Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTektonic
dont panic, it's organic

Folding@home Statistics
Re: HPS LIGHT: 250 watt or 400 watt??? [Re: kickin-two-hundo]
    #419699 - 05/18/10 10:13 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

no need for the halide, you can veg & flower with HPS if you get a full spectrum bulb

all good lights make high heat, atm, but plants need fresh air too, so hit two birds with one stoner and vent the light

--------------------
Legal & Compliant with local & state regulations.

Daily Tzolkin

:peace: :heart: :earth:

"If triangles' had a God, he would have 3 sides."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTomCollins

Re: HPS LIGHT: 250 watt or 400 watt??? [Re: kickin-two-hundo]
    #419711 - 05/18/10 10:23 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

cicken200 said:
Okay so i have to have air circulation no matter what, i understand that now. I have never used HPS lights before,

how much of a temperature rise am i going to be looking at? I mean am i going to walk in my room and its going to be around 100 degrees? or 90 or what? I keep my house at 78 degrees.

Are there any other kinds of lights i should look at, where i will not have as much heating problems, but will produce the same outstanding results as the HPS lights?

I mean, this really depends on the size of your room. In my previous grow, I grew in a closet with a 400W:

When I didn't have any cooling for my light, the temperatures would hit around 35C in the closet. About 38C on the top of the plants. The room outside of the closet was around 27, and the room had no heating and it was during winter. It was a fucking cold winter too. So that hopefully gives you an idea.

If you have a large room that's fairly well ventilated, then the ambient room temperature increase should not be significant. However, the tops of your plants will get hot. Like I said, your light has to be within 26inches to your plants according to this chart:

Without sufficient cooling, you're plants will suffer at that proximity to the bulb.

An alternative to HID lighting is using LEDs. Though they are not quite as good as HIDs (yet) I have seen some excellent grows completed with LEDs. 

Quote:

cicken200 said:
I really appreciate all of your input!!

Just in case anybody cares, here is the light and setup that i am looking to order
https://www.htgsupply.com/growlights.asp?categoryID=1&subcategoryID=155&typeID=55
with the metal halide conversion bulb too.

Quote:

Tektonic said:
no need for the halide, you can veg & flower with HPS if you get a full spectrum bulb

Well you can see a plant through an entire grow with any HPS bulb really. However, I don't think that just because it says full spectrum, means it provides adequate blue spectrum light for the plant. I think it's still primarily orange and red spectrum. That said, plants benefit immensely during vegetative growth when exposed to blue and white spectrum light. I have also heard that you will have much better female to male ratios using an MH during vegetative growth and during the initial weeks of flowering. (Link)

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

Edited by TomCollins (05/18/10 10:35 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies