Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinemellowfellow

About to take over an 18.5 acre farm with a couple friends
    #638307 - 09/25/12 02:30 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Any suggestions on what to do with it? There's a 2,400 sq. foot home on the property built in 1860 which apparently used to be a civil war hospital. Everybody thinks it's haunted but fuck them lingerers. About maybe half of it is still covered in trees and will need to be clearcutted if the space is needed. There's also a running creek towards the back end of the property. I'm thinking fruit trees. And goats. I really want goats.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Re: About to take over an 18.5 acre farm with a couple friends [Re: mellowfellow]
    #638312 - 09/25/12 03:05 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Marijuana?

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Invisiblestill beLIEve
State Property..Again
Male

Loc: a world thats not my own
Re: About to take over an 18.5 acre farm with a couple friends [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #638318 - 09/25/12 03:40 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

ill be your groundskeeper, and stay in the shed out back (there is a shed out back, right?)

--------------------
niteowl said:
See, that term pedo gets thrown around a lot.
Is a 16 year old guy having sex w/a 16 year old girl a pedophile?
If not, then how is a 30 year old considered a pedophile for doing the same thing?
I think y'all need to look up the definition for pedophile.

Offlinemellowfellow

Re: About to take over an 18.5 acre farm with a couple friends [Re: still beLIEve]
    #638321 - 09/25/12 03:56 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Oh yeah, forgot to mention weed. It's on the back burner. First and foremost is getting some more legally legitimate crops up and going. Really, we've just been partying in the house for years and are now formally taking it over and converting it to a more family friendly environment. I don't think the land has grown anything in at least a decade but it is certainly fertile.

Quote:

still beLIEve said:
ill be your groundskeeper, and stay in the shed out back (there is a shed out back, right?)

There are two sheds, one of them a man hung himself in. The other is full of old tractors and whatnot that we'll sell off. You can't take my job though :wink:

--------------------

User Gallery

Re: About to take over an 18.5 acre farm with a couple friends [Re: mellowfellow]
    #638322 - 09/25/12 04:05 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Well then you are going to want chickens, goats, and maybe a couple of cows.  Then you need to section off a good portion with decent fencing to start your garden.  You are going to need to make sure that the fencing is constructed well enough so the goats can't get in there.

The chicken and cow manure can help fertilize your garden, and you can reroute all the grey water from your house to water the garden.  Also rain collecting containers would be a good idea.  You could really pimp it out if you want, make it a very organic and green functioning farm.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflinePicklez
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #638334 - 09/25/12 04:23 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Hens and Goats are an awesome start for a sustainable homestead.

The price of raising hens is very cheap compared to their potential production. Plus having fresh eggs is bomb.

Goats are awesome as well, especially if you like goat milk. Goat milk is extremely fatty and rich. I love it. I would allow the goats to just forage off the land, that makes them very cheap to raise as well.

In terms of livestock, cows are very expensive and not generally a good investment.

I am not too sure about pigs, having never worked with them, but I think it would be cool to have a hand full of pigs

Then of course you can setup a small garden for fruits and veggies; along with a small tree fruiting orchard
--------------------------------------

If once you get it setup and stuff, if you need some help over my Spring Break, here in March of 2013, I have much experience in sustainable farming, sustainable building, sustainable energy, and sustainable living in general. I have worked with a good variety of animals; ostrich, donkeys, goats, and hens. And also have quite a bit of gardening experience as well.

User Gallery

Re: About to take over an 18.5 acre farm with a couple friends [Re: Picklez]
    #638340 - 09/25/12 04:55 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

In terms of livestock, cows are very expensive and not generally a good investment.

Not true at all.  They can be raised on pasture grass almost exclusively.  And will provide you with a crap load of meat at the end. 

I go in on a calf every other year or so, great investment.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflinePicklez
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: About to take over an 18.5 acre farm with a couple friends [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #638341 - 09/25/12 05:37 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

It is true. I have worked on farms and I take sustainability as my major in school.

Cattle are very expensive; first the initial cost. Baby cows arent cheap, bulls are even more. Then you have to factor in health issues, cattle are very susceptible to disease. And the yield whether it be milk from cows or meat, is not profitable on a small scale. Ive done numerous reports about sustainable farming and the costs associated with different animals

Now, if you come up on some free baby cows, then maybe it could work. But baby cows are going to run you 1000$ a head on average

edit- also the amount of land cows require. They need quite bit of grazing area

Edited by Picklez (09/25/12 05:50 PM)

User Gallery

#638344 - 09/25/12 05:50 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah so 500 a person, and then I throw em out in the pasture, give em water, and an occasional vet visit.  Not much at all for how much meat I get off of it and how much that saves me.  If you're looking at the way the industry raises cattle, then yeah the amount of anti-biotics and growth hormones and grain they get fed, then it's not cost efficient at all. 

Cows are very susceptible to disease because we keep them in filthy conditions, when they are pasture raised and not in a pen sitting in a few feet of their own feces, crammed in with thousands of other cattle, they really aren't.

Having been raised in a rural setting and raising my own beef and live stock for years, I have a little bit of knowledge on small farm costs.  And if you're raising it for yourself, it saves.

--------------------

-niteowl

User Gallery

#638345 - 09/25/12 05:50 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Especially since you get to use all the cow manure for fertilizer :cookiemonster:

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflinePicklez
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #638348 - 09/25/12 05:56 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

You have cows right now?

Argue all you want. I am telling you from a purely economic standpoint, cattle are not good investments. Not only do I have farm experience myself, as you do, but I am also getting my Bachelor's degree in these concepts and have written at least a half dozen papers on different livestock and the pros vs. cons; the economics of raising different animals, ect.

I edited the above post because I didnt see your reply yet, but cattle also require lots of grazing land. You cant just keep them in a small pen. And the land you have to set aside for cattle grazing cant really be used for much anything else. (although this doesnt seem to be an issue for the OP)

And cattle dont get their diseases from their environments and their conditions usually they are genetic defects. It's actually become such a huge deal that there are labs that do nothing but cattle DNA sequencing and studies. Because as mentioned, the price for young cows is soo expensive and the risk soo high that it makes it very unsustainable to invest in just a couple of them. The chances of you ever seeing a return on your investment is extremely low.

Hens are the most profitable, and then goats are right up there as well.

User Gallery

#638349 - 09/25/12 06:01 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

http://bend.craigslist.org/grd/3296089061.html

300 bucks for a jersey

http://bend.craigslist.org/grd/3269183809.html

Another for 150

http://bend.craigslist.org/grd/3269183809.html

A nice holstein for about 500.

I think your prices are a bit off sir, which puts some doubt to your research to me sir.

Also the dude has 18.5 acres, that's WAY more than needed for 1 cow.  Plus they live along side other livestock really well.

--------------------

-niteowl

User Gallery

#638350 - 09/25/12 06:02 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Now if you're looking for a registered angus bull, that's gonna be spendy.

--------------------

-niteowl

User Gallery

#638351 - 09/25/12 06:05 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

http://corvallis.craigslist.org/grd/3261637744.html

Hey look!  More baby cows for cheap.

--------------------

-niteowl

User Gallery

#638352 - 09/25/12 06:08 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

And yes I have a cow right now.  It's not on my property as I live in the city now, but I almost always have some sort of live stock growing for me.  That way I know that the meat I eat is happy meat.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflinePicklez
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #638353 - 09/25/12 06:11 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I priced my estimates based on academic sources and the national average price, not Craigslist. Everything is always cheap on Craigslist

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
I think your prices are a bit off sir, which puts some doubt to your research to me sir.

Also the dude has 18.5 acres, that's WAY more than needed for 1 cow.  Plus they live along side other livestock really well.

Says the junkie using Craigslist as his source :lol:

And I already said that land usage wasnt an issue for him, but it is an overall factor in general instances where land is limited.

So you own a cow, but it lives on a farm somewhere else? Sounds like a farmer to me.

User Gallery

#638354 - 09/25/12 06:15 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Exactly, I always buy my cows from craigslist and farmers I know.  It's not hard to find a cow for cheap.  craigslist sells for about the same price as everyone sells them for :cookiemonster:

It just depends on what you're looking for.  The purebred Angus are pretty spendy.  But you can get a good meat cow for not too much.  And I have NEVER has issues with health on my cows.  Besides the minor things that all livestock run into.  Cuts and minor infections from being outdoor animals and getting said cuts.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflinePicklez
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #638356 - 09/25/12 06:18 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

To each their own

If OP wants a couple cows, he will go for it

But if I were him, I would steer clear from cattle. no pun intended.

Chickens are the way to go for sure. The cost of feeding them and everything is soo small compared to the benefits.

Have you ever raised goats? They are just as good. They are grazers and very hardy animals. Their milk is excellent. Never ate goat meat but I heard it's alright

User Gallery

#638357 - 09/25/12 06:21 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Goats are awesome, I grew up with them, made cheese out of their milk, and ate them as well.  I had true hippy parents so i was raised in a not so common manner.

And goats are super friendly to boot!

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflinePicklez
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #638359 - 09/25/12 06:22 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, I have good experiences working with goats. I used to take them on foraging walks when I was real little. They would just follow me. The babies are always super cute and a ton of fun to watch play. I love how they jump around soo much

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate