Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleDoPeYsMuRf

Fucking Hermies!!!
    #692120 - 11/05/13 08:35 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

I only ever have this problem with feminized seeds. Hermies are a thorn in my side...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCrushNazT
Male

Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Fucking Hermies!!! [Re: DoPeYsMuRf]
    #692139 - 11/05/13 09:00 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

ya i heard that happens more with feminized seeds. ive had it happen to my first grow or 2. so far so good with clones ive picked up from dispensaries so it really must be the feminized thing. i wanted to grow some from seed and take a bunch of clones myself instead of buying them all, so i got a 10 pack of regular mk ultra seeds from adam dunn himself. still vegging and waiting to find out the sex. i have a feeling thats just the way to do it. grow a few seeds (not femd) and then flower, clone the females and flower them to find which mothers you wanna keep.

InvisibleDoPeYsMuRf

Re: Fucking Hermies!!! [Re: CrushNazT]
    #692148 - 11/05/13 09:15 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

I like to do it in stages.

First grow the seeds.

Then clone each plant.

Then they get grown out to determine male/female and best traits.

Then that clone becomes the stock momma.

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Fucking Hermies!!! [Re: DoPeYsMuRf]
    #692154 - 11/05/13 09:25 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

This is also why I don't like to run with feminized seeds.  Just get regular seeds and weed out the males.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offlineloki
Re: Fucking Hermies!!! [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #692204 - 11/06/13 04:18 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Thats but far the best way, for the long run.

Offlinehamloaf
Biometric Precursor.

Loc: Back in the USSR. Flag
Re: Fucking Hermies!!! [Re: loki]
    #692205 - 11/06/13 04:43 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Female plants have to be stressed in the first place in order for them to go hermaphrodite and make those pollen sacks that carry the pollen with an extra X chromosome.  The problem with that is that the hermaphrodite gene is passed on as well.  Any amount of stress on plants that have been feminized can easily turn a feminized plant into a hermaphrodite.  Get a pack of standardized seeds and plant them all at once.  Out of those ten seeds generally half of them will be male and 1-2 may not be vigorous growers leaving you with 3 healthy vigorous female plants.  From there you can begin examining the growth of these strong females and decide which plant has the characteristics you desire to expand upon and begin expanding upon that plant.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Fucking Hermies!!! [Re: hamloaf]
    #692259 - 11/06/13 12:43 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Feminized seeds are good for exploring strains and figuring out what you like. If you know what you want and are trying to find that perfect pheno then start a bunch of regular seeds and weed out the males and find your mother.

If done right seeds can be feminized and should be fairly stable, but from what I'm seeing is that there are a few ways of making them fem and only one way is proper. There's still always going to be the chance, but you never know what people are doing to get feminized seed. Just the other day a friend of mine handed me some seeds his buddy grew and said "they're 90% female." I told him he could keep em.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Offlinehamloaf
Biometric Precursor.

Re: Fucking Hermies!!! [Re: phychotron]
    #692304 - 11/06/13 06:11 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Yea, I would have told my buddy to keep those seeds too unless of coarse I didn't have any seeds in which case I would be happy to take almost any seed with the exception of swag seeds probably.  Idk, if I was completely desperate for seeds and could only get a hold of swag seeds for whatever reason, I'd grow them out. 

You mentioned you know of a few ways growers are making seeds feminized, but that only one is the proper way.  I was curious as to what this one and only proper way to make seeds feminized you speak of is?

InvisibleCrushNazT
Male

Loc: Colorado Flag
    #692307 - 11/06/13 06:19 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

i found 4 seeds (so far!) in a bud of this dank ass Charlie Sheen OG i picked up from the Pink House in Denver.

:smile:

theyre really good about their weed, ive never seen seeds in their stuff. so im really surprised. you guys think theyre going to come out hermies or is there a possibility that they'll be ok?

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: Fucking Hermies!!! [Re: CrushNazT]
    #692382 - 11/06/13 11:49 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

You mentioned you know of a few ways growers are making seeds feminized, but that only one is the proper way. I was curious as to what this one and only proper way to make seeds feminized you speak of is?

Well, I am pretty sure he is talking about using colloidal silver. Here is a link to a thread explaining the process.

Quote:

CrushNazT said:
i found 4 seeds (so far!) in a bud of this dank ass Charlie Sheen OG i picked up from the Pink House in Denver.

:smile:

theyre really good about their weed, ive never seen seeds in their stuff. so im really surprised. you guys think theyre going to come out hermies or is there a possibility that they'll be ok?

If they got their weed from a breeder, its a possibility you could use it without problems, but I doubt it. Even hermied weed can be grown to be TOP shelf stuff...

--------------------
My best run so far

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Fucking Hermies!!! [Re: Tank333]
    #692387 - 11/07/13 12:36 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Even shwag weed can be grown out to top shelf

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offlinehamloaf
Biometric Precursor.

Re: Fucking Hermies!!! [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #692395 - 11/07/13 02:00 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Yea, I know.  Would much rather start with seeds or clones of known genetics from a reputable breeder though.  Although, it would be fun to take a bunch of shwag seeds and grow them out to be top shelf as a project on the side.

CrushNazT, The possibility those seeds you found being wonderful upon growing them out properly is great.  In fact, I would consider finding those seeds where you did as a blessing/score and begin to go to work growing them out as soon as possible. 

Tank333, that's an interesting post.  That may be a little more then I want to do just to get feminized seeds at this point in time.  Minds change though.  I really appreciate the link as I have an unlimited supply of super highly concentrated (over 1000ppm) colloidal silver around my house that is produced by a relative of mine.  I am going to read through that thread you linked me probably after I go to sleep and wake up again.  I wonder if that method is what phycotron was talking about?

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #692397 - 11/07/13 02:47 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

I'm no fem expert, but colloidal silver does ring a bell. Read up on feminizing and you'll see that there are a few ways of doing it--some more stable than others. I'm not sure the exact method. I have no need to create feminized seeds so I've only done basic research.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

OfflineAstrodelic

Re: Fucking Hermies!!! [Re: phychotron]
    #692501 - 11/07/13 04:14 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

as some have stated, there are a few ways to fem.

try to find out what techniques the company your ordering from is using. Example: Somas sacred seed company uses a technique I've mostly seen labeled as pollen tossing. He forces a female to hermaphrodite, and uses that pollen to produce seeds. This automatically breeds that trait into any offspring. Companies claiming to be organic or earth healthy seem to employ this technique to feminize.

I wouldn't bother with fems from anything less than the best companies simply for the reasons of genetics if I were really hoping to avoid herms at all cost. If it's already in the genetics, maybe a less dominate trait it can be brought out through feminizing. In a super super basic lesson you can think about it like this: express the hermie genotype as Xx where X is no hermie and x is hermie.  In Xx the dominate pheno is non hermie, but the x can be coaxed out. Hit that plant against itself for a total of 4 kids and the possible children are Xx, xX, XX, xx. xx will always hermie, xX is an expressed hermie, though it does carry the trait for nonhermie, and may not actually hermie, Xx wont hermie unless forced, XX is no hermie...so unless your buying from only the best, you have to weigh the benefits to the negatives...where shoddy genetics can get feminized herms, regular seeds can give you males and herms...

OfflineMrshroom
Stranger

Re: Fucking Hermies!!! [Re: Astrodelic]
    #692530 - 11/07/13 07:24 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

hey let me ask this then while you guys are on the subject of breading fem seeds and hermies.... now even if the plant is a fem and has a chance of going hermi.. but wont it only going hermi if under alot of stress???  so if you have a good grow room set up and climate under controll wouldnt that keep the plant from going hermi?

also if u have a plant that has a chance to go hermi.. will it only go hermi in flowering? or can it go hermi if stress in veg?(like topping and pinching?)

Offlinehamloaf
Biometric Precursor.

Re: Fucking Hermies!!! [Re: Mrshroom]
    #692537 - 11/07/13 08:15 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Nah, you got it backwards.  In order for plants to go herm they have to be stressed in one form or another.  Along with the extra female chromosome the hermaphrodite gene is also passed on as a result from that stress.  Thus seeds grown from feminized stock will be more suseptable to going herm from any amount of stress they may encounter while growing.  The less amount of stress femininized seeds encounter while growing DISCOURAGES the hermaphrodite gene to come out.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder