Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebm90191
New To Growery
 User Gallery

Pink nugs?
    #609639 - 02/17/12 05:56 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Anyone have any experience growing nugs that look like this??

I have never seen anything like that in person.  I was trying to see if there is a reason the plant would turn shades of pink and red like that, if its genetics, a deficiency or certain nutes??

Just trying to expand my knowledge on cultivation anyone out there have any ideas?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Pink nugs? [Re: bm90191]
    #609642 - 02/17/12 07:16 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Genetics and a good deal of photoshop.

--------------------

Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

Re: Pink nugs? [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #609646 - 02/17/12 07:21 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

what makes you think photoshop?

Offlinebm90191
New To Growery
 User Gallery

Re: Pink nugs? [Re: kyuzo]
    #609655 - 02/17/12 08:34 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Doesn't the purple in purple plants come from a deficiency of sugars or something in the plant (not any kind of nutrient deficiency)?  Could that color just be from certain conditions that could be manipulated?

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #609675 - 02/18/12 02:30 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Common sense? Experience growing and reading about grows?

--------------------

Offlinebm90191
New To Growery
 User Gallery

#609686 - 02/18/12 08:01 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:

you should quote what your responding to i can't tell if it's what i asked or if it was to the dude who asked you why you thought it was photoshopped..

Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

#609693 - 02/18/12 09:08 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:

well, usually when people identify the use of color doctoring it's based on noting some other color value being off in the image.  Hence the question

Offlinebm90191
New To Growery
 User Gallery

#609695 - 02/18/12 09:39 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

kyuzo said:
Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:

well, usually when people identify the use of color doctoring it's based on noting some other color value being off in the image.  Hence the question

what do you mean i think im just really high my boy just got a package of og kush from humboldt conty...that Best (west) Coast shit super dank

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #609696 - 02/18/12 10:01 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

bm90191 said:
Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:

you should quote what your responding to i can't tell if it's what i asked or if it was to the dude who asked you why you thought it was photoshopped..

Allow me to introduce you to the quick reply feature of the website. Look at the top of the post and it says who I'm responding to.

--------------------

Offlinebm90191
New To Growery
 User Gallery

#609705 - 02/18/12 10:27 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

opps i guess you learn something new every day lol

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #609730 - 02/18/12 04:19 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I have seen pink buds, nothing like what they're showing in your photo though.  Just pink hairs.  I thinks they'res a decent amount of photo shop in there as well.

A

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

#609764 - 02/18/12 08:23 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

bm90191 said:
Quote:

kyuzo said:
Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:

what do you mean i think im just really high my boy just got a package of og kush from humboldt conty...that Best (west) Coast shit super dank

many times a photo with doctored coloring will have other items in it that show a similar shift in color

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #609879 - 02/19/12 04:57 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Doesn't the purple in purple plants come from a deficiency of sugars or something in the plant

Most often it's caused by cold temperatures. Next would be genetics which is the one that is most favorable.  :happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinebm90191
New To Growery
 User Gallery

Re: Pink nugs? [Re: Magash]
    #609880 - 02/19/12 05:05 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I read in another thread something about rare phenotypes producing pink pistils ...the pictures only had that though pink on the pistils the rest of the plant was bright green possibility with that phenotype plus cool temps maybe?

Invisiblewishcouldeletethis
Female User Gallery

Re: Pink nugs? *DELETED* [Re: Magash]
    #610044 - 02/21/12 09:22 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Post deleted by lampshadehelmet

Reason for deletion: k

Offlinebm90191
New To Growery
 User Gallery

Re: Pink nugs? [Re: wishcouldeletethis]
    #610047 - 02/21/12 09:35 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

lampshadehelmet said:
I have to agree with the temperature being the main cause...I have seen this many times with different strains from simply being grown outdoors. It is more just the pistols which have that nice neon pink color not so much the nugs...but they do tend to gain colors like that from being left to the point of the top leaves fading in color and being fully mature.

kind of like trees turning red, yellow and orange in their leaves when the weather really starts getting cold in the fall?  Same concept?

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #610051 - 02/21/12 09:50 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

bm90191 said:
Quote:

lampshadehelmet said:
I have to agree with the temperature being the main cause...I have seen this many times with different strains from simply being grown outdoors. It is more just the pistols which have that nice neon pink color not so much the nugs...but they do tend to gain colors like that from being left to the point of the top leaves fading in color and being fully mature.

kind of like trees turning red, yellow and orange in their leaves when the weather really starts getting cold in the fall?  Same concept?

Umm actually no, but it's good you made that connection.

Cannabis leaves change color due to soil depletion at the end of the growing cycle. Since it's an annual plant (dies in the winter, needs seeds to sprout in the fall) it consumes all available nutrients around it to maximize reproductive viability. Since nitrogen in it's various forms (nitrates, nitrites, and nitric acids) are some of the most mobile of all nutritious compounds, they are consumed first, hence why cannabis yellows toward the end of its life cycle.

Trees on the other hand are perennial, so they need to plan ahead to be able to shake off the winter and come back in the spring. The trick there is the catch-22 where they need to photosynthesize to produce biomass, but they have no leaves. They need leaves to make leaves. How fair is that?  Now the tough part is that Chlorophyll A and B are incredibly energy intensive to produce and require massive amounts of metabolitic exertion and nutrients.  Once again, they can't do that if they don't even have leaves to fuel the cycle. So every fall when the trees start yellowing, it's not nitrogen depletion as it is with flowering eudicots and smaller angiosperms such as cannabis, it's actually the trees removing the Chlorophyll from the leaves and storing it within the xylem and phloem in the circulatory pathways within. The colors you see are the less energy intensive secondary photosynthetic compounds (carotenoids (orange) xanthophylls (yellow and red) and Phaeophytin a + b (greyish brown)) that are left behind after the chlorophyll is removed.

--------------------

Offlinebm90191
New To Growery
 User Gallery

#610052 - 02/21/12 09:58 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
Quote:

bm90191 said:
Quote:

lampshadehelmet said:

Umm actually no, but it's good you made that connection.

Cannabis leaves change color due to soil depletion at the end of the growing cycle. Since it's an annual plant (dies in the winter, needs seeds to sprout in the fall) it consumes all available nutrients around it to maximize reproductive viability. Since nitrogen in it's various forms (nitrates, nitrites, and nitric acids) are some of the most mobile of all nutritious compounds, they are consumed first, hence why cannabis yellows toward the end of its life cycle.

Trees on the other hand are perennial, so they need to plan ahead to be able to shake off the winter and come back in the spring. The trick there is the catch-22 where they need to photosynthesize to produce biomass, but they have no leaves. They need leaves to make leaves. How fair is that?  Now the tough part is that Chlorophyll A and B are incredibly energy intensive to produce and require massive amounts of metabolitic exertion and nutrients.  Once again, they can't do that if they don't even have leaves to fuel the cycle. So every fall when the trees start yellowing, it's not nitrogen depletion as it is with flowering eudicots and smaller angiosperms such as cannabis, it's actually the trees removing the Chlorophyll from the leaves and storing it within the xylem and phloem in the circulatory pathways within. The colors you see are the less energy intensive secondary photosynthetic compounds (carotenoids (orange) xanthophylls (yellow and red) and Phaeophytin a + b (greyish brown)) that are left behind after the chlorophyll is removed.

:thumbup:  Very educational, do you have an academic background in botany or something?  Or just your own research?  It's funny since the laws passed around here to make medicinal marijuana legal the local university has skyrocketed with botany students haha.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #610057 - 02/21/12 10:23 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Yes, I have a college degree or two, and work professionally as a research scientist.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder