Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US Flag
Technical question regarding light spectra.
    #594253 - 10/26/11 06:20 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I am attempting to delve once again into the not-so-official research topic of mine regarding grow lights; however, I am having difficulty with these "spectral output performance curves" as I will dub them since I don't know the official term.

What I'm speaking of are those curves that are on a lot of the HID bulb boxes that show some sort of "relative energy" as a function of wavelength.

What does this actually show? Or, I suppose a better question would be: WTF does relative energy mean in layman terms?

Thanks in advance ^_^

--------------------
“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you” -NDT

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinewire5
Awesome Possum

Loc: "The sticks"
Re: Technical question regarding light spectra. [Re: Data]
    #594333 - 10/26/11 11:59 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Basically it tells you what color your lightbulb will make.

It shows how much output each color will be.

So if there is a really high peak in the 2700-3000K range thats going to be really red and orange. Where as if you have something in the 3800-4000 range thats going to be blue.

For growing MJ (to my knowledge) these are the only two that matter that much.

Blue for veg red for bud.

--------------------
In order to grow good weed you need to be part carpenter, electrician, plumber, biologist, geneticist, chemist, and very willing to get dirty.

I've been working with power tools since I was 8, my dad is an electrical engineer who owned a 280 gal fish tank, and I studied biology with a specialty in genetics. Getting dirty comes naturally. I think my parents inadvertently trained me to be a weed grower.

See what you think on my first try.

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Re: Technical question regarding light spectra. [Re: wire5]
    #594350 - 10/27/11 05:10 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Yea I understand that, but thats not quite what im looking for. What I am asking is how did they measure this? what exactly does this stand for, like is this relative energy something like for every joule of visible light energy emitted, this is the percentage of that light that shall be ______ wavelength? I have read up on photosynthetically active light and whatnot, and I know that these charts offer a basic visual representation of what colors a bulb favors, but i guess what im going for is can any useful information be gleaned off of this other than "oh this bulb puts out a lot of red light".

thanks in advance

--------------------

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Loc: PNW
Re: Technical question regarding light spectra. [Re: Data]
    #594381 - 10/27/11 12:10 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Offlinewire5
Awesome Possum

Loc: "The sticks"
Re: Technical question regarding light spectra. [Re: DungenessDank]
    #594386 - 10/27/11 01:01 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Nope not really. A lot of that is put on their for very special applications. Things like photography, reef aquariums, and growing mj. They expect you to know which spectrum you're going to be using and look for that one.

Honestly beyond "It makes red light" there really isn't going to be that much else that will be helpful. If I'm not mistaken you CAN do some math to figure out how much heat it outputs... But good luck with that. Thermodynamics is a bitch, my grandfather teaches the course. Though honestly with this I couldn't even tell you where to start.

Just saw the link almost forgot about that. You can figure out the types of chlorophyll and what spectrums they are under and match your lights to that. But again, Have fun.

--------------------
In order to grow good weed you need to be part carpenter, electrician, plumber, biologist, geneticist, chemist, and very willing to get dirty.

I've been working with power tools since I was 8, my dad is an electrical engineer who owned a 280 gal fish tank, and I studied biology with a specialty in genetics. Getting dirty comes naturally. I think my parents inadvertently trained me to be a weed grower.

See what you think on my first try.

Edited by wire5 (10/27/11 01:05 PM)

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Re: Technical question regarding light spectra. [Re: wire5]
    #594416 - 10/27/11 04:01 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I happen to be a mechanical engineer, and I was taught thermodynamics by a red-face old man that kicked my ass but taught me thermo pretty well.

I will do some research/thinking and will report back once (if is probably the better word here) I figure something out, until then feel free to post thoughts...I love a getting a think tank thread started, good for the neurons ^_^

thanks for the help DD and wire5...I'll let ya know what I find and where I'm going with this question soon enough.

peace

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds