Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisible13eetleJuice
The ghost with the most
Male

Loc: 6' under fertalizing bud
Lighting and Ventilation Questions: 3'x3'x7' Cabinet
    #501628 - 11/29/10 11:18 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Grow Light Kit from AEGSupply: $179

400w digital ballast w/ 5 year warranty
6" air cooled reflector w/ lamp, base, wiring, and hangars.

6" Inline Duct Fan: $25

My grow space is 3'x3'x7'. The cabinet is currently being lit by 400w of CFL's. With my current ventilation setup, the temperature in the cabinet only rises about 5 degrees above ambient room temperature. I have a passive intake at the bottom of the cabinet while exhausting the hot air out of the top of the cabinet with a 12" window mount style exhaust fan similar to the one pictured below.

I cut a 12" diameter hole in the top of my cabinet and then removed the fan from the plastic window mounting unit and installed it. I know it isn't ideal but I'm on a budget and it's what I had to work with.

I'd like to move up to HPS lighting but I'm concerned about heat issues. Unfortunately, I'm not able to do any cutting into the walls or ceiling. My plan is to remove the 400 watts of CFL's and instead, run a 400w HPS bulb in a 6" sealed, air cooled reflector while venting the exhaust out of the top of the cabinet and into the outlying room. All current ventilation will remain in place.

About the inline duct fan: HTGSupply claims these fans are, "Perfect for air cooling a single lighting reflector or ventilating a small closet sized grow room." However, it does look rather weak. I do NOT want a loud ass blower in my closet. They're expensive and this cabinet is in a living space so sound is sort of an issue as regards to comfort and convenience.

So what do you think? Would this 400w hps cooled by that 160 CFM duct fan heat my cabinet up too much? If so, then perhaps 400w is overkill in such a small space. Do you think I could get by with a 250w HPS air cooled hood?

I'm on a budget and I'm trying to keep this upgrade under the $250 mark shipped! Thanks for reading. All comments welcomed.

Edited by 13eetleJuice (11/30/10 05:39 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
Re: Lighting and Ventilation Questions: 3'x3'x7' Cabinet [Re: 13eetleJuice]
    #501672 - 11/29/10 02:33 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

They make inline fans that are about the size you need...The duct fans are really to move the air the length of your vent tube if its to be carried a distance not really to remove air from a room.

I've never used them, but have read about them a little and thats what I took from it.

I found a 100 CFM inline fan and its not very loud..You can use dynomat or some different rubber mounts to dampen the noise...You can't use a carbon scrubber with a duct fan either, just pointing out the obvious. Just saying I'd try to get something else if you can make it happen..And you could get a fan controller obviously to lower the rate the fans going at in hopes of dampening a littler more noise.

I'm about to put one inside of a cabinet almost the same size...2.5x2.5x5, so if you still are having any questions in a couple of weeks hopefully I will have a for sure answer and proof of it. :shrug:

--------------------
Suck my balls America

Invisible13eetleJuice
The ghost with the most
Male

Re: Lighting and Ventilation Questions: 3'x3'x7' Cabinet [Re: mhbound]
    #501686 - 11/29/10 04:00 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

After browsing grow forums all day I came across something called the Stanley Blower Mod.

Apparently this can be had for about $50 bucks.

With a little modding, this three speed unit can do the job of a more expensive inline centrifugal fan. And apparently they are quite silent too! I'm pretty sure this is the way I'm going to go with this.

--------------------

Edited by 13eetleJuice (11/29/10 04:07 PM)

OfflineGoombah
Esquire
Female User Gallery

Loc: Peoples Republic of MA Flag
    #501775 - 11/29/10 10:59 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I use the same in line fan you have pictured up top for my air-cooled reflector. The thing makes no noise at all. As far as heat goes I'm working in a much larger space so the lamp stays nice and cool (running 1000w hps). Don't know how well the fan would do in an enclosed space, but as someone suggested to me, create a closed system with vent hose, suck air in through one hose, through the light, through another hose and out. The fan works well for that application but it doesn't have enough draw if you plan on attaching a carbon filter later on.

InvisibleLaysthepipe
Vivi Sex Symbol
 User Gallery

Loc: KOREA
    #501820 - 11/30/10 02:30 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

13eetleJuice said:
After browsing grow forums all day I came across something called the Stanley Blower Mod.

Apparently this can be had for about $50 bucks.

With a little modding, this three speed unit can do the job of a more expensive inline centrifugal fan. And apparently they are quite silent too! I'm pretty sure this is the way I'm going to go with this.

Dude after doing some searching that fan looks pretty awesome for the price.

Quote:

High - 2181 cfm; 0.85 amp
Medium - 1746 cfm; 0.62 amp
Low - 1282 cfm; 0.50 amp

Really good cfm.

--------------------
:advisory:

“If you want to find out who your real friends are, sink the ship. The first ones to jump aren’t your friends.” — Marilyn Manson

This isn't the correct place to confront me on anything.

Forum full of dead stars, and a necro I called Coma White

OfflineAnnom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Trusted Cultivator
    #501827 - 11/30/10 04:18 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Replacing 400 W CFL with 400 W HPS will not change the temperature much.

Offlinejkell
Midnight toker

Loc: Don' worry bout it
Re: Lighting and Ventilation Questions: 3'x3'x7' Cabinet [Re: Annom]
    #502482 - 12/02/10 01:35 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Annom said:
Replacing 400 W CFL with 400 W HPS will not change the temperature much.

Unless its cool-tubed hooked up to that blower.

Invisible13eetleJuice
The ghost with the most
Male

Re: Lighting and Ventilation Questions: 3'x3'x7' Cabinet [Re: jkell]
    #502547 - 12/02/10 10:54 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Grow Light Kit from AEGSupply: $179

I just bought this a few minutes ago. I got it for $208.95, shipped. The company claims that their Interlux superHPS bulb (never heard of it) produces 57,000 lumens. I kind of doubt it but I don't care, really. For $209 I'm not expecting much more than a little bit of orange light. I'm so fucking stoked though. This is my first HPS system. Fuck a CFL!

For the blower, I've devised a ghetto way to get it done as usual. I'm going to pick up a Stanley blower as soon as I find one dirt cheap. However, I'm going to need something in the meantime. I was looking around the house and I came across a Lakewood tower fan like the one pictured below.

I've always known it to be a stout little fan but after opening it up and looking around inside I found out why... It's a fucking blower! A centrally located, three speed, electric motor powers twin, 4 inch, squirrel cage impellers. Fucking perfect for now.

:awecid:

--------------------

Edited by 13eetleJuice (12/02/10 11:54 AM)

Invisible13eetleJuice
The ghost with the most
Male

#504279 - 12/09/10 02:15 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I've been running this air cooled 400w HPS lamp for a few hours and it's staying COOLER than 400w of CFL ever did!

--------------------

Edited by 13eetleJuice (12/10/10 07:38 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder