Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
Marijuana Ruling Could Signal End of Prohibition on Pot
    #683927 - 08/31/13 09:51 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

It's legal to light up in Colorado and Washington, and soon smoking pot could be legalized across the country following a decision Thursday by the federal government.

After Washington state and Colorado passed laws in November 2012 legalizing the consumption and sale of marijuana for adults over 18, lawmakers in both states waited to see whether the federal government would continue to prosecute pot crimes under federal statutes in their states.

Both Colorado and Washington have been working to set up regulatory systems in order to license and tax marijuana growers and retail sellers, but have been wary of whether federal prosecutors would come after them for doing so. They are the first states to legalize pot, and therefore to go through the process of trying to set up a regulatory system.

Consumption and sale of marijuana is still illegal in all other states, though some cities and towns have passed local laws decriminalizing it or making it a low priority for law enforcement officers. There are also movements in many states to legalize pot, including legalization bills introduced in Maine and Rhode Island, discussion of possible bills in states including Massachusetts and Vermont, and talk of ballot initiatives in California and Oregon.

But on Thursday, the Department of Justice announced that it would not prosecute marijuana crimes that were legal under state law, a move that could signal the end of the country's longtime prohibition on pot is nearing. "It certainly appears to be potentially the beginning of the end," said Paul Armantano, deputy director of the pot lobby group NORML.

The memo sent to states Thursday by the DOJ said that as long as states set up comprehensive regulations governing marijuana, there would be no need for the federal government to step in, a decision that will save the Justice Department from having to use its limited resources on prosecuting individuals for growing or smoking marijuana.

"This memo appears to be sending the message to states regarding marijuana prohibition that is a recognition that a majority of the public and in some states majority of lawmakers no longer want to continue down the road of illegal cannabis, and would rather experiment with different regulatory schemes of license and retail sale of cannabis," Armantano said.

"It certainly appears to be potentially the beginning of the end."

Richard Collins, a law professor at the University of Colorado Boulder, said that the memo from the DOJ points out specifically that the federal government will only walk away from marijuana crimes in states where there is a solid regulatory system for the drug's growth and disemenation.

For other states to mimic the systems in Colorado and Washington, they will first have to get legalization laws on their ballots or in their state houses, which could post a challenge, he said.

While Colorado and Washington have not yet set up their regulatory systems, both states will likely sell licenses to farmers who want to grow marijuana as well as to manufacturing plants and retail sellers. The marijuana will also likely be taxed at each stage of its growth, processing, and sale.

"In both Colorado and Washington, legalization was done by citizens with no participation by elected representatives until they had to pass laws to comply with the initiative. In other initiative states I would expect such measures - I would expect a new one in California, for instance - and roughly half the states permit this and the rest don't.

So what do you guys think?Do you think the prohibition on cannabis has it's days numbered?
IMO it seems the only people up in arms about this is "Law Enforcement Agencies".

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinevolcomstoner
Just one more xanax
 User Gallery

Loc: Gaybec
Re: Marijuana Ruling Could Signal End of Prohibition on Pot [Re: Deadkndys420]
    #683943 - 09/01/13 01:37 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Nothing is happening until Federal Law is changed.
How any times have they announced that the raids of legal dispensaries would end?

--------------------

Vas donc jouer dans le traffic

InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
Re: Marijuana Ruling Could Signal End of Prohibition on Pot [Re: volcomstoner]
    #683945 - 09/01/13 01:48 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

You're not looking at the bigger picture. If more states legalize cannabis with no intervention from the government then the federal government will eventually be forced to "legalize" it.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Re: Marijuana Ruling Could Signal End of Prohibition on Pot [Re: volcomstoner] * 1
    #683948 - 09/01/13 02:12 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

That's kind of what this is. The feds are saying they are going to let the states do their thing. Yeah they have said they are going to leave the clubs alone before but it's never been the  Department of Justice that has said it. This is kind of a big deal for getting it legalized which I'm not sure if I'm for or not yet.

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinevolcomstoner
Just one more xanax
 User Gallery

Loc: Gaybec
Re: Marijuana Ruling Could Signal End of Prohibition on Pot [Re: Deadkndys420]
    #683949 - 09/01/13 03:06 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Deadkndys420 said:
You're not looking at the bigger picture. If more states legalize cannabis with no intervention from the government then the federal government will eventually be forced to "legalize" it.

I realize this is still huge progress, but idk maybe I'm just in disbelief that something like this is finally happening. It's great news, but there is still a long ways to go. I'm very excited to see where this goes though, everything is moving in the right direction that's for sure.

I hope they really do let the states do their thing, that will definitely start off a chain reaction for other states to follow. :thumbup:

--------------------

Vas donc jouer dans le traffic

OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Re: Marijuana Ruling Could Signal End of Prohibition on Pot [Re: Magash]
    #683958 - 09/01/13 05:41 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
This is kind of a big deal for getting it legalized which I'm not sure if I'm for or not yet.

I agree. It's hard to tell which way things will go once it's legalized. I'm still very uneasy on the topic. Until I can see that legalization won't land me out of a job I'm against it for my state and the country.

There was recently a bill floating around for legalization in my state, but thankfully the house shot it down. The bill was designed for out of state interests (Berkeley patients group) to send more money and people out here to cash in and take over.

It's weird for me to think about being against legalization. It just doesn't seem right.

--------------------
"Marijuana may not be addictive, but growing it is" - ED Rosenthal

Maine Caregiver In 100% compliance with Maine state laws.

InvisibleMycophile
 User Gallery

Re: Marijuana Ruling Could Signal End of Prohibition on Pot [Re: Magash]
    #683963 - 09/01/13 08:34 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
This is kind of a big deal for getting it legalized which I'm not sure if I'm for or not yet.
:happyweed:

Why not? You worried Monsanto is going to make some round-up ready weed and monopolize everything? That's essentially impossible the way I see it.

The only other people I know who oppose it are the dealers who don't want to get a job.

Edit: Just saw this- Police Groups Protest Holder's Marijuana Policy Announcement

Edited by Mycophile (09/01/13 08:45 AM)

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Re: Marijuana Ruling Could Signal End of Prohibition on Pot [Re: Mycophile]
    #683977 - 09/01/13 11:38 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Actually there are a lot of reasons I opposed legalization in Oregon.  Sure one of them was it would eventually bring my already way too low prices down even more.  But more importantly, it was very poorly written legislation.  So was Washington's. 

For example, in Washington, they wrote into it that if you get pulled over and the officer thinks you are high, they can test you and based on the results of the test can give you a DUI.  Hopefully you can see how this doesn't make any sense.  I could have smoked a week before driving, yet I will still test positive.  Yet could still get a DUI for it.  So how would we regulate something like that? 

It's a complicated issue without many answers yet.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisibleUltimateDevotion
TwistedByDesign
Male User Gallery

Re: Marijuana Ruling Could Signal End of Prohibition on Pot [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #684019 - 09/02/13 08:06 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

In this day and age I'm positive we have the technical capabilities to narrow that window of time. It's just so wrong how the length of time marijuana stays in ones system can affect things like hiring and firing and DUIs, etc.

--------------------
Harry Detroit in 304 made one last promise now
"I'm goin out without a trace, a vanishing act before your eyes"

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies