Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejboogz
Wizard

So this is my first post over here...
    #592371 - 10/16/11 08:00 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Ill try to make this into a grow log eventually then...

Aright, shrooms have been nice to me, but i missed the sound of my drip system and the beautiful light emitted by my 10000lumen 2ft-2lamp fluoros. I missed the love my nirvana plants used to give me when i'd run my hands through their hair.....

So I found my old stash of seeds and popped 4.

I dont know what kind of seeds they are nor whether i got them from trades with other growers when i gave away my equipment or purchased them.

But 4 (out of 5) have popped and I am off to the races.

I just built my Growbox frame with about $14 worth of PVC 3/4" piping and connectors..

Only bum deal I got was they didnt have the 3way connectors for the corners so i had to improvise with 3/4" slip tees and 1"-3/4" elbows....

So whereas on paper my dimensions were 3' x 2.5' (30in)x 4'
I actually end up with about 2" extra on each corner in the 3' direction so its more like
40" x 30" x 48"

Now today, I need to find a covering for the frame. I have a tarp that can cover it, but I need clips ($0.20) and maybe a zipper ($1).

I dont remember mylar being this expensive last year HA

I need to decide on a light

10000 lumen fluoro $80 again...no

20000 lumen fluoro $150.... maybe

250W hps/400W hps = 33000/55000 lumens $117/119

I want that damn HPS although it means i would have to invest in cooling equipment as well...

Ill probably also go with the 250 for the sake of power consumption.

That Fluoro is only 2ft with 4 bulbs spitting out 20000 lumens, a beast for sure, but i get 13000 extra lumens for less and can spend the difference on cooling fans.

Whatever, so this is my first post in the Growery. I left cannabis.com and went to the shroomery, now I have both communities in one place, How Fucking Dope is That???

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinewire5
Awesome Possum

Loc: "The sticks"
Re: So this is my first post over here... [Re: jboogz]
    #592385 - 10/16/11 10:23 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I wouldn't worry about power consumption so much. A 400 watt bulb is about like a coffee machine, at 10 cents a kilowatt than it'll only be about 4.50.

Deffinately go with the HPS

Welcome to the growery.

--------------------
In order to grow good weed you need to be part carpenter, electrician, plumber, biologist, geneticist, chemist, and very willing to get dirty.

I've been working with power tools since I was 8, my dad is an electrical engineer who owned a 280 gal fish tank, and I studied biology with a specialty in genetics. Getting dirty comes naturally. I think my parents inadvertently trained me to be a weed grower.

See what you think on my first try.

Offlinejboogz
Wizard

Re: So this is my first post over here... [Re: wire5]
    #592724 - 10/18/11 08:14 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I appreciate the Welcome.

Here are my four yungins. Clockwise from top left; Eliza, Nenny, Maya, Alexis

I havent had the time to cover the grow frame yet, but i will definitely finish it up within the week.

Looking for my light I found a super deal at HTG supply. I bought my fluorescent light and other supplies from there before.

Compared to Individual sellers and other retail locations, their ballast kits are ridiculously cheap so I will nab one for myself. I figure i will either customize an enclosure or by one of those $25 bay lights and swap the old innards for the new, extend the socket and voila....a light for under $100

Ive also sketched another Hydro setup, since i have a couple extra buckets from pasteurizing substrate, some left over pvc from the tent frame and some experience Ha...

Simple pvc micro sprinkler system on a pump, but that is all for later since i would still need to purchase an air pump, water pump, 1/4 " tubing, mister heads, hydroton, netcups, etc.....but I want it for Eliza and maybe alexis.

Im thinking of throwing the little ones in here with these guys for a while

Since they produce Carbon dioxide as a byproduct....we shall see

--------------------

Offlinejboogz
Wizard

#592922 - 10/19/11 11:04 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

So I found these warehouse lights 400w metal halide with reflector and bulb for $10...

Ha! Perrin Aybara is gonna find out tomorrow if they are multi tap, and he might buy one and customize it if all appears well. Then he will just need to buy an HPS conversion bulb for flower and voila! Magic

Its about time tho, Maya is starting on her second set of true leaves...Perrin needs his light

--------------------

Offlinewire5
Awesome Possum

Loc: "The sticks"
    #592933 - 10/19/11 11:21 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Looks like you got a plan man; I'd get a mod to move this over to grow logs if I were you.

I think I might get a multi tap 150watt HPS ballast (I'm not vegging long CFL"s work fine) and pick up some more bulbs from the home "de" pot (it meets all your budget stoner needs and then some).

--------------------
In order to grow good weed you need to be part carpenter, electrician, plumber, biologist, geneticist, chemist, and very willing to get dirty.

I've been working with power tools since I was 8, my dad is an electrical engineer who owned a 280 gal fish tank, and I studied biology with a specialty in genetics. Getting dirty comes naturally. I think my parents inadvertently trained me to be a weed grower.

See what you think on my first try.

Offlinejboogz
Wizard

Re: So this is my first post over here... [Re: wire5]
    #592957 - 10/20/11 12:32 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

So I ran into someone who is willing to sell a 400w MH light, a 400w HPS light, these come with bulbs and hoods + 10 extra bulbs and an inline fan.....for $85.

Are you f^^^ing kidding me?

Am I crazy to still be thinking about the $10 400w warehouse MH and how much i could do with the $75 difference?????

--------------------

Edited by jboogz (10/20/11 12:39 AM)

InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

Loc: Devils Marbles Flag
    #592958 - 10/20/11 12:40 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

If somebody offered that to you then its either busted or he's crazy. Flick the switch, if it turns on then buy them both

--------------------

Offlinejboogz
Wizard

Re: So this is my first post over here... [Re: T-Rex]
    #592960 - 10/20/11 12:58 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I agree. We shall see. I really only wanted the fan from him.

--------------------

Offlinejboogz
Wizard

#593069 - 10/20/11 03:48 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

So I ended purchasing 2 400W multitap MH ballasts (bay) with 3 bulbs, for $35. Later on imma get to extending the socket and changing the power cord to 120V, then voila.

alot of freagin voilas. Lets get vegging.

--------------------

Offlinejboogz
Wizard

#593892 - 10/24/11 11:44 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

How long should i let this ballast try to start this lamp before I buy a new bulb? 400 watt metal halide...should it start within seconds or minutes????

--------------------

Offlinejboogz
Wizard

#593900 - 10/24/11 12:41 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

No worries, the bulbs work...someone told me these venture lighting bulbs sometimes dont screw all the way in...they were correct.

Love

--------------------

Offlinejboogz
Wizard

#594107 - 10/25/11 02:08 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, Um, so imma need a new bulb. Question is though, since i have a MH ballast;

Do i go with a regular MH bulb or Go with the HPS conversion bulb?

Im not as concerned with color spectrum as I am with the fact that a conversion bulb will give me up to an extra 11000 lumens over the MH..

and to anyone who has used a conversion bulb, specifically HPS for MH ballasts, does it cause your ballast to run "hotter"?

Thanks.

--------------------

Offlinejboogz
Wizard

#594224 - 10/26/11 01:30 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

So here is an update on my 4 babies....only 4 for now. Im waiting on these auto Northern lights.
I only got the autos so i dont disturb my 4 babies photoperiod...

--------------------

Offlinejboogz
Wizard

#595089 - 11/01/11 07:31 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

So here is an update of my 4 lovers Eliza, Nenny, Maya and Alexis....their at 16/17 days from seed:

Eliza - she got hurt by one of the bulbs resting on her while i was away... :facepalm3:

Nenny - shortest of them all, but thats cool, I like short women

Maya - She tricked me into believing she was sexing early. I thought she might have been one of the short riders i mislabeled from an earlier grow...

Alexis - she is bushy and wide...but i like hips and hair as long as she's clean :wink:

All four under a 65watt 4200 lumen CFL

Update...so in my seed stash i remembered that i had 5 fem white widow and 3 short riders, but i didnt know which were which...sooooooo im germinating 4 other seeds (i has to be some bagseed cuz i dont think i had any bubblicious left....did I ???)

Ill also be popping a couple of the nl autos when they arrive....
Hopefully one of these IS a white widow fem and i can start a mother and get into perpetual harvest .....

Oh yeah...after having issues with these failed MH bulbs i decided to wait on the conversion hps for more lumens and flwr spectrum...

love

--------------------

Offlinejboogz
Wizard

#595278 - 11/02/11 03:34 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Looks like all 4 seeds popped...throwing them in solos

--------------------

Offlinejboogz
Wizard

#596495 - 11/10/11 07:47 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Been a while eh.... Day 25 from bust.

So it seems as though I may have 2 sativa dominant and 2 indica dominant plants based on pheno traits but hey.....

Maya - I think she is sativa. Sharp edged, thin fan leaf. Growing tall, I suppose, at 8" or so...

Alexis - Her nodes are so tight about 1/2in. Her leaves are broad, but she hasnt grown a lick in the past week. She is a healthy 5-6" tall

Nenny - She has tight nodes as well and wide leaves. She is just as tall as alexis at 5-6"

Eliza - Thats my baby. She is 8-9" tall with huge superserrated thin leaves. She smells like she is fruiting. Caught me off guard, I smelled herb all over the house, but found it was only her stem stinking up the joint.

Kind of trippy, the 2 broad leaf plants (Alexis and Nenny)  have no smell when I touch their stems however, the two serrated thin leaf plants smell like Im going to have one hell of a harvest when i touch them.

oh yeah this is the conversion bulb i got for 20 bucks + 6 bucks tax

It works like a charm on my 400Wmh ballast - no problem.

I still have my 4 seedlings, which need to be transplanted. And I am hoping these autos pop soon so i can do it all at once (transplant and reuse peat pellet dome)

I also have 6 cherry tomato seed that popped and are growing fast. It would be wonderful to pick some bud and fruit from the same garden :wink: :dancer:  :rockon:

Thats it for now. Im putting all 4 in flower in 5 days. I will update about Northern lights autos when they bust.

also, in case you are wondering "what training methods is he gonna use?"
None.

Im growing these 4 straight up and taking clones from the girls. Hopefully those girls are White Widows. Then im lookin into refining my methods for perpetual harvest.

--------------------

Offlinejboogz
Wizard

#596694 - 11/12/11 11:33 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I know i updated already, but i want to show the stretch and blah blah so anywho...

Eliza - 10"

Nenny - 7" Remember I had began training on her, but i lifted the tie...

Alexis - 5-6"

Maya - 9-10"

New girls...just taken out of dome and placed in solos with a perlite/verm mix
the mix had a little cow manure compost in it, but not enough to make a difference...

Cherry Tomato seedlings in peat pellets and the other 3 peat pellets have the Northern Lights Autos (they just popped this morning)

YOU KNOW WHAT REALLY GRINDS MY GEARS....WHEN I GOT MY SEEDS THERE WERE ONLY 2 STRAINS NL AUTOS AND SHORT RIDER....THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN JOCK HORROR AUTO FEMS SHOWED UP WTF!?!?! I WOULD HAVE LOVED TO TRY SOME JOCK HORROR AUTOS

--------------------

Offlinejboogz
Wizard

#596874 - 11/14/11 07:21 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Yep so today, Eliza and Maya have hit 12.5 inches...

therefore, today begins the interim before i switch to 12s

Is it wrong for me to be excited about these Northern Lights autos?? I mean, they cant be cloned, they wont produce much, and even if they did, 2-2 1/2 months from now when they're done, so will my other beauties be done or finishing up...???

Im still excited tho :grin::rockon:

So here is to the beginning of a wonderful flowering period, good sexing, and apprentice clones...this is to executing plans :bigblunt:

--------------------

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
    #596879 - 11/14/11 08:38 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Sounds like you timed it really well for those autos to be finishing up too :vaped:

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

Offlinejboogz
Wizard

Re: So this is my first post over here... [Re: RasJeph]
    #596882 - 11/14/11 08:57 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

The truth is, it's miscalculated timing. I wanted the autos done at least a month before the others so i could smoke some Northern lights while harvesting...but oh well

Now I have 4 going into flower

4 vegging

and 3 autos.

Patience.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds