Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinechowdan
Stranger
 User Gallery

Chronic Pot Smoking Affects Brain Chemistry, Scans Show
    #563082 - 06/08/11 10:32 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

just read this abnout five minutes ago:

Chronic Pot Smoking Affects Brain Chemistry, Scans Show:

TUESDAY, June 7 (HealthDay News) -- Imaging scans show that chronic daily use of marijuana can have a detrimental effect on the brain, according to a new report.
In the study, researchers revealed that chronic use of the drug caused a decrease in the number of receptors involved in a wide array of important mental and bodily functions, including concentration, movement coordination, pleasure, pain tolerance, memory and appetite.
Marijuana, also known as cannabis, is abused more than any other illegal drug in America, according to the U.S. National Institute on Drug Abuse. When smoked or ingested, the drug's psychoactive chemical binds to numerous cannabinoid receptors in the brain and throughout the body, which influence a range of mental states and actions. One of two known types of cannabinoid receptors, called CB1, is involved primarily in the central nervous system.
In conducting the study, researchers compared the brains of 30 chronic daily marijuana smokers to non-smokers over the course of roughly four weeks. Using molecular imaging, researchers were able to visualize changes in the participants' brains and found the cannabinoid CB1 receptors of the smokers had decreased by roughly 20 percent compared to the otherwise healthy people with limited lifetime exposure to marijuana.
"With this study, we were able to show for the first time that people who abuse cannabis have abnormalities of the cannabinoid receptors in the brain," lead author Dr. Jussi Hirvonen said in a Society of Nuclear Medicine news release.
The researchers re-scanned 14 of the smokers after one month of abstinence and found a notable increase in receptor activity in areas that were deficient at the beginning of the study. These findings, the investigators concluded, suggest the adverse effects of chronic marijuana use are reversible.
"This information may prove critical for the development of novel treatments for cannabis abuse. Furthermore, this research shows that the decreased receptors in people who abuse cannabis return to normal when they stop smoking the drug," Hirvonen added.
The study, which was a collaboration between the U.S. National Institute of Mental Health and U.S. National Institute on Drug Abuse, was slated for presentation Monday at the annual meeting of the Society of Nuclear Medicine in San Antonio, Texas. Because this study was presented at a medical meeting, the data and conclusions should be viewed as preliminary until published in a peer-reviewed journal.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20110608/hl_hsn/chronicpotsmokingaffectsbrainchemistryscansshow;_ylt=Amcq5qTNF8bdUdwU0M3C41us0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTFpa2FlaDIwBHBvcwMzNQRzZWMDYWNjb3JkaW9uX21vc3RfcG9wdWxhcgRzbGsDY2hyb25pY3BvdHNt

--------------------
I am a legal patient in Washington. Everything i do and say on here is for personal gain.

- We live in a free country as long as you can follow the governments laws...-

Edited by chowdan (06/08/11 10:33 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePicklez
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Chronic Pot Smoking Affects Brain Chemistry, Scans Show [Re: chowdan]
    #563093 - 06/08/11 11:11 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

sounds like pretty much common sense stuff. Yes smoking is bad for you. If you stop smoking then your body will recover

InvisibleLaysthepipe
Vivi Sex Symbol
 User Gallery

Loc: KOREA
Re: Chronic Pot Smoking Affects Brain Chemistry, Scans Show [Re: Picklez]
    #563100 - 06/08/11 11:35 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

KillerPicklez said:
sounds like pretty much common sense stuff. Yes smoking is bad for you. If you stop smoking then your body will recover

I heard it's healthy to stay in houses that are on fire full of smoke.

--------------------
:advisory:

“If you want to find out who your real friends are, sink the ship. The first ones to jump aren’t your friends.” — Marilyn Manson

This isn't the correct place to confront me on anything.

Forum full of dead stars, and a necro I called Coma White

OfflinePicklez
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Chronic Pot Smoking Affects Brain Chemistry, Scans Show [Re: Laysthepipe]
    #563102 - 06/08/11 11:38 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

you should try it

:onfire:

InvisibleLaysthepipe
Vivi Sex Symbol
 User Gallery

Re: Chronic Pot Smoking Affects Brain Chemistry, Scans Show [Re: Picklez]
    #563104 - 06/08/11 11:41 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

KillerPicklez said:
you should try it

:onfire:

Only if we can conduct research so we will know it is official.

--------------------

“If you want to find out who your real friends are, sink the ship. The first ones to jump aren’t your friends.” — Marilyn Manson

InvisibleBlueBerry_SwisherS
Heart Slowed

Loc: Raw Headspace Flag
Re: Chronic Pot Smoking Affects Brain Chemistry, Scans Show [Re: Laysthepipe]
    #563158 - 06/09/11 05:39 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

My oldest sister told me today that LSD detatches your brainstem. I was just :eyebrow:

--------------------

Let food be thy medicine

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Re: Chronic Pot Smoking Affects Brain Chemistry, Scans Show [Re: chowdan]
    #563183 - 06/09/11 07:48 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Yep a study performed by the National Institute on Drug Abuse. I'm sure that's nice and unbiased :rolleyes:

99% of their funding is from politicians who want nothing but to prove drugs are bad. If they ever come out with a study that says something is harmless they'll lose their jobs and their families.

--------------------

Invisibledrawde

Re: Chronic Pot Smoking Affects Brain Chemistry, Scans Show [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #563184 - 06/09/11 07:52 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I can't speak to the legimitacy of this study, but damn... if I smoke for more than a few days in a row I feel so fuzzy and just not my usual self.

Moderation is the key to everything... it's probably very true you can overdo pot, but you can overdo alcohol with much much worse affects and its not illegal.

--------------------
King Koopa said:
The amount of pot that Gask smokes is equivalent to a guy shooting heroin on weekends

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Re: Chronic Pot Smoking Affects Brain Chemistry, Scans Show [Re: drawde]
    #563185 - 06/09/11 07:55 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I get that same feeling but I've noticed it's usually due to what I DO on pot than the pot itself. If you spend 4 days sitting on a couch watching tv, getting dehydrated and eating shitty food even if you're sober, you'll start to feel like shit. If I smoke weed and then go eat an apple and go on a hike or play frolf or something I'm fine.

--------------------

OfflineHarlz

Loc: cloudz
Re: Chronic Pot Smoking Affects Brain Chemistry, Scans Show [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #563196 - 06/09/11 08:48 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

marijuana affects memory

I disagree, I have smoked my fair share, and there were periods in my life where I was smoking like 2-5 g a week,

and I personally have the best memory of anyone I know, and many people have told me my memory is astounding,

I could be a freak exception though :vaped: and I still smoke everyday

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US Flag
Re: Chronic Pot Smoking Affects Brain Chemistry, Scans Show [Re: Harlz]
    #563203 - 06/09/11 09:42 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

come on people, really?

dur dur if you stimulate a type of receptor then the number of receptors goes down dur dur

if this is what they are using as evidence that cannabis is bad for you, then they should also just go ahead and ban caffeine. Caffeine binds and inhibits the function of adenosine receptors in the brain. After 10 days or so of constant presence of caffeine, the body responds by drastically increasing the number of receptors...this is called TOLERANCE. Once the user stops caffeine intake, there are some side effects from having a crapton of adenosine receptors including vasodilation leading to headaches. Then after a week or two the body removes excess receptors and returns to normal.

Sound like this fair and unbiased Institute needs to stop blowing smoke up everyone's ass :grizzlybear:

--------------------
“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you” -NDT

InvisibleLaysthepipe
Vivi Sex Symbol
 User Gallery

Re: Chronic Pot Smoking Affects Brain Chemistry, Scans Show [Re: Data]
    #563272 - 06/09/11 02:11 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

agmotes165 said:
come on people, really?

dur dur if you stimulate a type of receptor then the number of receptors goes down dur dur

if this is what they are using as evidence that cannabis is bad for you, then they should also just go ahead and ban caffeine. Caffeine binds and inhibits the function of adenosine receptors in the brain. After 10 days or so of constant presence of caffeine, the body responds by drastically increasing the number of receptors...this is called TOLERANCE. Once the user stops caffeine intake, there are some side effects from having a crapton of adenosine receptors including vasodilation leading to headaches. Then after a week or two the body removes excess receptors and returns to normal.

Sound like this fair and unbiased Institute needs to stop blowing smoke up everyone's ass :grizzlybear:

They should ban vegetables.

Those goddamn things make me feel good.

--------------------

InvisibleiwasaClown
Imagining.
Male

#563276 - 06/09/11 02:20 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Harlz said:
Quote:

marijuana affects memory

I disagree, I have smoked my fair share, and there were periods in my life where I was smoking like 2-5 g a week,

and I personally have the best memory of anyone I know, and many people have told me my memory is astounding,

I could be a freak exception though :vaped: and I still smoke everyday

That's probably your long-term memory, how's your short-term mem.?

Huh....wait....whaaaat?:stoned2:

--------------------
"...And this I believe: that the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in the world. And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected. And this I must fight against: any idea, religion, or government which limits or destroys the individual."

OfflineHarlz

Loc: cloudz
Re: Chronic Pot Smoking Affects Brain Chemistry, Scans Show [Re: iwasaClown]
    #563282 - 06/09/11 02:39 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I have no problems remembering damn near anything, its a blessing and a curse id say :shrug:

I still get slips of the mind, but memorizing notes and stuff I can recite word for word off memory

InvisibleiwasaClown
Imagining.
Male

#563293 - 06/09/11 02:57 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Nice.:thumbup:

My short-term memory kind of sucks, particularly with people's names.
My long-term memory though is elephant-like.:awesome:

--------------------
"...And this I believe: that the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in the world. And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected. And this I must fight against: any idea, religion, or government which limits or destroys the individual."

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
Re: Chronic Pot Smoking Affects Brain Chemistry, Scans Show [Re: iwasaClown]
    #563309 - 06/09/11 03:57 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Is there such a thing as an "almost photographic" memory? :lol:

I remember some things stupidly vividly to the point of remembering the color of peoples clothes that were in the room with me, and other things I don't remember at all.

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

Re: Chronic Pot Smoking Affects Brain Chemistry, Scans Show [Re: RasJeph]
    #563320 - 06/09/11 05:25 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

There are some things called flashbulb memories though those are usually associated with a significant event, like a near death experience ect.  Since all memories are reconstructions it can be difficult to actually determine what we remember is accurate sometimes.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:
you know what i did in english class? I came to class stoned out of my mind every day, i chugged vodka in the back of class, i put dead fish in the ceiling tiles. i put a gallon of old milk and orange juice in the file cabinet before winter vacation. i brought snakes in a tied up sweater and let them loose during class. i didnt go to school to learn, i went because i had to. i didnt care, and i didn't fucking listen to that stupid bitch. and i still don't fucking care. i tore the pages out of her books and burned them, and threw away all the books in the class, two books per day.  :twobooks:

Edited by THEBats (06/09/11 05:26 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom