Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGANJA_FAHMA
WANTED: Lowrider Beans!!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pacific Ocean
Quesion with my lighting choices for flowering. Need feedback.
    #403701 - 04/19/10 04:31 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I currently have a bright-wing reflector for a CFL, so I was going to buy a 250w 2,700k CFL by FELIZ($100 locally)  and dangle a 65w and 2-42w 2,700k cfl's(already have) on the sides. But, the other day I was in Home Depot and noticed these 70w HPS floodlight's on clearance for $14.99. So basically for $30 plus maybe 10-15 bucks for a couple appliance cords I could have 140w of HPS, which would put out about the same lumens as the 250w CFL i believe. So although I want to put my new reflector to use, I'm thinking of just using it for my veg and swapping over to those cheap ass HPS flood light's for flowering. My little wardrobe closet foot print is 30" x 20". I could even fit 3 side by side i think, but idk if the would be a heat issue.

Anyone wanna offer their opinion on this? I know you will probably say for that price it's a no brainer to go with the 70w fixtures but guess I'm just lookin for a little reassurance.

--------------------
Da Tree Amiga's!!!

Mango-Hawaiian Punch -Northern Lights X

and a few other suprises!  COMING SOON....

:advisory:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDieselB
High Watt Closet
Male

Re: Quesion with my lighting choices for flowering. Need feedback. [Re: GANJA_FAHMA]
    #403718 - 04/19/10 07:24 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Those HPS lights probably do not include the ballast. Honestly, your cfl setup sounds pretty good.

--------------------
If you ain't smokin' dro, you're smokin' reggie. :shrug:

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Quesion with my lighting choices for flowering. Need feedback. [Re: GANJA_FAHMA]
    #403748 - 04/19/10 09:12 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

GANJA_FAHMA said:
I currently have a bright-wing reflector for a CFL, so I was going to buy a 250w 2,700k CFL by FELIZ($100 locally)  and dangle a 65w and 2-42w 2,700k cfl's(already have) on the sides. But, the other day I was in Home Depot and noticed these 70w HPS floodlight's on clearance for $14.99. So basically for $30 plus maybe 10-15 bucks for a couple appliance cords I could have 140w of HPS, which would put out about the same lumens as the 250w CFL i believe. So although I want to put my new reflector to use, I'm thinking of just using it for my veg and swapping over to those cheap ass HPS flood light's for flowering. My little wardrobe closet foot print is 30" x 20". I could even fit 3 side by side i think, but idk if the would be a heat issue.

Anyone wanna offer their opinion on this? I know you will probably say for that price it's a no brainer to go with the 70w fixtures but guess I'm just lookin for a little reassurance.

I say go with the HPS's man.  They'll do much better than the cfl to start with.  To help the help of those lights you may want to find someone who can help you remove the ballast so they could be placed outside the grow area.  This will reduce heat in your grow area as well as increase life of the ballast.  Just fruit for thought.

OfflineGANJA_FAHMA
 User Gallery

Re: Quesion with my lighting choices for flowering. Need feedback. [Re: Stoneth]
    #403796 - 04/19/10 12:23 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for the feedback guys. I knew there was something tricky about this decision!

DieselB- The 70w HPS setup at HD for $15 includes bulb, ballast, and reflector. Looks like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=250611340978
I did want to do this CFL from start to finish but if I can get better results for a way better price then I'll do it. I have a 125w 6,500k in my bright-wing reflector for veg plus a few 26w cfl's and it seems to have fairly good penetration, so a 250w for flowering should have a ton. Although after doing research it doesn't seem to put out a significant amount of lumen more than the 125w. But every place I looked seemed to list different lumen outputs so this makes me wonder.

Stoney.69- If I remove the ballast from the reflector does this remove a significant amount of heat, or could I leave them in the unit and just have an exhaust fan overhead? 

Thanks again guys for your input!

Anyone else? :smile:

--------------------
Da Tree Amiga's!!!

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #403802 - 04/19/10 12:57 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah you could easily control the heat with an exhaust fan.

But life span of said fixture maybe shortened is all, in my opinion.

OfflineGANJA_FAHMA
 User Gallery

140w of HPS or 250w of CFL. Need feedback. [Re: Stoneth]
    #404014 - 04/20/10 02:51 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Went by there again today. they are actually 20 bucks. Still a steal? what do you guys think? spend $50 or so for 2 of these or $100 for the 250w 2,700k CFL? which would plug in to my existing bright-wing fixture

140w HPS vs. 250w CFL

I will probably still incorporate the 2-42w and 1-65 cfl's in the area, either route I choose. Would appreciate more comment before I decide.

I have zero experience with HPS. I am having awesome results with my current cfl setup, and this is my first even indoor operation. Use to use the good ol' Sun but not an option anymore due to the neighborhood I now live in, so just trying to see what I can do under a roof.

--------------------
Da Tree Amiga's!!!

Invisible13eetleJuice
The ghost with the most
Male

Loc: 6' under fertalizing bud
Re: 140w of HPS or 250w of CFL. Need feedback. [Re: GANJA_FAHMA]
    #404028 - 04/20/10 04:17 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Check out this 150watt HPS focused security light I found on sale at LightingDirect. It's only $55. :shrug:

http://www.lightingdirect.com/designers-fountain-sb-hp150fl-high-pressure-sodium-security-flood-light/p915472

--------------------

Edited by 13eetleJuice (04/20/10 04:34 AM)

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Phish Tour Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: 140w of HPS or 250w of CFL. Need feedback. [Re: 13eetleJuice]
    #404035 - 04/20/10 05:28 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I say find a good 250W HPS!!!

Or don't listen to me and in about 6 months you're gonna be sayin', "Ya know, that Dr. GreenThumb was right.":shrug:

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #404079 - 04/20/10 08:18 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

You would no doubt be happier with the HPS.

If you have the cash on hand I'd listen to Dr.Greenthumb, the more light the better the results.

--------------------
:getstoned:

OfflineGANJA_FAHMA
 User Gallery

Re: 140w of HPS or 250w of CFL. Need feedback. [Re: 13eetleJuice]
    #404144 - 04/20/10 11:00 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

13eetleJuice said:
Check out this 150watt HPS focused security light I found on sale at LightingDirect. It's only $55. :shrug:

http://www.lightingdirect.com/designers-fountain-sb-hp150fl-high-pressure-sodium-security-flood-light/p915472

Hey thanks for lookin out bro, this is in fact a better fixture and i think a 150 watt hps puts out quit a bit more lumens than 2-70w if im correct. But knowing me I would just go pick up the 70's at HD simply because I can drive five minutes away and have it in my hand and not have to wait for shipping. Your doing a CFL only grow yourself, Are you not satisfied with the results?? I have been following your thread and have nothing but positive things to say about your work.:thumbup:

Quote:

DrGreenThumb I say find a good 250W HPS!!!

Or don't listen to me and in about 6 months you're gonna be sayin', "Ya know, that Dr. GreenThumb was right.":shrug:

Ohh, I will do this trust me on that Dr. Smarty Pants! just not this time around. And since you put it so bluntly I'm going to say, Fuck dicking with the 2 70 watt hps and will get the 250w feliz cfl to flower out this grow(gotta put new reflector to some use!) And, that way I can say I completed a 250w CFL only grow and in "6 months" I can also say I completed a 250w HPS grow, for experience sake, ya know?. Then when I see threads asking about cfl or hps, I will be able to supply them with an unbiased opinion!

LoL! Dont worry dogg I'm just fuckin with ya. :smile: I know I shouldn't be wasting my time with CFL's or low wattage HPS but with the little wardrobe my setup is in I was afraid I'd burn the house down with a high wattage HPS so I decided to just go CFL until I invest or build a better enclosure. That is why I was asking about those specific (2) options. But I do understand why you guys step in a thread and say things like
Quote:

I say find a good 250W HPS!!!

, and its because you really hate seeing noobs waste their hard earned money and something thats going to give us a fraction of the results we could get by simply investing a few more bucks.

Anyway, your a good guy. Thanks for lookin out bro. :thumbup:

--------------------
Da Tree Amiga's!!!

Invisible13eetleJuice
The ghost with the most
Male

Loc: 6' under fertalizing bud
    #404215 - 04/20/10 01:34 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

GANJA_FAHMA said:
Hey thanks for lookin out bro, this is in fact a better fixture and i think a 150 watt hps puts out quit a bit more lumens than 2-70w if im correct. But knowing me I would just go pick up the 70's at HD simply because I can drive five minutes away and have it in my hand and not have to wait for shipping. Your doing a CFL only grow yourself, Are you not satisfied with the results?? I have been following your thread and have nothing but positive things to say about your work.:thumbup:

That sounds a lot like how I feel about it. If it were me I'd have already bought at least one of the 70watters as a centerpiece for the CFL array if nothing else. Just to give it that extra penetration through the middle. Hell if it were me I'd be wiring it up right now lol.

I feel the same way about the convenience and instant gratification of shopping locally. I only found the 150w fixture while browsing online trying to locate a sale on the 70watter that you mentioned. Unfortunately, the cheapest 70watt HPS that my local outlet carries is $40.

I've seen some 150watt HPS grow lights complete with mounted ballast and vented reflector for as low as $70 online. Call me a pothead but, I'm just too paranoid to order anything as blatantly obvious as a "Grow Light" online. :shrug: ...however, I do post pictures of growing weed on the internet so, yeah my logic probably isn't so sound. :lol::crazy2:

Oh and hey thanks for checking out my grow log. My satisfaction is as high as can be expected considering I'm a complete novice and have no idea what I'm doing. I... hope it's doing good. :macdre:

To say that it looks amazing to me isn't saying much. It's only the second time I've ever laid eyes on weed that hasn't been dried and compressed into a brick.:tongue:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order