Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

Loc: funkytown Flag
Roots question
    #677479 - 07/09/13 07:09 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I transplanted my Girl Scout Cookie from a 3 gal smart pot to a 5 gal plastic pot to finish and in process tore some roots like Velcro away from the pot. Needless to say it bounced back just fine. Even better than I would have thought. My question is do roots respond to stress like foliage where as when you "top" or "fim" 2 or more grow in place? I wouldn't be surprised if the stress on the roots cause a Hydra effect causing more roots to spring from the one severed root end.

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTomCollins

Re: Roots question [Re: GreenHorns]
    #677480 - 07/09/13 07:58 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Probably. In the end, it slows overall growth.

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #677482 - 07/09/13 08:00 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Transplanting is something that you need to learn to time out. You should never repot right before you put in flower, or during flower. Otherwise the plant spends more energy rooting than flowering. Every time I've up-potted within a week of flower they've been disappointing. The plant needs time to recover its root structure when its NOT putting in the effort to reproduce.

Trimming the root ball is what you do to a mother plant once a year or so when your reporting in the same size container to promote new growth. Its also a step in making bonsai when you use a smaller container.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

OfflineSmokeSomeHash
Littlest pee pee on da block
 User Gallery

Loc: murica Flag
Re: Roots question [Re: phychotron]
    #677484 - 07/09/13 09:19 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Yes the roots respond to "topping" too.

You dont cut the roots though unless a bonsai like above poster...

Smart pots and air pots will air prune the root tips for you

--------------------

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

Re: Roots question [Re: SmokeSomeHash]
    #677490 - 07/09/13 11:32 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I transplanted about 3 weeks prior to flowering. The plant was very well acclimated to the new pot. Just thinking about how well it grew and easily it recovered.
This really has me thinking now about if this step from 3gal smart pot to 5gal conventional finishing pot can benefit the plants growth or budding abilities. Sure it will slow growth a few days but so does any high stress training. I'm going to do a grow log on my 4 clones. 2 grandad and 2 sensi star that are all growing very symmetrically. I'll move 1 of both into a 3 gal conventional from the smart pot and see how they grow in comparison to the sibling plants left in smart pots.

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

#677706 - 07/11/13 11:34 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Went in with a skewer and separated  the roots from the pot. Decided keeping them all in the same kind of pot would make for better control of the grow. I'm going to give them 10-14 days then flush then kick into flower. My guess is yield goes up with root trained plants.

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

#677892 - 07/13/13 11:08 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Both plants that had roots separated from pot are a day ahead of the other 2 untouched clones on feeding. Growth looks pretty uniform but these are drinking more.

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

OfflineSam.Cee916
Amateur Tiger Expert
Male User Gallery

Loc: California Flag
    #678586 - 07/18/13 01:34 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Si! I believe your right. Like FIM and how it turns 1 growing shoot to multiples, so does pruning roots. It's done with air in smart pots, once root tips hit the oxygen, and light they stop and sprout back find more prime real estate, instead of a root bound plant in a normal pot, the air encourages the roots to take up space in the center. A root bound plant has very little root mass in the center of the soil, and they use some sort of copper in normal pots aka chem root pruning. I believe the amount that ripped of may have certainly grown in this fashion. Also whether or not your using mycorrhizae can make a huge difference. Excuse me if you know, but from my experience plants are generally more vigorous with them, and plants rebound from stress much quicker, and much better. I wish I had pics from last year, In a hurry up effort to put on more weight I decided to dig a 2ft whole to put my potted 10gallon plants into giving them a modified raised bed. Amending the ground soil, and burying the Smartpots an inch down made my plants literally quadruple in a month, I give lots of cred to the probiotics, and the air pruning at the 1st foot from smart pots, I now use this TEK outside always.

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

Re: Roots question [Re: Sam.Cee916]
    #678613 - 07/18/13 06:25 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah they seem to like them as finishing pots. I can't tell any real growth benefit yet from doing it but no stunting which is good.

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

OfflineSam.Cee916
Amateur Tiger Expert
Male User Gallery

#678639 - 07/18/13 09:28 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, I've noticed that also. I personally couldn't tell if it was because of the pots, or the probiotics. I've used them together everytime. They do make bad ass "raised beds" saves on soil, amendments etc. produces nicely too. I need newer pics of these girls, they've been bent and lowered their profiles and its becoming a single solid canopy the size of the whole all 5 are in, it's not completely but I could see it, and would be hard to achieve.

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

#678644 - 07/18/13 09:44 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I always wanted to try them. Might have to pick a couple up next time I hit up the shop.

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

OfflineSam.Cee916
Amateur Tiger Expert
Male User Gallery

#678696 - 07/19/13 11:34 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

The cloth ones are great too, I use the hard because they were gifted, the fiber bags aka airports come up to 200 gallons. They however are not reusable, if you use them on the ground roots breach the bag. The hard ones Smartpots, come apart in three pieces. The sides roll into a cylinder around a plastic circular screen type bottom with a single blue screw to secure them. One issue with the hard pots, is that ants like to try and colonize them, it took me 2 weeks to rid my pots of them, it was easy though, borax and sugar water with a homemade insect spray, I use a mix of a little hot sauce, nicotine, olive oil, and ivory soap, works great! The nicotine kills, the oil suffocates, soap is a spreader sticker, hot sauce is a repellent, it's all good and mostly safe.this is today, 7/19/13

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #678852 - 07/20/13 07:32 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

my personal opinion on smart pots are this: the 1L are well worth it, especially with an aerocloner.

I plant the clones when the roots look like this, not long/hard to transplant. (Scrape technique and 1ml Superthive per gallon of water in the cloner, NOTHING ELSE!!!!) This is about as good as it gets, longer roots are harder to transplant and they don't take as well as that explosion of tips.

day 8 (summer 3-10, winter 5-14 days)

and soon the roots look like they're ready for transplanting... Growth starts at the tips, no swirling and it just shoots right out into the new pot.

day 27 off the mother, the leaves that have the tips missing are the only original leaves that were taken with the clone.

The larger pots are not really necessary unless you plan to keep up-potting, but i find its not necessary after the 1L prep. I go into 5 gal, Cloth work just as well but are not rigid and need a ring stand to keep from sitting directly on the ground, so the only benefit I see for the larger smart-pots is that they have the ring-stands built in for bottom airflow. The cloth bags cannot take a fall as well as a Smart pot, those can drop and keep the plant and most the medium, whereas bags spill out and are harder to transfer.

So to recap, I suggest to everyone they get a few of the 1L for starts, the larger are optional if you feel like spending the $ over cloth (which is not too much $ difference until your large scale) rogue hydro had 1L's for the best price last I checked.

Oh, and I'm in coco too, so the root growth really tends to accelerate over other mediums I've tried.

Here are some from the side, note how short/stalky they are as well, they really love these pots. I'm sure everyone knows that its not as easy to get plants to beef out like that when they're still less than 3 weeks off the mother plant. Prior to using the 1L Smart pots my main stems would be less than half to a third in thickness and twice as tall from stretching. In fact, I just put a bunch of clones in regular plant cups (for someone else) and they were three times the height, less leaf mass, much much smaller root mass and thiner stalks--same plant and cloning technique, completely different results.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

OfflineSam.Cee916
Amateur Tiger Expert
Male User Gallery

Re: Roots question [Re: phychotron]
    #679300 - 07/26/13 10:38 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

I was gonna post to see if any one used them inside. Your girls look great! With out question, you proved they work indoors! I like them for modes raised beds outdoors!

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

#680264 - 08/02/13 09:09 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

So they are well into flower now. The root trained ones didn't stretch anywhere near as bad. They do seem dense but I don't know if the overall tightness will yield more or be easier to deal with then the taller sisters.

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

OfflineSam.Cee916
Amateur Tiger Expert
Male User Gallery

#680427 - 08/04/13 07:20 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Are they indoor or out? I just put my indoors to flower after adding an extra gallon of medium. They are in they're 24/36 hr dark, then 12, 12, outs are on super grow the last couple weeks at least 2/3" a day.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #680430 - 08/04/13 07:39 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Sam.Cee916 said:
I was gonna post to see if any one used them inside. Your girls look great! With out question, you proved they work indoors! I like them for modes raised beds outdoors!

My daughter uses them indoors.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

Re: Roots question [Re: Magash]
    #680463 - 08/04/13 10:22 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

They are indoors. I see the green thumb is in the family. Oh and those aren't the pots I have been using I've been using the cloth pots.

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

OfflineSam.Cee916
Amateur Tiger Expert
Male User Gallery

Re: Roots question [Re: Magash]
    #680473 - 08/05/13 12:08 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

That's super nice! Here's where I am as of 4 days ago I trained them for safety, live in a shit neighborhood in Sacramento, so I'm not trying to let all the things know where a score is, I'm fencing/locking/fortifying/bobby trapping them this week, I have a full box of Law Enforcement Less Lethal 12g rubber 00 buck shot, and the gun, sensors, everything n more. They are in the explosion phase, every year before buds show they grow like 3" a day, it's almost filling the 4x8  rectangle the 5 are in. Ima try them indoors sometime.

OfflineSam.Cee916
Amateur Tiger Expert
Male User Gallery

#680474 - 08/05/13 12:09 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Cloth ones do the same thing, I like them better for non ground apps(no ants colonizing the medium)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds