Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTriGeoLight
Spread Eagle Stalker

Planning my first grow and concerned about plant height.
    #648962 - 12/01/12 09:41 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I'm planning on doing a stealth grow in a dresser and I'm concerned about the plant height when budding. I want to keep the plants under 3-4 feet. Does any body have tips on how to keep my plants that short. I've been to seed banks online and they say that all the plants grow like 5ft and up. I'd prefer to grow a indica strain.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNameInUse
Strange
Male User Gallery

Re: Planning my first grow and concerned about plant height. [Re: TriGeoLight]
    #648970 - 12/01/12 10:18 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

There are plenty of methods to train a plant from tying it down to cutting it. I suggest you purchase a book on cultivation and read it through. You'll have plenty of time to learn with your grow.

--------------------
But then an even greater force emerged: The un! And the un un-nazi'd the world! Forever!

OfflineTriGeoLight
Spread Eagle Stalker

Re: Planning my first grow and concerned about plant height. [Re: NameInUse]
    #648992 - 12/02/12 01:44 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

NameInUse said:
There are plenty of methods to train a plant from tying it down to cutting it. I suggest you purchase a book on cultivation and read it through. You'll have plenty of time to learn with your grow.

Thanks for the tip do you know which book is the best to read or should I just kind of pick one that sounds the best for me.

OfflineNameInUse
Strange
Male User Gallery

#649001 - 12/02/12 06:39 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Marijuana Horticulture: The Indoor/Outdoor Medical Grower's Bible by Jorge Cervantes

--------------------
But then an even greater force emerged: The un! And the un un-nazi'd the world! Forever!

OfflineA To The K
Smokey

#649008 - 12/02/12 10:20 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

for an idea of reference, I put a clone outdoor next to my house in April last year. every time I saw it getting too tall, I popped the tops off. I did this up through September until it started to bud. it finished up under 3 foot tall with a 5 month veg haha.

you could always 12/12 from seed or try an auto too.

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #649034 - 12/02/12 12:11 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

NameInUse said:
Marijuana Horticulture: The Indoor/Outdoor Medical Grower's Bible by Jorge Cervantes

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #649042 - 12/02/12 12:34 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

--------------------
:getstoned:

OfflineTriGeoLight
Spread Eagle Stalker

Re: Planning my first grow and concerned about plant height. [Re: A To The K]
    #649108 - 12/02/12 05:32 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

A To The K said:
for an idea of reference, I put a clone outdoor next to my house in April last year. every time I saw it getting too tall, I popped the tops off. I did this up through September until it started to bud. it finished up under 3 foot tall with a 5 month veg haha.

Like cut the tops just like you do when your cutting down trees to get it to the height you want. ( trim it like the lawn )

OfflineNameInUse
Strange
Male User Gallery

Re: Planning my first grow and concerned about plant height. [Re: Stoneth]
    #649120 - 12/02/12 06:26 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

TriGeoLight said:
Quote:

A To The K said:

Like cut the tops just like you do when your cutting down trees to get it to the height you want. ( trim it like the lawn )

Quote:

Stoneth said:
http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/239247#239247

--------------------

OfflineTriGeoLight
Spread Eagle Stalker

#649121 - 12/02/12 06:34 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

NameInUse said:
Quote:

TriGeoLight said:
Quote:

A To The K said:

Quote:

Stoneth said:
http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/239247#239247

Thanks... I understand every thing now. Top it and train it like a bonsai tree to keep it short and fat. I read the entire article and I'm super stoked. I'll have to try my hand at FIM but I'll probably just top and LST until I get some clones.

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
    #649136 - 12/02/12 07:18 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

its scary doing most plant training at first because its your baby and you don't wanna hurt it. then you inevitably fuck up one day down the road and learn just how sturdy cannabis really is. I broke the main stem of one of my girls and it grew a huge knuckle at the break, stronger than ever. that's when I learned how rough I could be if I had to haha.

also, pimpppppp BMO avatar dude!

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

OfflineTriGeoLight
Spread Eagle Stalker

Re: Planning my first grow and concerned about plant height. [Re: RasJeph]
    #649157 - 12/02/12 09:29 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

RasJeph said:
its scary doing most plant training at first because its your baby and you don't wanna hurt it. then you inevitably fuck up one day down the road and learn just how sturdy cannabis really is. I broke the main stem of one of my girls and it grew a huge knuckle at the break, stronger than ever. that's when I learned how rough I could be if I had to haha.

also, pimpppppp BMO avatar dude!

Thanks for the avatar thing dude. I'm peeEEEing.  :dawerp:

When you broke the stem it grew back the same as if you did HST or FIM to it. With FIM you just break it so it horizontal or farther over. I guess your accident was just really intense smack on the ass for your baby because it wouldn't behave. :boot: LOL

OfflineJoint Ops
Stranger
    #650507 - 12/10/12 06:25 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

the height of a plant is dictated by several things, and there are a couple of simple things you can do to decrease height, but be advised it has to grow somewhere so instead of tall you can make it fat, reasonably shallow pots but very wide, to stop the rootbase growing downwards and causing stretch and allow the roots to grow sideways, allowing the plant to stretch out instead of up, adjusting your lights is another way, the shorter the time you can have your lights on without inducing flowering dictates both how long and how large your plant will be able to grow in its life cycle, for example a regiment of 24 hour light will be fine with most plants during vegetation periods but giving it access to this much light allows it to grow larger over a slower amount of time, increasing quality and yield, but there needs to be a balance between time spent and yield gained (individual to plant genetics mostly) to make the most efficient use of your space and time, there are hormones like gibbarellic acid which cause stem and leaf growth which can be restricted with chemicals like u-turn which is a growth regulator, but a lot of people dont like these and find them hard to work with, your medium is also important as some mediums are easier to grow through causing the plant to grow bushy (coconutfibre, pearlite etc) but require specific knowledge on how to use them effectively, what it comes down to is a combination of forrum jumping,ebaying,wikipedia searching and experimenting, all strains are different and will react in different ways to the same conditions, try finding a purple indica, purple stem and leaf (in genetics not because of shock) means the plant has a deficiency in chlorophyll (green), and an abbundance of xanophyll (purple), normally xanophyll accounts for anywhere from 1 to 30 percent of the chlorophyll/xanophyll mixture used by the plant, xanophyll itself is nowhere near as effective in function as chlorophyll but is much hardier to cold temperatures, therefore plants geneticly bred purple should be somewhat smaller than the green counterpart, this is not always the case but is a good rule of thumb, you could always go for a lowryder species, just a couple of ideas ill have a look at a few books for you if you would like and repost

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Planning my first grow and concerned about plant height. [Re: Joint Ops]
    #650510 - 12/10/12 06:30 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Woah dude, punctuation and sentence/paragraph structure is your friend. 

That's really hard to read man.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineJoint Ops
Stranger
Re: Planning my first grow and concerned about plant height. [Re: Joint Ops]
    #650511 - 12/10/12 06:40 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

i used comma's but your right, it is my first post really so ill do better in the future, thanks for the CC, i need to sleep more and toke less LOL

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies