Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBlackd0ve420
 User Gallery

1st Grow Log *1 WEEK UPDATE PIC HEAVY PG 2*
    #608989 - 02/10/12 09:50 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Hello everyone! I mainly post in the sister site: shroomery.org, I've been lurking here in the shadows for a while though trying to pick up what info I can (The search bar is your friend ).

Anyways I am formulating my plans for my first serious grow..I guess I am kind of just throwing out what I have in mind/testing what I know so that people can give me tips/advice/helpful criticism. If there is some noob question/statement that I make (Which I wouldn't be surprised) and could have found in the search bar please excuse my ignorance . Mods: If there is a more appropriate place for this thread please move it for me thanks!

Anyways to the chalk board!

So first off seeds...I am unable to just get some bag seed so I have been looking into ordering them online. After researching on here The Attitude seemed pretty popular and recommended so they're #1 at the moment. The first site I found was cannabisseeds.com. I don't know if it's any good or not.

I am in the states...specifically FL(I don't know if certain states are harder to get in the seeds then others. I am not too concerned/paranoid about feds and what not knocking on my door (they have better things to do) I heard at worst I get a note from customs saying my shipment was seized (Would I get refunded/credited for this from the vendor??). Being on the safe side I will rent out a P.O box long enough to get my shipments, taking the advice of don't ship to where you grow. I am still debating on what seeds to pick...I am researching these autoflowering strains..It seemed like they're more forgiving for noobie growers, but like I said still researching. I heard the Northern Lights strain is pretty forgiving/resistant. Suggestions are welcome!!

So now for the main topic. GROWING! In my current situation it'll be a semi-stealth grow. I am planning on starting out my baby girls at home, I have a space under my closet/dresser thing, that has plenty of length but is only 23 inches off the ground...to small I am guessing? Anyways,  after they reach a healthy vegetative size I will transplant them to a safe location I know under trees/out of the way. I'll let nature take its course from there.

But to kind of bounce off my play by play I will germinate the seeds in a Styrofoam cup and refresh the water every day until I see it crack and the root jjjuust starts to pop out. Then get another cup filled with my soil, (I live out in the country and the soil here is pitch black/rich). I'll keep the soil fluffy and put the seed root down about 1/4 inch down and cover it with soil (Again still fluffy not compressed).

I'll have them in a plastic container with light (Kind of confused on what lighting I should use for this technique). I plan on just giving them continuous light which I've heard speeds up this phase quicker, and I heard water twice a week. After the sprouts get a little bigger I'll get some pots and cut the cups open so I can transplant them directly into the pots while giving them minimum shock of the transplant. I will continue to water twice a week and give continuous light.

I will keep up this process until they are at a healthy size to survive outside like big girls. I'll take them to my spot and transplant them there. I suppose let nature take its course, I'll come out to water them twice a week if there is no rain...after that I guess it's all about waiting for the harvest.

Where can I improve on?

Edited by Blackd0ve420 (03/07/12 12:03 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: First Timer Is Drawing Out Plans [Re: Blackd0ve420]
    #608999 - 02/11/12 12:41 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

What can you improve on. 

Well seedling don't have a standard watering schedule.  If you water twice a week you will be over watering them by quite a bit.  Not much time to type at the moment.  So i'll get back to you with more.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
Re: First Timer Is Drawing Out Plans [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #609020 - 02/11/12 06:55 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Attitude seeds with the guaranteed shipping should get to you regardless. Even if it doesn't, its "guaranteed" (they'll reship). I personally wouldn't bother with a PO box, but thats up to you.

Autoflowers are very good for beginners, especially considering your plan.

If you choose a regular photo-period plant, it will remain in its vegetative state until the lighting is 12 hours of light or less per day. I'm not sure what the light schedule is like in Florida, but the days are getting longer not shorter right now. This means that your plant will probably not begin to flower until like...September? This translates to having a MONSTER plant, but not being able to harvest until late October.

An auto flower is...well, autoflowering. It doesn't matter what the light schedule is like (I've finished them under 24/0). Autoflower plants have a set life cycle (generally around 70 days) from seed to harvest. Considering this is your first grow attempt (right?) I suggest trying an auto out. It'll get you familiar with the plants life cycle, and will cater to a new growers patience levels :wink: A big plant outdoors also has a lot more potential to have something happen to it from now until 8 months from now, ya know?

As for the germination technique, I've heard that what you're planning on doing works just fine, but I personally do the wet paper towel thing. A lot less room for human error there. Wet a paper towel, put seeds in it, place in baggy, set in warm place (I set mine on top of my PS3. I've also used older TV's, etc). Usually within 3 days they have some nice tap roots shooting out and are ready to drop in your growing medium. Replacing water every day and all of that is just too much bother for me, personally...but again, up to you.

You will NOT want to use outdoor soil unless you have properly sterilized it. I think thats the word I'm looking for. When you bring in soil from outside, its full of tiny little critters you don't realize are there...which are all all too happy to spring to life under the wonderful warm bright lighting conditions you have given them. Either to fill your home with moths, or to fill your growing container with root-eating nasties. I'm sure theres a way to bake it or something to avoid all of this, but I haven't read into it.

As for the lighting, I'd suggest CFL lighting in your setup. Considering your vertical space is pretty limited, it seems to be the only real choice, unless you really rigged up something...I veg under CFL and have perfectly fine results, so don't let anyone convince you they aren't good enough.

I think I've helped with everything I specifically know about that you asked. If you have any more questions on autoflower vs photoperiod plants I'd be more than happy to explain in further detail. I'm happy to help, and wish you the best of luck in your new hobby! Its almost more fun than enjoying the harvest imo!

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

OfflineBlackd0ve420
 User Gallery

Re: First Timer Is Drawing Out Plans [Re: RasJeph]
    #609021 - 02/11/12 07:38 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
What can you improve on. 

Well seedling don't have a standard watering schedule.  If you water twice a week you will be over watering them by quite a bit.  Not much time to type at the moment.  So i'll get back to you with more.

Alright I'll await you're reply thank you! Is twice a week considered overwatering just when they're seedlings?

Quote:

RasJeph said:
Attitude seeds with the guaranteed shipping should get to you regardless. Even if it doesn't, its "guaranteed" (they'll reship). I personally wouldn't bother with a PO box, but thats up to you.

Autoflowers are very good for beginners, especially considering your plan.

If you choose a regular photo-period plant, it will remain in its vegetative state until the lighting is 12 hours of light or less per day. I'm not sure what the light schedule is like in Florida, but the days are getting longer not shorter right now. This means that your plant will probably not begin to flower until like...September? This translates to having a MONSTER plant, but not being able to harvest until late October.

An auto flower is...well, autoflowering. It doesn't matter what the light schedule is like (I've finished them under 24/0). Autoflower plants have a set life cycle (generally around 70 days) from seed to harvest. Considering this is your first grow attempt (right?) I suggest trying an auto out. It'll get you familiar with the plants life cycle, and will cater to a new growers patience levels :wink: A big plant outdoors also has a lot more potential to have something happen to it from now until 8 months from now, ya know?

As for the germination technique, I've heard that what you're planning on doing works just fine, but I personally do the wet paper towel thing. A lot less room for human error there. Wet a paper towel, put seeds in it, place in baggy, set in warm place (I set mine on top of my PS3. I've also used older TV's, etc). Usually within 3 days they have some nice tap roots shooting out and are ready to drop in your growing medium. Replacing water every day and all of that is just too much bother for me, personally...but again, up to you.

You will NOT want to use outdoor soil unless you have properly sterilized it. I think thats the word I'm looking for. When you bring in soil from outside, its full of tiny little critters you don't realize are there...which are all all too happy to spring to life under the wonderful warm bright lighting conditions you have given them. Either to fill your home with moths, or to fill your growing container with root-eating nasties. I'm sure theres a way to bake it or something to avoid all of this, but I haven't read into it.

As for the lighting, I'd suggest CFL lighting in your setup. Considering your vertical space is pretty limited, it seems to be the only real choice, unless you really rigged up something...I veg under CFL and have perfectly fine results, so don't let anyone convince you they aren't good enough.

I think I've helped with everything I specifically know about that you asked. If you have any more questions on autoflower vs photoperiod plants I'd be more than happy to explain in further detail. I'm happy to help, and wish you the best of luck in your new hobby! Its almost more fun than enjoying the harvest imo!

Thank you so much for the reply that was all very helpful/appreciated. Yes this is going to be my first grow, so what you described with the autoflowering I think confirms my choice. The thought of having a "monster" plant is tempting but I think it'll be like you said and my patience will be tearing itself to shreds haha  :grin: . It's kinda weird down in FL...no cold snaps this year it's staying warm.  :shrug:

I am assuming there's no special maintenance I'll have to do for an auto, besides expect the harvest quicker.

I haven't tried germinating with the paper towel technique before..I'll look it up.

It also sounds like a real pain to sterilize the outside soil...I know it's good soil and all but if I have to go through that process I might just as well get something from the store; Miracle grow? (I've heard mixed feelings on this one). Though what should I do when I transplant it outside? Since at that point the plant is grown up a bit would it be alright to just plant it in the soil outside? Or should I dig a hole and put store bought soil in it, THEN plant it in that?

I might forget the P.O box to cut down on costs, like I said I am not too paranoid about feds, if it gets through customs then it should be fine I suppose. I also need to order my mushroom spores so I can start that up to, AH so many projects! :willynilly:

Edited by Blackd0ve420 (02/11/12 07:41 AM)

Offlinemadcaps
    #609026 - 02/11/12 08:39 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

i live in florida also, getting seeds from a seed bank is no prob. germinate them in a moist paper towel in a zip lock partially open, if i were you i would transplant into rockwool,  once it sprouts put under florescents,sex them,  thrash the males, once plant gets 4 inches i would transplant into a rockwool double bucket ebb flow sys. put a 400 w hps all the way up on 18 hrs a day,with a fan blowing, till plant is 18 inches,than switch to 12/12. i would than switch to a 1000 w hps for flower i would use general hydroponics nutes you will need a ppm and ph tester, you also will need a co2 generater and a portable a/c recycling the air, i reuse the water that drips out of the a/c for feeding. if u have people that come to ur house, grow something that doesnt reek, g-13 is perfect. a carbon scrubber is a nice addition, for smell

here is what im doing and why florida is not friendly to growers

http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/609017

OfflineBlackd0ve420
 User Gallery

Re: First Timer Is Drawing Out Plans [Re: madcaps]
    #609034 - 02/11/12 10:46 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

madcaps said:
i live in florida also, getting seeds from a seed bank is no prob. germinate them in a moist paper towel in a zip lock partially open, if i were you i would transplant into rockwool,  once it sprouts put under florescents,sex them,  thrash the males, once plant gets 4 inches i would transplant into a rockwool double bucket ebb flow sys. put a 400 w hps all the way up on 18 hrs a day,with a fan blowing, till plant is 18 inches,than switch to 12/12. i would than switch to a 1000 w hps for flower i would use general hydroponics nutes you will need a ppm and ph tester, you also will need a co2 generater and a portable a/c recycling the air, i reuse the water that drips out of the a/c for feeding. if u have people that come to ur house, grow something that doesnt reek, g-13 is perfect. a carbon scrubber is a nice addition, for smell

here is what im doing and why florida is not friendly to growers

http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/609017

I think I'll try out the paper towel method. I'll be going with florescent lighting. I am going to try to go as simple as possible for my first run. Mainly just trying not to run into first time noobie screw ups. I looked at your link, I am not trying to go for huge bulk, I am not trying to sell/deal really. I might sell a little to my close friends just to get my money back(Don't worry I plan on telling NO ONE, even my closest friends about these projects), but otherwise the satisfaction of growing and for my own medicinal use is plenty for me.

I just ordered my seeds from The Attitude (got that t-shirt for guaranteed shipping) so I'll let you all know when they arrive. Also ordered my spores too so now I can prep the area while I wait for them to arrive.

Edited by Blackd0ve420 (02/11/12 10:48 AM)

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

#609038 - 02/11/12 11:28 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Happy to help! I had a lot of help getting started myself, so I love returning the favor to others :thumbup: Also, I recognize your avatar from the Shroomery (if its the same one you use there) and I never posted there much, so I assume you might have helped me at some point haha.

Maintenance on an auto...hmmm, not really that I can think of. I don't even top them because they don't have a long enough veg period. They can't be cloned because they aren't photoperiodic plants, so thats one less thing to worry about.

I think theres a type of Miracle Grow soil that IS ok to use, but just any old bag of soil won't be right. You're really best off checking out a hydroponics store for some nice soil...if you're going to look for some I personally can suggest Fox Farm Ocean Forest and Roots Organics soil. Either of those you can add quite a bit of perilite to to extend the bags (I believe up to 50/50,  but check on that). Just make sure you get plain perilite (a lot of times it has some nutrients on it, which you probably don't want.)

You could probably plant it directly in the soil, but adding your own soil in as a supplement to nature is always helpful, I'm sure. I'm very new to the outdoor thing myself, and mine usually end up getting eaten by deer or bunnies because I forget to block them off lol. Something I'll have to be learning to avoid this year myself.

--------------------

OfflineBlackd0ve420
 User Gallery

#609041 - 02/11/12 11:44 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

RasJeph said:
Happy to help! I had a lot of help getting started myself, so I love returning the favor to others :thumbup: Also, I recognize your avatar from the Shroomery (if its the same one you use there) and I never posted there much, so I assume you might have helped me at some point haha.

Maintenance on an auto...hmmm, not really that I can think of. I don't even top them because they don't have a long enough veg period. They can't be cloned because they aren't photoperiodic plants, so thats one less thing to worry about.

I think theres a type of Miracle Grow soil that IS ok to use, but just any old bag of soil won't be right. You're really best off checking out a hydroponics store for some nice soil...if you're going to look for some I personally can suggest Fox Farm Ocean Forest and Roots Organics soil. Either of those you can add quite a bit of perilite to to extend the bags (I believe up to 50/50,  but check on that). Just make sure you get plain perilite (a lot of times it has some nutrients on it, which you probably don't want.)

You could probably plant it directly in the soil, but adding your own soil in as a supplement to nature is always helpful, I'm sure. I'm very new to the outdoor thing myself, and mine usually end up getting eaten by deer or bunnies because I forget to block them off lol. Something I'll have to be learning to avoid this year myself.

Haha nice, yeah I believe I have a different avatar there now, but 90% of the time I had the same avatar as this(and same SN). I hope I was helpful if I did help :tongue:, I like to help out when I can as well. I'll be getting  perilite anyways for my mushroom grows, I guess I'll research soils..I'll look up the ones you recommend and see if I can find them. Are there certain additives in the soil I need to avoid when looking? I'll try and find a hydroponics store around and see what's available.

As for the outdoors..I probably will add my own soil since the spot I had in mind doesn't exactly have the best soil, but it is on top of hill with lots of tree cover and the cows/wild life don't venture there. It's also by a creek which is handy for watering.

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

#609046 - 02/11/12 12:02 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Well, Miracle Grow has time-release nutrients, which can fuck up your grow when you feed them later on in their life cycle. It often tends to be too "hot" for cannabis I believe.

I never really read too much into what is good/bad in soil, because I found some Ocean Forest at a local nursery. I just accepted that it was good and rolled with it kinda haha.

I'm sure someone with more expertise will pop in and fill in the gaps.

--------------------

OfflineBlackd0ve420
 User Gallery

#609101 - 02/11/12 10:00 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Haha alright thanks :smile:. I'll research some soil info while I wait for more people to post here. All posts are welcome/appreciated! I'll post here once I receive my shippment.

OfflineBlackd0ve420
 User Gallery

#609157 - 02/12/12 08:56 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Spores are shipped and the attitude reported it is packaging my order  :dancer: I might need to put them in the fridge for a short period of time in case my prep area is not ready yet, but I am sure I'll be able to finish it.

OfflineBlackd0ve420
 User Gallery

#610198 - 02/22/12 01:40 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Seeds just arrived and also have my spores, got an awesome t-shirt. I love how they packaged everything, it made me lol.

I'll probably be able to start within a couple days. Right now they're being stored in my fridge around 40-50 and still in the tubes.

I am going to hunt down some soil to use for them and begin the project. I'll keep you posted with pics!

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #610204 - 02/22/12 03:35 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Store at room temp man.  No need to refrigerate seeds.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineMiscusi
Grade 10
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Sunnyvale Trailer Park, C... Flag
    #610245 - 02/22/12 08:49 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
Store at room temp man.  No need to refrigerate seeds.

Correct, Unless theyre poppy seeds..

You pop them in a fridge over night to mimic that last frost of the year :wink:

--------------------

"You cant arrest me, im high I cant understand my rights!"

Nanook said:
" People learn differently. Some can observe and gather what they need, others need to do it and experience all the options. One of those options being: burning down a mini fridge. "

Anything posted by me related to cultivation or illegal activities is purely fictional. It is intended for educational or entertainment purposes only.

Please help support the fight for Medical Marijuana in Florida

OfflineBlackd0ve420
 User Gallery

Re: First Timer Is Drawing Out Plans [Re: Miscusi]
    #610248 - 02/22/12 10:02 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Alright I just took them out of the fridge and stored them else where at room temp (74 degrees). It wasn't that bad in there it was a little mini fridge at like 50 degrees. Does the cold affect the seeds negatively? I saw some posts in my search that the fridge is where you should store them. Just curious.

OfflineMiscusi
Grade 10
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Sunnyvale Trailer Park, C... Flag
    #610266 - 02/23/12 12:08 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Cold I don't think effects them either positively or negatively.

Viability may diminish over time.. But then again Russian scientist just grew seeds that were in the Siberian permafrost for 30,000 years.. :shrug:

--------------------

"You cant arrest me, im high I cant understand my rights!"

Nanook said:
" People learn differently. Some can observe and gather what they need, others need to do it and experience all the options. One of those options being: burning down a mini fridge. "

Anything posted by me related to cultivation or illegal activities is purely fictional. It is intended for educational or entertainment purposes only.

Please help support the fight for Medical Marijuana in Florida

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: First Timer Is Drawing Out Plans [Re: Miscusi]
    #610286 - 02/23/12 03:29 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Shouldn't hurt them at all man.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineBlackd0ve420
 User Gallery

#610803 - 02/27/12 10:40 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I decided to just do my cup method since I've done it before and am already comfortable with it. I am doing two seeds to start. I started germinating them 24 hours ago. I checked on them and they have dropped to the bottom of the cup and you can start to see the tap root (Just visible). Going to check on it in the morning. Going to wait until the tap root is out a little bit before planting.

Here we go!

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #610805 - 02/27/12 10:56 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Good luck man.

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlinepunkrocker292004
Stranger

#610975 - 02/28/12 09:08 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

ide say if your gonna do autos get a 150-250 watt hps on 24/0 untill the last feww weeks thats what i did they grow strong i can personally vouche for the attitude im in the states

p.s fast bud auto assasin two great auto strains

--------------------
on a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero-tyler durden

MHRB

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals