Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinealienscience
Farve in training
 User Gallery

Going to be starting a 1000w 4x4 tent grow
    #564548 - 06/15/11 02:40 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I've grown in the past, but never to "full" harvest potential, and I've been smoking for years.  But, I think I'm really going to need some help on this one.

I plan on growing the plants in a SOG style so that their canopies reach at least 5' tall (7' tall tent).  Also, I want a full bush of plants, they will be grown in 10 5-gallon buckets.  I'll have plenty of supplemental lighting (CFLs and LEDs).  Also, I've got a whole set of nutes that I can use.  I'm just going to need a lot of help.  Ideally, I want to harvest 1lb, anyone up for sitting indian style with me and pulling through on this one?

--------------------
Official member of MAPS

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
Re: Going to be starting a 1000w 4x4 tent grow [Re: alienscience]
    #564608 - 06/15/11 11:33 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I'll be watching if you have any questions ask, if I can't help someone else will.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #564623 - 06/15/11 12:47 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

So many people to help here.

Plant that seed.

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever sence.

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: Going to be starting a 1000w 4x4 tent grow [Re: KaptKid]
    #564659 - 06/15/11 04:02 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

I plan on growing the plants in a SOG style so that their canopies reach at least 5' tall (7' tall tent).  Also, I want a full bush of plants, they will be grown in 10 5-gallon buckets

So, I see a couple possible problems here... Have you considered just how many 5 gallon buckets you can actually fit inside a 4x4 tent? I have 5 in mine now, and it's pretty full. Are you gonna have an oscillating fan? if so, that'll take up a lot of room.

Also, you want the canopy to be at 5', but have you considered the higth of your hood? Mine is a good 10-12 inches tall, and then the hangers drop it down even more, making the usable space underneath much less than originally anticipated. Even if you've got your hood directly attached to the ceiling, do you really want your canopy only 12 inches away from the light?

Our 1k watt MH keeps our tent so freakin' hot that we have 5 different fans running almost 24/7! Two window fans in the window next to the tent. The one on the bottom is facing in, and the one on top is facing out. There are tubes connected to the fans with duct tape (ghetto as hell, I know, but it works decently well), and this gives a nice inflow of cool air, and assists the 424 CFM inline fan with expelling the hot air from inside the tent and hood. The hose that lets air in is attached to the back of one of the oscillating fans, and the fan blows the cool air over the canopy (we turn this off at night sometimes, if it's been a cool day). Then there's TWO full size oscillating fans inside the tent, blowing air around. With these, and the mainly moderate temperatures in Seattle, we are able to keep our tent cool.

Last thought: You had mentioned that you want em in 5 gallon buckets, but you haven't mentioned a medium... if you're doing DWC, you'd better tie all those buckets into a main rez, otherwise you're going to have to hire someone on at 20 hours a week just to check the PH and levels in each of them every day! lol and if it's soil, how are you going to check the PH? and flush? do you know how heavy that'll get? you'd have to take out everything just to get at the ladies in the back...

--------------------
My best run so far

Offlinealienscience
Farve in training
 User Gallery

Re: Going to be starting a 1000w 4x4 tent grow [Re: Tank333]
    #564670 - 06/15/11 04:55 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks everyone, I'm weighing out all of my possiblities. As for the fan/vent, I'll be using a 400-500 cfm fan to blow cold air (going to line it to AC vent) over the bulb and up into my attic.  I may not be able to use 10 buckets, but I want to harvest a pound of nice healthy buds.  I will be growing in soil as well.  I've tried the DWC route and it just required too much work.

--------------------
Official member of MAPS

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

#564678 - 06/15/11 05:24 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I hear ya with the too much work with DWC. Once I take a couple runs of clones off these mothers, I'm gonna get rid of them in favor of a single res drip system. I have a friend with one he wants like $80 for, and I think that's worth not having to check and change 5 or 6 different buckets every day!

--------------------
My best run so far

Offlinealienscience
Farve in training
 User Gallery

#564765 - 06/16/11 12:13 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

My biggest problem was root rot =( and just being new overall to hydro.  It's fun though.

--------------------
Official member of MAPS

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
    #564770 - 06/16/11 12:43 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Gotta keep it clean, and aerated well.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

Offlinealienscience
Farve in training
 User Gallery

Re: Going to be starting a 1000w 4x4 tent grow [Re: mhbound]
    #564906 - 06/16/11 04:58 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I'm looking at some ebay grow light packages.  Anyone had any experience with these? 

I have been thinking about my ventilation system and what I think I'm going to do is use a 400cfm (panasonic whisper) connected to an internal carbon filter.  I'll have a Y-adapter between the filter and the light where I line a seperate 115cfm fan drawing air from my ac duct in the floor and blows cool air along with the air from the 400cfm fan.  So I'll have 400cfm of exhaust/blown air and 115cfm of cool air blowing over the bulb and then have one exhaust line coming from my hood into my attic.  I might put that through another carbon filter just to make sure there is no smell at all.  Has anyone had any experience with carbon filters?  Do they work well? 

I'll also have an oscillating fan in the tent with a couple of these

http://cgi.ebay.com/Green-Pad-Co2-Generator-5-Pack-12-x-18-carbon-5-pk-/120727328296?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1be8d628

As of right now, I'm looking at about a $1000 cost for startup.

$100 - 4x4 mylar tent
$350 - 1000w MH/HPS grow light system (ballast, hood, MH bulb, HPS bulb)
$50 - soil
$250 - 400cfm fan
$115 - 115cfm fan (already have)
$115 - 4 LED panels (already have)
$120 - 125w CFL ballast w/ bulb and reflector (already have)
$50 - homeade CFL fixture (already have)
$75 - Technaflora starter kit nutrients (already have)
$20 - Oscillating fan (already have)

I know that totals over $1000, but I already have a lot of the stuff.

Would anyone be willing to help me tweak a soil recipe for the technaflora stuff?

--------------------
Official member of MAPS

Offlinedmtcorey
~The time police~
 User Gallery

#564974 - 06/16/11 09:33 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

in a tent your going to need a cooltube as well for heat issues ,and if you go with more smaller plants ,say 16 you will get a better yield and more harvests a year ,that is something to considder ,my medium is mushroom compost,cow shit mixed 50\50 with promix ,works good and flushes easyer then straight promix ,

--------------------
:whereismiddleman:

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Re: Going to be starting a 1000w 4x4 tent grow [Re: dmtcorey]
    #564988 - 06/16/11 10:19 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

And cheap tents come with light leaks, too... mine glows like the daystar when the lights are off in the living room and the light is on inside it. I'm sure light gets inside it just the same during the dark cycle...

--------------------
My best run so far

Offlinealienscience
Farve in training
 User Gallery

#565002 - 06/17/11 03:10 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Awesome tips.  The package comes with an air-coolable hood.  It's not a tube though, it's one of those pyramid type ones with a removable glass covering.  As for the light leak, I know what you mean, I've had a tent with light leaks before.  But this tent will be in a closet that measures about 5x8, so I should be covered on that end.  I may go the extra yard and just pay for a nicer tent though. 

Tank, you know what you should do to see how much light gets in your tent?  Step inside of it with the lights off and give us a heads up.  It seems kind of odd that they'd make a tent that lets light in.

--------------------
Official member of MAPS

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

#565149 - 06/17/11 04:44 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

How are you going to ventilate the closet? Puttin' some holes in the walls?

--------------------
My best run so far

Offlinealienscience
Farve in training
 User Gallery

#565189 - 06/17/11 07:33 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Lol, yeah.  I might punch a few. 

What I'm really thinking about doing is making one hole to the ceiling to vent the heat and carbong filter exhuast as I already have an AC vent in the floor.  I'll probably close off one some of the vents on the 1st floor to help push more air through.  At the least, even when the AC is off, the 400cfm fan will be blowing cool air as my AC ducting runs underneath my house and it's cool and dark in there.

--------------------
Official member of MAPS

Offlinealienscience
Farve in training
 User Gallery

#567305 - 06/25/11 03:05 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Well, I've decided to do away with the 1000w tent.  Instead, I'm going to be making a frame out of four foot long 2x4.  It's going to be a square frame and I'll have a sheet of drywall on the bottom of it.  I'll then have some ceiling mount light sockets that I'll wire myself.  About 8 sockets total, each with an 85w CFL bulb and a 250 HID in the center of it. I'll be using my entire closet to grow in, and will probably end up running an exhaust line from my scrubber, to my light with a 115cfm fan in between.  Like I said eariler, the closet has an AC vent, so that should keep it cool. 

I've got 20 sprouts in my veg box now under 3 15w LED panels (blue) and a 65w T5.  I've got some more floro tubes I'm thinking about putting in there.  I'd say after about a month, they will have outgrown the LED box, after that I'll put all 20 of them on top of the box and continue to veg for another month.  I'll probably transplant them to their 5 gallon buckets. 

The only problem I may encounter is space.  I've only got a 58"x84" closet, and my box being is in there too.  So I've only got about a 5x5 space to grow with my fixture.  I doubt I'll be able to grow 20 plants in 5-gallon pots in a 5x5 space.  I'm hoping for about 5 to 10 good females to grow under my fixture. 

So what I have planned so far is:

-20 sprouts in LED veg box for 1-month
-20 plants on top of box under 125w CFL for veg 1-month
-this is where I'm having trouble deciding on whether or not to flower, and if I do veg under fixture, whether or not to keep all 20 and determine sex.
-flower under fixture while starting another set of sprouts under LEDs to take out and flower under 125w while the others are flowering

So I'm looking at two full grows, the first being in 3 stages (LED veg, 125w veg, fixture veg/flower).  I'm looking at a 6 month grow cycle for all of my grows too.  I have yet to decide if I'm going to seed.  But I think I will, as this will mostly be a personal stash and I want to save up some seeds to start an outdoor plot for next year.  I also know it takes time for seeds to develop, an extra month or so.

--------------------
Official member of MAPS

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract