Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinechowdan
Stranger
 User Gallery

Are my calculations correct?
    #599882 - 12/05/11 09:22 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Hey all,

So i have been planning a to do a PVC grow tent. Haven't figured the exact measurements or anything like that. But since i'm only in the design stage i have been working on price quotes on what it will cost me to build, gain materials, cost a month/total grow cost and so forth.

I have terrible math skills so i would like others to look over my numbers. I live in Seattle and am trying to figure out what it will cost for a CFL grow. I will be using 125w CFL's for hopefully 4-6 plants in a DWC or a soil grow. I am planning on having 3x125w cfl's.

So here it goes:

125w CFL uses .125 kWh per hour
Seattle charges .0461cents per kWh

0.125 * 13(hrs run a day)= 1.625 kWh per day
1.625kWh * .0461 = .07491c per day
.07491 * 70(days) = $5.243

$5.243 per 125w CFL running 13 hour days for 70 days?

So just over 2 months of growing with 3x125w CFL's i'd spend $15.729? Is that correct?

--------------------
I am a legal patient in Washington. Everything i do and say on here is for personal gain.

- We live in a free country as long as you can follow the governments laws...-

Edited by chowdan (12/05/11 09:38 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinechowdan
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Are my calculations correct? [Re: chowdan]
    #599901 - 12/05/11 10:26 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Thats also another question i had, are 3 125w CFL's too much? I know you can't have "too" much, but im on a budget. A budget so low that im trying to stay as close to 100$ on my whole setup.

Which is why i would like to figure out what my monthly cost will be(total 1 time investment for things like lighting and such).

I am thinking about making a 30 gallon tote with 4 plants.

--------------------
I am a legal patient in Washington. Everything i do and say on here is for personal gain.

OfflineDimo114
Ranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: White House
    #599910 - 12/05/11 10:53 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Hmm well yeah thats about right, but you should include energy whasted by your fans/ac/air filters.
My 400 watt hps running 12hrs a day comes out to 34$ a month, but I think my rates are a bit higher.

If you are on a budget, do yourself a favour and dont whaste money on cfls. A 250 watt hps w/ mh convertible bulb will COST LESS and provide BETTER LIGHTING then 375 watts of cfl. Also, it would produce about the same amount of heat, if not less. if I was you I would get 2 150 watt hps's, those dont get hot even if you dont air cool them.

Even if you decide to go CFL, you should get regular hardware store cfls, to distribute the light better. Get 42watt (200 watt equivalent) bulbs, a few sockets, a couple Y-sockets and make your own fixture. This will provide even light distribution and temperature throughout the growspace. Big CFL bulbs get very hot (very close to a low wattage hps), while they dont have much more penetration potential then the small ones).

I'd be happy to give you a rouph shopping list for both (cfl/hid), but you didnt specify the size of the grow. How many sq ft are you going to use? AROUND how much money would you LIKE to spend?

Offlinewire5
Awesome Possum

Loc: "The sticks"
Re: Are my calculations correct? [Re: Dimo114]
    #599925 - 12/06/11 12:33 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Everything total for me added about 25 dolars.

I will be happy to help as well. But we will need to know you're "Maximum" dollar amount. As well as the size of your space. Also any idea for about how long you want to veg/bud your plants?

Edit: What are those 125's equivalent. The best rule I've read (or the one I follow) is about 50 watts per small plant (1-3 foot). What spectrum are they (or did I miss this).

--------------------
In order to grow good weed you need to be part carpenter, electrician, plumber, biologist, geneticist, chemist, and very willing to get dirty.

I've been working with power tools since I was 8, my dad is an electrical engineer who owned a 280 gal fish tank, and I studied biology with a specialty in genetics. Getting dirty comes naturally. I think my parents inadvertently trained me to be a weed grower.

See what you think on my first try.

Edited by wire5 (12/06/11 12:39 AM)

Offlinechowdan
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Are my calculations correct? [Re: wire5]
    #599953 - 12/06/11 07:58 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Hey all!

Thanks for the replies guys!

My grow area sq ft is about 5 sqft. I plan on having a shelve at about 3ft mark and, use the lower section for my babies and clones and the top section for my vegging and mature plants(this is all depending on money).

I would like to keep it around 150-200$.

It'd be great to get a shopping list from you guys. That'd be super helpful!

I was reading a book about growing called the "grower's bible" and it said a cfl setup can rival HID's if you learn how to use them properly? Not sure how true that is. Id like to get a few grows under my belt using something on the cheap and then work my way up to the good stuff. Sorta like i do with everything else. You dont just buy a classic $3k guitar because you want to learn how to play it.

Anyways all help is greatly appreciated!

--------------------

Offlinechowdan
Stranger
 User Gallery

#599956 - 12/06/11 08:25 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Also forgot to say I'd like to have a 2.5 month turn over of crops.

--------------------

Offlinewire5
Awesome Possum

Loc: "The sticks"
    #600463 - 12/08/11 11:59 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

So expect to be vegging your plant for a half month or so. Each plant will probably be just under a square foot (if not SCROGed). And 150-200 shouldn't be a problem.

Good soil: $25ish
Box of bulbs compact floros, wiring, sockets, and splitters (2 way standard bulb splitters): $40+
Pots+Trays: $10
B+W Poly/mylar and/or tarp (to black out flowering room: $25-$30)
Liquid nutrients: $30
Security light with HPS bulb (from homedepot): $70

--------------------
In order to grow good weed you need to be part carpenter, electrician, plumber, biologist, geneticist, chemist, and very willing to get dirty.

I've been working with power tools since I was 8, my dad is an electrical engineer who owned a 280 gal fish tank, and I studied biology with a specialty in genetics. Getting dirty comes naturally. I think my parents inadvertently trained me to be a weed grower.

See what you think on my first try.

Offlinechowdan
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Are my calculations correct? [Re: wire5]
    #600629 - 12/09/11 09:09 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Hey!

Thanks for the reply! That list looks good to me! Though I was wondering about one thing. I wwas looking into stealth hydro and they had a super simple dwc system(not the recirculation kind) that was like 40$. I have tote that would be perfect for a system. Should I just build my own system like that? I own fish so I have a spare air pump aswell(not sure if it works though-have to have a look tonight).

So I'd only need clay pellets, anew pump/air stone(maybe) and nutrients. I think that would lower my cost out the door since I have equipment already.but I could be wrong. Any thoughts? Do you get more weight per plant? Or better quality smoke?

Thanks again! I should be going do homedepot in the next week or so.

--------------------

OfflineDimo114
Ranger
Male User Gallery

#600636 - 12/09/11 10:07 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

http://htgsupply.com/Product-HTGSupply-150-watt-High-Pressure-Sodium-Grow-Light.asp
150 watt HPS kit. 70$

http://htgsupply.com/Product-Growbright-6-Inch-Clip-On-Fan.asp
Fan. Not too powerfull, but it lasts. 20$

http://htgsupply.com/Product-10-Foot-by-10-Foot-sheet-of-Black-&-White-Poly---6-mil.asp B&W polly. 9$ Should be enouph for your space.

http://htgsupply.com/Product-General-Hydroponics-pH-Control-Kit.asp PH Control Kit. Your most important tool! 20$

http://htgsupply.com/Product-Advanced-Nutrients-Grow-Micro-Bloom.asp Cheapest Tried&True Liquid Nutes. 40$

http://htgsupply.com/Product-FoxFarm%27s-Ocean-Forest-Potting-Mix-1.5-Cubic-Feet.asp FFOF Soil. 22$

182$ (im guessing 200 w/ shipping) can get you a really nice setup. Later, you can add a few cfl's for side lighting and added spectrum, but your girls wont need more light then this until flowering.

OfflineDimo114
Ranger
Male User Gallery

#600637 - 12/09/11 10:20 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

chowdan said:
Hey!

Thanks for the reply! That list looks good to me! Though I was wondering about one thing. I wwas looking into stealth hydro and they had a super simple dwc system(not the recirculation kind) that was like 40$. I have tote that would be perfect for a system. Should I just build my own system like that? I own fish so I have a spare air pump aswell(not sure if it works though-have to have a look tonight).

So I'd only need clay pellets, anew pump/air stone(maybe) and nutrients. I think that would lower my cost out the door since I have equipment already.but I could be wrong. Any thoughts? Do you get more weight per plant? Or better quality smoke?

Thanks again! I should be going do homedepot in the next week or so.

Is this your first grow? If it is I recommend you go w/ soil to get a feel of the plant's life cycle. A lot of people argue that hydro=better, more buds but no one proved that yet, to the best of my knowledge. Anyway, a lot of people argue that soil grown bud's taste and smell can't be matched by hydro/aero so its not a clear choice.
Then again, I never used DWC, so I may be wrong.
But I mean how much can that really cut down? You are replacing soil and pots (30$ sum, if you get the best stuff), with Totes (Im guessing you will need more then one, unless yours if huge?) clay and possibly air-pump+stone. Again, im no expert on hydro supplys, and how long they last but IMHO I don't think you will spend less in the end.

OfflineDimo114
Ranger
Male User Gallery

#600638 - 12/09/11 10:36 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Scratch the nutes. Heres 3 Part ORGANIC Fert+5 additives/sweeteners...wish i saw this deal when i was shopping for myself:mad2:

OfflineDimo114
Ranger
Male User Gallery

#600639 - 12/09/11 10:37 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates