Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinestarspangled
Stranger
Will it cause problems to interrupt dark period with a flashlight/low lighting?
    #645177 - 11/10/12 06:52 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I have an electrical problem a friend will be helping me with which will be during my Off cycle, we may be able to do it with a headtorch - and not for very long - is this a really bad idea?
If so I won't
Any advice gratefully appreciated :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
Re: Will it cause problems to interrupt dark period with a flashlight/low lighting? [Re: starspangled] * 1
    #645183 - 11/10/12 08:00 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Use a green light..you can get one for like a dollar.

But yes its one of the worst things you can do to a plant.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

Offlinestarspangled
Stranger
Re: Will it cause problems to interrupt dark period with a flashlight/low lighting? [Re: mhbound]
    #645185 - 11/10/12 08:19 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks for the green light, i'll keep it outside the room so there is just enough glow to see the fuse box - need t get some night vision lol
So far they have been given perfect light and perfect dark -
i will try and avoid this whole step if i can
cheers mhbound  for the reply

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Will it cause problems to interrupt dark period with a flashlight/low lighting? [Re: starspangled]
    #645187 - 11/10/12 08:36 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

If you get a green light it wont effect the plant.  I have a lightbulb in the grow room in the permanent fixture.  That way if I have to spray for bugs or anything I won't have to worry about it.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offlinestarspangled
Stranger
Re: Will it cause problems to interrupt dark period with a flashlight/low lighting? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #645220 - 11/11/12 04:50 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Do you mean a green light bulb? That is easy to get. I read about people using Blue LED's and the like, but I guess the plant is green and reflects it rather than absorbs it right?
hawksapprentice, thanks for your input:)

Offlinestarspangled
Stranger
Re: Will it cause problems to interrupt dark period with a flashlight/low lighting? [Re: starspangled]
    #645221 - 11/11/12 04:50 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I meant the plant is green and so reflects green light, if i am right

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #645235 - 11/11/12 08:53 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I'm not fully sold on the green light being 100% safe in that regard. Of course the wavelength of maximum reflectance of cannabis is green (somewhere around 540nm I would assume), but I would be STUNNED if the light bulbs you guys buy have electromagnetic emission at exactly 540nm or even as narrow of a spectrum as 520nm-580nm. I would almost guarantee that you're getting some leaks in the blue and red spectrum that are absolutely detectable by the plant. I suppose the real debate is what quantity of light is really necessary to disturb the photocycle of the plant. I would say just try to plan all your repairs/work around the light cycle and minimize disturbance as much as possible.

--------------------

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
Re: Will it cause problems to interrupt dark period with a flashlight/low lighting? [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #645236 - 11/11/12 09:19 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Yea, I agree. I've read about it and there doesn't seem to be any definitive answer..but, I do know a lot of people who use green lights and have no trouble.

Your normal bulb will be nothing more than a "white" light with green glass. The filament still burns the same temp.

I would use a green cfl. I've seen plenty of people use the incandescent lighting but just seems a better option to use cfl(green).

I'm going to research it a little more but I've been using a green cfl and never had a problem.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #645248 - 11/11/12 10:56 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I had a friend watching my plants for about 2 weeks once. I showed him everything, he said he got it down in his photographic memory. I put on the written instructions that if he needed to get in to water after lights out to use the green cfl light. Well, his dumbass thought I meant to turn the green light on at night. SO the dumbass left the green bulb on the whole time. When I came home the plants were still in flower, but a few of them almost stopped growing and a few weeks later were not much larger. There was more than just a light issue with the plants, like he didn't mix the nutrients up properly and the leaves were all burned. The other plants were different strains and affected less. They didn't look like they were re vegging.

If you just need to get in one time it shouldn't be an issue. I go with the green cfl or very low light if I need to do anything outside of normal flower hours--and only if its an absolute necessity.  I figure if its darker than a night with a full moon it'll be fine.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Offlinestarspangled
Stranger
Re: Will it cause problems to interrupt dark period with a flashlight/low lighting? [Re: phychotron]
    #645929 - 11/14/12 06:34 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I saw this bulb
http://www.growlightexpress.com/fluorescent-bulbs-30/spectralux-green-t5-ho-54w-4-ft-321.html
Would be a good gadget maybe for an emergency, but I've taken all your advice and the work will be done during the light cycle
thanks for all your replies

Beware of other people with your stuff, I agree. :thumbup:

OfflineJavadog
Stranger

#645931 - 11/14/12 07:00 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I got this green LED head-lamp that might make working a bit easier.

Good luck,

JD

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies