Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineShotgun
45 goin
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington State
Anyone know how to make a full spectrum LED?
    #543200 - 04/04/11 06:11 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I really want to make one. But I cant find clear directions. I need one large enough to cover an 8x4x8 tent and the 15 that will be in it. so i may need to build two, but i need help

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Anyone know how to make a full spectrum LED? [Re: Shotgun]
    #543310 - 04/04/11 09:55 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Why do you want to go with LED over HID?

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #543333 - 04/04/11 11:21 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

scratch making your own.

there are many types of led's out there, you have to get the right watt led's, of the right spectrum, of the right angle, and then wire it correctly. it's only slightly more to get one manufactured than to buy all the raw materials and invest time.  I was considering it for awhile, but there would be too many factors involved to just get it right the first time.  Plus you want 3w led's; i couldnt even find them online.

not that I'm against doing it one day if I find a good deal on led's and money to burn.

your gonna need more than 2 for that much square footage. but then again, with that much square footage you might need to build your own.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by phychotron (04/04/11 11:29 PM)

OfflineShotgun
45 goin
Male User Gallery

Re: Anyone know how to make a full spectrum LED? [Re: phychotron]
    #543646 - 04/06/11 01:09 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I want to use an LED(a nice one) because of the true full spectrum and low heat. And my guide(shaman) has a sister that makes true full spectrum LED's that should sell for two to three grand. But they sell them for cheaper. I dont want to ask them how, because they are trying to make money for their family that way. But They sell them for a grand. and they use the 3w led's. so, i know it is cost effective for them, so im sure I can do it too. My room mate is an electrition. I really just want to know how to arrange the lights and all the technical aspects. And maybe a list of supplies. I'm down to spend up to 500 to make a light that is equivelant to over two 1000W HID lights. It is well worth it to me. If I could make two for under 800 I would be extremely happy

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #543657 - 04/06/11 04:15 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah I've heard the full spectrum stuff before but believe it I don't think I do. Every time they say this light is as good as a HID 600 (the ufo light). When grown side by side the HID always out perform the LED's. I do believe the LED's to be the future of lighting but in 25 years of growing under lights I've yet to see anything come close to HID's and that includes the LED lights out now.
A friend switched his entire garden to LED's 6 months later he was back to his HID's. Like I said I do think they are the future of lighting but as of yet there performance isn't really even that close.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Anyone know how to make a full spectrum LED? [Re: Magash]
    #543695 - 04/06/11 10:02 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

led's seem to have gotten a bad wrap when they first came out, but within the last few months led technology has advanced a lot and come down drastically in price.  The main problem is all the BS marketing they use on LED's. I think 2011 is the year the led becomes a serious alternative to HID.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #543703 - 04/06/11 11:08 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

The problem I have with both of those videos is that the only HID light used there is the HPS. Are there any side-by-side comparisons using a MH to veg and a HPS to bloom?

--------------------
My best run so far

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #543711 - 04/06/11 11:33 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Shotgun said:
I want to use an LED(a nice one) because of the true full spectrum and low heat. And my guide(shaman) has a sister that makes true full spectrum LED's that should sell for two to three grand. But they sell them for cheaper. I dont want to ask them how, because they are trying to make money for their family that way. But They sell them for a grand. and they use the 3w led's. so, i know it is cost effective for them, so im sure I can do it too. My room mate is an electrition. I really just want to know how to arrange the lights and all the technical aspects. And maybe a list of supplies. I'm down to spend up to 500 to make a light that is equivelant to over two 1000W HID lights. It is well worth it to me. If I could make two for under 800 I would be extremely happy

You're not going to be able to make them yourself. Some extremely high tolerance, micromanufacturing goes into assembling the individual diodes. Even on a 3W LED (or the 10W that I was engineering last summer) are only .5mm-1mm in diameter. Without the proper machinery there is no possible way for you to assemble them by hand. I would bet money that even your guide's sister probably just outsources the assembly to somewhere like china. Once you get the design down properly you can get them custom manufactured for cheap, but you'd have to do the engineering yourself.

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #543713 - 04/06/11 11:38 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
Yeah I've heard the full spectrum stuff before but believe it I don't think I do. Every time they say this light is as good as a HID 600 (the ufo light). When grown side by side the HID always out perform the LED's. I do believe the LED's to be the future of lighting but in 25 years of growing under lights I've yet to see anything come close to HID's and that includes the LED lights out now.
A friend switched his entire garden to LED's 6 months later he was back to his HID's. Like I said I do think they are the future of lighting but as of yet there performance isn't really even that close.

The UFO's are a fucking joke for sure. I'm with you on that, those will NEVER equal HID's.  (they use the 1/10W or 1/5W diodes :facepalm:)

That said, last summer I was assistant engineering LED assembly for 10W diodes that could practically melt cinderblocks. Point one at your eyes and you didn't see colors for a week. Once the cost drops on those they're going to make HIDS look like incandescent bulbs. We used them for a variety of applications, 660nm wavelength for algae (biofuel applications), multi-spectrum combos for terrestrial plants, and with a 600W HPS side by side with only 100W of those LED's our bell peppers were fucking HUGEEEEE. The penetration intensity from a 10W LED is mind boggling compared to an HID bulb, but as of right now the cost is just completely impractical. Also, we had MASSIVE heat sinks on the diodes, a 10W LED generates a fuck pile of heat since it's such a tiny area so honestly if you tried to put a 400W LED array in a space (with 40 of those diodes on it) you'd be talking some serious ventilation required.

--------------------

OfflineDamion5050
Perscribing Mushrooms Is Fun
Male

Re: Anyone know how to make a full spectrum LED? [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #543714 - 04/06/11 11:42 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

What about something along these lines and building your own..

http://www.leddistributors.net/products/specs/hid_flexible_led_strip_specs.html

Comes in 6500K and 3000K

6500K puts out 5100 lumens and the 3000K puts out 4080 lumens.

A total reel is 16 foot and is 96 watts per 16 foot..

--------------------
AMU - Q&A
MY GROW LOG
MY ELEMENTARY COIR TEK
EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO CULTIVATE MUSHROOMS

Live well, laugh often, love much.  --  Stand up for what you believe in, even if it means standing alone.  --  Dont follow the beaten path. Go your own way and leave a trail.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Anyone know how to make a full spectrum LED? [Re: Damion5050]
    #543715 - 04/06/11 11:44 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

1/4w per diode? you might as well just use a flashlight.

--------------------

OfflineDamion5050
Perscribing Mushrooms Is Fun
Male

#543717 - 04/06/11 11:48 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
1/4w per diode? you might as well just use a flashlight.

I have no idea the diode rating lol I dont see it on the site, I just bought well not just but did buy some of the HID strips and made lids for shrooms that has light built in and they work great because they are more concentrated then using a CFL, but thats for shrooms of course which is a totally different thing..  I was just throwing out a link and seeing if it would be helpful..

--------------------
AMU - Q&A
MY GROW LOG
MY ELEMENTARY COIR TEK
EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO CULTIVATE MUSHROOMS

Live well, laugh often, love much.  --  Stand up for what you believe in, even if it means standing alone.  --  Dont follow the beaten path. Go your own way and leave a trail.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #543722 - 04/06/11 11:52 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I could take those videos a little more seriously if they used the right bulbs for vegging but everybody knows that hps isn't for vegging. I've also notice for every video put up by a grow shop or LED light maker there are two of these from the people that actually bought them and used them at home.

Youtube is a good place to watch funny videos but for serious information gathering it's more of a joke then anything else.

--------------------

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #543729 - 04/06/11 12:08 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I wish I had videoed my tests.

But I have found that with my 120 watt LED 1 watt leds, that I can match and in most cases beat a 400 watt HPS.  No shit.

My test was don't with same strains, and vegged under 400 MH and cloned under same light.  The flowering rooms were both 2.5 x 2.5 x 5, both had a megagarden by Hydrofarms and the same ventalation of 190 cfm's.

The HPS averages 4 to 6 ozs, as where the LED average 5 to 7 ozs. The only over all diference in finish product is a little bleaching under the LED unit.  Taste and potency seem very much the same.

Just my 2 Cents.

--------------------
:getstoned:

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #543790 - 04/06/11 04:24 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

the guy in the video is very opinionated, but its all based on the BS marketing and price.  if he had even a cheap $35 light meter or showed the bud's and did a comparison between the lights it might be worth listening to him.  however, light meters won't compare the light between the various sources, just give you a comparison within the category, ie led vs led. you need a PAR (photosynthetic-active-radiation) meter to get real a real. and also, it's over a year old, a lot has changed since then.

The led market is developing via ebay it seems like.  many manufacturers selling directly from china tell you in the auction "we'll make any size led to your specifications" and wholesale it to you.

--------------------

OfflineShotgun
45 goin
Male User Gallery

#543950 - 04/07/11 02:08 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Thank you for the advise everyone. I'll just use 1000k MH and HPS lights for now. I will still build an LED, but just for kicks. I wont spend a lot of time with it and when/if i finish it, ill just test it out on one plant just to see. prolly months down the road. Thanks again!

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #544048 - 04/07/11 09:33 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Just remember, the higher wattage you get PER DIODE, the better your results will be. a 300w light from 100 x 3w diodes will WAY outperform 300 x 1w diodes. Just keep that in mind :thumbup:

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #544127 - 04/07/11 02:29 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
Just remember, the higher wattage you get PER DIODE, the better your results will be. a 300w light from 100 x 3w diodes will WAY outperform 300 x 1w diodes. Just keep that in mind :thumbup:

cannot stress this point enough. this is the reason why led will become serious competition for hps. once the 3w becomes more standard the price will only drop--both on the 3w design and 1w designs. however i think it will be a few more years before they can completely replace HID, which has a larger footprint. LED is too expensive to cover a large area right now. the risk of loosing equipment also plays a factor, since it would be pointless to spend extra on equipment and have the cops take it away.

--------------------

Edited by phychotron (04/07/11 02:33 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck