Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinewire5
Awesome Possum

Loc: "The sticks"
First time grow with bag seeds under CFL and HPS
    #590809 - 10/06/11 12:55 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

So it's finally happening, seedlings have been placed into the earth, I have also wired up 2 "Daylight" CFL's with 26 watt equivelent, I am also running a 42 watt equivalent super sized pig tail CFL that is "soft white." These are positioned 4 and 2 inches (respectively)above the tops of the containers.

I wired all three up into a rubbermaid container which will just be allowed 24 hours of light.

They are planted in 20 oz bottles with "Earth Gro" Organic soil mix. It states 80% hummus and 20% manure, the "nute values" are .05-.05-.05 and it was cheap so I figured it would be a good starter for seeds (with relatively no nutes) if nothing else. I have vermiculite and plan to pick up perilite tomorrow to mix in there.

In the near future:

I intend to re do my closets, I've decided to use my bed room closet (as opposed to the spare room's closet). I chose this because it is opposite from the road (nothing but woods for 100 yards behind my house), and I should be able to keep people out considerably easier. Mostly the former though. This will also include lining it with.... something... I might have to get creative, mylar is my first thought, Though I'm open to suggestions.

Find this fabled hydroponics store thats in the middle of nowhere on the outskirts of the city. Than I will pick up some Fox Farm ocean forest, as they do carry it, and 20$ a bag. Not bad. I'm also hoping the have 4 and/or 6 inch plastic square pots.

Buy a hood (or rather hoods) to make use of the two 150watt HPS Bulbs+Ballasts that were given to me. This will be from the same hydroponics store.... I'm still in disbelief about it being there...

Buy some fans; oscilating of course.

Buy a tarp to make as a door for my closet.

In the slightly more distant future:

Buy even more CFL's (BWHAHAHAHHAHA  :evil2: )

Possibly invest in a squirrel cage fan.

Make a carbon filter (I shouldn't have to worry too bad until budding right?)

make a cloning station.

Buy some killer beans

So yeah, thats it for now. I would have had pictures displaying my soil, my lighting setup, my closet, etc. But for some reason its not allowing me to put pictures on the tread at this time. I'll try again later tonight.

Till than, Peace.

Edited by wire5 (10/07/11 11:00 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinealjeezzy
killa
 User Gallery

Loc: east 10
Re: First time grow with bag seeds under CFL and HPS [Re: wire5]
    #591135 - 10/08/11 02:01 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

at 3 weeks old plants will be noticably smelly if your in the same room with them. i wouldn't put the lid on a tub with lights in it. the plants will cook man they need fresh air. and hps

OfflineDimo114
Ranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: White House
Re: First time grow with bag seeds under CFL and HPS [Re: aljeezzy]
    #591156 - 10/08/11 08:44 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

The reflector you are using for the big cfl will burn the bulb, happened to me.
I have no carbon filter or even oils burning, growing in a similar closet, and the smell is only noticable in that room. This depends a LOT on your genetics though.

P.S. I am a newb, so I still advise you stock up on Ozium just in case (I did)

Offlinewire5
Awesome Possum

Re: First time grow with bag seeds under CFL and HPS [Re: Dimo114]
    #591175 - 10/08/11 11:33 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Awesome. And to adress the two issues you guys spotted I noticed that myself and have begun taking precautions, I have propped the lid open allowing for much more air exchange :awesomenod: . I also took that silly hood off that ginormous CFL which also seems to be helping.

And thanks for the smell info, my house was built in WWII for either military or science personel to live in while they worked on building the first atomic bomb. As such there is no real ventilation. I shouldn't have to worry too bad about smell leaks than I think. I still intend to build a carbon filter.

I updated the soil and the seeds seem to be breaking earth. I should be going to the Hydro store tomorrow to start the HPS(s) up.

I've decided that I'm going to Screen of Green those gals

I also discovered a local nursery has Farfald(SP) pro potting soil. Any good?

I appreciate the attention and criticisms. I'll update with even more pictures (earth breaking seedlings, one of them is looking really hot) tomorrow. Also going to add a tapestry infront of the tarp that will be the door to my closet.

--------------------
In order to grow good weed you need to be part carpenter, electrician, plumber, biologist, geneticist, chemist, and very willing to get dirty.

I've been working with power tools since I was 8, my dad is an electrical engineer who owned a 280 gal fish tank, and I studied biology with a specialty in genetics. Getting dirty comes naturally. I think my parents inadvertently trained me to be a weed grower.

See what you think on my first try.

Edited by wire5 (10/08/11 11:42 PM)

OfflineDimo114
Ranger
Male User Gallery

#591200 - 10/09/11 01:18 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

What are the dimmentions of your closet?
If you use oscalading fans, you will have to replace them w/ an inline fan if you want to use a carbon filter. My advice to u is DONT BUY ANYTHING untill you have a list of EVERYTHING you need.

Also mylar will save you like 3$ over black & white poly, which is recomended.

If this is your first grow, and you just want buds for personal use, you should just buy 2 sockets, and hang the hid's vertically of of the clothes-hanger hanger(lack of a term). you can use b&w polly or mylar on your windows(behind curtains) and keep your closet door open with one regular fan moving the air around for ventelation(dont forget what time of year its about to be). During your first grow you will learn more about what the plants need/want then from reading about growing for years. You will know exactly how to spend your money; dont repeat my mistakes-.-

Offlinewire5
Awesome Possum

#591381 - 10/09/11 11:43 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Day 3

The closet is about 1.5 x 8 x 6 (to the nearest half foot).

Which do you think would be better, It'll probably come out to 6-10(if I'm super lucky) plants that will be screed to fill as much of that space as possible. Would I require an inline+carbon filter, or would some oscilating fan and clever positioning work and smell just not be THAT bad of a problem.

Its my first grow, the intention is that me and my friend are going to grow this; well mostly me. In return for the lights he's given me, as well as using him to run errands and dragging him along on the boring tedious shit, he'll get some nice home grown smoke  :jah: , maybe some cash if I yield enough to warrant trying to move.

I'm confident at least a few of those seeds are of good stock, they came from a big time grower who, when he'd mess up and a male would slip through, sell stuff that had seeds as "middie." A few of them however are from compressed dirt weed.

Also the trip ended up being a bust. But thats ok, because now I've done some much needed thinking about my light set up; and came to the conclusion that I really need to find a good guide on wiring a High Pressure sodium bulb. Or if one could help I would love a very simple rig with hanging bulbs + sockets. I've included pictures, and can provide very good close ups of the fine print as well as any numbers off of them. I'm just clueless when it comes to this (I actually have a roughish idea, I'd just rather not fuck up).

And when you say black&white polly what exactly do you mean, What isle would I find that in a hardware store (or craft store; surprisingly good for stoner stuff)?

--------------------
In order to grow good weed you need to be part carpenter, electrician, plumber, biologist, geneticist, chemist, and very willing to get dirty.

I've been working with power tools since I was 8, my dad is an electrical engineer who owned a 280 gal fish tank, and I studied biology with a specialty in genetics. Getting dirty comes naturally. I think my parents inadvertently trained me to be a weed grower.

OfflineDimo114
Ranger
Male User Gallery

#591421 - 10/10/11 10:11 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Wait 6ft high, 8ft wide?
If your closet is 1.5x8ft (12sq ft) then you ether need to section it (keep the other half for that terrarium;) ) or you wont have enough light coverage in some places. All you really need to divide your closet is a stapler and reflective material. Black & white polly is basically like panda film; black on one side, white on the other. It reflects light very well with no hot spots and is pretty thick.
For every sq ft of space you want to have 50+watts of hid light. Those two 150watters would be PERFECT for half of the closet...now that I think about it, you might as well have plants vegging in one half of your closet and flowering in the other since you got the lights for it. The only problem is that the flowering half would have to be sealed off.

50watt is recommended, but I bed you can grow SOMETHING with less then that. If you are growing to learn more then to smoke you should be fine, but if you want some dense frosty nugs you need lots of light.

Offlinewire5
Awesome Possum

#591433 - 10/10/11 11:02 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, 8 foot wide includes those inditions (where my terrerium is), however I was probably not going to use that space. I have a feeling it would just be too hard to worth with any plants that far back. I know my lights are too small for my space thats why I intend to get a bunch of very high powered CFL's. Also I discovered 100 watt bulbs at home depot. So if I figure out the wiring thing I think I might invest in another bulb set up. But first I gotta figure out how the hell I'm going to wire this.

That incubator can (and probably will) move. So sectioning it off isn't necassary, apart from decreasing the space I have. And I was honestly thinking straight from the incubator at 6-12 inches and into the flowering chamber.

This time is deffinately about learning. At some point I do intend to make money at it. I also figure if I can get good enough I could also try moving to a green state and try growing for a living :awesomenod:. But that is latter on down the road.

--------------------

Offlinewire5
Awesome Possum

#591440 - 10/10/11 12:43 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Did some measuring. The grow space will be 7.5 square feet, which is 40 watts per square foot for nothing but HID. So far I've got 8 good looking plants. Thats just over 1 plant per square foot (Which is what you should strive for in a scrog, GO ME!!!!)

--------------------

Offlinewire5
Awesome Possum

#591538 - 10/11/11 12:15 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Go me!!! So I figured out the ballast+Wiring situation. it kept throwing me off because the ballast was 3 wires shy. Until I dsicovered that it is igniter-less. And unless I can wire 2 lights on one ballast (can I? I doubt it.) than I'm probably going to need to buy another ballast kit. Looks to be 40-80 dollars. Any recomendations on getting one of these? Could I get more bang for my buck if I spent my money else where?

I'm going to nix those two middle ballasts, I finally figured out they were for flourecent tubes.

But at least I know I'm 1 mogul socket, and 1 power cord away from having at least ONE high pressure sodium light running.

--------------------

Edited by wire5 (10/11/11 01:51 AM)

Offlinemagick81
Padawan grower
Male User Gallery

Loc: Narnia Flag
    #591569 - 10/11/11 07:22 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Looks like your off to a good start :smile:

I'm in the same boat as you, couldn't wait so I popped my seeds before the room was ready, lol

I'll be watching your thead. GL with the grow matey :wink:

--------------------
In the human brain, the hypothalamus controls the four f's:
1. Fighting 2. Fleeing 3. Feeding and ...4. Mating

My Current Grow. Killing Fields & Heavy Duty Fruity!!!
My Grow Journal. First Grow EVER!!!!

OfflineDimo114
Ranger
Male User Gallery

Re: First time grow with bag seeds under CFL and HPS [Re: magick81]
    #591623 - 10/11/11 11:49 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

U can get a full 400watt system for 120 at htg. Im sure they have a ballast for dirt cheap too. look for htg ballasts though, theyre the cheapest

Offlinemagick81
Padawan grower
Male User Gallery

#591677 - 10/11/11 07:54 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

true, paid 110 for my 400w lighting kit incl. shipping

--------------------

Offlinewire5
Awesome Possum

#591700 - 10/11/11 11:30 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks I really appreciate the attention man. Watching your grow too. How goes your grow room construction by the by?

I would do that but I'm just not sure I can drop that cash. Trying to do small purchases over time. Maybe if my taxes get adjust.... I have highly considered just getting a 400 watt ballast kit from HTG (I'd have to order, there isn't one around me) for the same price (and run my 150 off it for the time being) as my hydro store charges for a 150 ballast  :laugh2:  :laugh2: . Or I might just buy the cheaper 150 watt ballast and spending the money else where.

Would B+W poly be good for making a ghetto hood, or do I have to worry about it melting and catching fire?

Also, my stronger healthier plants have their second leaves coming in!!!!! Pictures to come.

--------------------

Offlinemagick81
Padawan grower
Male User Gallery

#591705 - 10/12/11 12:19 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

wire5 said:
Thanks I really appreciate the attention man. Watching your grow too. How goes your grow room construction by the by?

I trashed the idea of using the wardrobe, too much work, lol, kinda disappointed after I masacred the shelf in that wardrobe, lol
Picking up a 4x4x7 tent on Friday and gonna setup in there instead

As for your question on the b/w poly, I don't know.
Sorry, hopefully some more experienced grower can chime in..

--------------------

Edited by magick81 (10/12/11 12:21 AM)

Offlinewire5
Awesome Possum

#591706 - 10/12/11 12:45 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Good deal. I originally drew up a sick tent design. I scrapped it because it was too much work compared to my closet.

The person who gave me the lights is on a mission to find the cheapest 150 watt ballast he can; as well as a 5kv mogul socket and some 14 gauge wire with plug and ground. Thank god wiring is in my blood, my dad is an electrical engineer for the national lab LOL. and a 4x4 space? Not bad. I can get close if I utilize my whole closet...

--------------------

OfflineDimo114
Ranger
Male User Gallery

#591733 - 10/12/11 08:48 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Im pretty sure polly would melt on contact w/ an hps. If worst comes to worst I would staple a "ceiling" of it right over your light. Theres some good diy ideas for making a cool tube, which is what I would go for. Any small fan could be turned in an inline fan w/ correct gorilla tape use lol...especially if you re an electrician.

If u dont mind, I have a noob question about shrooms: I have a pf cake that just wont pin. I birthed it and another cake at the same time to the same fc (dunked and rolled together too) and the other one just finished its 1st flush. There are spots of white colonizing the verm but thats it. Do I have bacterial contamination?

Offlinewire5
Awesome Possum

#591740 - 10/12/11 09:17 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I've had this happen once before (it was a bag of WBS though). How many days since birth? Whats your FC temp+humidity read outs? A bacterial comtam is usually fairly noticable, causing a pungent smell as well as slimey spots.

I'm not sure why it did it on my bag either, I fixed it by increasing temp a little and giving it some more time. I'm currently working on colonizing a 7lb straw logg :awesomenod:

--------------------

Offlinephrostbyte
Hydro Grower

#591748 - 10/12/11 09:36 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Dimo114 said:
If u dont mind, I have a noob question about shrooms: I have a pf cake that just wont pin. I birthed it and another cake at the same time to the same fc (dunked and rolled together too) and the other one just finished its 1st flush. There are spots of white colonizing the verm but thats it. Do I have bacterial contamination?

Sounds like temp or humidity or a combination of both are too low.

Offlinewire5
Awesome Possum

Re: First time grow with bag seeds under CFL and HPS [Re: phrostbyte]
    #591762 - 10/12/11 11:28 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

DAY 5

(this ones soil didn't get switched over, I didn't want to damage it and it was stubborn)

(this one and one I knocked a lamp into before it had sprouted are the only unhealthy looking ones)

Added some aluminum to the back side of my chamber, hope it helps

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate