Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleSolarStorm400
1st Time LED Grower

Loc: USA Flag
Help. Seedlings looked good last 48 hours now this...pics
    #655069 - 01/15/13 01:56 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Are you growing from seed or clones?
2. How old are your plants? 15 days
3. How tall are your plants? 2 -3 inches
4. What size containers are they planted in? cups
5. What is your soil mix? FF Happy frog
6. How often do you water and what type of water do you use and how much you give per watering? everyday
7. What is the pH of your water? distilled----dont know
8. What kind of fertilizer do you use and what is its NPK ratio? none
9. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything?nope
10. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? 400 watt solar storm
11. How close are your lights to the plants? 1 1/2 ft
12. What size is your grow space in square feet? 32x32x62
13. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space? 75 to 80 F
14. What is the pH of the soil? unknown
15. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space? nope
16. How much experience do you have growing? 1st soil LED grow

The last 48 hours my plants all started to get these spots on the leaves. They looked great now they are all sagging. all of my 5 plants are starting to look like this. I have to water ever 24 hours due to the soil drying out! are these plants in need of nuts? or some epson salt? I am starting to get worried here big time. Thanks for the helpBefore pics

48 Hours later

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAngus
Trailer Park Supervisor
Male

Loc: Middle east coast
Re: Help. Seedlings looked good last 48 hours now this...pics [Re: SolarStorm400]
    #655071 - 01/15/13 02:20 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Either a problem with soil (probably pH) or over-watering would be my two guesses.  I can't think of anything else (besides disease) that would affect them like that this young.  I don't claim to be an expert but that would be my opinion

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Help. Seedlings looked good last 48 hours now this...pics [Re: Angus]
    #655117 - 01/15/13 07:58 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Transplant time!
They're getting root bound, and Angus is right, you're watering WAY too much.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

InvisiblebLEEp
Phunky Pharmer
Male

Loc: Rocky Mountain High Flag
Re: Help. Seedlings looked good last 48 hours now this...pics [Re: 81renaissance]
    #655120 - 01/15/13 08:52 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Too much water, wafer by weight ;-)
Good luck growing friend!
Check PH of water as mentioned earlier.
Happy frog is good shit, lots of endo and ecto active miceobes and highly absorbent. no need to feed untill fourth set of real leaves.  I personally prefer peat plugs, soaked in micros.  More control and ability to see when it's time to move on:-)
Best wishes!

--------------------

"It is simple to be happy, it is very difficult to be simple"

Offlinexthrx
Stranger

Re: Help. Seedlings looked good last 48 hours now this...pics [Re: bLEEp]
    #655124 - 01/15/13 11:03 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

dont water for 3-4 days youll see a massive improvement!

InvisiblebLEEp
Phunky Pharmer
Male

Re: Help. Seedlings looked good last 48 hours now this...pics [Re: xthrx]
    #655147 - 01/16/13 08:00 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I should probably explain "water by weight"
Pick up the vessel holding your plant (cup, pot, grow bag) when it's dry.
Then again after an ample watering so you will know when the plant needs water.
Cannabis hates having wet feet, and is one of the most frequently made mistakes with learning growers.
Good luck :-)

OfflineCultivateYourself
Stranger

#658502 - 02/10/13 07:20 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

I suggest some beneficial microbes; they really help and act as a buffer against over and under watering (to some extent.) They also out-compete with the bad microbes that cause root rot. :wink:

Offlinelaysie
Stranger
Re: Help. Seedlings looked good last 48 hours now this...pics [Re: CultivateYourself]
    #658569 - 02/11/13 08:21 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

"Cannabis hates having wet feet, and is one of the most frequently made mistakes with learning growers."

It's a little hard to understand this when there is dwc going around and roots in nothing BUT water. I try to let my soil get nice and dry before watering again, however sometimes you don't get to do that and it will still be wet somewhere around the lower half area if you can see through the pot you can tell. I've had root rot but that was from shitty soil that never dried, these types of soil also seem to halt root growth and plant growth but will let you have more time between waterings, you use a fast draining soil and root rot is almost impossible, and the growth is noticeably better.

Compare a plant grown in mostly coco or soil
to
A plant grown in 1.5 parts perlite
1 part verm
1 part petlite

There will be no comparison in speed growth and the overall health of the plant. Not to mention root growth, the root growth should be like idk if I'm even exaggerating when i say this, 10x more in the same time period.

Also, lights killing roots I think is false. I have lights hitting some of my tomato plants roots and they are doing just fine, the light just supposedly helps fungus or whatever grow that competes with roots if light can hit there.

--------------------
"You full of shit you close your mouth and let your ass talk."

InvisiblebLEEp
Phunky Pharmer
Male

Re: Help. Seedlings looked good last 48 hours now this...pics [Re: laysie]
    #658571 - 02/11/13 08:34 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

laysie said:
"Cannabis hates having wet feet, and is one of the most frequently made mistakes with learning growers."

It's a little hard to understand this when there is dwc going around and roots in nothing BUT water. I try to let my soil get nice and dry before watering again, however sometimes you don't get to do that and it will still be wet somewhere around the lower half area if you can see through the pot you can tell. I've had root rot but that was from shitty soil that never dried, you use a fast draining soil and root rot is almost impossible.

Also, lights killing roots I think is false. I have lights hitting some of my tomato plants roots and they are doing just fine, the light just supposedly helps fungus or whatever grow that competes with roots if light can hit there.

DWC, Turbo Trays, Bubble Buckets all work because there is alot of oxygen in the water.  When you are using soil/less substrate and over water the roots are not receiving proper O2 and the plant becomes ill.
Light is bad for roots.  You explained it to yourself :-)
When we take a plant, animal, fungus or other living thing and try to improve it's nutrition and growing environment to accomplish the best results possible; we are emulating mother nature, not changing her ways.  You just can not fight nature and win.  Marijuana roots are meant to be subterranean which is dark, hence no defense mechanisms for certain molds and bacterium that thrive in an environment with light present.
I would be interested to see OPs babies again.  Did they pull through OP?
I myself just started 6 seeds of a strain we are calling "Mellow Passion"
(LA Confidential x Trainwreck).
Good luck OP :-)

--------------------

Offlinelaysie
Stranger
    #658603 - 02/11/13 12:11 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

bLEEp said:
Quote:

laysie said:

It's a little hard to understand this when there is dwc going around and roots in nothing BUT water. I try to let my soil get nice and dry before watering again, however sometimes you don't get to do that and it will still be wet somewhere around the lower half area if you can see through the pot you can tell. I've had root rot but that was from shitty soil that never dried, you use a fast draining soil and root rot is almost impossible.

DWC, Turbo Trays, Bubble Buckets all work because there is alot of oxygen in the water.  When you are using soil/less substrate and over water the roots are not receiving proper O2 and the plant becomes ill.
Light is bad for roots.  You explained it to yourself :-)
When we take a plant, animal, fungus or other living thing and try to improve it's nutrition and growing environment to accomplish the best results possible; we are emulating mother nature, not changing her ways.  You just can not fight nature and win.  Marijuana roots are meant to be subterranean which is dark, hence no defense mechanisms for certain molds and bacterium that thrive in an environment with light present.
I would be interested to see OPs babies again.  Did they pull through OP?
I myself just started 6 seeds of a strain we are calling "Mellow Passion"
(LA Confidential x Trainwreck).
Good luck OP :-)

There is misinformation going around about roots.

Light doesn't kill roots, and I've even seen a dwc done in a fishtank using lettuce that had the light hitting the roots and everythingw as fine, and I am doing clear plastic cups with no problems, the roots grow towards the sides of the cups still (I figured they would avoid the sides/light if what is said about lights held true or would atleast die) and they are doing fine.

I think there is something going a little unnoticed here too.

With a good environment going in your tent, and your soils setup good like a nice well drained mixtures you can literally water those 24/7 and not have problems, however... When you use shitty/stays wet forever soil it's like the water must get stagnant the oxygen removed then it's just wetness or something, and the top gets moldy and nasty looking and shit, and you don't want to water it. Even a pure coco mix dries out fast with good lights/fans regardless of how big the roots on the plant is. When I used cfls and low watt leds theres a problem with this wet issue and non fast drying mixes that will rot the roots.

The types of lights I use have an effect on how fast the soil dries, and so does fans in the growroom. However, using an airy soil should prevent all root problems and give you like 10x the root growth, the plants I posted pictures of from a few years back were grown in almost a full perlite mix it was like 2/3rds perlite. Plants grown in side by side comparisons really don't compare up when you lower it by a lot or take perlite away from the equation.

--------------------
"You full of shit you close your mouth and let your ass talk."

Edited by laysie (02/11/13 12:18 PM)

OfflineJavadog
Stranger

Re: Help. Seedlings looked good last 48 hours now this...pics [Re: laysie]
    #658607 - 02/11/13 12:25 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

It does stand to reason that exposing the root area to light would
allow the proliferation of organisms not typically exposed to pot roots.

Aren't algae able to compete with pot roots? 

There was some problem, but I am too new to say what it is...

Good luck, and thanks for sharing.

JD

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Help. Seedlings looked good last 48 hours now this...pics [Re: Javadog]
    #658664 - 02/11/13 06:16 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

I think these issues were addressed in the month old responses.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

InvisiblebLEEp
Phunky Pharmer
Male

Re: Help. Seedlings looked good last 48 hours now this...pics [Re: 81renaissance]
    #658903 - 02/14/13 10:16 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Roots + Light = Bad

End of story.

If you get .69grms/watt with light hitting roots you should get .8+gms/watt no light to roots.

--------------------

Offlinezzzzzz
Stranger

#661074 - 03/04/13 05:00 PM (11 years, 26 days ago)

Quote:

bLEEp said:
Roots + Light = Bad

End of story.

If you get .69grms/watt with light hitting roots you should get .8+gms/watt no light to roots.

By what formula do you arrive at that?  Is there any scientific evidence that light hurts roots?

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Help. Seedlings looked good last 48 hours now this...pics [Re: zzzzzz]
    #661196 - 03/05/13 02:17 PM (11 years, 25 days ago)

Actually light isn't particularly bad for roots unless you're talking about hydroponics.  Light allows photosynthesis which leads to development of algae in your system. 
What you want to avoid is exposing a significant amount of root structure to the air.  Dry roots=dead roots.  That's why roots in airpots "self-prune"

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

Offlinezzzzzz
Stranger

#661235 - 03/05/13 11:26 PM (11 years, 25 days ago)

^ Good answer!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale