Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinemellowfellow

Anybody have a Nook or Kindle? * 1
    #652678 - 12/24/12 11:43 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Because I am in love.

After years of trying to force myself to read books on a computer/any lcd screen (cuz, you know.. shit's free) I was still pretty sketchy about how well the reading experience would translate over to any e-reader device. A few months ago I started and recently finished the entire Game of Thrones series on my girlfriend's Kindle and have been completely wooed by the majesty of these wondrous inventions. E-ink fucking kicks ass.

So, I'd been intent on purchasing a Kindle of my own for a while; for some reason I was just really strongly preferential to Amazon's device and never really even looked into the B&N Nook. But my girlfriend is a badass and got me a Nook Simple Touch a couple weeks ago for Christmas (and so I would gtfo her Kindle), and I'm supremely grateful and impressed.

I've had a good bit of experience with both of these rival devices, so I'll go into a few points of differences and my opinions of their respective features.

First and foremost, if you actually plan on doing any reading on the device, get the e-ink/paperwhite versions of the Nook/Kindle. The e-ink displays are all that make the things worthwhile. If you want a device you can watch Netflix and check your Facebook on then get a regular fucking tablet and quit lying to yourself that you're ever going to get around to learning how to read anything beyond a 250 character 'Tweet' or a self-help book by Mantesh on how to pick up chicks.

Kindle
1. Probably has slightly better customer service network than the Nook. Amazon really is pretty awesome as a whole.
2. Inversely, the experience on a Kindle is very strongly tied into your Amazon account and they retain much more control over your device, as in reserving the right to get into your shit and remove whatever they want.
3. Doesn't support .epub book format which is one of the most common (and in my opinion, the best) file formats for e-books that you'll come across. This isn't a very large issue since a free program called 'Calibre' exists which does an absolutely amazing job of converting, editing, and customizing any conceivable format of text/book files. I really can't praise this program itself highly enough.
4. Amazon makes this really awesome case for their Kindle which perfectly caresses the device and strongly helps emulate the feeling of actually holding a book. It also has an integrated led booklight which just feeds off of the Kindle's battery and doesn't use up too much power. You can still get up to a month's worth of use on a single charge.
5. So far, I think the Kindle has the slight edge over the Nook on their dictionary features. It's just a bit more intuitive to look up a word on a page while reading and also provides the option of instantly looking up other words that are included in the original word's definition. Really helpful when dealing with redundancies.

Nook
1. I think the overall user interface of the Nook is just vastly superior and more visually appeasing. Firstly, you have to pay something like $30-40 extra if you want to buy a Kindle without preloaded advertisements that change every time it gets an internet connection.
2. The library set up of the Nook is leaps and bounds ahead of the Kindle's. You have much more options in organizing and categorizing your books, creating shelves and such. Half of the time the Kindle has your books set up in fucked up directories and it can be difficult to remember how to get back to whatever you were just reading.
3. You can actually customize your wallpaper/screensaver on a Nook whereas the Kindle has no such option.
4. The Nook is much better if you pirate books and don't plan on spending ridiculous monies on classics that should have been public domain a long time ago. Kindle/Amazon is all about some DRM protection (which, again, isn't as big an issue if you use 'Calibre').
5. Both devices can easily change font size, but the epub format of the Nook allows you to also easily change font style among other things. For some reason I find that I more enjoy reading certain types of books with certain fonts.

I give the weigh in to the Nook. Even though I don't yet have a case for it, it's still a much more enjoyable reading experience. Most nights I just open up the gf's Kindle and hold my Nook over it so I can use the Kindle cases's booklight. Bottom line, both of these devices are fucking awesome and extremely affordable. I've got like 70~ books on my Nook that I've been wanting to read for years and finally have a chance to thanks to internet piracy and affordable electronics.

Anyway, really didn't mean for this to turn out quite as long as it did. Halfway through I realized I should probably be writing this up as an article for some tech blog and making a bit of money off it. Whatevs. Happy Festivus!

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblestill beLIEve
State Property..Again
Male

Loc: a world thats not my own
Re: Anybody have a Nook or Kindle? [Re: mellowfellow]
    #652682 - 12/25/12 12:45 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

You sold me!

--------------------
niteowl said:
See, that term pedo gets thrown around a lot.
Is a 16 year old guy having sex w/a 16 year old girl a pedophile?
If not, then how is a 30 year old considered a pedophile for doing the same thing?
I think y'all need to look up the definition for pedophile.

InvisibleDr. SiekadellykM
Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ketamine Flag
Re: Anybody have a Nook or Kindle? [Re: still beLIEve]
    #652689 - 12/25/12 06:06 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah I was wondering about these things... Thanks for the review!

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Dreams of Oceans
Male

Re: Anybody have a Nook or Kindle? [Re: mellowfellow]
    #652715 - 12/25/12 12:58 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I have the Nook color tablet.  I love it, but it falls short in a couple of areas that aren't important to me: web browser, music player, and apps.  You can only use one browser, the preloaded one.  It is clunky and does not handle a lot of web based tasks and programs.  You can not switch it out.  The music player is very limited in functionality.  It sucks.  You can get Pandora and TuneIn, but without those you can forget really doing much with music.  Many applications do not work with the nook.  It is advertised to be android based, but don't expect to get apps for it anywhere but the nook site and those are limited.  standard android apps either won't run or will require excessive work to make run.

I do love it for reading and checking emails and the basic files I keep track of.  That said, pdf read like crap on it.  Plan to convert everything to epub or don't bother reading on it.

I would like to try the Kindle fire to see if media files and the internet are better.  If I had to get again I would just purchased a new gen ipad with retina.  I gave the 64gb one to my wife and it is does everything right.

--------------------
I am not a cannabis grower.  I find the cannabis growers to be the most open to experimenting and sharing out of all of the different botany groups I enjoy.  I frequently use the suggestions that I find to apply to own organic gardening and food production.

Invisiblestill beLIEve
State Property..Again
Male

Loc: a world thats not my own
Re: Anybody have a Nook or Kindle? [Re: CrayolaHalls]
    #652765 - 12/25/12 08:12 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

i just got the nook simple touch with glowlight. this thread inspired me, and i talked with my brother all night about how much i used to read and fell out of it and would like to start back again.

i have a 3rd gen ipad, and it's fucking awesome. however i couldnt read long books on it, and i was interested to try this 'e ink'

plus i got a shit ton in my paypal and B&N accepts paypal as payment so i was like fuck it why not

--------------------
niteowl said:
See, that term pedo gets thrown around a lot.
Is a 16 year old guy having sex w/a 16 year old girl a pedophile?
If not, then how is a 30 year old considered a pedophile for doing the same thing?
I think y'all need to look up the definition for pedophile.

OfflineCage
Melancholy Mindfuck.

Re: Anybody have a Nook or Kindle? [Re: still beLIEve]
    #652923 - 12/27/12 04:15 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Great little review you have here, I was looking into both of these and I was also leaning towards the Nook. So, I assume there's just a model that would have no problem with lighting right? I assume it's just your particular kind that may need some extra light?

Edited by Cage (12/27/12 04:15 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder