Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Trusted Cultivator
Re: First time grow with bag seeds under CFL and HPS [Re: wire5]
    #592009 - 10/13/11 01:17 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

i'm gonna keep an eye on this.  good luck!

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinealjeezzy
killa
 User Gallery

Loc: east 10
Re: First time grow with bag seeds under CFL and HPS [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #592075 - 10/13/11 07:15 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

don't cook um

OfflineDimo114
Ranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: White House
Re: First time grow with bag seeds under CFL and HPS [Re: aljeezzy] * 2
    #592085 - 10/13/11 08:28 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I think you shouldnt use see through cups

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: First time grow with bag seeds under CFL and HPS [Re: Dimo114]
    #592088 - 10/13/11 09:25 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

good point.  better wrap them up or something.

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Offlinewire5
Awesome Possum

Loc: "The sticks"
    #592096 - 10/13/11 10:43 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

FurrowedBrow said:
i'm gonna keep an eye on this.  good luck!

Thanks good to know I have a trust cultivator watching me blunder along.  :lol:  :lol:

Quote:

aljeezzy said:
don't cook um

Yeah, I've been leaving it less covered when I'm not around.

Quote:

Dimo114 said:
I think you shouldnt use see through cups

Is colored ok. I have mostly green cups, I have one that is brown and 2 that are clear (though one is 75% label anyway).

--------------------
In order to grow good weed you need to be part carpenter, electrician, plumber, biologist, geneticist, chemist, and very willing to get dirty.

I've been working with power tools since I was 8, my dad is an electrical engineer who owned a 280 gal fish tank, and I studied biology with a specialty in genetics. Getting dirty comes naturally. I think my parents inadvertently trained me to be a weed grower.

See what you think on my first try.

Offlinewire5
Awesome Possum

#592124 - 10/14/11 01:50 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Questions:

Would the weight of a PVC frame + Screen be enough to keep the plants down?

Conversely will I need sticks to hold up my plants, or will the screen be sufficient?

When do you think I should flip (assuming I use 7.5 feet of closet space, if they spill over no bigie), also assuming half are female? 
(side note, if they herm, can you pick the male parts to avoid pollination?)

Lastly, also assuming half are female, whats a realistic goal for dry yield?

Edited by wire5 (10/14/11 01:56 AM)

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #592154 - 10/14/11 11:32 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Questions:

Would the weight of a PVC frame + Screen be enough to keep the plants down?

Conversely will I need sticks to hold up my plants, or will the screen be sufficient?

Are you talking about for a scrog set up?  if so you should tie the plant down to the screen, being careful not to break any stems.  so it's not like it's the weight of the screen or pvc that are holding the plants down.  nothing should be on top of the plants between them and your light source. 

When do you think I should flip (assuming I use 7.5 feet of closet space, if they spill over no bigie), also assuming half are female? 
(side note, if they herm, can you pick the male parts to avoid pollination?)

If you have a herm'd plant you should pick it immediately.  Don't let what happened to me last time happen to you.  I tried to pick off all the pollen sacs i saw and then ended up with a TON of seeds in every plant.  it sucked sooo hard.  The fact is that some stamen (male pollen sacs) are so small and wedged in between calyxs so tightly that it's near impossible to pick them all off.  so imo, better to either cull the plant or move it to another area that wont allow pollen transfer.  i'm not sure what you mean by 'flip'. 

Lastly, also assuming half are female, whats a realistic goal for dry yield?

no idea, we'll find out shortly.  My last grow was 800 watts with 7 plants and i pulled out about 15 ozs, dry.  good luck!

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Offlinewire5
Awesome Possum

#592160 - 10/14/11 12:13 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Yes I intend to do a ScrOG. Tying should be done with plastic twist ties right?

So I don't have to worry about a super vigorous plant moving my screen up if I were to hang it from that bar? Or would I need to tie the screen down or weight it in order to prevent this?

By flip I mean switch it from my 24 hour set up to 12/12. Sorry was really high and kinda drunk when I wrote this.  :beer:  :bonghit:

Would the smoke from a herm be worth making an extra space to continue the flowering? Just a cheap CFL rig if they start to turn of course.

I'd be happy with 3-4 oz, at 5 I would be quite pleased, and anything over 8 I would be ecstatic about  :dancer:  :awedance:  :discodance:.

--------------------
In order to grow good weed you need to be part carpenter, electrician, plumber, biologist, geneticist, chemist, and very willing to get dirty.

I've been working with power tools since I was 8, my dad is an electrical engineer who owned a 280 gal fish tank, and I studied biology with a specialty in genetics. Getting dirty comes naturally. I think my parents inadvertently trained me to be a weed grower.

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #592175 - 10/14/11 02:21 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

oh i see, you might.  a lot of growing is trial and error (when there's room for error! :lol:).  I would do as little as possible until it becomes clear that something else needs to be done.  If the plants do move the screen it'll be small and incremental changes that I doubt would be too big of a problem to correct.  i usually see people letting their plants get to the third node before making the switch to 12hrs.  But it depends on your strains and environment too.  and yeah, twist ties work well. 

Also, don't ask yourself if the smoke from a herm would be worth it.  Ask yourself if having all your hard work gone to waste is worth it.  When a plant goes hermie it diverts its energy and resources into first, making that stamen, then secondly, toward making seeds from the pollen that is received by the calyx's.  So all the energy that the plant could be using to produce more mass and potency is lost.  Plus, if you really want to get nerdy about it, one could argue that we don't need those seeds that are produced put into the world genetic cannabis pool.  they should be eaten or used another way, but definitely not grown, or better yet, avoided all together.  sorry, i'll step off the soapbox now.

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Offlinewire5
Awesome Possum

#592242 - 10/15/11 12:18 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

The smoke really that poor that it isn't worth the energy to do it? I was talking about getting one super sized CFL per hermie; to just let them finish under. I have a spare room I could just throw them in. No biggie.

--------------------

Offlinephrostbyte
Hydro Grower

#592249 - 10/15/11 02:44 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

you could do it.... the smokes fine.  Just a risk of getting seeds in your other plants is what there concerned about.  I would suggest cut off any male parts you see.  Don't let that pollen spread.

OfflineDimo114
Ranger
Male User Gallery

Re: First time grow with bag seeds under CFL and HPS [Re: phrostbyte]
    #592323 - 10/15/11 10:33 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

phrostbyte said:
you could do it.... the smokes fine.  Just a risk of getting seeds in your other plants is what there concerned about.  I would suggest cut off any male parts you see.  Don't let that pollen spread.

No offence, but im pretty sure someone did an expiriment to see if that was possible and failed. I remember he cut off all side branches and pruned the coala every day, but still got seeds.
Theres no way to not let the pollen spread. It's too small to see, and it might pollinate your next grow too.

Offlinewire5
Awesome Possum

#592335 - 10/16/11 01:09 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Day 9

Ok so today was over all successful; though me and my friend ran into a few snags. Unfortunately this means I'll probably just go it alone to the hydroponic store to get Fox Farm, pots, mogul sockets, 12 gauge wire w/ plug, maybe something else that piques my fancy. I did find the place and ironically I have passed it thousands (and I'm almost not kidding) of times before. Even more funny is that every time I saw it I wondered what the hell it was. I thought it was a sun tan place, all the sign says is A.H.G. with 2 palm trees. :laugh2:

(Family portrait, the one on the bottom had a light fall into it before it had sprouted... I don't think it'll make it )

Despite discovering none of the local hardware stores sells either cheap plastic pots, or mogul sockets  :mad2:  (or even the effing cord w/ socket attach) I did however find something. Shultz all purpose. Its a water based fertilizer with 10-15-10 labeled on the front. It was only like 4 bucks after tax so I figured what the hell  :biggrin: . On our way out my friend stumbled upon Alaskan Fish Fertilizer (5-1-1 on the label). SO of course we got some of that.

(Today's haul, the tarp will be my new closet door, and now I can stop shedding in my grow box LOL. )

Than just to bore you I went to a friends birthday party, sat around drank and smoked and cooked dogs and marshmallows on a fire. Picked up and split an 1/8th of some good bud.

(my prime girls[I hope...])

Questions:

Alright, so if I'm not mistaken hermies aren't really that worth trying to save? Are they even worth hanging up to dry and using to make hash? Or should I just cut my loses and work on getting them down the toliete LOL. I got plenty of cardboard boxes and news paper I figured I'd throwem in with.

Seeing as on monday I will have fertilizer with nutrients in them. And I currently have water soluble nutrients when I should I start this regiment for the plants?

(This guy won't leave his furrow in the ground, hope its ok...)

Speaking of things I'm getting from the AHG what sized pots should I get. I was almost thinking 1 gal bags?

(Sorry angle makes the reading off, its 6.5 all the pots are at 6.5-7)

Lastly do you think that tarp will be enough of a light barrier (I will probably put velcro around the edge to help seal it a bit?

Alright, well I hope you enjoyed my official day 9 update. I can't believe its already been 9 days LOL. Until next time  :peace:  :peace:  :peace:  :peace:  :peace:

--------------------

OfflineDimo114
Ranger
Male User Gallery

#592415 - 10/16/11 12:41 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Im confused, is your question about hermies hypothetical? You dont need to dry to make hash, but if a hermie plant already has buds w/ trichs, it probably has mature male flowers (Males mature faster) too

Offlinewire5
Awesome Possum

#592424 - 10/16/11 01:16 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Dimo114 said:
Im confused, is your question about hermies hypothetical? You dont need to dry to make hash, but if a hermie plant already has buds w/ trichs, it probably has mature male flowers (Males mature faster) too

Ok, so I'll probably just see the male parts first than, and have had already cut them down right?

--------------------

OfflineDimo114
Ranger
Male User Gallery

#592437 - 10/16/11 02:21 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

If it is genetically a hermie, yes.
But a female can be stressed into herming(even tho thats not a word lol) any time as I understand.

Offlinemagick81
Padawan grower
Male User Gallery

Loc: Narnia Flag
    #592593 - 10/17/11 07:25 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

How much was your soil master? I've been thinking about getting one myself. Are they any good?

--------------------
In the human brain, the hypothalamus controls the four f's:
1. Fighting 2. Fleeing 3. Feeding and ...4. Mating

My Current Grow. Killing Fields & Heavy Duty Fruity!!!
My Grow Journal. First Grow EVER!!!!

Offlinewire5
Awesome Possum

Re: First time grow with bag seeds under CFL and HPS [Re: magick81]
    #592645 - 10/18/11 12:53 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

It was 10 bucks. I'm not quite sure how much I trust it. It says the top layer of soil is right on and the bottom layer is too alkaline... Sooooo...

Also I went down to the hydroponic store today (and again tomorrow for the lamp asembly, they don't have the pieces). I picked up 9 pots and 5 trays and my Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil. Think I'll transplant them tomorrow when I can get lights going :awesomenod:

--------------------

Offlinemagick81
Padawan grower
Male User Gallery

Loc: Narnia Flag
    #592646 - 10/18/11 12:58 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Lols I might still get one. I really want it for the moisture meter as I still haven't learnt how to tell when my plants get thirsty.
How's the moisture meter perform?
Also, did u get it from eBay? Or hydro shop?

Cheers
MagickZ

--------------------
In the human brain, the hypothalamus controls the four f's:
1. Fighting 2. Fleeing 3. Feeding and ...4. Mating

My Current Grow. Killing Fields & Heavy Duty Fruity!!!
My Grow Journal. First Grow EVER!!!!

Offlinewire5
Awesome Possum

Re: First time grow with bag seeds under CFL and HPS [Re: magick81]
    #592648 - 10/18/11 01:28 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I got mine at a home depot. And as far as using the the moisture metere I dunno never really given it a good test. I just have a schedual. I used the finger method and after that I learned how how fast it would dry. Every third day I start to check. I also noticed that the collective puddle (which has begun to turn to muck  :awedisgust:  ) drys at the same rate as the pots generally LOL.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies