Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineChopin
Stranger
Local Light Shopping
    #534021 - 03/06/11 07:57 PM (13 years, 25 days ago)

I went to the local store earlier and checked out what lights they have. Right now all i have is flouro's. So i saw that they had HPS, and metal Hallide(sp?)

Either of these suitable for the job? I searched and couldn't find very much. Would i need a special socket for these kind of bulbs? I don't have the details because i was not sure what details would be needed. Please give me an idea of what details you guys will need (I.E. Area size, wattage, number of plants that are going to be under it) And i will get you that info.

Thanks ahead.

-Chopin.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US Flag
Re: Local Light Shopping [Re: Chopin]
    #534044 - 03/06/11 08:40 PM (13 years, 25 days ago)

All of this info can be found HERE

peace,
agmotes165

--------------------
“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you” -NDT

OfflineChopin
Stranger
Re: Local Light Shopping [Re: Data]
    #534050 - 03/06/11 08:47 PM (13 years, 25 days ago)

Aah. But it would not be too much trouble for someone to simply break it down for me. Plus i would much rather hear it first hand from people who have experience, and know what they are talking about.

Also this way i can bounce idea's. Back and forth. Cooperation is the key to success. I know google exists. It is not some giant mystery to me. I am here for the conversation. Because this is something that i can't normally open up and discuss.

So if i wanted to use google, and mindlessly read through pages of information that may not apply to me, and eventually come to a conclusion, i would have. Instead i decided to come here, and have a real and relevant, conversation.

Edit: So please share the knowledge. :smile:)

Edited by Chopin (03/06/11 09:09 PM)

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

#534062 - 03/06/11 09:10 PM (13 years, 25 days ago)

typically people won't reply to threads like this unless it is something that isn't discussed very often or has never happened before. The worst thing that can happen to a forum is when people come in and ask the same questions over and over and over.

All the discussions from the beginning of this forum are archived for everyone's convenience, and basic knowledge like this can be found by using the forum's search function. If there is a novel idea, or if you search for something and can't find enough info on it...then that is the perfect time to post a question.

I am not trying to discourage you from posting...I love answering people's questions and promoting a think tank atmosphere here, but most of the time if I see a new user asking a question that shows up several times a day, then I wont even bother answering. It will help unclog the forums but most importantly will help you actually get answers from the people who lurk around here all the time and know the answers you seek, if they don't answer it's probably because they answered the same question a few weeks or months or years back and don't feel like reposting.

Hope this helps you in your search, and the general rule of thumb is the more light the better, as long as you can keep the temps down below about 80-85 maximum.

from a google search
Quote:

Plants need 25000-50000 lux too grow fast

1 lux = 1 lumen / 1 sq. meter

so you need to look at a few different bulbs and see what the lumen output will be, and just follow this rule based on the total square footage of your grow area.

Note : 25000 - 50000 lux = approx. 2400 - 4800 lumens/sq.ft.

please note that I figured all of this out using the search function at the top right of the page and google...just sayin :2cents:

peace, love, and bud :cool::thumbup:
agmotes165

--------------------

Offlinebudnectar
Planetary Citizen
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Mars
    #534073 - 03/06/11 09:37 PM (13 years, 25 days ago)

The conversation is the grow log once you've started or the chaos of the Smoke Lounge. I have been referencing this site for almost half a year for my first 'getting my feet wet' grow and I didn't join until after my plants were well on their way :wink:

I didn't need to use google for more than measurement conversions. I am fairly certain that everything you need to know is already here.

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #534074 - 03/06/11 09:48 PM (13 years, 25 days ago)

A must read book is "Marijuana Hortculture" by Jorge Cervantes, 20 to 25 dollars.

This site and the Shroomery have people that will help once they know you have done some homework.

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever sence.

OfflineChopin
Stranger
Re: Local Light Shopping [Re: KaptKid]
    #534208 - 03/07/11 09:12 AM (13 years, 25 days ago)

Well. Maybe i'm the kind of person that needs a little more human encouragement. ; ) Either way i thank thee. I will remain around. And try not to clog your forums with copious amounts of questions.

By the way, i try the search forum. Often my questions are so specific that i don't get the results i want

For instance: Metal Hallide vs HPS ? Because those are my two main options for high powered lights at the local store. And i'm not sure which one would put off a more usable spectrum of light. Because it's not JUST about the lumens, correct?

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #534209 - 03/07/11 09:24 AM (13 years, 25 days ago)

I think what people are getting at is that you think your questions are specific, but HPS versus MH bulbs is literally the MOST basic conversation you can possibly have when it comes to growing cannabis. Literally, those two are BY FAR the most used bulbs, and coming here asking if they're suitable for growing shows us that you haven't done even the slightest bit of research on your own. If you google "how to grow pot" or any variation of that, I guarantee you that both of those bulbs will be mentioned within the first page of any single link you click on.

--------------------

InvisiblePandor

Re: Local Light Shopping [Re: Harry_Ba11sach] * 1
    #534224 - 03/07/11 11:26 AM (13 years, 25 days ago)

HPS - flower
MH - veg

more watts cover larger areas.

read this thread, it should help a little.

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #534263 - 03/07/11 01:31 PM (13 years, 25 days ago)

Quote:

KaptKid said:
A must read book is "Marijuana Hortculture" by Jorge Cervantes, 20 to 25 dollars.

This site and the Shroomery have people that will help once they know you have done some homework.

:yesnod:

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever sence.

OfflineChopin
Stranger
    #535013 - 03/08/11 10:13 PM (13 years, 23 days ago)

Let me start over, because i really didn't want to butt heads with anyone. Do you think it would be better for a small-medium sized op, to go with CFLs, and LEDS. Or should i invest in a HPS.

The problem is my local hardware store doesn't have fixtures for high wattage bulbs. And i'm having trouble finding fixtures online.

Offlinebudnectar
Planetary Citizen
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Mars
    #535042 - 03/08/11 11:32 PM (13 years, 23 days ago)

I'd avoid ordering incriminating things off the interwebs. The only fixture I could find for my HPS was a security light. Needless to say I regret it. CFLs have proven their worth to some people- that's where I would say start. It's financially feasible until you can find something else. If and when you do find something better, you could easily just use those CFLs for regular lighting, unlike a HID would seem a little out of place as a reading light.

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Re: Local Light Shopping [Re: budnectar]
    #535219 - 03/09/11 03:50 PM (13 years, 22 days ago)

HIDs are used in a variety of applications including a small street light to install outside of your home for security purposes. A good thing to search for online is perhaps a local hydro shop or garden supply that may have equipment to start your own "veggies" inside before the last days of frost hit.

per the current technological limits, HID will give you the most bang for your buck. They are cheap, high efficiency, and have been proven to work by years of grow logs and literature. CFL's are a good alternative as they can be easily purchased anywhere, but they are less efficient (lumens output per watt of electricity) and thus produce more heat per watt than HID's. LEDs are actually the least efficient light design, but because you can tailor LED's such that almost all of the light coming out is absorbed by the plant, you need less lumens than either HIDs or CFL's, and thus they typically use less total wattage for the same size grow and produce less heat. The downside to LED's is that they have shown time and time again that they are not yet up to par with HID equivalents. I have worked with a crapton of first and second gen. LED's and I would highly recommend them for a vegging or mother room, as they keep the plants low and extremely bushy. I am currently growing with CFL's and they seem to be performing ok but nothing like I've seen people do with HID's. If i could afford it and had the space/cooling ability for HID I would switch to that in a heartbeat. If you have money and little to no cooling capacity then I would suggest LEDs with a few supplemental CFLs to round out the spectrum of light a little. If you want something in the middle that will give you average to above average yields and not seems too sketch if you are buying it from a hardware store then go with CFL's.

This is the kind of stuff I will be glad to discuss more in depth...if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

agmotes165

--------------------

OfflineChopin
Stranger
    #535409 - 03/09/11 11:03 PM (13 years, 22 days ago)

Okay. Do i need an HPS bulb within a certain spectrum, or all they all the same?

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #535480 - 03/10/11 11:22 AM (13 years, 22 days ago)

2100 K is preferred by most, I do believe.

--------------------
:getstoned:

OfflineChopin
Stranger
Re: Local Light Shopping [Re: Stoneth]
    #535482 - 03/10/11 11:24 AM (13 years, 22 days ago)

Thank you sir. Now time to to start comparing deals.

Sorry i'm full of questions. But here is one more. Does what Ballast you have make a large difference? As long as it's compatible? Like would some help keep the heat down?

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #535487 - 03/10/11 11:32 AM (13 years, 22 days ago)

I prefer Lumatek or Galaxy brand ballasts. Anything digital or electronic is usually good, the only thing I'd advise is to stay away from magnetic ballasts.

And for HPS bulbs I haven't really noticed a difference between the super fancy nice ones and the generic cheap bulbs :shrug:

--------------------

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Local Light Shopping [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #535491 - 03/10/11 11:42 AM (13 years, 22 days ago)

I'm starting to like the looks of these new Revolt ballasts as well.

--------------------

OfflineChopin
Stranger
Re: Local Light Shopping [Re: Stoneth]
    #535791 - 03/11/11 03:13 AM (13 years, 21 days ago)

Well thanks for all the help so far guys. I'm going to be ordering my lighting stuff within the next week.

Would a MH really be required for the veg stage? I have a shit ton of flouro's that i would like to use if possible. Then just pop them under an HPS when it gets time to change them.

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #535855 - 03/11/11 10:48 AM (13 years, 21 days ago)

Quote:

Chopin said:
Well thanks for all the help so far guys. I'm going to be ordering my lighting stuff within the next week.

Would a MH really be required for the veg stage? I have a shit ton of flouro's that i would like to use if possible. Then just pop them under an HPS when it gets time to change them.

That'd work, a lot of people choose to veg under flouro's.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom