Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDoc Weedman
Stranger
Need assistance with a design
    #500814 - 11/25/10 02:11 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Hello all,
This is my first post.I have been reading/lurking for a while this is a great site.I am helping a good friend set up his grow room.
We have soom questions.He doesnt have alot of cash and asked me for help.The closet is 8 ft long by 3 feet wide and has a 2 large sliding
doors in front. The left side will have a 3 ft by 2 ft hydroponic "tub" that the plants will be bud in with a 400/600 watt light will hang above for 12 hours,then on the other end in a 2 ft x 2ft space there will be another section where the mother plants will be kept.Above there will be 3 / 2 ft flouresant 30 watt bulbs for a total of 90 watts for 18 hours.
If the side where there were 18 hours of light(vegatative side) were to "bleed" a small amount of light (very small amount) would this be an issue or affect the 12hour budding side? any thoughts you may have would be appreciated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejkell
Midnight toker

Loc: Don' worry bout it
Re: Need assistance with a design [Re: Doc Weedman]
    #500835 - 11/25/10 03:46 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

theres no way you can patch the crack so light doesn't bleed out? If its a very small amount of light that would bleed out sounds like a small amount of duct tape could solve the problem? Just a thought

OfflineEro42oH2o
master of the bush
 User Gallery

Re: Need assistance with a design [Re: jkell]
    #501143 - 11/27/10 10:31 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Yes, light leaks fuck shit up.

Seal the closet behind the sliders because the sliders will cause problems.
Sterilize because closets suck balls.
Seal the fuck out of your enclosure unless you like spindly, possible seeded weed.

Good ideas

Can't you just buy a warehouse!!!!!!!!!!
just kidding :bobmarley:

--------------------
All of the statements and posts I make or have made are fake. I just found all the pictures and copied and pasted them here. I am in no way associated with any of the materials discussed here. I'm just bored, and lame.

OfflineDoc Weedman
Stranger

Re: Need assistance with a design [Re: Ero42oH2o]
    #501192 - 11/27/10 02:42 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

what do tou mean steralize..How for what?What if I have a very strong
ozone generator

OfflineEro42oH2o
master of the bush
 User Gallery

#501214 - 11/27/10 03:18 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

ozone fucks up the plants
people set up a room to run ozone in
not directly in a growing room

I sterilize with bleach.
1 oz per gal of h2o in a mixture in a sprayer. Then spray all the walls, floors, etc.....

Before I start a grow
During any problems
or between crops.

Just a very good habit to get in, saves you time and money down the road.

--------------------
All of the statements and posts I make or have made are fake. I just found all the pictures and copied and pasted them here. I am in no way associated with any of the materials discussed here. I'm just bored, and lame.

OfflineAnnom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Trusted Cultivator
    #501468 - 11/28/10 03:16 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

A small amount of light is no problem, they also flower with Moon light in nature, but nothing a but of duct tape can't fix. Don't be sloppy and you will be al right.

OfflineEro42oH2o
master of the bush
 User Gallery

Re: Need assistance with a design [Re: Annom]
    #501480 - 11/28/10 04:18 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

wispy

--------------------

Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

Loc: West Coast
Re: Need assistance with a design [Re: Ero42oH2o]
    #501523 - 11/28/10 07:06 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I say no light, just to be safe.

OfflineDoc Weedman
Stranger

Re: Need assistance with a design [Re: muse42]
    #501547 - 11/29/10 12:28 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks very much for all of your replies. We have moved the veg room to his OTHER closet so no more light leaks(grin).Plus the heat will be easier to manage at least in the veg grow room. He lives in a 12 story building do you think a scrubber is required? Someone told him to run the scrubber fan and pull through the HPS housing and then to the scrubbers so to cool the bulb also?? The only issue is there is no way to run the exaust out of the house. Will heat be an issue? The ac is on 8months out of the year at 75degrees and then the other months the windows are open.

He is using 8000 lumens with the t5 4 bulb setup in the veg and mother room,its real bright and runs cool for such a small footprint(imo). How long do you wait until you put it to flower? I have read two feet anythoughts? I have read many posts on here is 8k lumens enough to use in the vegatative growth. We have watched videos from greenman as well as reading alot and everyone seems to have a different opinion. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

DW:-0

Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

#501720 - 11/29/10 07:14 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

You can flower at any time when you grow indoors. It just depends on how tall you want your plants and if you are going to train them.  They grow anywhere from 2-4 times there size after you force flower them.  It depends on the strain and conditions of your grow.

Are you using bag seed or did you buy seeds?
How much space do you have to work with in terms of how tall your plants can get?

OfflineDoc Weedman
Stranger

#501803 - 11/30/10 01:00 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for your response. I have plenty of room upward but I am working with a closet that is 8 l x 8h x 4 d but the growth area is actually 4 x 2 x 8h inside of the larger space. I am very very concerned about heat and I am at a confusing point. I want to get a 400/600 digital ballast but I think the heat will be way high.also in the closet I have a dehumidifier that cycles off and on and it puts out alot of heat also. I could put the dehumidifier outside of the closet but it will not be as efficient. I was thinking of a 250 watt digital ballast but I dont want to give up growth and yield. There is an a/c vent directly above the closet and I was thinking of opening a hole so the a/c cools the closet but will the smell and heat go into the ducts when the a/c cycles off? I dont want to overheat the rest of the house with heat and smell. Do you have any thoughts? I am going to buy a inline fan connected to a carbon scrubber but I have a question I already own a high quality hepa filter with quality carbon filter in my room as well as ozone generator. I have alot of medical issues and need clean air that is not tainted will this be good to take care of smell or will the carbon scrubber be much more efficent as well as it will cool down the bulb also and I was thinking of venting into my large bedroom or possibly out a window but not sure how stealthy that will be????Basically the closet is far away from the window and the opening the hole into the a/c or venting into my room is the only thing that I can think of. I have no way to access an output to the roof or attic whatsoever. Thanks for anything you all can suggest!!!

OfflineDoc Weedman
Stranger

#501804 - 11/30/10 01:03 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Sorry I forgot I bought seeds from a seed bank.

OfflineAnnom
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #501826 - 11/30/10 04:14 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

What are the inlet air temperatures during the year? Is the closet well isolated?

You can keep temperature down, but you will need a fan or fans. I would definitely use a carbon filter before you blow the air in your room or outside. Good airflow is one of the most important design aspects.

OfflineDoc Weedman
Stranger

#501942 - 11/30/10 12:09 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I am in the state of Texas way down south so we usually have the a/c on 80% of the year so the house is 77daytime and we like it cold at night 73% from 10pm till 11am..I definitely will be getting carbon scrubber. as I said I use ozone anywhere from 400-800 mg on a timer in my room and also have an Austin hepa/carbon filter on 24/7 it works well.

My main concern is the heat from the 400 hid/digital,The footprint of my top box is 2ft by 2 ft filled with hydroton so I guess I will be able to fit 4 large or maybe 8sog in that box and thats all she wrote.
I was actually thinking of going to a 2 x4 box in the future if all works well.I have no where to vent heat except into my room maybe I would set the time from 11 to 11 as to get the 73degrees a/c but my room could get toasty grin
Will a 250 HID do a GREAT job in a 2 x 2 or 2 x 4 setting? I want big big great buds and from what I have read you need at least a 400 am I correct??

OfflineAnnom
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #501956 - 11/30/10 01:49 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

73 F is fine. Use the lights at night. It is fine to vent heat in your room if you use a carbon filter. Does it need to be silent?

How much light do you need? http://www.growery.org/2813/How-much-light-do-I-need

250 W will do for a 2x2 box, but for "big big great" buds you best have a 3x3 area per 600 W and very good airflow. 250 W in 2x2 or 400 W in 2x4 could still give great results.

OfflineDoc Weedman
Stranger

#502675 - 12/02/10 07:10 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Hey Anon thanks for your feedback. I am going to buy a 600 watt bulb and digital ballast and use it in my 2 x 2 area will that work fantastic? I am just concerned about the heat issues.Is a 600 way hotter than a 400?? And can you describe what the difference in quality size and all aspects of the finished product using a 600 over a 400?? is it really that important for 200 more?

Thanks again

OfflineAnnom
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #502748 - 12/03/10 03:32 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

600 W will probably get way too hot in a 2x2 ft space, but it all depends on your airflow. Even 400 W is a lot for such a small area.

The number of watts (W) is the power (heat+light generated per second) of the light. So 800 W is equal to 2 400 W lights. 600 W is 1.5x 400 W, so yes it will get a lot hotter (which means you will need a larger fan). 

Don't worry too much about the finished product when selecting lights. You can get also get a great product with 250 W. You can basically place a 250 W at a height so that the intensity at the tops is equal to a 600 W, you will just cover a smaller area. You have a small area so a 250 W would be fine. Again, see link in my previous post.

OfflineDoc Weedman
Stranger

#502868 - 12/03/10 06:41 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

So your saying that if I use a 250 watt the OVERALL QUALITY will be AS GOOD as a plant raised with 400 and or 600? From all my research I dont think thats accurate??Am I wrong?

Also I have decided to ad to the room a Vortex Premium 6 inch with approx 400 cfms going thru the sealed fan thru a phresh 6 x 16 carbon scrubber and then being exausted into my room and or out somewhere. This should really help, I just have not figured where it starts out and where it finishes(grin).

I also have one more question, If I have good air turnover what if I dont use CO2 with a tank and just supplement CO2 lightly. Would I be accurate if I said that this would only slow down the overall growth by 20%?? Please feel free to answer this. I dont really know what part CO2 plays if all of my other building blocks are in place and this is the only one thats lacking

Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

#502874 - 12/03/10 06:59 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

The quality and quantity will not be as good(in my opinion mostly quantity).
CO2 depends on the temps you will be running.  I don't think you can quantify not using CO2 with a percentage.  Your small space may not even need CO2 with the amount of air exchange you will have.

OfflineDoc Weedman
Stranger

#502893 - 12/03/10 09:10 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks very much for everyones help. I am going to GIVE it a shot with 600 watt Hps super hortilux, Lumatek digital and super sun 2 sealed hood over a 2 x 3 ebb and flow homemade unit. I will also have a vorte 440 cfm and

I forgot to ad that I made 4 2 gallon co2 generators out of sugar and yeast. I have got to tell you each 2 gallon unit puts out about 100 bubbles a minute. So the co2 is pretty good I think. I will update you on he heat issue this whole experiment might not work because of the heat we shall see. I hope my tomatoes will be juicy and big...

DOC

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom