Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Loc: Hawaiian Islands Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: *Discussion 2 - 03/02/2010 - The Germination Process and Techniques* [Re: Crusty Ass Bastard]
    #387754 - 03/21/10 01:20 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Somebody got the wires crossed somewhere.
Quote:

206 said:
Quote:

lampshadehelmet said:
A word of caution on germinating seeds... having extra rapid rooter plugs sitting around I decided to use them rather than throw them out(used to clone in them switched to aero).

The seeds failed miserably at pushing their way out of the plugs and most coiled up into a ball of tap root and died without ever emerging. The ones that did break surface ended up dying as well due to the root not being able to grow properly.

This was a fresh bag of plugs and I have used them to clone before, but suggest never attempting to germinate in them. I managed to save a few by ripping them out of the plugs and placing in dirt.

I agree, plugs are more difficult to grow seeds in because they get waterlogged so easily. I think coda uses them and I know a couple other experienced growers that do, but for a newbie starting out they should be avoided.

Obviously we are talking about 2 different things here. Rapid rooter plugs and peat plugs. I was curious about the rapid rooter plugs for seeds starts. A friend just picked up a bag of rapid rooter plugs and was going to try it. So got me interested in the discussion, but Coda obvioulsy only uses peat pellets?

--------------------

:guns: Don't Mistake My Kindness For Weakness :guns:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineUnion420
Horticulturist

Loc: New World
Re: *Discussion 2 - 03/02/2010 - The Germination Process and Techniques* [Re: SpaceMonkey]
    #387776 - 03/21/10 01:48 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I use rapid rooters for clones and germ but only after the paper towel thing, I like them, I acctually switched from peat plugs to them and I like them alot better, and there much better than rockwool too IMO. There easier to keep an even moisture level imo, peat pellets seem to get too soggy and fall apart much easier, especially when transplanting into net pots with hydroton then creating clogs and debris in hydropoinic systems.

Out of the bag I squeeze them out then put 5ml of water on them, which when placed into a terrarium the moisture stays with them for a long time neither being too wet or drying out too fast. I dont germ directly in them altho you can but sometimes they do get stuck and wont emerge, not often does this happen tho. Ive tryed peat pellets, rockwool and rapid rooters, I like them alot, very good for cloning as well.

--------------------
Everything is fictional, I dont even exist.

OfflineDieselB
High Watt Closet
Male

Re: *Discussion 2 - 03/02/2010 - The Germination Process and Techniques* [Re: Union420]
    #387826 - 03/21/10 04:05 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Are you guys talking about the Jiffy peat pellets? I have absolutely no problems using these.. They have a net around them so I don't know how they would be falling apart.. What I do for the water content, is let them soak in warm water (absorbs faster) for a few minutes until saturated. Then I give them a gentle squeeze, top to bottom and the water content is perfect. Think "field capacity" if you're familiar with shroomin'.

--------------------
If you ain't smokin' dro, you're smokin' reggie. :shrug:

OfflineUnion420
Horticulturist

Loc: New World
Re: *Discussion 2 - 03/02/2010 - The Germination Process and Techniques* [Re: DieselB]
    #388991 - 03/23/10 07:30 PM (14 years, 29 days ago)

Yea, thats what im talking about. I used them for a while, there not terrible but rapids are better. What I meant by falling apart is when you put them into net pots especially, after constant flooding and draining they deform and fall apart, not copletely and not 100% of the time but they do, again, not terrible but can become a pain as there just not as "neat" as say rockwool or rapid rooters. There decient as far as price and they can be used succesfully but to me they dont live up to my standards, I dont hate em tho.

--------------------
Everything is fictional, I dont even exist.

InvisibleCid_Lives
Shhhhh
Male

Re: *Discussion 2 - 03/02/2010 - The Germination Process and Techniques* [Re: coda]
    #474642 - 09/09/10 02:29 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:
Yah, get some heat on those seeds.  Room temp is usually still too cold.

Bumping an old thread, but I still have a question. The room that I have my seeds germinating in is reading around 87 deg F. I know it's too hot for proper plant growth, but what about germination? They are in rapid rooter plugs in a terrarium underneath a basic floro.

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Trusted Cultivator
Re: *Discussion 2 - 03/02/2010 - The Germination Process and Techniques* [Re: Cid_Lives]
    #474797 - 09/09/10 07:39 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

FurrowedBrow said:
Properly nurtured seeds germinate in two to seven days, in temperatures from 70-90F.....Cannabis seeds grow best at 78*.

You are concerned about it being too warm?  When I see ranges like that presented i usually assume it's a bell curve with the center positions being optimal.  That's just a generalization I usually make in my head when seeing any ranges though.  If 78 is optimal i would say try to lower your temp a bit if you can.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

InvisibleCid_Lives
Shhhhh
Male

Re: *Discussion 2 - 03/02/2010 - The Germination Process and Techniques* [Re: Cid_Lives]
    #475019 - 09/10/10 09:56 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Cid_Lives said:
Quote:

coda said:

Bumping an old thread, but I still have a question. The room that I have my seeds germinating in is reading around 87 deg F. I know it's too hot for proper plant growth, but what about germination? They are in rapid rooter plugs in a terrarium underneath a basic floro.

InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

Loc: Devils Marbles Flag
    #475025 - 09/10/10 10:07 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Cid_Lives said:
Quote:

Cid_Lives said:
Quote:

coda said:

Quote:

FurrowedBrow said:
If 78 is optimal i would say try to lower your temp a bit if you can.

But yes, it will be fine.

--------------------

InvisibleCid_Lives
Shhhhh
Male

Re: *Discussion 2 - 03/02/2010 - The Germination Process and Techniques* [Re: T-Rex]
    #475126 - 09/10/10 02:00 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Oh, I must have read that response wrong earlier. I am hungover pretty bad. Thanks.

OfflineShotgun
45 goin
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington State
Re: *Discussion 2 - 03/02/2010 - The Germination Process and Techniques* [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #548976 - 04/21/11 08:43 AM (13 years, 20 hours ago)

so, I am germinating using rockwool in a bag on top of my fridge. works great apperently. The sprouts popped up early 4/20 after only 4 days of germination. when do I move them into my  hydro system? once roots emerge?

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: *Discussion 2 - 03/02/2010 - The Germination Process and Techniques* [Re: Shotgun]
    #549026 - 04/21/11 03:13 PM (13 years, 13 hours ago)

Once you see the cotelydons (two small rounded leaves, aka "seed leaves").  You should be transplanting them.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Offlineskeeter420
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: *Discussion 2 - 03/02/2010 - The Germination Process and Techniques* [Re: coda]
    #558547 - 05/26/11 12:43 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Can SOMEONE just inform me on the easiest simplest way to germinate seeds, and fast.
My very first grow, a weed seed was put onto my beer pong table, and after a night of playing, water was all on the table, and was left there for either 1 or 2 days i cant remember, and when we came back it had germinated and sprouted. So we put it in soil. So i've technically never germinated seeds, and :mjdance:  just need a quick easy way cause i've already got seeds.

--------------------

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Trusted Cultivator
Re: *Discussion 2 - 03/02/2010 - The Germination Process and Techniques* [Re: skeeter420]
    #558582 - 05/26/11 01:55 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I can't help but wonder if it took you longer to type all that out than what would have been spent if you had just read the first post.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds