Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinelopan
 User Gallery

Ventilation help? Where to put my inline fan?
    #535583 - 03/10/11 04:11 PM (13 years, 21 days ago)

So I am working in a fairly small room, approximately 6'x12'.  I've purchased a 600w ballast, a 135 CFM inline fan, a Daystar AC hood / reflector, and a carbon filter.

After moving from 4 4' T12s to 1 600W MH, my room temperature has gone from a comfortable 70f to a blistering 90f, so my question is one of how to deploy my ventilation.

* Should I put the scrubber at the intake or out-vent of the ventilation (sucking from or blowing into the filter)?
* Should the fan blow into, or suck from, the hood?
* Should I suck air from outside the room, and blow it in?
* Or should I take the air inside the room, and blow it out?

Thank you!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinelopan
 User Gallery

Re: Ventilation help? Where to put my inline fan? [Re: lopan]
    #535945 - 03/11/11 02:44 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

Help help.  It is the weekend and I have finally lots of time on my hands.

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #535946 - 03/11/11 02:57 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

Into filter, hood, and then fan exhausting out of the room.
You also need a intake of fresh air to the room, how ever you may not need a fan for that.

--------------------
:getstoned:

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #535947 - 03/11/11 03:03 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

The issue here is that a 135cfm fan is WAY too small for a 600W bulb in that size of a room. What made you decide to purchase that? I'm just curious how your math worked out because quite honestly there is literally no way you're going to be able to make that work unless you get a bigger fan.

--------------------

Offlinelopan
 User Gallery

Re: Ventilation help? Where to put my inline fan? [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #536098 - 03/11/11 08:34 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

stoney.69 said:
Into filter, hood, and then fan exhausting out of the room.
You also need a intake of fresh air to the room, how ever you may not need a fan for that.

Thank you mate!

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
The issue here is that a 135cfm fan is WAY too small for a 600W bulb in that size of a room. What made you decide to purchase that? I'm just curious how your math worked out because quite honestly there is literally no way you're going to be able to make that work unless you get a bigger fan.

So my understanding is:  At 506 cubic feet, a 135 cubic feet / minute fan should be able to exchange the air in 3.7 minutes, and I've read that you should exchange the air at least every five minutes.  Am I missing something?

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #536100 - 03/11/11 08:37 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

at LEAST every 5 minutes. At the absolute, utter least.

Also, you completely forgot to account for drag caused by the carbon filter, ducting, reflectors and intake hole (assuming passive intake). That 135CFM will be closer to 50-75 CFM by the time the entire setup is going.

To put it in perspective; I was growing in a 53 cubic foot space, but with two 600w lights, air cooled reflectors and a carbon scrubber I had a 450CFM fan and I still wasn't satisfied with my airflow.

--------------------

Offlinelopan
 User Gallery

#536115 - 03/11/11 09:02 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
at LEAST every 5 minutes. At the absolute, utter least.

Also, you completely forgot to account for drag caused by the carbon filter, ducting, reflectors and intake hole (assuming passive intake). That 135CFM will be closer to 50-75 CFM by the time the entire setup is going.

To put it in perspective; I was growing in a 53 cubic foot space, but with two 600w lights, air cooled reflectors and a carbon scrubber I had a 450CFM fan and I still wasn't satisfied with my airflow.

You are right - I hadn't taken into account the drag caused by the rest of the setup...  Good thing I kept my receipt!  Thanks for the answer.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #536117 - 03/11/11 09:04 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

Get at LEAST a 6" vortex man. I promise it'll be worth every penny you spend.

--------------------

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #536259 - 03/12/11 11:51 AM (13 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
Get at LEAST a 6" vortex man. I promise it'll be worth every penny you spend.

Seconded. A 6" inline is going to be just the ticket for your setup. Plus, since its a bigger fan you can always speed control it to get a quiet fan that still moves enough air to cool your room.

As far as the setup is concerned, I like to put my scrubber at the end of the line so that if there is a leak in the ducting, the smell will still be pushed through the scrubber. The only downfall to this setup is that when the exhaust has to exit the room, the scrubber has to be outside the room as well and you need to be extra sure that any connections and ducting made outside the room are super tight as any leaks at this point will release smell.

--------------------
* My Cab
* How to Build a Grow Tent
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Not responsible for advice not taken.

OfflineBigBudz
USA Mind Controls You!
 User Gallery

Loc: Oakland, CA USA Flag
    #537932 - 03/18/11 05:35 PM (13 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

lopan said:
So I am working in a fairly small room, approximately 6'x12'.  I've purchased a 600w ballast, a 135 CFM inline fan, a Daystar AC hood / reflector, and a carbon filter.

After moving from 4 4' T12s to 1 600W MH, my room temperature has gone from a comfortable 70f to a blistering 90f, so my question is one of how to deploy my ventilation.

* Should I put the scrubber at the intake or out-vent of the ventilation (sucking from or blowing into the filter)?
* Should the fan blow into, or suck from, the hood?
* Should I suck air from outside the room, and blow it in?
* Or should I take the air inside the room, and blow it out?

Thank you!

Air flow is really important. The HID lights make lots of heat, which typically evaporates water from the plants, which increases the humidity of the grow area. Typically people use a carbon air scrubber and suck the air out of the room, with either a passive intake or another fan which sucks air into the room; an active intake. That 90 degrees might only be 80 but the humidity is so high. For instance 70 degrees at 40 percent humidity vs 80 degrees at 75 humidity feels like 90+ degrees at 40
percent humidity.

People get very technical on larger rooms. Often they have fans just to cool the lights, other fans just for the plants and even another fan just for smell. Seems like you have dreams for a larger grow with all those questions =).

Not sure how the room looks, but the best room designs typically have a fresh air intake from a window or hole to the outside world, which is the air intake. Then you have a carbon air scrubber pull the air from the room to the outside world. In such a small area you don't really need a fan to pull air into the room, since the output fan should be enough. If you really don't like temps, run another fan for the light, which the input is an independent draw from the window or another hole in the wall, to the output which is another window or hole in the wall.

Tons of variations exist. You don't have to follow that precisely. For instance one grow I did had a 600 CFM fan that drew air just from outside the grow room. So what happened is the large fan sucked air from inside the grow room, and then I had it go through the lights, then to a window, which was the output. So all the air going to the outside world has no smell. The air input came from another window from outside the grow room that was open.

It's somewhat an engineering design. The numbers are sorta crazy but the peeps above post the kind of airflow you want through the room. The design I had would have worked even better if I had a active fan air input in the grow area from the outside world. As long as the output fan exceeds the input fan, you have no issue with smell. Or you can just have a passive input, but it isn't as efficient.

What you could do is similar to what I did. Use the new 600CFM fan as the draw for the carbon filter, which goes through the light to the outside world. Use the small fan to bring air into the grow room. Welcome to no more hot room and happier plants! The ultimate grow room would also have an oscillating fan blowing air directly on the plants as well.

Hope that helped you out man.

--------------------
Art Music Music 2 Music 3

You are most likely being mind controlled if you live in the USA. The technology was discovered back in the late 1980's. You can easily see weird towers on government buildings...
http://www.cheniere.org/misc/sparkoflife.htm#mindcontrol

Edited by BigBudz (03/18/11 05:39 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies