Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineshanker
Stranger
Opinion Needed on Grow Kit
    #541269 - 03/29/11 01:27 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Hi guys

I come from the Shroomery originally but have browsed the Growery for a while. I have lots of experience with myco work but I am a noob when it comes to marijuana cultivation although I have read a fair bit and I watched a bunch of videos. I use mushrooms and marijuana as a medicine for my chronic migraine condition. I am interested in growing my own marijuana so I have a stable supply of medicine which is cheaper for me than buying it. I will also have better quality control. However, I am unsure of where I should start and was thinking of getting a kit.

Could you guys please provide your opinion on this?

http://www.growroom.com.au/p442/6pot-coco-system

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: Opinion Needed on Grow Kit [Re: shanker]
    #541426 - 03/29/11 08:10 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Are you from austrailia? I ask because the company is there, and shipping to another country would be expensive...

--------------------
My best run so far

Offlineshanker
Stranger
Re: Opinion Needed on Grow Kit [Re: Tank333]
    #541492 - 03/29/11 10:54 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah, I am. I should go to a few of the local stores but I looked at some of the websites for local stores and this kit seemed to be a good way to start. Furthermore, if I'm renting then I won't have to paint all the walls or cover them in mylar as I will have a mylar tent.

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

#541502 - 03/29/11 11:10 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I would recommend going to a local store and pricing the items that "kit" comes with, and see what the difference is... it seems WAY overpriced to me, but I don't know what things cost over there, so I may be wrong...

Maybe someone from his neck of the woods wants to chime in?

--------------------
My best run so far

Offlineshanker
Stranger
    #541519 - 03/29/11 11:55 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I'm sure if I were to make my own setup then it would be cheaper but I'd rather not mess around too much when I'm beginning and then have things fuck up. If I owned my own house then I probably would not worry as much.

Most things tend to be a lot cheaper in North America due to the large population and resulting economies of scale. We only have around 21 million people compared to roughly 300 million in the United States.

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

#541527 - 03/30/11 12:06 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

That is very true. That's why I asked for someone who's more local to you to add something. But evidently everyone else is gone at the moment... lol.

Anyways, how expensive is lumber and plywood there? You could make a 4x4x8 box on your own if you're pretty handy with a saw and drill. They're pretty simple to make, and can be much cheaper than a tent.

Also, when you see a kit like that online, they usually take the avarage market price for all the items in the kit, and add 15-20%. I call it a "lazy tax". Makes you pay more because you didn't take the time to shop around and figure out where to by the items at the best price. Its like paying WAY too much for a box of oreo's at the gas station because you don't want to make another stop at the grocery store for your munchies, even though it could be as low as half the price...

Anyways, its late, and I'm off for the night. I hope someone here is able to help ya more than I have!

--------------------
My best run so far

Offlinelucas_southoz
Australian
Male

#541553 - 03/30/11 05:02 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Heres another aussie hydro site..

http://glandorehydro.com/Grow-Tents/Grow-Tent-Kits.html

Seem abit cheaper..

Ebay is pretty cheap aswell..

http://shop.ebay.com.au/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=grow+tent&_sacat=See-All-Categories.

Lights aren't too expensive.. save abit if you don't buy the whole package imo.

Offlineshanker
Stranger
Re: Opinion Needed on Grow Kit [Re: lucas_southoz]
    #541574 - 03/30/11 07:17 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah, I guess I should look around and visit some local shops first. I just want something that's easy to put together and disassemble etc. When I started off with my myco hobby I saw full kits online and they were expensive as hell. I saved a lot by doing things myself.

Any tips on what I should buy individually to make my own similar kit?

OfflineRusty ShackleFord
Stranger Danger
Male User Gallery

#544248 - 04/07/11 08:16 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I built a box when I started growing, now I have a tent 3.5x3.5x7. Having done both I would tell you to buy a tent. Set up was 15 min vrs 3 days of building sealing and painting. If you want to hear more let me know.

Offlineshanker
Stranger
Re: Opinion Needed on Grow Kit [Re: Rusty ShackleFord]
    #547453 - 04/17/11 06:29 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, any tips are useful. I think I will be moving into a 3 bedroom rental that my friend owns which will make it easier for me should I wish to grow as I would not have some unknown landlord. However, the landlord isn't into taking drugs or anything and I wouldn't plan to tell anyone if I was growing. When I move in and get a feel for the place then I'll make a decision then. Growing mushroom isn't a problem as it's easy to hide a tub in a cupboard.

I thought a nice ready made kit would be good for growing a few plants as it's easy to put up and take down. I can get clones from someone but the person does not know what kind they are. I was hoping for a strain that has good medicinal qualities for the pain and nausea I get from migraines when mushrooms fail. From what I've read indica is preferred.

Have you got any pics of your tent and equipment?

OfflineRusty ShackleFord
Stranger Danger
Male User Gallery

#547467 - 04/17/11 09:05 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Unless you are licensed I would not recommend growing in a rental. The security issues alone would stress me out.  Keep in mind when you buy a tent, you get what you pay for. I bought a cheap tent, the fabric is top quality but the seamstress work and zipper fabric is definitely where they cut cost. This left me with lots of light leaks that I repaired with gorilla tape. As soon as I can figure out how to post pics I will put some up.

--------------------
Dale Gribble: Is that a real computer? Man: Yes, it is. Dale Gribble: [nervously] Then my name is Rusty Shackleford !!!!

Offlineshanker
Stranger
    #547469 - 04/17/11 09:18 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I'm still keen on using hydroponics for vegetables and legal ethnobotanicals. No one can bust me for that! =P

OfflineRusty ShackleFord
Stranger Danger
Male User Gallery

#547501 - 04/17/11 12:01 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

True but as soon as you introduce mj they can. I wont tell you not to do it, but it is risky. I get really stressed when service people come to the house and I'm running air filtration. I'm always worried can they smell it, can they hear the fans running, can they read my paranoid mind.......someone get me a tinfoil hat. LMFAO. Your grow will evolve to best suit your needs.

--------------------
Dale Gribble: Is that a real computer? Man: Yes, it is. Dale Gribble: [nervously] Then my name is Rusty Shackleford !!!!

OfflineRusty ShackleFord
Stranger Danger
Male User Gallery

#547574 - 04/17/11 05:50 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

This is the mechanics of it all. The digital ballast powers a 400 watt cool tube. I wired up a light dimmer switch to control the 424cfm fan

This is the 3.5' x 3.5' x 7' tent

This is the place where all the majic happens. The 6inch duct pulls air through the big boy charcoal filter you see in the top right corner. My cool tube is hung by yoyo's i used Velcro straps to hold up the filter. if you get the same size tent as me go with the four inch fan and use a reducer on your hood this fan and filter is over kill for this size tent, it will collapse it.

and this is my growing conditions 54.1% humidity and 68.3 deg.

Sorry for no pics of greenery, im still building trust of this site lol

--------------------

Edited by Rusty ShackleFord (04/19/11 06:32 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies