air down into the soil.  Roots need this to survive.  Once very dry, water until thoroughly saturated, how much is obviously going to depend on the size of your containers, and soil composition.  It's not some cut and dry formula.  Some people out there will tell you to water until you see runoff, I disagree with this.  When dry, it can take time for the soil to really start soaking up the water that you are adding.  How much is something that is going to come with experience.

Now when the container is dryish, lift it up and feel the weight.  After you water thoroughly, lift again and compare.  This will give you an indicator for when you will need to water next.  Just check the weight every couple of days.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineTribalSeed
SoulJah

Loc: Babylon
Re: 2 weeks old, huge curling down, weird spots - first grow [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #701263 - 12/21/13 09:54 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
Just in solo cups, I doubt they would make it.

Yes I would still flush them out, they have excess nutrients that they can't utilize, and is just doing them harm.

I already answered how to flush.  And how much to flush with.  Read the above posts for the answers.

When watering normally, it is best to let the soil get pretty dry, this draws air down into the soil.  Roots need this to survive.  Once very dry, water until thoroughly saturated, how much is obviously going to depend on the size of your containers, and soil composition.  It's not some cut and dry formula.  Some people out there will tell you to water until you see runoff, I disagree with this.  When dry, it can take time for the soil to really start soaking up the water that you are adding.  How much is something that is going to come with experience.

Now when the container is dryish, lift it up and feel the weight.  After you water thoroughly, lift again and compare.  This will give you an indicator for when you will need to water next.  Just check the weight every couple of days.

Not trying to hijack the thread here but I do have a question for ya hawk.....Why do you disagree with the watering runoff thing? What would be the correct way? I definitely don't disagree with you, but I have heard this a lot and have just assumed this is a rule of thumb.

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: 2 weeks old, huge curling down, weird spots - first grow [Re: TribalSeed]
    #701265 - 12/21/13 09:59 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Well I answered that question in the same part you quoted....

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineTribalSeed
SoulJah

Re: 2 weeks old, huge curling down, weird spots - first grow [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #701266 - 12/21/13 10:01 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
Well I answered that question in the same part you quoted....

:slowreaction:
My bad. A little medicated now that the little ones are asleep and I guess I missed the meat of that post. Sorry bout that Hawk!

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: 2 weeks old, huge curling down, weird spots - first grow [Re: TribalSeed]
    #701312 - 12/22/13 12:41 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

I'm gonna agree and disagree with this statement. Now I agree with Hawk that weighing the bag is the best idea buuuuuut the runoff thing does work. Water a little then wait, then a little more then wait till you get runoff. Now why do I say this? This is why plants in different parts of the room will dry at different times. Yeah we all want things perfect but nobody has that so lets get real. Some of the pots may have a little more airflow around them so your gonna get those drying a little faster. Some parts of the room may be warmer and so on. Well I sure as hall wasn't gonna be picking up pots in different areas to see which area needs watering sooooo every few days when I figured most of them can use water (but maybe don't need it yet but with the right soil they will be fine) I watered them till I got a little runoff.

Like I said the way Hawk said is the best but the runoff way works and it's easy for beginners. (and in my case lazy people) :crazy2:

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineTribalSeed
SoulJah

Re: 2 weeks old, huge curling down, weird spots - first grow [Re: Magash]
    #701314 - 12/22/13 12:49 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
I'm gonna agree and disagree with this statement. Now I agree with Hawk that weighing the bag is the best idea buuuuuut the runoff thing does work. Water a little then wait, then a little more then wait till you get runoff. Now why do I say this? This is why plants in different parts of the room will dry at different times. Yeah we all want things perfect but nobody has that so lets get real. Some of the pots may have a little more airflow around them so your gonna get those drying a little faster. Some parts of the room may be warmer and so on. Well I sure as hall wasn't gonna be picking up pots in different areas to see which area needs watering sooooo every few days when I figured most of them can use water (but maybe don't need it yet but with the right soil they will be fine) I watered them till I got a little runoff.

Like I said the way Hawk said is the best but the runoff way works and it's easy for beginners. (and in my case lazy people) :crazy2:

:happyweed:

I see your point as well Magash. I think maybe if you had a larger grow such as yours pictured, then the weighing idea just wouldn't be practical. If you got a small garden, like 4-8 plants or something like that, then the weight thing would be better since you can pay more attention to each of the plants. You just cant get that in depth with SOG I would think.

Initially it probably has more to do with the soil, airflow, and positioning to the light like you said.
Hell of a duo there.lol. (Mag and Hawk)

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder