Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Reflector question
    #126225 - 09/28/08 04:29 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

So I'm slowly putting together my lighting system from a variety of sources...got a 1000w HPS light for flowering, a 1000w MH for veg, and a hydrofarm daystar reflector.  It was my intention to get the convection cooled reflector but instead I got the one with 8in. flanges; the problem is, I'm not sure what I use  them for.  I've seen the pics with the ducting on either side, is the ducting attached to a fan system or into an external exhaust?  Just need some help deciphering my equipment.
I'm also thinking of splurging on a 1000w lumatek digital ballast...your thoughts?

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Reflector question [Re: 81renaissance]
    #126226 - 09/28/08 04:33 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

The flanges are for hooking up hoses to in order to cool the light down.

Can't go wrong with the lumatek. I love em.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Reflector question [Re: Magash]
    #126241 - 09/28/08 06:21 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I understand what you hook up to the flanges, but to where do you run the hoses?

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

Offlinesaltatory
Re: Reflector question [Re: 81renaissance]
    #126262 - 09/28/08 09:00 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

well, i've never worked with them, but i think there are a couple of ways to tackle air-cooled reflectors. the easiest way would probably involve a fan which draws air from the room, through the reflector and out some ducting to an external exhaust. more complicated setups might employ "light-only" air which is ducted in, across the lights/reflector and ducted out to an exhaust.

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Reflector question [Re: saltatory]
    #126442 - 09/29/08 05:48 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

When you say hoses, are we speaking about ducting? There's a place to hook up the ducting on two different sides, right? If so, then saltatory's response is, as always, the way to go. :grin: It really isn't necessary to run the exhaust for the air-cooled reflector separately from the exhaust of the grow-room itself unless you are really struggling to keep your temperatures in check. It would require another extractor fan in order to do so.

Splurging on a 1000 watt digital Lumatek - that's wild. From what I recall, regular 1000 watt ballasts cost twice as much as the regular 600 watt ballasts, with the 600 watt digital ballasts costing twice as much as the regular 600 watt ballasts..... a 1000 watt digital ballast has got to be a good chunk of change. :lol:

What floorspace will you be working with?

--------------------

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Reflector question [Re: Sirius]
    #126470 - 09/29/08 09:27 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah Sirius, they're a bit pricey, and I was just kind of tossing the idea around actually.  I've got an older 1000w ballast over in the lot right now, and another two just sitting around the house (yes I have three 1000w ballasts, I got them on Craigslist on the cheap) and all three work, so I might just use the ones I have.  I was tempted by the promise of a higher output by a digital ballast though. Do you think the difference is worth the money?

I've got a 324 sq. foot room (18 x 18) I'll be using for the grow, but I'm going to be putting up panda film to shrink it down...if I only do one bed it'll be a 5ft x 5ft. bed, and if I feel like going big, and using two of the ballasts, I'll do two of the beds not sure if I feel like doing a massive grow right off though.  My light is rated at 150,000 lumens, that should cover a 5x5 area right?

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom