Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineOrgoneConclusion
Stranger
LED testers wanted - maybe...
    #573156 - 07/19/11 10:50 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Note: I am jumping the gun here, but I am interviewing with Illumitex early next week about repping the company to the MMJ community. I would like to tell the Sales Manager that I already have people lined up. Illumitex, an American company, is jumping into the horticultural market with both feet. They have already scored a huge contract with the US Agricultural Department and have liasons with top plant physiologists, universities, orchid growers, greenhouses; etc.

Unlike many fly-by-night companies, these guys are here to stay and have invested hundreds of thousands of dollars into horticultural research BEFORE engineering the LEDs.

The LEDs are like nothing else on the market. They have a 50 degree angle with built-in optics; mixed color emitters on the same die with four distinct red/blue ratios to choose from with the peaks at 440nm and 660nm and allegedly have the highest PPFD per watt on the market.

There may be some sort of a deposit/buy-back system for test growers. Specific details on both the offer and the lights to follow next week.

To qualify, I am looking for people that have at least one start-to-finish grow log here or elsewhere. Those with more experience growing and working with LEDs will obviously get preference. Small wattage (250 or less) HID growers will be considered. Legal MMJ growers ONLY! A copy of your certificate and/or license will be mandatory if selected. Duplicate grows rooms/areas obviously must be maintained. Weekly photos along with detailed comments will be required.

Tell me of your interest and the setup and lamp you would be using.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: LED testers wanted - maybe... [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #573184 - 07/19/11 02:12 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Legal MMJ growers ONLY! A copy of your certificate and/or license will be mandatory if selected.

I was really interested until that part there.  I don't need or want such a paper trail.

But I would love to test out their units.
I currently own a 120 watt 4 band with 1 watt chip set.
I'm planning on ordering a couple 360 watt 6 band with 3 watt chip set.  I have a grow log around here somewhere I think, if not there are a ton of pictures of my work.

--------------------
:getstoned:

OfflineOrgoneConclusion
Stranger
Re: LED testers wanted - maybe... [Re: Stoneth]
    #573195 - 07/19/11 03:56 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

There may be a way around it, but I think you can understand that a large American corporation is trying to protect itself in these confusing quasi-legal gray areas.

What I do not get is if you are licensed, there is already a paper trail. What am I missing?

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #573219 - 07/19/11 07:26 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Mainly because of said grey areas.:yesnod:

--------------------
:getstoned:

OfflineOrgoneConclusion
Stranger
Re: LED testers wanted - maybe... [Re: Stoneth]
    #573445 - 07/20/11 07:05 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Or green areas. :yesnod:

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: LED testers wanted - maybe... (moved) [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #573478 - 07/20/11 08:46 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

This thread was moved from Grow Journals.

Reason:
Moved to get more attention!

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #573484 - 07/20/11 09:41 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I'm in the same boat. I have a ton of LED experience (as well as past participation in the design and engineering portion of various LED diodes and arrays) and you of course know my growing credentials. However, I have let my MMJ certification lapse for job reasons and I would not like to renew it. Occasionally just having it around here can disqualify you from employment. If your company is willing to overlook that then I would gladly grow test for them in a 4x4 space.

--------------------

InvisiblePandor

Re: LED testers wanted - maybe... [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #573530 - 07/21/11 06:48 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I'd do it as well. But no papers here either.

OfflineOrgoneConclusion
Stranger
Re: LED testers wanted - maybe... [Re: Pandor]
    #573574 - 07/21/11 11:07 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

The downside, as with all new tech, is the cost. I currently pay about $0.50 per watt for LED emitters for my designs. This does not include case, driver, heatsink, etc. - just the raw LED.

These will be slightly over $2 per watt for the emitter alone. While they look to be clearly superior, the obvious question is will they be worth it? They do not have to be 4 times as good just because they are 4 times as expensive because the cost of the rest of the components needed for making a lamp will be about the same.

Hopefully, increased yield and reduced power bill will more than compensate, but of course, that is what the whole experiment will be about.

OfflineCaptain Caveman
Some Guy

Loc: My Cave
    #573588 - 07/21/11 11:57 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I will test it and I am legal.

--------------------
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, only then will the world know peace. :peace:

OfflineCaptain Caveman
Some Guy

Loc: My Cave
Re: LED testers wanted - maybe... [Re: Captain Caveman]
    #573991 - 07/22/11 10:37 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Nevermind. Test your own damn lights.

--------------------
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, only then will the world know peace. :peace:

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: LED testers wanted - maybe... [Re: Captain Caveman]
    #573995 - 07/22/11 10:53 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

:wtf:

--------------------

OfflineOrgoneConclusion
Stranger
Re: LED testers wanted - maybe... [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #574182 - 07/23/11 04:19 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I should have an answer for y'all on Wednesday. I am going the the LED Show in Vegas on Tuesday. It is not a horticulture show, but will feature new products for general industry coming down the pike.

OfflineOrgoneConclusion
Stranger
    #575090 - 07/28/11 11:26 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I went to the Vegas LED Show yesterday. Cool stuff, but most was industrial lighting and engineering related. Talked to the Sales Manager at Illumitex for about two hours. Alas, no job for me, but their products are bitchin' - so no LED testers. Sorry!

Several things impressed me:

1. They had large LED clusters on magnets that dropped onto a rail with instant electrical hookup. No soldering, no screws or thermal adhesive and idiot-proof as the circuitry allowed for either polarity. Totally brilliant!

2. The convention center was brilliantly lit, but they had a 6W led that shined on the ceiling 30 foot up and was visible and in a perfect square with no washout on the edges. This company is most proud of their optics.

3. The same optics are used in their horticultural lights. LED colors are custom mixed on one die and are blended perfectly leaving the die - not on the source. Use other narrow angle (theirs are 50 degrees) and you will see individual LED patters on a white wall. The edging is unbelievable.

4. They have three standard horticultural red/blue blends plus the ability to customize.

5. Their fully built horticultural luminaries use the supporting rails as the heatsink and are certified waterproof - they can be submerged with no danger of shock or shorting.

6. The drivers are built into the power cord sort of like a walwart so that the extra heat can be kept out of the grow room.

7. The LEDs are amazingly bright. Check out their website and spec sheets for the PPF and umol per meter numbers.

8. A connector is used for the module, so no soldering is necessary.

I think these guys have addressed all of the major shortcomings of LEDs - except for possibly price. As expected with any leading-edge company, the cost for new technology is high. No firm prices at this time, but I believe the 20W modules are $45 a piece.

I may pick up four each of  the 20w 64 LED modules (80W total) to see how they compare to my commercial 120W LED.

To repeat, I am not, nor will I be in the foreseeable future, associated with this company, so this is not spam or hype.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder