Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedodgem
Stranger
Just looking for a few pointers
    #685852 - 09/20/13 09:39 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

So my roommate and I decided to attempt to grow some green.  She grew 2 plants a few years back I guess, but it was pretty basic from what I know. 

As of right now we have 5 plants ~4-6in tall growing outside in some pretty normal soil.  Not sure of the sex of the plants, I guess we will find that out later.  Once they get a bit bigger we plan to bring them from the back porch to inside the house.  I have not done a ton of research, but I know there are certain lights we should get.  Now we are not trying to get the absolute maximum amount of weight from these plants, just want to have a successful grow then go from there in the future.   

So, can we just keep growing in regular 'out of the bag' garden soil with some cheap/normal lights?  Any tips would be greatly appreciated and/or a solid tek that would help out. 

I have been a member of the shroomery for a few years now and expect that the growery is full of just as cool people.  Not sure if I have time for both forums, but only time will tell I suppose.

--------------------
walk where you like your steps

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Just looking for a few pointers [Re: dodgem]
    #685853 - 09/20/13 09:47 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

So growing marijuana isn't as simple as mushrooms.  It's much harder to just follow a tek and voila. 

Yes you need specific lights.  And there are a lot of options.  I personally would recommend HID lights.

It's best to go with a soil from a grow store.  Fox Farms or the like.

I suggest you purchase this book, https://www.google.com/search?q=jorge+cervantes+grow+bible&oq=jorge+cer&aqs=chrome.2.0j69i57j0j5.4734j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=jorge+cervantes+grow+bible&tbm=shop

Do more research.  A ton of it.  By the sounds of things you haven't looked much into what it's going to take.  Don't expect big yields and the best pot ever your first go around.  This hobby take a lot more practice and dedication compared to growing shrooms.

Good luck!  And welcome :cookiemonster:

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #685871 - 09/21/13 12:29 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Just so you know it's the time of year when the plants start to flower so if you keep them outside they are going to start to bud before they get a chance to grow big and your gonna be harvesting a few bonghits.

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinedodgem
Stranger

Re: Just looking for a few pointers [Re: Magash]
    #685903 - 09/21/13 10:08 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the tips guys.  I just borrowed a couple growing books from a friend so I am going to do some research over the next week or so. 

Oh and I forgot that I have a nutrient kit.  It is from technaflora and is the 10 piece starter kit, got it for free at summercamp.  Any advice on using that/any experience with it?

--------------------

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #685907 - 09/21/13 12:51 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Never used that brand.  A 10 part line though?  Sounds like overkill.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offlinedodgem
Stranger

Re: Just looking for a few pointers [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #687309 - 10/02/13 10:34 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Yea, although for the veg stage you mix 5 of them together, 6 for the flowering stage, etc. 

So me and the roommate have made a few decisions on what we want to do with our plants in the future and I just wanted to run it by y'all and look for pointers/advice. 

Here is what we have so far and are working with for location.  It's about a 2x1 area. 

So me and my roommate decided on going with CFL's for this round.  Guessing we will have 1-3 females in the end.  As of right now we have 3 CFL's hovering over the plants.  We are going to set up a little rig in order to move the lights up as time goes on (pvc and a rope across to hang the lights from).  We plan on going 18 hours for the veg period.  We planned on the time and realized if we finished in ~3 months the flowering stage would occur over xmas break and no one would be at the house for a couple weeks.  So we are hoping with the 18 hour daily light it won't grow quite as fast as it would if they were under 24 hours of light, therefore prolonging the growth of the plants as we are only looking to reach a max of 3-3.5 ft due to space.  Does that make sense and could it work?

We plan on transplanting them in a couple days to 3 gallon pots.  Is there any specific type of pot we should get (plastic, clay, etc).  We just plan on using regular potting soil.  Not really sure why we are doing this, just seems the easiest.  I have coir from the other grows I do and have seen a few using that and perlite as a soil, is this any better?  We don't have any grow stores around us so that special soil isn't really a possibility. 

I also plan on getting a 'cover' for the plants specifically made for growing (reflective white on one side, black on outside).  Most grows I have seen pictures of have used something of the sort, or something like a grow tent.  Is this a necessity for growing just a couple plants.  Then we have a couple small fans we planned on using for intake and outtake airflow. 

And what about training/scrog method for keeping the plants shorter, how big of a benefit is it?  Would it be smart to try this on just one plant to get some experience with it. 

What else might we be missing/need to take into account?

--------------------

Edited by dodgem (10/02/13 10:48 PM)

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #687340 - 10/03/13 01:52 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

you should take care in selecting a soil that doesn't hold so much water. Those indoor soil mixes are made for house plants that people don't like to water very often, not for fast growing plants they hold way too much and are too tough for the roots to grow. I always see bonzai and thin stretched out plants come from that junk. They call it Miracle Grow because it's a miracle that anything grows in it. Get a soil that has good drainage. Your coir and perlite should help a lot if you have no other choice, I would use a majority of that, 50-75% and rely on feeding the plant manually.

clay pots suck for re-potting, so I've never used them in flower. I like the superroots airpots that are rigid or the cloth, but they need a ring stand to stay off the ground, the airpots have one built in. Not too expensive, but they're good to work with.

If your going CFL you'll need a lot of for 3' plants. A few other florescent bulbs are better/cheaper, like the t5 and pll style (I think thats what they're called) but they're not going to grow the best of nuggets, usually stretched out and leafy. You can get dense bud with it, but it usually takes a lot.

Me personally I like LED lighting. Its much more expensive to get into but much gentler on the plants. Its not too bad of an investment if your trying to just grow a few plants in a small area. If your used to buying bud it will usually more than pay for itself with the first harvest, with most having a 3yr warranty. The good thing with LED is that you can get a really intense light in a small focused area giving you buds like the larger bulbs but not having to run that much wattage. You sacrifice area coverage, but if your doing a small grow it shouldn't matter anyway. No bulbs to deal with, no hot equipment, and from what I've noticed the leaf is much less crispy/cooked than when using HID.

That said, DO NOT JUST BUY AN LED GROW LIGHT! Most of the market is flooded with cheap Chinese garbage. I'd recommend the Advanced LED's Diamond series. You'd probably be good with the 200w in a 2.5x3' area. 100w would work, but not nearly as well as the 200w. It costs $545 but after three years you'll be able to laugh at the price. There are a few out there that might save you a little money and work similar, but Advanced is the only brand that I can confirm works very good.

Topping/LST works pretty well with LED since it evens out the canopy height. It depends on your situation as to top or not, some plants don't like it, or if they're going to be small plants they're sometimes too small of buds... you need to test the plant out and see how it responds. You probably just want to let them go natural at first, or maybe top one and see how it responds.

panda film is cheap, but so are small grow tents. make sure to have good ventilation, and put an oscillating fan on your plants to help keep them from stretching so much.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Offlinedodgem
Stranger

Re: Just looking for a few pointers [Re: phychotron]
    #687484 - 10/03/13 05:12 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks man, I appreciate the help.  I will look into those lights.  I was thinking the 100w would be suffice, and might try to keep our plants under 3 ft, anything over seems like it will be a bit much. And I plan on just letting these grow naturally, and then maybe next time around I will test out the topping/training method. 

And those air pots are pretty nice looking, if there isn't anything good by me might purchase a few of those. We will most likely go with a mixture like you mentioned in the pots.  ~25-35% loose soil, ~50% coir, and then the rest perlite, that should keep things well draining.

Oh, and I have a fluorescent tube light from my old fish tank, is that going to benefit the plants at all? 

--------------------

Edited by dodgem (10/03/13 05:28 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract