Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineFoolOnTheHill

Re: About to take over an 18.5 acre farm with a couple friends [Re: mellowfellow]
    #638362 - 09/25/12 07:04 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

mellowfellow said:
About maybe half of it is still covered in trees and will need to be clearcutted if the space is needed.

NNOOOO! please dont

:peace::heart::bliss:

--------------------
DISCLAIMER: Anything posted by FoolOnTheHill is a complete work of fiction. All pictures, experiences and text are conjured elsewhere

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePicklez
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: About to take over an 18.5 acre farm with a couple friends [Re: FoolOnTheHill]
    #638367 - 09/25/12 07:32 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Ah you cant be THAT big of a hippie

He is talking about turning the land into a sustainable living environment and using the land the right way

Offlinemellowfellow

Re: About to take over an 18.5 acre farm with a couple friends [Re: Picklez]
    #638368 - 09/25/12 07:34 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Hmm, wasn't really interested in cows at all to be honest. I just feel as though they would be less manageable, but I'm going to do some further research into it. I think primarily we'll be growing fruits and vegetables and have just a few animals around. There's a possibility we could be getting this for practically free (filthy rich jewish crack addicts), otherwise it will be rent-to-own at a very reasonable price. We don't really have a whole lot to invest into livestock and yeah I've just been looking at animals on craigslist. I'm more looking for advice on developing as close to a self-sustaining homestead as possible. I know there's a multitude of resources out there on the interwebs, but I always appreciate the slightly more personal feel of asking people on forums.

We're thinking vidalia onions, assorted peppers, peaches, watermelon. All those other bullshit vegetables. Collecting rainwater and grey water for reuse are great ideas. There's a greenhouse on the property as well. We'll set up a composting system. Fashioning a chicken coop shouldn't be too difficult. A segment of the property is already fenced in but I'm sure we'll need to work/expand on it for any animals kept. I don't really know what else. How feasible is it to tap your own well?

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
Goats are awesome, I grew up with them, made cheese out of their milk, and ate them as well.

How is goat meat? Anything like lamb?

Quote:

FoolOnTheHill said:
Quote:

mellowfellow said:
About maybe half of it is still covered in trees and will need to be clearcutted if the space is needed.

NNOOOO! please dont

:peace::heart::bliss:

I kind of really doubt we'll have to, but blazing some trails is definitely a must. The surrounding area is still heavily wooded and it's miles away from any city. We all love the woods behind the house and the current open space should be plenty for our meager plans. Just need decent access to the creek.

--------------------

OfflineFoolOnTheHill

Re: About to take over an 18.5 acre farm with a couple friends [Re: mellowfellow]
    #638418 - 09/26/12 07:07 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Picklez said:
Ah you cant be THAT big of a hippie

He is talking about turning the land into a sustainable living environment and using the land the right way

Trees are humans to me lol

Quote:

I kind of really doubt we'll have to, but blazing some trails is definitely a must. The surrounding area is still heavily wooded and it's miles away from any city. We all love the woods behind the house and the current open space should be plenty for our meager plans. Just need decent access to the creek.

Right on. I totally understand some sacrifices have to be made for the better.

Well good luck with everything man, post pics of the land if you can :smile:

--------------------
DISCLAIMER: Anything posted by FoolOnTheHill is a complete work of fiction. All pictures, experiences and text are conjured elsewhere

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder