Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Making a living with MMJ...
    #520311 - 01/28/11 03:22 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

My wife and I just got our medical cards, and now we're starting to save up for the equipment we need. I'm not going to do this half-assed, because I feel I can make this into a living if I do it right. In Washington, they allow 15 plants per patient, and the county we live in allow 3 patients to grow in one residence. So between us and out roommate, we've got up to 45 plants.

We're planning on starting out with 40 clones and throwing them straight into the bud cycle for a SOG (using 5 of the 45 allowed for mothers). I'm pretty sure these will be fine under a 1k light in a 4x4 tent, but as we've only ever helped friends with their grows (and this was only for about a month), and never done one of our own, I'm wondering if this is enough room and light.

I'm pretty sure that once we've done three or four harvests, we should be able to be putting out a good product, and we will re-coup the expenses of the light, tent and everything else. Once we've done that, we want to get another 1k light and 4x4 tent, and put one plant in it, to veg out under a scrog until it fills the tent and we kick it into bud. I'm hoping this way we can experiment with growing some monsters, while still having the SOG that we know will be good...

So basically, I have three questions...
1. Will a 1k watt HID light and a 4x4 tent be enough for 40 clones in a SOG?
2. How long (on avarage) would I want to veg a plant in order for it to fill a 4x4 tent?
3. Would I be able to pull a pound plant in a 4x4 tent with a 1k light (given adequate veg time), or am I being overly optimistic?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Making a living with MMJ... [Re: Tank333]
    #520402 - 01/28/11 06:57 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

1. Will a 1k watt HID light and a 4x4 tent be enough for 40 clones in a SOG?

Depends on how big you want the plants and what strain your growing and so on.

These had no veg time. This is a 4x8 space with 2 1000watters

Quote:

How long (on avarage) would I want to veg a plant in order for it to fill a 4x4 tent?

Hydro or soil? What strain?

Quote:

3. Would I be able to pull a pound plant in a 4x4 tent with a 1k light (given adequate veg time), or am I being overly optimistic?

Yeah it can be done but it won't be easy and your gonna have to be pretty lucky to pull it off. By the time you get a pound with one plant the same space in the same time could do 4 pounds with multiple plants. :happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Re: Making a living with MMJ... [Re: Magash]
    #520534 - 01/28/11 10:23 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

We're going to be using hempy buckets for the medium, we have 5 feminized Swiss Cheese seeds that we got from nirvana, so we're gonna use those as the mothers for the SOG. When we start with the monster plans, we'll probably use a different strain, but that's up in the air ATM... I have a few friends that grow their own, so I have a selection to choose from.

In that example of Sweet 16 I keep drooling over all the time, what kind of a yeild do you expect off each plant? And what's the budding time on those?

Would it be more effective to keep 4 or 5 mothers and just cut 40 clones every 2 and a half months? I had thought it would be more efficient the other way around, having monsters each in their own tent and being harvested every 7-10 days... yea, it takes more room, and more lights, but overall I thought you'd end up yeilding more in the long run...

Edited by Tank333 (01/28/11 10:45 PM)

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #520654 - 01/29/11 02:47 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

The budding time is 8 weeks and 1/2 oz per each plant on average. The strain is breed by myself just for the purpose of growing in SOG grows. Far as I know I'm the only one who has bred a strain specifically for this purpose.

The larger plant method the way you have it would use more room, light, but not more weed in the long run. Outdoors maybe but not inside. :potleaf:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

InvisiblePandor

#520714 - 01/29/11 12:03 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Hey Magash, I have read that letting plants touch each other will stress them? Is this true? Or does it apply more to big plants then SOG?

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Making a living with MMJ... [Re: Pandor]
    #520718 - 01/29/11 12:18 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Letting then block light from one another may stress them a little but having them touch doesn't do a thing to em large or small.

--------------------

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

#520739 - 01/29/11 02:32 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
The budding time is 8 weeks and 1/2 oz per each plant on average. The strain is breed by myself just for the purpose of growing in SOG grows. Far as I know I'm the only one who has bred a strain specifically for this purpose.

The larger plant method the way you have it would use more room, light, but not more weed in the long run. Outdoors maybe but not inside. :potleaf:

I understand that the larger plant method would take more light and more space, but if I've got the room, then why not? Would it be more productive to put say 3 plants in that same 4x4 tent, instead of going for one REALLY big one?

Its always been my understanding that a SOG was best when time and/or space is an issue. I had figured your yeild would increase exponentially (to a point, at least), the longer you allowed your plants to veg and get bigger... is this not so? I mean, say you spend 8 weeks vegging out one plant, then kick it into bud where it takes another 8 weeks. You'd expect to yeild WAY more than an oz, wouldn't you??

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #520753 - 01/29/11 03:09 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

The tops of the plants are the most productive part indoors. With huge plants the bottoms of the plants are gonna be full of small buds cause you don't have the light penetration. With the spikes like I have in the pic the entire budding area of the plant is covered in light. 

Quote:

Would it be more productive to put say 3 plants in that same 4x4 tent, instead of going for one REALLY big one?

Yes

Quote:

Its always been my understanding that a SOG was best when time and/or space is an issue. I had figured your yeild would increase exponentially (to a point, at least), the longer you allowed your plants to veg and get bigger... is this not so? I mean, say you spend 8 weeks vegging out one plant, then kick it into bud where it takes another 8 weeks. You'd expect to yeild WAY more than an oz, wouldn't you??

Yeah a big plant will yield more bud then a small one indoors or out. Indoors though a bunch of small plants will yield more then a big plant in the same space.
Outdoors you can have a plant give you 3 lbs. Indoors the same plant won't even be 1/3 as much. Outdoors the light that hits the bottom of the plant is the exact same as the light hitting the top of the plant. Indoors the light at the bottom of the plant is not even close to the light hitting the top of it. You want to keep as much of the bud as close to the light as possible which is easier to do with multiple small plants then a few big ones. :potleaf:

--------------------

Offlinedmtcorey
~The time police~
 User Gallery

#520769 - 01/29/11 04:04 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

SOG=:brilliant:

--------------------
:whereismiddleman:

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Re: Making a living with MMJ... [Re: dmtcorey]
    #520775 - 01/29/11 04:18 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Given the same space, sure, SOG would win out... but if I'm going to keep within my legal limit of plants, I can't have a whole lot of em... so I figured that a rotating cycle would work better... say you have 10 tents, each with a 1k light and 4 plants (add 5 mothers, and that's my max), and you're harvesting one of those tents every 10 to 14 days. Wouldn't that yeild more in the long run than if I just did the 8 week SOG of 40 plants?

Of course, it would take WAY more lights, tents, electricity and money, but I'm pretty sure it would be worth it in the end... besides, if I pitch it right, I might not have to pay for any of it; I might be able to get a patient I know to foot the bill...

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #520781 - 01/29/11 04:38 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Given the same space, sure, SOG would win out... but if I'm going to keep within my legal limit of plants, I can't have a whole lot of em... so I figured that a rotating cycle would work better... say you have 10 tents, each with a 1k light and 4 plants (add 5 mothers, and that's my max), and you're harvesting one of those tents every 10 to 14 days. Wouldn't that yeild more in the long run than if I just did the 8 week SOG of 40 plants?

No, with the set up your talking about you would just about be paying cost for the weed.

You may also want to find out what it would cost to run 10 tents with a 1k light in each. Your looking at at least 3000 a month in electricity. (actually it would be more)

Quote:

say you have 10 tents, each with a 1k light and 4 plants (add 5 mothers, and that's my max), and you're harvesting one of those tents every 10 to 14 days.

With what that would cost to run you might as well just buy the weed. :potleaf:

--------------------

Invisiblec99hunter
 User Gallery
    #520815 - 01/29/11 05:21 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

10,000 watts all in tents?! :shocked: a 10,000 watt gow is a HUGE grow dude, like magash said, electricity alone would kill you.

Offlinedmtcorey
~The time police~
 User Gallery

Re: Making a living with MMJ... [Re: c99hunter]
    #520913 - 01/29/11 06:30 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

i think starting with the one light and using the funds from the first harvest to up grade to the next harvest and then so on would be the be the best way to understand what it would take to get to your goal,you could start sog then morph it to maybe some kind of short bushy bonsai sog with 10 000 watts,then you get to see the whole story from the inside out ~

--------------------
:whereismiddleman:

Edited by dmtcorey (01/29/11 06:35 PM)

Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

#520967 - 01/29/11 07:59 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Magash, what size pots do you generally use for your SOGs?

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Making a living with MMJ... [Re: kyuzo]
    #520978 - 01/29/11 08:15 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

One gallon :ganja:

--------------------

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Re: Making a living with MMJ... [Re: c99hunter]
    #520988 - 01/29/11 08:35 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
You may also want to find out what it would cost to run 10 tents with a 1k light in each. Your looking at at least 3000 a month in electricity. (actually it would be more)

Quote:

say you have 10 tents, each with a 1k light and 4 plants (add 5 mothers, and that's my max), and you're harvesting one of those tents every 10 to 14 days.

With what that would cost to run you might as well just buy the weed. :potleaf:

As far as I can tell, we're paying $0.058 per kw/h. Now, unless I've done my math wrong, that comes out to $13.92 per day, assuming they're all on 24 hrs a day. Only half of them will be, but considering the fans and everything else that it'll be running to keep the place operational, it'll be about that, maybe even as much as $15 per day... but I don't think that cost is as prohibitive as you're thinking...

Not saying you're wrong for where YOU are at, Magash.  Washington provides a lot of the power California uses, so naturally you'd pay more for it there than I would here. Not sure if that was somthing you'd considered... I'm living right between a nuclear plant and three or four dams, not to mention all the wind turbines along the columbia gorge... now, if I'm right about the elecricity, would it still be your opinion that it wouldn't be worth it for me?

Quote:

c99hunter said:
10,000 watts all in tents?! :shocked: a 10,000 watt gow is a HUGE grow dude, like magash said, electricity alone would kill you.

I know it's huge, man. The title of the thread should have let you know that I want to go all out with this. Haha. I'm almost positive this will take me a year or three to really start making money at this... but once it gets good... oooh boy...

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #521119 - 01/30/11 02:07 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Well you seem to have your mind set but I've been at this indoors since 1985 and I'm willing to bet every thing I have that the way your planning isn't going to work very efficiently. Good luck though. :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

#521169 - 01/30/11 09:57 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Well crap, that sucks... I don't mean to seem "set on this". I've just spent a lot of time tossing it around in my head, and I'm trying to get the best opinions on it I can... I know there's GOT to be a way for me to make good money at this though. Otherwise you would never hear about the huge illegal warehouse grows that get busted, and no one would ever grow it for commercial sale... with 45 plants I feel that I should be able to at least come close to making 100k a year... yea, it would probably take as much room as an entire double wide trailer, but if the results are good, its worth it, right?

Quote:

dmtcorey said:
i think starting with the one light and using the funds from the first harvest to up grade to the next harvest and then so on would be the be the best way to understand what it would take to get to your goal,you could start sog then morph it to maybe some kind of short bushy bonsai sog with 10 000 watts,then you get to see the whole story from the inside out ~

This is essentially what I was plannin on doing... do the sog till I've re-couped my expenses, and then start by buying one or two at a time, of the tents and lights, and start growing the monsters (while the sog is still going with the rest of the plants). I'm not too sure what you meant by the "short bushy bonsai sog" though... do you mean lst'ing the sog?? Because in growing these monsters, it would probably entail a combination of lst and scrog to train em the way I want em to grow...

So, anyone else have any thoughts on this? I've already received the advice of one of the people on here I respect the most, but I'm sure there's plenty of people on here who've at least WANTED to do something this big... anyone at all? I just want to get as much input on this that I can...

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #521175 - 01/30/11 10:06 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Remember when adding up the expenses to add in electrical supplies. For a huge grow it's gonna take a complete rewire of the rooms that are to be grown in. My gardens are 8000 watts each and those needed complete rewires or the standard wiring will look like toaster wires when you fire up the system even if only half the lights run at one time. :potleaf:

--------------------

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

#521182 - 01/30/11 10:12 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

That is something I've taken into consideration. Where we are at now, the wiring can handle 2, MAYBE 3 tents w/lights and fans.

I have my eye on a peice of property with a 4k square foot shed that would be perfect for my long term goals, imo. It doesn't have ANY electricity in it yet, so I'll have to pay to have that installed. That is a good thing though, since I'll know exactly what kind of load it can handle...

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds