Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinechowdan
Stranger
 User Gallery

Need help on getting into LED lights
    #666827 - 04/20/13 10:31 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Hey guys.

Well im in the process of designing my new setup in my new apartment. im going to be upgrading from my cfl 1.2sqft setup to a DIY tent that will likely be either 3x3 or 3x2.

I was going to get hps with digital ballast however I know leds can hold their weight. Im thinking ill have 3-4plants in this area so I need a led to cover that area from veg to flower. I'm thinking i may need to do a scrog grow in my area as i know LED's dont have great penetration

I saw on Amazon a blackstar 240w led for just under 300$. link here

What the general guide for how many watts/par for led grow?

I aslo was thinking maybe a kessil 350? Link here

This will be used through veg and flower, and i know the lights i've got listed aren't specifically for veg, however they seem to be the only ones with a high watts and cost effective.

I'm open to other lights, but just trying to keep my investments low. I figured if i need to i could add lights on the side later.

--------------------
I am a legal patient in Washington. Everything i do and say on here is for personal gain.

- We live in a free country as long as you can follow the governments laws...-

Edited by chowdan (04/20/13 01:07 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMaestro
Strange
Loc: Kiev, Ukraine
Re: Need help on getting into LED lights [Re: chowdan] * 1
    #666843 - 04/20/13 02:05 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

If you have a limited budget then maybe you should think twice about going with led's. the cheaper ones are not worth it according to most people.

Plus, I think they double in power every 6 months, so you will have better led's if you switch later.

Anyway, a 600watt hid would do pretty good in 3 x 3, and great in 3 x 2.

+I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in now that I bumped :dancer:

Offlinechowdan
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Need help on getting into LED lights [Re: Maestro]
    #666860 - 04/20/13 05:33 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Hey thank for that reply.

The reason I was thinking led was due to heat restrictions and also how much money I'd save running them over a hps. I will have to run a 400hps/mh awell. I also don't really what a high powered fan cooling the b ulb and venting cause noise issues.

Somy thinking about going  with led, was I'd save money on elecrticty running a smaller fan and led rather than hps.

I really have about 400, maybe 500 to get a light...but that would really hinder the quality of everything else.

--------------------
I am a legal patient in Washington. Everything i do and say on here is for personal gain.

OfflineMaestro
Strange
Re: Need help on getting into LED lights [Re: chowdan]
    #666869 - 04/20/13 07:38 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

A 600watt+reflector+fan will come out to about 350.

With led's you save money in the long run, but the initial investment is more.

OfflineAngus
Trailer Park Supervisor
Male

Loc: Middle east coast
Re: Need help on getting into LED lights [Re: Maestro]
    #666884 - 04/20/13 09:00 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

If you're really interested in LEDs...

Quote:

P Jennings said (on a different forum):
LED's have arrived and at an affordable price - What LED companies don't want you to know

As many of you know I decided a while back to take the plunge and get rid of all T5, and HID lighting. While some said I was crazy for doing so, I am quite sure there were a lot more thinking it. In the back of my mind I was a little skeptical however having a buddy in the business made it a little easier for me.

He had told me about the company that produced the pretty popular [most sold in the world] Black Star products. I contacted them, was able to design the lights to my specs exactly and away we went. I spent a few months doing all of my research and along the way I learned a ton of info. The one thing I really found odd was that online people say to stay away from the Chinese lights.

Well I am here to tell you that the top 3 to 5 companies in the world currently are using Chinese makers, and all of them are in the US. One even claims to have their own factory in China, but are way ahead of the "Chinese knock off companies". They even went on to bad mouth the company I used and rather than explain why their company is better, they thought the best way to sell an item was badmouth. That company is Pro Source and for any of their potential worker bees floating around here, you guys can blow me. @PGW @Melvan @starwarz were all standing there as I quizzed them at the Detroit Maximum Yield grow show, and saw first hand how these guys decided to market to us. The last comment they made as we were walking away is "Hopefully these knock off companies will stop trying to copy us."
    Bla Bla Bla.... Again, blow me.

Well as I learned some of the info while researching I was actually able to get some info that I am quite sure some of these companies didn't want me to know. I spoke to the CEO's of both Blackstar, and California Light works, and I asked them point blank some questions that caught them quite off guard. CLW while on the phone with me claimed they had a call come in and asked if they could call me back. They had my phone number and email and I never heard back. What a surprise...

I did have a much better conversation with the CEO of Blackstar however when asked if my company was producing their lights they played completely dumb and acted as though they were a "third party" in fact that's exactly what they told me and claimed "We are not sure who the company is that produces out lights." I had to just LMAO @them.

I was about a day away from placing my order at that time and they told me of this "new light" that was going to come out soon. It was called the "Chrome light" by Blackstar. Well this new Chrome light is the new lights I am running however it is not called that by the designer.

The maker is a company called Cidly, and the line is the Apollo series. They are in China and will sell direct. Disclaimer - I am in no way suggesting that one goes out and uses this company. I am posting all of this so that you can have some incite as to what is really going on with LED's.

In any event if you go to the Gotham Hydroponics site you can see first hand the new Chrome Series lights they are selling now. They will come with their specs, and they are priced with shipping included. Their new 270w FSF Lighthouse Hydro BlackStar Chrome Grow light Flowering LED-L020 lists for $439.95 delivered. While I ordered only two of these and 6 of another light, my price delivered was around $250.00 including shipping from Cidly which BTW does not list any pricing. It is up to you to negotiate the best deal you can get from the salesperson you get. It will also be based on how many lights you're gonna order and shipping is high so plan accordingly.

--------------------
I used to grow pot.  I still do grow pot, but I used to grow it too.
*Seedsharer*
You got my cheez whiz, boy?

Edited by Angus (04/28/13 09:16 AM)

Offlinechowdan
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Need help on getting into LED lights [Re: Angus]
    #666982 - 04/21/13 05:42 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Hey thanks for that!

I've heard of Cidly, however i have never talked wtih anyone that has dealt with them.

Have you worked wtih them at all? If so whats the average cost of their setups?

I've sent an email off, hopefully i'll hear back from them soon!

If i can get two setups for the price of a BS Chrome 270, ill be jumping on it ASAP. I will also start getting friends into LED's as they dont want to take the plunge until they see it in person.

--------------------

OfflinePoloDown
Stranger Danger

#667070 - 04/22/13 11:27 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

FINALLY I know who made my apollo LED then.  It was Cidly!!  I always wondered who made it and who would honor the warranty that is supplied with my led panel.

I just printed out my eBay receipt from a few months ago so I have proof to Cidly if I ever run into trouble.

Offlinechowdan
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Need help on getting into LED lights [Re: PoloDown]
    #667181 - 04/23/13 06:10 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Haha glad I mentioned this! Without knowing who's company the light comes from makes any amount of warranty worthless.

How are you liking your fixture? what model do you have and hows your plants doing?

Do you have a grow journal?:laugh:

--------------------

OfflinePoloDown
Stranger Danger

#667190 - 04/23/13 10:25 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

I love my fixture its the 280w ( actuall watts ) apollo model.  My plants love it, minimal stretch and theyre flowering perfect.  The foot print could be wider, its very direct but you can have them change the lens angle for you.  I have a secondary 180w panel on the side hanging vertical so that helps.

No journal right now, its too much work

InvisibleP-O

#667970 - 04/27/13 11:28 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

www.dormgrow.com

this site has good reviews around the net (and a few vids of plants harvesting nicely under em on youtube).  They are cheaper then the diamond ones (which are suppose to be the best of the market ive read) and are suppose to be a higher end LED.

but like said above... most the cheap ones are china shitty LEDs....  so if u do choose LED.  research research research..... there are a few guys who flower under (quality)LEDs on here... and get nice results (small grows)

Low budget = Stick with HPS

http://www.theweedblog.com/led-cannabis-grow-light-review/

Edited by P-O (04/27/13 11:33 PM)

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Need help on getting into LED lights [Re: P-O]
    #672100 - 05/22/13 12:49 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Did you ever buy any LED's? Stay away from the blackstar and other low end lights. Theres a lot of things to consider, but for that size area I'd go with Advanced LED Diamond Series XML. The 150 is $550 and would cover a 3x3 area, the 350 is $1000 and would rock the hell out of the plants in that space.  Well worth the investment if you want to get into LED.

I've tried the blackstar and a few other no-name fixtures and they just don't produce the buds like the Advanced fixtures do.

http://www.advancedledlights.com/3w-led-grow-lights/new-diamond-series-xml-10w-cree-xml/

http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/647402/page/1

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

OfflinePoloDown
Stranger Danger

Re: Need help on getting into LED lights [Re: phychotron]
    #672106 - 05/22/13 01:25 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

I actually read the contrary on another site from a long time LED veteran, rhapsodyrocks on Grass city.  He was actually very skeptical of Advanced LED, their manufactoring and business.  I believe he tracked down the manufactoring process to be a copy of some other none brand name LED, basically putting it out there that they are nothing special.  Now, I am not saying anything bad about advanced because I have never used them but I am saying that I think someone needs to look into them further.

InvisibleP-O

#672113 - 05/22/13 03:41 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

na i havent yet phychotron .

there is so many pro and negative things said about led.... i think if ur sticking to small thing u should be good.

watch a few "led vs hps" vids on youtube.  and "LED HARVEST"  :lookslucrative:

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #672161 - 05/23/13 01:04 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

PoloDown said:
I actually read the contrary on another site from a long time LED veteran, rhapsodyrocks on Grass city.  He was actually very skeptical of Advanced LED, their manufactoring and business.  I believe he tracked down the manufactoring process to be a copy of some other none brand name LED, basically putting it out there that they are nothing special.  Now, I am not saying anything bad about advanced because I have never used them but I am saying that I think someone needs to look into them further.

Their was some controversy about when they did business with eShine in the beginning, and there are still imitations out there. Its well known that pretty much all these LED fixtures are made in china, maybe even in the same factory. The difference lies in the specs that each different LED vendor use--number of bands, brand diodes, lens angle, bin,  and a number of other factors. You can make the exact same fixture with the exact same everything except not top BIN diodes and you lose 20-40% light intensity at the same wattage--but they are both called the exact same diode, so they can advertise they're using those name brand diodes. There are hundreds of options and ways to cut corners, and no real way of knowing what the guy in china is doing to save a few yen.

When you go through a local vendor they're ordering the same configuration time after time and keeping quality tabs on the manufacturer. According to Advanced they broke the deal with eShine because of poor quality, eShine said it was because they all of a sudden wanted a lower price. I had to fix some fans on early model DS's that had ES# serial numbers, and they used the bare minimum amount of wire and it broke from the power supplies--soldiered wires instead of the standard plugs. I assume by the ES serials and the time frame at which they were purchased that they were eShine. My larger fixture, purchased later, does not have a serial number at all.

If you find a dealer who's lights you like you'll probably stick with them in the future. I know there are some decent light companies coming out these days, but I'm still skeptical to spend the money on a different brand. I know the Diamond Series is able to produce amazing buds. Customer service is pretty important also, they're pretty fast to get your problems solved at Advanced. I have yet to hear any actual owner say they don't like their DS. I have heard about people being skeptical on the internet though, its contagious.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #672165 - 05/23/13 05:27 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

I'm gonna derail the shit out of this, well, because I can. 

Phyco, point me in the direction I would need to go to replace 4000 watts of HID with LED, if you would be so kind.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Need help on getting into LED lights [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #672208 - 05/23/13 11:03 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

First off, there is no direct universal conversion, and get it out of your head that you need to compare everything to a bulb. If you call Advanced they'd help you set up your area, as most LED vendors would.

--------------------

OfflineMaestro
Strange
    #672221 - 05/23/13 02:42 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

How much led of that brand is needed to yield 4lb

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #672222 - 05/23/13 02:52 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

phychotron said:
First off, there is no direct universal conversion, and get it out of your head that you need to compare everything to a bulb. If you call Advanced they'd help you set up your area, as most LED vendors would.

That's not what I really meant to do, and I wasn't trying to start anything.  I'm really interested in what you would recommend to try and get yields like I'm getting with the current setup.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Need help on getting into LED lights [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #672231 - 05/23/13 04:08 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

"4000w" is a pretty vague setup.

--------------------

InvisibleP-O

#672238 - 05/23/13 04:19 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

advanced is sooo expensive.  have you heard any first hand stuff on the dorm panels?

they seem pretty reasonable priced for american made good leds.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules