Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
Re: First timer. Critique my germination process and my veg room. [Re: Pandor]
    #511916 - 01/08/11 01:44 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Pandor said:
Thanks so much Magash, maryanne3087, and everyone.

I'm on a second read of "The Bible" by Cervantes, I've read 2 other books, and I watch videos all the time, but you guys really help the most. Simple questions like the one about the dome are not addressed there. I really appreciate your input.

White Rhino and one Church went in today.

Thanks again. Going to start a grow log as soon as I have more pictures.

Reading Marijuana Horticulture Grower Bible by Jorge Cervantes without having prior experience could put you back more than it puts you forward. There's a lot of inaccurate information in the  book, most of the inaccuracies aren't things that would ruin a grow but I don't think it's good to learn things that aren't factual.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePandor

Re: First timer. Critique my germination process and my veg room. [Re: maryanne3087]
    #511957 - 01/08/11 02:41 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

maryanne3087 said:
Quote:

Pandor said:
Thanks so much Magash, maryanne3087, and everyone.

I'm on a second read of "The Bible" by Cervantes, I've read 2 other books, and I watch videos all the time, but you guys really help the most. Simple questions like the one about the dome are not addressed there. I really appreciate your input.

White Rhino and one Church went in today.

Thanks again. Going to start a grow log as soon as I have more pictures.

Reading Marijuana Horticulture Grower Bible by Jorge Cervantes without having prior experience could put you back more than it puts you forward. There's a lot of inaccurate information in the  book, most of the inaccuracies aren't things that would ruin a grow but I don't think it's good to learn things that aren't factual.

I'm trying not to use that as my only source. I learn more searching the forums and asking. But as far as books go, there does not seem to be many good ones written on marijuana horticulture. I have a few others but they really aren't worth mentioning because they all seem to be shorter, similar versions of Cervantes book.

In the "Seeds" section of that book, under the topic, "Seedlings", he says the compact fluorescent should be 12-18 inches away from the seedlings. Do you agree with that? I ask because to me that seems very close. Right now they are about 2.5 feet away from the light. Should I move them?

And how big should they be before I put a little fan on them to strengthen them? An inch or so? I already have a small top and bottom ventilation fan, but it's my understanding that they will need another to push them around a little bit to make the environment more like outdoors and to make them stronger. I only ask about this because I worry about drying them out.

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
    #511964 - 01/08/11 03:04 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

A fan is more to move air/co2 around the leaves so the leaves have a fresh supply of co2. There is benefit from strengthening stems but indoors it's minimal since we pack our plants together fairly tight and they won't be moving around once they put on a certain amount of weight.

So to answer your question better, so long as the leaves are moving from the fan that's enough in room circulation. You also want to have fresh air coming into your room I change the volume of air in my room every minute along with having 5 circulation fans in my 12x12' room which I rearrange as I see fit.

The distance you put your plants from the light is to preventing burning from heat. CFLs are not very hot at all, they create more heat than HPS bulbs per watt but CFLS are generally low wattage and their shape seems to let them shed heat well. I don't personally use CFLs at all but I do use florescent lights (tube) now and then for seedlings and I keep them less than 3 inches away. If you see burning of the foliage you know you're too close, unless you turn your plant into a crispy turd it will just set you back a bit while your plant recovers but won't ruin your grow. That is so long as your plant is able to recover from the damage.

Don't be scared to experiment. It's less dangerous than reading Jorge Cervantes.

InvisiblePandor

Re: First timer. Critique my germination process and my veg room. [Re: maryanne3087]
    #512003 - 01/08/11 04:57 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I am a little confused about the difference between CFLs and florescent (tube) lights. I guess I thought they were the same thing.

How do I know what type mine is? I guess that would help me understand how close to put the plants to the light.

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
    #512006 - 01/08/11 05:03 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Compact florescent = spiral tube thingy.

Regular = straight tube.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #512024 - 01/08/11 05:59 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

maryanne3087 said:
A fan is more to move air/co2 around the leaves so the leaves have a fresh supply of co2. There is benefit from strengthening stems but indoors it's minimal since we pack our plants together fairly tight and they won't be moving around once they put on a certain amount of weight.

So to answer your question better, so long as the leaves are moving from the fan that's enough in room circulation. You also want to have fresh air coming into your room I change the volume of air in my room every minute along with having 5 circulation fans in my 12x12' room which I rearrange as I see fit.

The distance you put your plants from the light is to preventing burning from heat. CFLs are not very hot at all, they create more heat than HPS bulbs per watt but CFLS are generally low wattage and their shape seems to let them shed heat well. I don't personally use CFLs at all but I do use florescent lights (tube) now and then for seedlings and I keep them less than 3 inches away. If you see burning of the foliage you know you're too close, unless you turn your plant into a crispy turd it will just set you back a bit while your plant recovers but won't ruin your grow. That is so long as your plant is able to recover from the damage.

Don't be scared to experiment. It's less dangerous than reading Jorge Cervantes.

What does he say that is wrong?

I've never read that one and haven't heard that before but I'm not surprised. I do like Ed Rosnethals new book (cause he gives STS mixes and I haven't seen another book do that) but I don't care for him much after getting to know him. I like Greg Greens new book also.

I have looked over one of Cervantes books and saw a picture of light warrior growing medium by Fox Farm described as organic potting soil when it's a soil less mix and thought that was a little sloppy.

:stoned:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
Re: First timer. Critique my germination process and my veg room. [Re: Magash]
    #512192 - 01/09/11 07:21 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Well potting mix isn't to say soil mix so that one is passable.

I don't exactly have each thing I've read that isn't accurate in the book highlighted but if you read through it you won't have to read very far to find something that isn't accurate. Stuff like referring to trichoderma as bacteria when it's a fungi. Pandor said it says to hang CFL's 12-18" above the canopy when they're probably best hung 6" from the canopy due to lumen drop at greater distances and not much worry of heat as another example.

Chimera said Greg Green was a noobie poster over at OG and would get involved in every discussion spewing nonsense all over the place and then when OG went under he published books under his Greg Green alias via massive copy and paste.

InvisiblePandor

#512242 - 01/09/11 12:43 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

So I NEED to get those plants closer to the light. Doing that right now.

InvisiblePandor

#512246 - 01/09/11 12:55 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

There we go. Or Should I still go a little closer?

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
    #512264 - 01/09/11 01:35 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

You probably could if it's not too hot but that seems like a good distance. I almost always have my seedlings within 6 inches of the light when using florescent and whatever distance I feel won't burn them when using HID.

Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

Loc: West Coast
    #512265 - 01/09/11 01:39 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

how close are they right now?

--------------------
It looks like it's going to be another Gravity Bong type day...

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
Re: First timer. Critique my germination process and my veg room. [Re: muse42]
    #512280 - 01/09/11 02:03 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I'd guess 10-12"

Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

#512284 - 01/09/11 02:08 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I would get that thermometer up under the lights and get a temp reading, and if it's not to high, I would go closer, but with that amount of CFL they should be fine at 10-12.

--------------------

InvisiblePandor

#512300 - 01/09/11 02:32 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I just had to go out. While I was gone the thermometer read 73 but it was on the floor. I just moved it.

What is the ideal temp? High 70s?

Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

#512305 - 01/09/11 02:44 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

https://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22948#22948

Coda said
Quote:

anything below 65 should be avoided, anything above 85 should be avoided.

Ideal temps are in the mid to high 70's with the lights on, high 60's to low 70's with the lights off.

I try and keep mine around 76-78 with lights on.  My lights are 6 inches away from the tallest growth.

--------------------

InvisiblePandor

#512312 - 01/09/11 03:00 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for that. Will move the light closer

Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

#512319 - 01/09/11 03:22 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Do make sure you get the temp reading first with the thermometer in the correct position.

--------------------

InvisiblePandor

#512549 - 01/10/11 11:59 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Last night.

A few minutes ago.

I lifted the tray and saw a little root poking out. It's not as white as I imagined it should be. Is this because there is water pooling under the pellets? Does this have the potential to be the dreaded rot? Should I raise the inner container so it does not sit in the water?

I try not to over water them, but they dry out frequently being so close to the light. Just trying to get everything just right.

Offlinelostinbq
!!!STARNGE!!!!

#512568 - 01/10/11 02:21 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

from what i have read, standing water = no good. if there was an air stone in there making bubbles then it may have been fine. all i do is just spray my pellets when they are getting dry and the first sign of roots i trans plant them. then again this is what works for me. do you have a pic of this root you speak of?

edit: i think caring for seedlings is the most time consuming part. i spray mine 3 times a day(when i get up before i leave for classes, when i get home from classes, before i go to bed) again this is what works for me.

--------------------
Everyone are you ready for doom,
Because I've blackened the sun,
And I've bloodied the moon.
I bring gloom when I step in the room,
With the fumes of a tomb.
flowers bloom when Im taken away
:rofldrunk:

Edited by lostinbq (01/10/11 02:23 PM)

InvisiblePandor

Re: First timer. Critique my germination process and my veg room. [Re: lostinbq]
    #512591 - 01/10/11 03:40 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I tried to take a picture, this is what I got.

As you can see, this is just the very first little root, and I am only slightly concerned about the color (which you can not see all that well).

I am am trying to get a jump ahead of what may cause future problems. Since I have moved them all so close to the light, the temp is fine, but the pellets are drying out FAST. I water them 3x per day. When I water them, at first some water does not absorb and goes off to the side and bottom.

Is the bottom of the tray really necessary? I was thinking about taking it out of there so the excess water would not pool. Or maybe even taking out of their holders and letting the whole pellet sit out and I could just spray the whole thing.

Or am I making a big deal about nothing?

I've been very nervous since I read this in top post listed below.

Quote:

Crusty Ass Bastard said:
Quote:

lampshadehelmet said:
A word of caution on germinating seeds... having extra rapid rooter plugs sitting around I decided to use them rather than throw them out(used to clone in them switched to aero).

The seeds failed miserably at pushing their way out of the plugs and most coiled up into a ball of tap root and died without ever emerging. The ones that did break surface ended up dying as well due to the root not being able to grow properly.

This was a fresh bag of plugs and I have used them to clone before, but suggest never attempting to germinate in them. I managed to save a few by ripping them out of the plugs and placing in dirt.

I agree, plugs are more difficult to grow seeds in because they get waterlogged so easily. I think coda uses them and I know a couple other experienced growers that do, but for a newbie starting out they should be avoided.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder