Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePsuper
حشيش حشّاشين
 User Gallery

Loc: Left Coast
6 Brand FILTER BAG Review (With Lots of Pics!)
    #564076 - 06/13/11 01:53 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

IN VERTICAL SPACE: The Filter Bag Review.

This is a unique, first-hand review of multi-stage liquid filtration bags (ice hash bags!) from six (6) different manufacturers.  I have hands-on experience with two brands and four other companies very generously sent out sets of their filter bags for this no-strings-attached online review.

This thread is an attempt to convey my impressions in an unbiased  manner; an attempt to objectively determine and present outstanding features or outstanding flaws of various bags.  Now, that being said, it shouldn't surprise anyone that I didn't get any low-quality bags sent to me for review.  All six brands included here have strong mesh (thicker monofilament thread diameter = stronger mesh) sewn into them, great customer service, and could replace a defective/flawed bag should you receive one (this is not as uncommon as some think!).  It's a load off your mind to go with a reputable vendor that stands behind their product.

Different bags have different features; the price may not be the determing factor if you want something specific.  Only bags falling inside of a "high-end" price range are going to have thick fabric with metal eyelets, for instance, or reinforced handles.

A bags fabric can be soft or it can be rigid-- Perhaps one suits your purposes better. Often bags are nylon fabric which is plastic-coated on the inside.  But some rigid-walled bags are coated on the inside and out.  Easy way to look at this is using these categories: soft, medium, or rigid fabric; that fabric is often nylon but some bags are covered totally in a plastic coating instead of just on the inside.

The mesh filter on the bottom of the bag can be sewn into the bag in a "standard" style (sewn flat on bottom) or "side-walled" (extending a little up a bags' side).  Some sets (including two in this review) use side-walled bags only for the final bag in the set you're using, so you get both styles in a single set. 

A huge thank-you to the individuals and companies that contributed bag sets for this review!

THE REVIEWS

ICE-O-LATOR BAGS

The original commercially available ice hash bags. Top-quality, soft and pliable bags.  Beautiful fabric that holds the proper shape in the right bucket.

The 20 liter/ 5 gallon sized Ice-O-Lator, available in up to a 7-bag set, is offered in eight different micron (μm) sizes:

220µm
185µm (size is unique to this company)
120µm
90µm
70µm
45µm
38µm (size is unique to this company)
25µm

I was impressed first with the looks and also with the top quality mesh in the set I received, especially the mesh in the 220 bag.  Iam told that the most popular set of Ice-O-Lators is the 3-bag, 220-70-38 set.  But you can also ask for custom sets when ordering. Iam a fan of having soft bags as an option, and a huge fan of these bags; a unique product and two unique filter sizes.

Most of the available sizes are a "standard" build, with the mesh filter only on the bottom, but the smallest sizes have a side-wall mesh.

Besides offering a whole bunch of other products, the Pollinator website is a wealth of information(!), certainly worth reading.  The company's owner, Mila, is a literal pioneer in the field and does a lot to expand hash making knowledge, and really, who doesn't want an original Pollinator in their lives?

Ready to have your plastic bucket world blown apart? Okay....these folks have even made Ice-o-lators to fit a small kiddy pool with a diameter of 2.5 meter (8.2 ft).

NEATO EZ-FLOW BAGS

WestCoastGrowers is a California based hydroponics store that has created it's own line of post-harvest products, which includes NEATO EZ-Flow Bags (w/ sidewalls) and the original NEATO Bags (w/o sidewalls).  Rigid nylon and sturdy walled bags with reinforced stitching all over; these bags are built like a parachute harness, you could entrust your life to the bags' fabric if it ever comes to that; could probably get a NASA endorsement if they asked.  The 25 micron bag has metal eyelets and these guys even make their own hanging straps.

220µm
170µm (size is unique to this brand)
160µm
120µm
90µm
73µm
45µm
25µm

Neato Bags are a few dollars cheaper than some other high-end quality bags and can also be purchased with a hand-press for a little more off if you're in the market.

The seam around the side-walled bags is muck thicker fabric than different brands.  I thought at first maybe it was a little too thick, but when placed in a bucket it holds the bags shape perfectly.  The whole bag fits perfectly in a bucket, it's even a little surprising how well thick bags like this can hold the right shape once in a bucket of the right size.

WestCoastGrowers is way knowledgable and super-helpful; made sure I had there phone number in the first e-mail for any questions.  WCG delivers what they're promising.

Inside of the bag has a very tough coating.

SPRUNG BAGS

Sprung Bags offers up to six different screen sizes in a flexible, medium-rigidity fabric bag.  Not "soft" fabric, but still nice and pliable. 

I received a 6-bag set in the mail and immediately checked out the screens and flipped the bags inside out so I could make a mental list of what sets a "value" set apart from any high-end set I've seen.  I thought perhaps I'd see poor-quality mesh in the bags' screens, or bunched-up fabric in the seams in sets that fall in the low price-range for bags.  Perhaps I would have seen that had any other low-priced filter bags agreed to contribute to this.  But this was not the case with Sprung Bags-- the stitching and filter mesh are of the same quality as flashier sets.

So what's the catch than, you might be wondering?  Why so "cheap"?  Well, in regards to the quality, for what it is, there is no catch.  Frankly, and perhaps like you reading this, I didn't think that could be said for "cheap" sets until I saw these in person.  Here's why there so cheap: there are no "features" to the bags.  No metal eyelets, fancy colors, storage case, super-thick fabric, or spring lock for the cord.  All black bags with all black thread and a nylon cord sewn together in China and sold to you for cheap.

220µm
160µm
110µm (size is unique to this brand)
73µm
45µm
25µm

Honestly, if I had more to pick apart regarding a lack of quality construction for these bags I would list the deatails here, but I don't...There are indeed low-priced sets out there with lower-quality mesh and poor quality manufacturing, so buyer beware....But I did not see that with this brand.  Legitimet. 

KOOTENAY BUBBLE REFINERY (KBR BAGS)

Manufactured in B.C. These are probably the bags I'll pass on to the great-children in a few decades from now.

KBR bags are sterdy, rigid walled and of the "all-coated" style of bags-- plastic-coated on the inside and out.

While trying to remain objective I did find myself anyways expecting a lot from what are probably the most expensive filter bags on the market.  When I finally got my hands on Kootenay Bubble's 2 bag set I was genuinely impressed despite having built up my expectations.  Very rigid bags offered only in a 2 bag set. 

Describing these as thoughtfuly made wouldn't cover this- every detail of the bags is high-end quality right down to the thread it's sown together with.

KBR Bags is unique in that they're coming at you with only a two-bag set and in two unique filter sizes .  They tell the consumer flat-out to be innovative and not necessarily use these bags in any particular or specified manner.  Integrate them into a process-- this could mean adding a siphoning step inbetween running and collecting from each bags' screen, for instance.

The two sizes of there filter bags are unique to the company and not offered by other manufacturers:

209µm
33µm

The 33 bag is side-walled while the 209 bag is a standard style.  Though the 33 bag is side-walled, the bag's rigid fabric is still the same length as the standard 209 bag, which I was happy to see as it makes them fit together nicely in a bucket.

The pic below shows the nylon handles which I really liked:

BUBBLEBAGS

The first company to offer up to eight different filter sizes. Based in B.C.  Sturdy, high-thread count nylon walls are pliable without this falling under the description of a "soft" bag.  No side-walled bags necessary, BubbleBags sticks with the standard style of bag constructuon.  Eight micron sizes available in sets or individually:

220µm
190µm
160µm
120µm
90µm
73µm
45µm
25µm

The above pic is actually a thicker fabric brown-colored bag that is no longer available, normal Bubblebags have a more flexible fabric than the one pictured.  Pictures abound on the internets, but this is the only one I personally own.  Same great sewing and smooth seams.

You pay for worry-free everything-- great quality and customer service, even on the phone.  Carefully manufactured in cool colors, these filter bags have very nice stitching and very smooth seams.  Name-brand labels and stylish carrying  bag look great when you're walking down the beach with your new 8-bag set.  The "high-end" bags I've seen even use different thread colors in individual bags to match the respective fabric.  Clear attention paid to quality control with this brand.

BOLDT BAGS

A high-end, rigid-walled bag from the comapny who also made "Trash Bags". Made in Humboldt County Boldt Bags brings it with impressive quality, great look and construction, and strong metal eyelets around the top of the bag. Very thoughtfully made.

I've used these personally as I know a medical-marijuana patient who owns a set and is very happy with it, I was also when I used them.  A local glass shop here even stopped carrying another big-brand of bags in favor of only selling Boldt Bags.  Offered in sets in the following micron sizes:

220µm
190µm
160µm
120µm
90µm
73µm
45µm
25µm

If you want a sturdy-walled bag you won't be dissapoointed with a set of these...This brand is catching on more and more--- seems Iam seeing sets in stores a little cheaper than what is online though.

Edited by Psuper (06/19/11 01:14 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePsuper
حشيش حشّاشين
 User Gallery

Re: 6 Brand FILTER BAG Review (With Lots of Pics!) [Re: Psuper]
    #564077 - 06/13/11 02:06 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

(pressing screens)

NOTES:

1. I didn't include pressing screens as a "feature" because they're usually just 10"-12" squares of mesh without even a sewn border, are often not sold individually and not included with all sets. They're also not necessary to have. AquaLab makes a 24"x24" but I really like the 18"x18" from SprungBags, perfect size.

2. I think a lot of negative reviews of any bags online are simply of defective bags that should have been returned/exchanged.

Also, many online reviews seem to want to compare these bags to items of clothing or designer purses which isn't a compatible standard. A string or two sticking out or some crooked stitching here-and-there is the norm as far as I've seen. Lookout for bunched-up or folded fabric inside of seams. Carefully inspect the seam along the edge of the mesh.

3. All the filter bags in this review use great quality monofilament mesh as their filters! The mesh is the weakest point or easiest point of the bag to damage-- even the bullet-proof sides won't stop you from poking a small hole in the mesh of the work bag.

There are bags with low-quality (thin) mesh, so be weary of what you buy.

4. I don't like all mesh bags, I could have included a review for one of them in here, but I don't have good things to say about any of them so why bother? Sure they'll work, but buy some bio-diesel filtration sacks for a fraction of the cost instead.

5. Wet hashish takes a few days to dry. Place drying product on dry cardboard preferably in an environment with low humidity, very minimum three days. Don't spoil the goods.

?
Anyone have any information they would like me to add to this?

--------------------
Shroomery.org

Edited by Psuper (06/19/11 01:16 AM)

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
    #564086 - 06/13/11 04:47 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Looks good, I might try these...How would you compare like the texture of these compared to the other more expensive brands? That's the only thing I worry about because I feel like the texture could play a role in how efficient it is...I could be wrong and making that up.

If you use it and ever take pictures of the end result that'd be awesome..If not the review was helpful too :thumbup:

--------------------
Suck my balls America

OfflinePsuper
حشيش حشّاشين
 User Gallery

Re: 6 Brand FILTER BAG Review (With Lots of Pics!) [Re: mhbound]
    #564841 - 06/16/11 11:57 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

MHB, are you asking about SprungBags or ??

The inside of all the bags is laminated with some kind of plastic.  What you want to look out for is wadded up or folded fabric in the seams that could catch contams or trichomes.

--------------------
Shroomery.org

OfflinePsuper
حشيش حشّاشين
 User Gallery

Re: 6 Brand FILTER BAG Review (With Lots of Pics!) [Re: Psuper] * 1
    #578516 - 08/15/11 01:39 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

The inventor of the original bags (Ice-O-Lator Bags) and owner of Pollinator Co, Mila, sent me a pic of the largest bag made which, "fits a small kiddy pool with a diameter of 2.5 meters".

I blurred out some faces to be nice.

Big up to Mila for letting me post this picture here!

--------------------
Shroomery.org

Invisibleanonymouse
Stranger

#585389 - 09/11/11 12:06 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I was thinking about getting a set of sprung bags, how long before the plastics start breaking down and it starts showing up in the hash?

OfflinePsuper
حشيش حشّاشين
 User Gallery

Re: 6 Brand FILTER BAG Review (With Lots of Pics!) [Re: anonymouse]
    #585745 - 09/12/11 02:02 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

anonymouse said:
I was thinking about getting a set of sprung bags, how long before the plastics start breaking down and it starts showing up in the hash?

You would have to put these bags through a lot of abuse to have something like that happen.  These would last a long time when used "normally" and without puncturing any filters. 

I personally wouldn't perform any kind of really rough mixing inside a softer fabric walled filter bag of any brand.  If you're looking to be rough on the work bag or worried about using them nonstop maybe one of the thicker-walled brands would suit you better.  I checked to make sure that these sturdier bags (like NEATO and KBR) hold there shape well in the appropriate bucket; though it should be added that the softer-walled bags also hold there shape very well.

Sprungbags are good quality, you'd be happy with your purchase.

--------------------
Shroomery.org

InvisibleP-O

#591758 - 10/12/11 10:20 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Psuper said:
The inventor of the original bags (Ice-O-Lator Bags) and owner of Pollinator Co, Mila, sent me a pic of the largest bag made which, "fits a small kiddy pool with a diameter of 2.5 meters".

I blurred out some faces to be nice.

Big up to Mila for letting me post this picture here!

holy fuck!

That would a nice chunk of hash from that one...

Offlinejhonpaul
Soft Cases, Custom Soft Bags,
Custom Soft Cases, Custom Soft Bags, and Sewn Covers [Re: Psuper]
    #603232 - 12/29/11 12:22 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

South-Pak has in-house production of custom soft cases, pouches, covers, holsters and soft bags made from a variety of high-quality materials to suit your specific needs http://www.south-pak.com/solutions/custom-soft-cases-soft-bags/

OfflinePsuper
حشيش حشّاشين
 User Gallery

Re: Custom Soft Cases, Custom Soft Bags, and Sewn Covers [Re: jhonpaul]
    #603309 - 12/30/11 01:02 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

jhonpaul said:
South-Pak has in-house production of custom soft cases, pouches, covers, holsters and soft bags made from a variety of high-quality materials to suit your specific needs http://www.south-pak.com/solutions/custom-soft-cases-soft-bags/

:spammer:
Hey! No spam in my thread!

--------------------
Shroomery.org

InvisibleP-O

Re: Custom Soft Cases, Custom Soft Bags, and Sewn Covers [Re: Psuper]
    #604643 - 01/09/12 11:58 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Psuper said:
Quote:

jhonpaul said:

:spammer:
Hey! No spam in my thread!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder