Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMiss Penguin
Astrophysicist
Female

Loc: Antarctica
Re: The Stork Visits the Penguin Residence [Re: coda]
    #34839 - 05/20/08 12:38 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

How did you start the seedlings and how did you transplant them?

We started the seeds by putting them in a wet paper towel for about a day then we put them into the rock wool cubes (one started growing but did not shed its shell and died in this process). When they had their first set of leaves we put them into the hydro system with the nutrients Dr. Penguin talked about above.

As an update, Dr. Penguin (who is at work) thinks its an issue with the nutes and has advised me to drain the system and he will put in different nutes when he gets home.

--------------------
~ Miss Penguin ~

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Stork Visits the Penguin Residence [Re: Miss Penguin]
    #34854 - 05/20/08 01:53 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

first set of true leaves, or just the first set of one bladed leaves after a seedling sprouts? Generally, with seedlings, you don't need to give them much (if any) food for the first week or two of their lives. Once the seed leaves begin to die off, or, when the first set of true leaves comes in, should you start thinking about feeding them.

Another reason you may want to look into is damping off. It's pretty common in hydro grows and with those who use rockwool. Too damp of a media with poor airflow will cause this and it's like instant death to your plants.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Offlinejust me
GreenThumb
Male

Loc: MO/TX/FL/HI
    #34915 - 05/20/08 03:34 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:
first set of true leaves, or just the first set of one bladed leaves after a seedling sprouts? Generally, with seedlings, you don't need to give them much (if any) food for the first week or two of their lives. Once the seed leaves begin to die off, or, when the first set of true leaves comes in, should you start thinking about feeding them.

Another reason you may want to look into is damping off. It's pretty common in hydro grows and with those who use rockwool. Too damp of a media with poor airflow will cause this and it's like instant death to your plants.

yes yes and yes.

by too moist is my guesstimate.
its like tryin to grow in a swamp.

and no nutes yet. coda suggests after the seed leaves(the lil oval ones) die off, but that can still be b4 the first set of true leaves. id wait till after the first set of TRUE leaves are completely opened and big fans.

and you know not to give them beefed up nute amounts when theyre young right? gradually bump up nutes from hardly more than water, to full nute potential as the plant matures

GL , you have a gorgeous set up. make it work!!!

--------------------

-and for all your ETHNO SEEDS needs come see us @ www.freeseedring.nl

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Stork Visits the Penguin Residence [Re: just me]
    #35028 - 05/20/08 06:44 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

just me said:
by too moist is my guesstimate.
its like tryin to grow in a swamp.

Yeah, either from the moisture in the medium, the air, or both, it would definitely seem to be a humidity problem. As long as enough care is taken to ensure the cubes are watered enough, the humidity in the air could be 10%, nothing over 55%, and you'd still be fine. They need frequent air exchange. Also, I would think that germinating them in paper towels and then putting them to rockwool or whatever is an unnecessary, possibly counter-productive step.

--------------------

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Stork Visits the Penguin Residence [Re: just me]
    #35052 - 05/20/08 06:52 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

It looks like damping off. I may have had the water level in the buckets a bit to high and the rockwool could have been saturated. I changed the water out and replaced it with half seedling strength floranova nutes. The second suffering plant was quickly propped up and the rez change seemed to have perked her up. We will keep you updated!

--------------------
* My Cab
* How to Build a Grow Tent
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Not responsible for advice not taken.

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Stork Visits the Penguin Residence [Re: Dr. Penguin]
    #35104 - 05/20/08 07:23 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Good to hear you could make a save there, sorry for your other losses.

--------------------

OfflineMiss Penguin
Astrophysicist
Female

#39831 - 05/26/08 03:03 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Day 13:

In the picture:
Tub (in middle) with dead babies :frown:
Fan (on now empty bucket) to promote air flow and strengthen stems
Air Pump (suspended from wall)
Thermometer (hanging down)
Baffle (not so much, they're on top of it)
13 day old baby cheeses (Aegis, Pepper and MJ):cool:

--------------------
~ Miss Penguin ~

OfflineMFDoom666
trash hoarder
Male User Gallery

Loc: emerica
    #52347 - 06/06/08 10:24 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

time 4 an update.:borfase:

how they doin'?

--------------------

FurrowedBrow said:

They should teach african engineering at the college level.  mcgyver 101

Harry_Ba11sach said:

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

OfflineMiss Penguin
Astrophysicist
Female

Re: The Stork Visits the Penguin Residence [Re: MFDoom666]
    #52438 - 06/06/08 12:42 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

So very true MFDoom!

Pictures!

Day 19:

We added another air pump and re-arranged the DWC system and buckets into a three bucket assembly.  Hopefully Dr. Penguin will post more about the DWC system if I nag him enough when he gets home.

Day 23:

We switched their light cycle to be off from noon until 4pm (the hottest parts of the day here in Antarctica).  In 4 days they grew quite a bit! 

Sorry for the blurriness.  I like this picture because it shows their relative heights (listed below).
Ageis (left) - 6" (15.25 cm)
MJ (center) - 7" (17.78 cm)
Pepper (right) - 9.25" (23.5 cm)

As you can see, Ageis (the one on the left) is dwarfed, she had stem problems, kept falling over, thought she was a goner but she is now going strong just tinier.

I felt dirty taking this picture and prodding her underparts but the internodal spacing on one of the plants (MJ, center) is insanely small (seen here with a dime).  She is a fat little lady!

More about the cab:

From this picture you can see the baffle directly underneath the buckets, white caulk on the corner that joins the bottom and side panel and also some duck tape on the floor from the ghetto-rigged filter (duck taped vent filters) I put in over the hole in the bottom to block dirt and dust.

This picture shows the light assembly.  We attached an 8' chain to the light and lowered it down to the babies, we have not had to raise it yet but they're getting close.

The top of the cabinet which holds the ballast, fan and nutrients along with some other random stuff, you can also see the homemade carbon scrubber on top (behind a lamp), identifiable by my (very durable) purple and black striped Halloween stockings with which it was made.

Now for the part where we need help.

All of the girls are showing these brown spots on their first and second sets of leaves.  Are the leaves just dying naturally or is this something more serious? I have a feeling it is the latter.

--------------------
~ Miss Penguin ~

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #52454 - 06/06/08 01:26 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Hmmm, to me that looks like nutrient solution got splashed on the leaves.  Did you use any neem oil at all?  If the oil gets left on the leaves that will burn the shit out of them too.  I'll flip through some diagnosis pictures and see if i can't find something to match that.

On a side note, how hot does the upper portion of your cabinet get (where you store the nutes)?  The only reason i ask is because you want to store your nutes in a relatively cool place.  If you cabinet gets hot, especially because heat rises, those bottles may mold over on your pretty quickly.  If it stays nice and cool up there though it's not a big deal.

--------------------

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

#52459 - 06/06/08 01:40 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

those brown spots are definitely indicative of some sort of problem.

there's something about the top leaves that seems off to me too.  but i know nothing about indoor nute solns :shrug:

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root"
~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root
                                                                                      :gethigh:

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Stork Visits the Penguin Residence [Re: Yrat]
    #52463 - 06/06/08 02:03 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

http://www.growery.org/forums/files/g08-23/277600000-day_19.jpg

the plant in the middle of this pic is showing signs of a micro nutrient problem.  Most likely a deficiency.  The yellowing of the newer growth is indicative of that.

--------------------

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #52498 - 06/06/08 03:57 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

We're using GH floranova nutes, which I hear are pretty good. If this does indeed turn out to be a micro nutrient problem, could I just add a bit of GH Flora Micro to fix this up?

Our ph is rising pretty quickly on us, from ~5.4 to 6 in three days. I add 2 ml of ph down about every other day to account for this. Is this alot of ph down? Could I be causing a phosphorus burn of some sort?

Thanks everyone!

--------------------
* My Cab
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #52523 - 06/06/08 04:37 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

We're using GH floranova nutes, which I hear are pretty good. If this does indeed turn out to be a micro nutrient problem, could I just add a bit of GH Flora Micro to fix this up?

first determine exactly what's causing the deficiency.  If it really just isn't getting enough micros then an application of micros formula will help.  If your micros are being locked out due to a PH problem or something you need to correct that first, then apply a micros formula.

Quote:

Our ph is rising pretty quickly on us, from ~5.4 to 6 in three days. I add 2 ml of ph down about every other day to account for this. Is this alot of ph down?

hmmmm, i dunno about a lot, but it leaves me wondering why your Ph is fluctuating so much.

--------------------

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #52636 - 06/06/08 08:19 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

The Ph isn't fluctuating, just reverting to the Ph of the original water source (~7). I check my Ph religiously, I don't think that it is the cause of the current dilemma.

I have checked into a couple guides looking for pictures of micro nutrient deficiency and can't find a match for our current situation. Do you have any helpful resources as to finding the cause to this?

--------------------
* My Cab
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #52688 - 06/06/08 09:34 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/10287#Post10287

that may help you a bit, read the sections on Zn (zinc), Fe (iron), and Mg (magnesium).

the thing to realized when diagnosing problems is what areas of the plant it's affecting.  New growth is signs of an immobile nutrient problem, older growth is a sign of a mobile nutrient problem.

--------------------

OfflineMiss Penguin
Astrophysicist
Female

Day 28: Bitches in Bondage [Re: Miss Penguin]
    #55951 - 06/11/08 08:32 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Day 28: Bitches in Bondage

The separate plants are hard to see now because Dr. Penguin topped two plants (center and right) and has been tying down some branches possibly in lieu or in addition to a Scrog, this has yet to be determined.  He tied down the central leader and the lateral branches on the tallest plant the one now in the middle (Pepper) and one lateral branch on the plant on the right (MJ) that was growing too quickly towards the light. 

I do not have the greenest of thumbs so I asked the good Doctor how he knew which branches to tie down and where he said "You take the high ones and make them low.  We are trying to create an even canopy."  He tied a tie around each bucket and put some eye hooks and ties along the sides of the cabinet as anchors.  Here are some pictures (I appologize for the fingers) :ooo:

--------------------
~ Miss Penguin ~

Edited by Miss Penguin (06/11/08 08:45 PM)

OfflineStorkOfLife
The Stork of Life
Male

Loc: its serious
Re: Day 28: Bitches in Bondage [Re: Miss Penguin]
    #57142 - 06/13/08 09:05 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

i believe im the stork here thank you:albundy:

--------------------
Im a Stork and it turns you on. period.

Offlinesittingbull137
Male User Gallery

Loc: atx
Re: Day 28: Bitches in Bondage [Re: StorkOfLife]
    #57593 - 06/14/08 09:48 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

looking good

keep it up:thumbup:

OfflineMiss Penguin
Astrophysicist
Female

Day 43: [Re: sittingbull137]
    #66801 - 06/26/08 03:34 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Since we first started putting our girls in bondage we have done little more except more bondage (and 2 rez changes).  They've started growing very quickly and are less fat and stumpy than before.  Through a lot of training (though they probably could have used more) we have kept them at a manageable height within the cab and filled the entire space with their many branches and off shoots.  They have just started to show buds.  Here are some pictures....

A Full Cab                                          Bud!

We have had some strange leaf patterns from these feminized seeds, here is one example.

We also have some interveinal bleaching on one particular offshoot of one of the plants that granted was close to the light.  Can an excess of light or closeness to the light cause this?

Thanks to all for the help and encouragement!

--------------------
~ Miss Penguin ~

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck