Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Loc: Hawaiian Islands Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Natural Fertilizer & Mineral Sources and Compositions
    #355011 - 01/29/10 05:24 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Manures

source N / P / K comments
Rabbit manure 2.4 / 1.4 / 0.6 Most concentrated of animal manures in fresh form.
Cow manure (dairy) 0.6 / 0.2 / 0.5 Often contains weed seeds, should be hot composted.
Steer manure 0.7 / 0.3 / 0.4 Often contains weed seeds, should be hot composted if fresh.
Chicken manure 1.1 / 0.8 / 0.5 Fast acting, breaks down quickest of all manures.
Use carefully, may burn. Also, stinks like hell - composting definitely recommended.
Horse manure 0.7 / 0.3 / 0.6 Medium breakdown time.
Duck manure 0.6 / 1.4 / 0.5 .
Sheep manure 0.7 / 0.3 / 0.9 .
Worm castings 0.5 / 0.5 / 0.3 50% organic material plus 11 trace minerals. Great for seedlings, will not burn.
Is a form of compost, so doesn't need composting.
Desert Bat Guano 8 /4 /1 Also contains trace elements. Fast-acting, mix in soil or as tea (1 C guano to 5 gal. water).
Cave Bat Guano 3 / 10 / 1 .
Fossilized Seabird Guano 1 /10 /1 Slow release over 3 to 12 weeks, best used as an addition to potting mix.
Peruvian Seabird Guano (pelletized) 12 /12 /2.5 Legendary fertilizer of the Incas. Use in soil as a long lasting fertilizer, or make into tea (1 tsp pellets to 1 gallon water).

Note: it is recommended to first compost any fresh manure before you use it for 2 reasons:
1) to lessen the chance of harmful pathogens.
2) to break down the manure to make it more usable to the plant (and reduce the smell!)
The rates for pig or human manure are not listed because of the high rate of harmful pathogens they contain.

Organic meals

source N /P / K comments
Blood Meal 11/0 /0 Highest N of all organic sources, very fast acting if made into tea.
Bone Meal (steamed) 1/11 /0 Releases nutrients slowly.
Caution: European farmers should not use because of the risk of spreading Mad Cow Disease; growers elsewhere may face the same issue.
Cottonseed Meal 6 /2.5 /1.5 If farming organically, check the source. May be heavily treated with pesticides.
Fish Scrap 5/3/ 3 Use in compost or work in soil several months before using. Usually slightly alkaline.
Fish Emulsion 4 /1/ 1 Also adds 5% sulfur. Good N source for seedlings, won't burn.
Kelp Meal 1 /0.5 /2.5 Provides 60 trace elements, plus growth-promoting hormones and enzymes.
Soybean Meal 7 /0.5 /2.3 .
Coffee Grounds 2 /0.3 /0.2 Highly acidic, best for use in alkaline soils.

Minerals

source N /P / K comments
Greensand 0 /1.5 /7 Mined from old ocean deposits; used as soil conditioner; it holds water and is high in iron, magnesium, and silica - 32 trace minerals in all.
Eggshells 1.2 /0.4 /0.1 Contais calcium plus trace minerals. Dry first, then grind to powder.
Limestone (dolomitic) 0 /0/ 0 Raises pH, 51% calcium and 40% magnesium.
Limestone (calcitic) 0/0/0 Raises pH, 65-80% calcium, 3-15% magnesium.
Crustacean Shells 4.6/3.52/0 Contain large amounts of lime. Should be ground as finely as possible for best results.
Wood Ashes 0 /1.5/7 Very fast acting and highly alkaline (usually used to raise pH). Contains many micronutrients.
Crushed Granite 0 /0/ 5 Contains 67% silicas and 19 trace minerals. Slow release over a long period of time.
Rock Phosphate 0 /3/ 0 Contains 11 trace minerals. Slow release over a long period of time.
Epsom Salts 0 /0/0 Provides Mg and acts as a balancer.

Soil amendments and organic materiall

source N /P/ K comments
Cornstalks 0.75 /0.4 /0.9 Break down slowly; excellent soil conditioner. Should be shredded.
Oak Leaves 0.8/0.35/ 0.15 Break down slowly, shred for best results. Good soil conditioner.
Feathers 15/0 /0 Chop or shred finely for best results.
Hair 14/0 /0 Good soil conditioner, oils break down slowly. Chop or shred finely for best results.

Sources include: Rodale Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening, The Deluxe Marijuana Growers Guide (Frank and Rosenthal)

Organic Fertilizers - Composition

Organic soil composition involves creating a soil medium that has a balanced amount of nutrients - NPK as well as trace elements and minerals - plus organic material that provides food for not only the plant, but also the countless soil microorganisms, fungi, worms, and bacteria that comprise a healthy soil. This soil life breaks down the raw materials of the fertilizers you add so the plants can absorb them, and also plays a part in as-yet undefined processes that aid plant growth and improve soil health.

Below are various "recipes" for both organic fertilizers and organic soil mixes.

Mix and match formulas

Pick one source from each category. The results will vary in composition from 1-2-1 to 4-6-3, but any mixture will provide a balanced supply of nutrients that will be steadily available to plants and encourage soil microorganisms.

Nitrogen
2 parts blood meal
3 parts fish meal

Phosphorus
3 parts bone meal
6 parts rock phosphate or colloidal phosphate

Potassium

1 part kelp meal
6 parts greensand

source: Rodale Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening

More Organic Fertilizer Mixes

2 - 3.5 - 2.5
1 part bone meal
3 parts alfalfa hay
2 parts greensand

2 - 4 - 2
4 parts coffee grounds
1 part bone meal
1 part wood ashes

2 - 4 - 2
1 part leather dust
1 part bone meal
3 parts granite dust

2 - 8 - 2
3 parts greensand
2 parts seaweed
1 part dried blood
2 parts phosphate rock

2 - 13 - 2.5
1 part cottonseed meal
2 parts phosphate rock
2 parts seaweed

3.5 - 5.5 - 3.5
2 parts cottonseed meal
1 part colloidal phosphate
2 parts granite dust

2.5 - 6 - 5
1 part dried blood
1 part phosphate rock
4 parts wood ashes

0 - 5 - 4
1 part phosphate rock
3 parts greensand
2 parts wood ashes

3 - 6 - 3
1 part leather dust
1 part phosphate rock
3 parts seaweed

3 - 7 - 5
1 part dried blood
1 part phosphate rock
3 parts wood ashes

3 - 8 - 5
1 part leather dust
1 part phosphate rock
1 part fish scrap
4 parts wood ashes

2.5 - 2.5 - 4
3 parts granite dust
1 part dried blood
1 part bone meal
5 parts seaweed

4 - 5 - 4                                               
2 parts dried blood
1 part phosphate rock
4 parts wood ashes

6 - 8 - 3
2 parts fish scrap
2 parts dried blood
1 part cottonseed meal
1 part wood ashes
1 part phosphate rock
1 part granite dust

Herbal Tea Plant Food

1 t Comfrey leaves
1 t Alfalfa leaves
1 t Nettle leaves
1 Qt boiling water

Steep for 10 min. and let cool until luke warm. Drain the leaves out and add the luke warm tea to your plants to keep them healthy and vibrant!

The reason for adding slightly warm tea (or water) to your plants is that they will be able to absorb the needed nutrients more easily by keeping the root pores open verses cold tea (or water) will have a tendency to restrict the pores, meaning a much slower process of absorption.

Comfrey is called knitbone or healing herb. It is high in calcium, potassium and phosphorus, and also rich in vitamins A and C. The nutrients present in comfrey actually assist in the healing process since it contains allantoin.
Alfalfa is one of the most powerful nitrogen - fixers of all the legumes. It is strong in iron and is a good source of phosphorus, potassium, magnesium and trace minerals.
Nettles are helpful to stimulate fermentation in compost or manure piles and this helps to break down other organic materials in your planting soil. The plant is said to contail carbonic acid and ammonia which may be the fermentation factor. Nettles are rich in iron and have as much protein as cottonseed meal.

OP notes:

I reformatted and re posted this from a botanical college website I visited a while back. I forget where it actually came from but a good source of information and figured i would share this before i clean out my pc.

--------------------

:guns: Don't Mistake My Kindness For Weakness :guns:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Natural Fertilizer & Mineral Sources and Compositions [Re: SpaceMonkey]
    #355085 - 01/29/10 08:12 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Very cool man!  Hopefully you run across the source.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #355086 - 01/29/10 08:13 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Cool post lots of info. (Even if the benefits of organics is nothing but a goofy myth.)

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Natural Fertilizer & Mineral Sources and Compositions [Re: Magash]
    #355233 - 01/29/10 11:15 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Oh fuck off Magash!  Stop trolling the organics fanatics! :lol:

Seriously though, I still don't know if I agree with you Magash.  I know you did the blind test and all, but I feel that with an excellent quality organic soil has the potential to maximize terpene production to a greater extent than a hydroponic style medium.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Phish Tour Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Natural Fertilizer & Mineral Sources and Compositions [Re: 81renaissance]
    #355322 - 01/30/10 05:47 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I understand the reasoning and ideology behind organics but I must say that the Blind Taste Test post (I think it's called The Organic Myth) was a real eye-opener (for me anyway). :eek:

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Natural Fertilizer & Mineral Sources and Compositions [Re: 81renaissance]
    #355327 - 01/30/10 07:05 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

If anything the opposite would be true. The plant gets what it needs in higher and more controlled amounts with hydro methods which would allow both faster and more abundant turpin production, but what has already been proven with tons of species of plants is they can't tell the difference between chemical or natural sources of food any better then we can. The taste and quality of the bud is in the genetics and the quality of the grower.

I also have over 20 years of growing with organic soil not to mention countless gardens that I've seen and been a part of. So not to be a asshole here but I'd be willing to bet a pretty large sum of money that the soil I used for growing those buds in the test is gonna be as good if not better then any soil your using.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Loc: Hawaiian Islands Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #355431 - 01/30/10 12:55 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

LOL, I only shared this for a reference fella's.
Not that i am any more an organic gardener then the rest of you. I mainly sngged this up for composting purposes. Magash, you know the soils out here are clumpy and full of volcanic slag. So i have been composting my own garden soil. Things get too expensive out here if ya know what i mean.

Actually now that i think of it, i got this article shortly after a haircut. Had a bunch of hair that i threw out into the compost pile and was curious of the nutritional info on it. and came across this. Ended up saving it to my harddrive cause it had a bunch more breakdowns then just hair!:shrug:

--------------------

:guns: Don't Mistake My Kindness For Weakness :guns:

OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery

#355593 - 01/30/10 05:19 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

So in an effort to try to complicate things and better understand;

Is there any kind of formula that can be used to determine the ideal NPK of your soil?

Are there hard numbers out there that suggest your soil should contain say .05/.02/.05 (hypothetical) per volume?

For instance,  Can I add up all my random nutrients, start with fresh inert soiless medium, divide by volume, and determine the exact NPK of my soil?

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #356119 - 01/31/10 07:27 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

SpaceMonkey said:
LOL, I only shared this for a reference fella's.
Not that i am any more an organic gardener then the rest of you. I mainly sngged this up for composting purposes. Magash, you know the soils out here are clumpy and full of volcanic slag. So i have been composting my own garden soil. Things get too expensive out here if ya know what i mean.

Actually now that i think of it, i got this article shortly after a haircut. Had a bunch of hair that i threw out into the compost pile and was curious of the nutritional info on it. and came across this. Ended up saving it to my harddrive cause it had a bunch more breakdowns then just hair!:shrug:

Well don't get me wrong I'm not anti organic by any means. The plants take it in and yields aren't any better with either method. Just when people claim they can tell the difference in taste and how the quality is so different and the only way anybody is gonna tell a difference is if the product is improperly grown or unflushed.

--------------------

OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
    #356337 - 02/01/10 07:41 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
Well don't get me wrong I'm not anti organic by any means. The plants take it in and yields aren't any better with either method. Just when people claim they can tell the difference in taste and how the quality is so different and the only way anybody is gonna tell a difference is if the product is improperly grown or unflushed.

Magash,
    Organics for me is more about what I am putting into my lungs. Maybe there is no truth to it,  but I feel that there may be some long term side affects to smoking cannabis grown with man made chemicals. Who is to say that after flushing your plant there isn't still enough chemicals in there to harm you?  Just because you can't taste it doesn't mean it isn't there.  :shrug: (Again this is just a thought) A lot of these nute lines haven't been around long enough for us to see the long term side affects. I don't dispute your statement that taste/quality does not differ. I worked in the medical field for a quite a while and I have seen people that have been on medications for upwards of 15 to 20 years before unknown side affects emerged that were detrimental to their health.

I know pharmaceuticals are a different ball game all together, but it did make me think a lot differently about the natural medicine that I have been taking for the past 15 yrs.

Do you agree/disagree?

Edit: apparently this post was not response worthy....oh well

--------------------
"Marijuana may not be addictive, but growing it is" - ED Rosenthal

Maine Caregiver In 100% compliance with Maine state laws.

Edited by Farmer Joe (02/08/10 01:16 PM)

OfflineKing Koopa
Natty
 User Gallery

#584441 - 09/07/11 05:53 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

How do i source then in MLA format?:awesome:

--------------------
Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism.

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions. A.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds