Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinekrypto2000

Loc: Slightly off the Ground
What is this oily liquid on my plants?
    #687407 - 10/03/13 08:24 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

I first noticed it upwards of a month ago, every morning there would be a lot of what I then assumed was slug juices sitting on the top of the soil in the pots. No harm was, or afaik still is, coming to the plants so I didn't think much about it. This morning however I noticed it up on the plants themselves. The closest thing I can actually think of to describe it's appearance and texture is either spit or ejaculatory fluid (with no semen in it, it's perfectly clear). It was on some of the leaves of various colas and stretching between them forming an hourglass shape. It doesnt look like any molds or fungi I've ever seen and I doubt it can be a slug because that would mean it crawled across the air/two branches which are not strong enough to support them, plus I've never seen any other on the plants or even in them. Could this possibly be evaporating/condensing cannabinoals/oils that are starting to cover the plants? That's currently the best idea I have, but I've never seen it before this grow and never heard about such a thing happening either.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefunnyfart
Strangler
Male

Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: What is this oily liquid on my plants? [Re: krypto2000]
    #687424 - 10/03/13 10:27 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

:picdidnthappen:

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: What is this oily liquid on my plants? [Re: funnyfart]
    #687427 - 10/03/13 10:53 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

If it looks anything like this it's thrips.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinekrypto2000

Re: What is this oily liquid on my plants? [Re: Magash]
    #687430 - 10/03/13 11:05 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

No, it was only on the edge of the leaves and seemed to connect to other leaf edges. I've never seen anything like it. Is my female ejaculating maybe?

edit: To add it's still there for one, so it must be rather oil like in consistency or it'd have evaporated by now. It's completely clear and very... sparkly perhaps? What I mean by that is that it's like motor oil in a rainstorm, you can see all kinds of colors diffracting from it as the light hits it. It has a *very* fine syrupy like consistency. I don't want to touch it too much, but I'd imagine it's got a texture/feel of lotion almost, actually.. it's got a texture like male ejaculate now that I think about it. Kind of squishy, wet, yet syrup like, although not sticky much at all, it readily is absorbed through your skin with some rubbing. Sorry for the imagery, but that truly is the best description I can think of. It's also sitting on top of the leaves, not inside of them like whatever it is in that previous picture. I'll see if I can get a pic, but I don't have a camera atm. Whatever it is I see no reason to believe it's harmful in any way, but not sure why it's there either.

Edited by krypto2000 (10/03/13 11:17 AM)

InvisibleCrushNazT
Male

Loc: Colorado Flag
    #687432 - 10/03/13 11:16 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

what kind of water and nutes are you using? are you getting water on the leaves?

Offlinekrypto2000

Re: What is this oily liquid on my plants? [Re: CrushNazT]
    #687433 - 10/03/13 11:19 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

I had been misting the leaves sometimes, and it's outdoors, so of course at night as the dew settles they get wet anyhow. The only thing I've fed it is some miracle grow well over a month ago which I didn't like using so have since stopped. Otherwise it's completely organic and has just been feeding on whatever is already in the soil.

edit: Oh and the water is well water. The well does have a taste and is rather high in minerals, not sure what else might be in there.

Edited by krypto2000 (10/03/13 11:21 AM)

InvisibleCrushNazT
Male

#687435 - 10/03/13 11:25 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

my bad. i thought that pic magash posted was the OPs for some reason.

Edited by CrushNazT (10/04/13 09:05 PM)

Offlinekrypto2000

#687437 - 10/03/13 11:32 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

It doesn't look like that either upon googling some images. It's either something the plant is excreting or something that has landed on it. Is there oil inside of the trichomes? What happens if they break and/or smear? Keep in mind I also first noticed it in rather big layers spread across the top of the soil in the pots well over a month back or so. Any virus or infection typically will not 'float' to the top of the pot like that. It looks exactly like what I'm pretty sure is slug slime which I've seen on some of my mushroom patches, however like I've said I've never seen any slugs on my plants and afaik they don't even like marijuana do they? I certainly don't know how they could have gotten to the top of a couple of the colas, slimed on them, and yet left no slime anywhere leading up to the cola, plus they didn't seem to eat anything.

Edited by krypto2000 (10/03/13 11:34 AM)

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #687438 - 10/03/13 11:33 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

How can you say it looks like mosaic virus without having seen it?

Get some pictures up OP.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: What is this oily liquid on my plants? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #687440 - 10/03/13 11:34 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Just because you haven't seen slugs, doesn't mean they aren't there.  Slugs and snails are nocturnal for the most part.

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlinekrypto2000

#687441 - 10/03/13 11:38 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

I looked up pictures of mosaic virus and I've looked at my own plant. The mosaic virus is patchy throughout the leaves, this is a slime/oil that is sitting on top of the leaves and even stretches between a couple of leaf tips that are close together (what kind of virus or bacteria hops through the air jumping from leaf to leaf like that?).

Fwiw I always would go slug hunting at night when my mushrooms were coming in so I'm well aware they're nocturnal. When hunting for them on my mushroom patches I'd tend to inspect the plants at the same time, one of which is right by another mushroom patch which has hardly had any slug issues compared to the ones further away under a tree. So there's a low concentration of slugs around the plant, plus they have mushrooms around the plant which they'd likely stop to eat at before climbling up into the pot, but also I've only found one single tiny slug on the plant the whole time she's been growing. That might be what it is, but it just doesn't seem particularly likely. Assuming it is slug juice will it cause any harm/should I try to wash it off?

edit: Actually I did read the mosaic virus can be caused by tobacco smoke and I have smoked around the plants. I try to keep it away, certainly don't blow it on them by any means, and it still looks nothing like the mosaic virus based on pictures I've seen.

As a whole she's looking quite healthy. There's lots of dying leaves on it which I've just left alone figuring she's sucking the nutrients out of them/killing them off to put them towards bud production and there's a few synthetic fibers which fell off a blanket which are stuck on some of the buds that I haven't bothered pulling off cause it's a pita, but otherwise I haven't had an issue with her in awhile. I'm mainly just curious what this might be and if it's any cause for concern. Would the cannabinoids possibly evaporate and/or condense and cause an oil like this to form? I'm thinking it's either something like that or it's slug juices, both seem just as (un)likely to me :shrug:. Right now it's more of a curiosity than anything.

Edited by krypto2000 (10/03/13 11:46 AM)

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #687445 - 10/03/13 11:46 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:

Get some pictures up OP.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleCrushNazT
Male

#687641 - 10/04/13 09:03 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
How can you say it looks like mosaic virus without having seen it?

Get some pictures up OP.

my bad. i thought the OP posted the pic that magash posted. i had my screen blown up earlier.

Edited by CrushNazT (10/04/13 09:06 PM)

Offlinekrypto2000

#687689 - 10/05/13 08:42 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

I'm pretty sure it's slug juices. I went out thought last night and found quite a few slugs on her.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds