Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinehamloaf
Biometric Precursor.

Loc: Back in the USSR. Flag
Air Cooled Reflector Type. Cool Tube, Or Cooled Reflector Hood.
    #693815 - 11/15/13 08:41 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Good morning, having trouble making a small decision.  I am about to get a complete 400 watt lamp kit.  Have decided to go with an air cooled type reflector for now and am having trouble settling on/picking a reflector type.  Choices are the "cool-tube" style with winged reflector, or the "euro" style enclosed triangular reflector with the built in 6" flanges, tempered glass safety lens and reflective insert.  Can't seem to find any information on why one would be better over the other though, so I thought it would be a good idea to ask this community which one you all thought was better based on either y'alls opinion, experience or both?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Re: Air Cooled Reflector Type. Cool Tube, Or Cooled Reflector Hood. [Re: hamloaf]
    #693819 - 11/15/13 09:30 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

well do you have any size restrictions for the reflector?

how big is your grow room?

will you be adding more lights?

how many plants are you gonna grow?

are you gonna run a sog,scrog, or just chuck a few plants under the light and let'em go?

a triangular reflector will give you a better footprint than a cooltube, but you can cram a lot of cooltubes in a small area and still keep temps in check.....If i were you I'd base my decesion on your style of growing,amt of plants,and available space.

:vaped:

--------------------
"Marijuana may not be addictive, but growing it is" - ED Rosenthal

Maine Caregiver In 100% compliance with Maine state laws.

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: Air Cooled Reflector Type. Cool Tube, Or Cooled Reflector Hood. [Re: Farmer Joe] * 1
    #693849 - 11/15/13 03:35 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Have you looked into the Fresca Sol? Water cooled cool tube, says it fits inside most air cooled hoods... I'm totally gonna be picking one up to see how well it works. Magash says they work really well!

--------------------
My best run so far

Offlinehamloaf
Biometric Precursor.

Re: Air Cooled Reflector Type. Cool Tube, Or Cooled Reflector Hood. [Re: Tank333]
    #693931 - 11/16/13 07:37 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

a triangular reflector will give you a better footprint than a cooltube, but you can cram a lot of cooltubes in a small area and still keep temps in check

This is exactly what I was needing to know.  I can take it from here.  Thanks, man.  Nice sea of green you have in your basement there, by the way. 

Tank, yes.  I have very much looked into the Fresca Sol.  That Fresca Sol is the coolest thing I'v seen since I'v been back studying the subject at hand again.  The way the Fresca Sol can allow you to place an HID just above the plants' canopy so the most intensest light the bulb has to offer can now be made available to the plants is a dream come true to me.  The dream lamp set up for me would be a string of these Fresca Sol Platinum series with winged tipped reflector powered by the Galaxy brand 600 watt "Grow Amp" ballasts.  Haven't quite settled on a bulb brand/style yet, or a mogul socket, cap and cord. 

To run the Fresca Sol(s) you are going to need to purchase a water pump, and unless you have an above or below ground swimming pool, can get a reservoir 4 feet under the ground, locate an under ground water source such as a well, or you live in a climate or are in a season where the weather stays cool and you can keep a water reservoir outside to be cooled by the weather, then you are going to need a quarter ton of chilling per light.  A quarter ton of chilling costs about 500$.  I suppose it makes sense that one could use a water reservoir above ground and run water though the tubes as well as air to possibly save cost on a chiller.

Cost is an issue for me for right now.  The Fresca Sol Platinum Series costs 329.99 not including the wing tipped reflector.  Throw in the winged tip reflector for another 34.95$.  The 600 watt Galaxy brand "Grow Amp" ballast costs 237.99$ a piece.  Another 10$ for a power cord, 100-200$ for an HPS or MH bulb, cost of water pump, and possibly the cost of chiller (like 500$ per quarter ton of chilling) and another 20-40$ on a mogul socket, cap and cord.  That's approx 700$ without the cost of a water pump, 1/2 inch tubing, a reservoir and possible water chiller(s) factored in. 

I'm just getting back into the game after about a 6 year absence and have gotten rid of all my lamp sets over the last six years.  Found a complete 400 watt digital HID with switchable ballast, 6 inch flanged cooled reflector hood, choice of HPS or MH bulb, and a 250cfm inline fan for just under 300$.  Suits my needs for now.  The goal is to afford a few of these Fresca Sols over the next few months, Get a 400 MH and slide this 400 watt HID over into the vegging area.

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Re: Air Cooled Reflector Type. Cool Tube, Or Cooled Reflector Hood. [Re: hamloaf]
    #693940 - 11/16/13 10:02 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

A quarter ton of cooling PER light?? Where do you come up with that number? I'm not arguing, just seems kinda high to me. And I've never heard of a chiller's power being expressed in tons. Usually its in HP of the compressor... But then, I've actually never dealt with a chiller. I'm building a DIY one right now out of a chest freezer. I'm hoping that by eliminating the need for a chiller rez (mine is built in) can make this as efficient (or more so) as a standard chiller.

My next room I'll be outfitting is a 10x10 room and I'm gonna put 4kw in there with the Fresca Sol's. I want to see if I can do everything without an AC unit in the room. I've got a portable 11,000 BTU unit that I COULD use, but I want to avoid that if at all possible...

--------------------
My best run so far

Offlinehamloaf
Biometric Precursor.

Re: Air Cooled Reflector Type. Cool Tube, Or Cooled Reflector Hood. [Re: Tank333]
    #693944 - 11/16/13 10:33 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

A quarter ton of cooling per light is according to my hydrostore owner's specks.  Nah, it makes sense that you'd measure water chillers that way, because the amount of energy needed to cool or heat one pound of water by one degree Fahrenheit is a BTU (British Thermal Unit).  The power of water pumps are usually measured in horse power (that I know of).  Let me know how that chest freezer water chiller conversion works out for you.

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

#694036 - 11/16/13 10:22 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Dude, its gonna go pretty well, I'm thinking. It negates the need for an extra reservoir, since it has one built in. I just drilled holes in the top, dropped a pair of bulkheads through, sealed it with caulk, and now I'm waiting for my temperature controller to come in the mail. Paid $40 for the freezer, and the temp controller will be here by the end of the week ($50 on amazon). I'm hoping it will perform well.

--------------------
My best run so far

Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

#694056 - 11/17/13 02:00 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

I just got this cool tube yesterday

OfflineTomCollins

Re: Air Cooled Reflector Type. Cool Tube, Or Cooled Reflector Hood. [Re: budgrowerwannabe]
    #694062 - 11/17/13 04:35 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

vicious bro. Looks huuge! How are you gonna hang it?

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

Re: Air Cooled Reflector Type. Cool Tube, Or Cooled Reflector Hood. [Re: TomCollins]
    #694140 - 11/17/13 07:04 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

IT has these cables that are on it already so just some hooks!!!

But I do need to find/ make a good hood

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

Re: Air Cooled Reflector Type. Cool Tube, Or Cooled Reflector Hood. [Re: budgrowerwannabe]
    #694145 - 11/17/13 07:40 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

This was a decision I slightly regret not making, since I didn't get a cooled reflector hood and now in the summer I will just need to buy one. I'd say the best option is to get a hood you can use both with and without vented cooling.

In a 50-60 degree room With a 400w MH atm my GR gets about 75-85. If that helps.

btw I've seen pictures of the cool tubes(like pictured above) used without venting, so I guess you could always do that. I know you can get those for under 50$ after shipping.

OfflineTomCollins

Re: Air Cooled Reflector Type. Cool Tube, Or Cooled Reflector Hood. [Re: Midgetpawn]
    #694175 - 11/18/13 03:23 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

@bud: did you think about standing that thing up vertically in the middle of your tent?

@midget:
Any hood that can be air cooled can be used with or without air cooling - why you would buy a hood with ventilation capability and not use it is beyond me.

Running a cool tube without ventilation though is especially nonsensical, since the reflector in the cool tube is very small and bad at directing light (in other words it's a very poor reflector of the light.) The one advantage to the cool tube is that it's luke warm to the touch while it's running, and you don't need a powerful fan to cool a powerful light with it.

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

Re: Air Cooled Reflector Type. Cool Tube, Or Cooled Reflector Hood. [Re: TomCollins] * 1
    #694177 - 11/18/13 04:51 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

I did ! but was not ?? if it was good enought? I hooked it up and all but im going to costom a hood . You need something.  go I also see I can put my light alot closer, more light . So after I make a hood better than I could by Ishould be growen some nice buds:baaaam:

Thanks donkey:awedrugs:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck