Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags, Contam-Resistant All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineManitou
Indépendantiste
Male User Gallery

Loc: Québecédelic
PERU BANS MOSANTO AND OTHER GMO'S
    #665958 - 04/13/13 06:40 PM (11 years, 9 days ago)

This is some awesome news for the natives and the poorer social classes.

Link: http://www.foodrenegade.com/peru-bans-monsanto-gmos/

Quote:

Peru Bans Monsanto and GMOs
The first time I ever tasted a real tomato, I was in Cusco, Peru. I had picked them up at a Farmer’s Market, bought them from an old lady with wizened wrinkles and sun-browned skin. She’d carried a basket of them to market on foot from her scrap of land somewhere far down the mountain. It was a revelation — heaven and sunlight on my tongue! I never knew tomatoes could pack such flavor.

I fell in love with the country and it’s people, the Quechua indians who are the remnants of the once proud Incas.

Thanks to the indomitable spirit of that people, a ten-year ban on GMOs takes effect this week in Peru!

Stephanie Whiteside reports,

Peru’s ban on GMO foods prohibits the import, production and use of genetically modified foods. The law is aimed at safeguarding the country’s agricultural diversity and preventing cross-pollination with non-GMO crops. It will also help protect Peruvian exports of organic products.
    (source)

The victory is a long time coming.

The decree banning GMO foods was drafted in 2008. It not only bans GMO crops like Monsanto’s BT-Corn, but also expands on a prior law that required all foods on supermarket shelves that contain GMOs to be labeled. Those GMO containing foods will now be completely banned. After being subjected to public discussion, being amended, and finally passed in the Peruvian congress in April of 2011, the ban is finally going into effect this week.

A study done in April of 2011 by the Peruvian Association of Consumers and Users (ASPEC) tested 13 products purchased in major supermarkets and shops in Lima, Peru. Unsurprisingly, 10 out of 13 tested positive for containing GMOs.

President of ASPEC, Crisólogo Cáceres, comments,

Research by ASPEC confirms something that Peruvians knew all along: GM foods are on the shelves of our markets and wineries, and consumers buy them and take them into their homes to eat without knowing it. Nobody tells us, no one says anything, which involves a clear violation of our right to information.
    (source)
One of the biggest fears Peruvian farmers have regarding GMOs is the loss of biodiversity. In the scene above, Peruvian farmers in ponchos and chullos chanted outside of the Municipality of Lima. They represented the Parque de la Papa in Cusco, a farming community of 6,000 people who worry that the introduction of GMOs can and will compromise many of the famous native Peruvian species including purple corn, giant white corn, and the potato.

Alejandro Argumedo of the ANDES Association in Cusco says he worries about the physiological effects the introduction of GMOs would have on Peru’s native species. He says Peru has one of the top 10 biodiversities in the world, and it needs to be protected. To combat the crop diseases that Peruvian farmers suffer, he looks to diversification instead of GM seeds.

The people of Parque de la Papa cultivate a variety of potatoes in small plots. By doing so the farmers say they mitigate crop diseases that attack large plantations and secure the survival of varieties that are more resistant to disease or bad weather.
    (source)

Why 10 years?

Peruvian scientists believe that the research regarding the safety and effects on GMOs is still in its infancy. They hope that the moratorium will “create the research infrastructure it needs to make better decisions about transgenic crops.” (source)

--------------------
Pour un instant, j'ai respiré très fort
Ça m'a permis de visiter mon corps
Des inconnus vivent en roi chez moi
Moi qui avait accepté leurs lois
J'ai perdu mon temps à gagner du temps
J'ai besoin de me trouver une histoire à me conter
Pour instant j'ai oublié mon nom
Harmonium - Pour un instant
--------------------------------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleP-O

Re: PERU BANS MOSANTO AND OTHER GMO'S [Re: Manitou]
    #665961 - 04/13/13 08:35 PM (11 years, 9 days ago)

:hi5:

They wont even label GMOs in north america.... :crankey:

they got our politicians in their pockets

OfflineManitou
Indépendantiste
Male User Gallery

Loc: Québecédelic
Re: PERU BANS MOSANTO AND OTHER GMO'S [Re: P-O]
    #665963 - 04/13/13 08:43 PM (11 years, 9 days ago)

I think our societies would highly benefit from looking at what Peru just did.

--------------------
Pour un instant, j'ai respiré très fort
Ça m'a permis de visiter mon corps
Des inconnus vivent en roi chez moi
Moi qui avait accepté leurs lois
J'ai perdu mon temps à gagner du temps
J'ai besoin de me trouver une histoire à me conter
Pour instant j'ai oublié mon nom
Harmonium - Pour un instant
--------------------------------------------

InvisibleP-O

Re: PERU BANS MOSANTO AND OTHER GMO'S [Re: Manitou] * 1
    #665964 - 04/13/13 08:50 PM (11 years, 9 days ago)

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
    #666012 - 04/14/13 04:42 AM (11 years, 8 days ago)

In the summer we buy everything from a farmer's market. In the winter I take my chances with genetic poison. 50/50.

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

OfflineSmokeSomeHash
Littlest pee pee on da block
 User Gallery

Loc: murica Flag
Re: PERU BANS MOSANTO AND OTHER GMO'S [Re: RasJeph]
    #666016 - 04/14/13 07:18 AM (11 years, 8 days ago)

Whys everyone gotta post huge pictures that only show half on my phone...cant you embed them like in sigs where you click to zoom?

--------------------

Invisibledrawde
    #666017 - 04/14/13 07:36 AM (11 years, 8 days ago)

I don't support GM crops for anything except alleviating malnutrition, and possibly for non-food crops... but the fact of the matter is GMOs have an incredibly clean track record next to all the hype. Don't believe everything you hear... do your own research from primary sources.

--------------------
King Koopa said:
The amount of pot that Gask smokes is equivalent to a guy shooting heroin on weekends

OfflinePoloDown
Stranger Danger

Re: PERU BANS MOSANTO AND OTHER GMO'S [Re: drawde]
    #666164 - 04/15/13 12:37 PM (11 years, 7 days ago)

fuck GMO i hate that shit with a passion

InvisibleP-O

Re: PERU BANS MOSANTO AND OTHER GMO'S [Re: drawde]
    #666949 - 04/21/13 11:08 AM (11 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

drawde said:
I don't support GM crops for anything except alleviating malnutrition, and possibly for non-food crops... but the fact of the matter is GMOs have an incredibly clean track record next to all the hype. Don't believe everything you hear... do your own research from primary sources.

he's one of them....

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags, Contam-Resistant All-In-One Grow Bags