Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinegeokillsA
······· º¿° ·······
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
California [CA] Proposition 19 - Tax & Regulate Marijuana * 5
    #470090 - 08/30/10 06:06 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

California voters will soon be going to the polls to make a statement on the personal use of cannabis.  If you live in California, please make sure to vote.
If you know someone who lives in California, please give them a call or send them an email encouraging them to support this important piece of legislation.

Here is a portion of a fairly gentle post I submitted elsewhere to people who have been arguing against Proposition 19.
If you frequent other websites and see people fighting against this legalization, consider posting the following in response:

Quote:

Prohibition does not work. There is no denying that a demand for marijuana exists, and that it cannot be eliminated simply because we make the marijuana illegal. People will find a way to procure their substance of choice, so wouldn't it be better to take the marijuana industry out of the hands of the black market? In doing so, we will undoubtedly see flat to decreased use amongst adolescents, as the substance will not be as popular amongst illicit drug dealers since the exorbitant profit margin will collapse, and kids will have a hard time buying from vendors that ask for proof of age.

Furthermore, law enforcement can quit wasting their time feeding the prison industrial complex by pursuing non-violent crimes related to marijuana, and can instead focus on the crimes that are actually hurting people. This should help reverse the disgusting fact that our country has the highest percentage of incarcerated citizens out of any country on this entire planet, which will save our state and local government much needed money; all while preserving a harmless personal freedom.

Not withstanding the fact that marijuana is substantially less toxic than alcohol (and non-addicting), it is up to adults to make responsible decisions as to how much they will use, just as they do with any other intoxicating substance. Attempting to police morality and personal choice is simply wrong. We need to take a more realistic stance on drug use in this country. People will do it regardless of its legal status. Control the substance, thereby making it as safe as possible for the consumer, while generating additional tax revenue that would otherwise be lost to criminal enterprise, and help curb the incredible waste in the criminal justice system that arises out of these absolutely futile prohibitionary laws.

If you really want to get involved, consider making calls to young absentee voters in California from your own phone at your leisure.
It's really easy to do, and after the first few calls it's total cake!  Just be relaxed and respectful, these are normal people.
In fact, most of the calls you'll make through JustSayNow will go straight to answering machine.

Here's the script I wrote for myself:
Quote:

Hi ____,

My name is ____ and I'm calling because I see that you are registered to vote as an
absentee and I just want to make sure that you and everyone else in your household
will in fact vote by tomorrow.

I apologize if you've already received calls about this, but I'm really just trying
to get people to support Proposition 19, the legalize, tax and regulate marijuana
initiative.  Prop 19 is designed to treat marijuana pretty much the same as alcohol,
which will allow the police and our criminal justice system to focus on violent
crimes instead of the non-violent crimes.

This will in turn reduce the prison population which is already WAY over capacity,
and should even generate some solid tax revenue for the state and local governments.

Prop 19 is really aimed at protecting consumers while reducing the profits obtained
by illegal drug dealers.

I mean, there IS a demand for marijuana in this country, and for 70 years marijuana
prohibition has done NOTHING to reduce that demand.

But I'll tell you, tons of money has been wasted all while taking away freedom from
the people who get caught using or growing this substance; a substance that
incidentally, is less toxic than alcohol AND non-addicting.

Just to clear up some misconceptions, this will not make it legal to drive under the
influence.  If a pot user is pulled over while driving and fails a field sobriety
test, they will have their car impounded and they will have to face the consequences
through the court system.

What Prop 19 will do is preserve personal freedom for responsible adults while
cleaning up some of the waste in our criminal justice system.

So I thank you for hearing me out and if you haven't voted already, please make sure
that you do, and please support prop 19!

Take care and have a nice day.

The race is very tight, but there is definitely a real chance of this passing. :gethigh:
It would be a significant step toward getting federal prohibition repealed!

www.thenewleaf.org :ganja: www.yeson19.com

// Original post submitted August 30, 2010:

Friends of cannabis!

The People of the State of California will present Proposition 19 on this November's election ballot and I would urge everyone to make sure that you are registered to vote (and if you are not, you can fill out/print/mail this registration form) in order to participate in this November's election.

The deal:
  • Proposition 19 - The Regulate, Control and Tax Cannabis Act of 2010
    Allows people 21 years old or older to possess, cultivate, or transport marijuana for personal use. Permits local governments to regulate and tax commercial production and sale of marijuana to people 21 years old or older. Prohibits people from possessing marijuana on school grounds, using it in public, smoking it while minors are present, or providing it to anyone under 21 years old. Maintains current prohibitions against driving while impaired.

Summary of estimated fiscal impact:
    Savings of up to several tens of millions of dollars annually to state and local governments on the costs of incarcerating and supervising certain marijuana offenders. Unknown but potentially major tax, fee, and benefit assessment revenues to state and local government related to the production and sale of marijuana products.

M'lady and I attended the "Know Your Rights" expo in Anaheim this past weekend, and it was disappointing to see the low turnout and predominantly sales-oriented roster of attendees.  However, we did get to listen to some informative speakers, both for and against the proposition (including Judge Jim Gray, whom you may remember from some of my older spam!).

I would greatly prefer this proposition to be as simple as "removing all existing laws pertaining to marijuana."  But in reality, this type of legislation has little chance of passing unless the public can be assured that it will help to prevent children from having ready access to the substance, while simultaneously ensuring the integrity of the product available to adults.  Sadly, I don't believe that the issue of non-violent citizens being sent to jail and their families as a result being extremely strained carries enough weight by itself... even though this issue is at the heart of law enforcement expenses that have helped to send our state's budget into dire straits, in addition to making our country one which houses 5% of the total world population but 25% of the world's prisoners!

I wish we didn't have to offer the concession of instituting a sin tax upon marijuana (akin to alcohol and tobacco), which seems likely to happen given the way that Prop 19 has been worded.  Nevertheless, I am happy to support legislation that works toward reducing the atrocities that have been committed against so many non-violent citizens on account of our perversely harmful and antiquated prohibition drug laws.

There is a demand for cannabis in this country.  Criminalizing the substance has done nothing to stop it, yet has been responsible for wasting unbelievable billions of dollars while ruining the lives of millions of normal people like you and me.  In two words, it's fucked!

Let's do something about it.  Please help encourage sensible drug policy.

On October 6th, I sent out this email to all of my friends and family, and would encourage you to do the same:

Quote:

Friends & Family!

I just wanted to take a moment to encourage everyone to speak with their own friends and families about this important issue.

Voting against Proposition 19 would maintain a status quo that directly hurts tens of thousands of people in California every year who face legal consequences on account of the prohibitionary laws governing their personal use of marijuana.  It is an absolute travesty that our financially strapped state has been forced to continue this strain on our entire criminal justice system, just to hunt down and prosecute non-violent marijuana offenders.  Our state legislature recognized this fact when Governor Schwarzenegger signed SB 1449 into law last week, effectively reducing the penalty for public use of pot from a misdemeanor (requiring a court appearance and criminal record) to an infraction (which is the same class as a parking ticket - no court appearance, no court costs, and no criminal record).

Beyond that, people who fear these laws against cannabis will often turn to less safe legal alternatives such as the synthetic JWH compounds found in K2 and Spice over the counter herbal blends, which have been reported to produce adverse health affects and have a very short history of use.  Untainted marijuana on the other hand is extremely low in toxicity and holds a long history of safe use.

Please remember to vote yes on Proposition 19, and forward this email to family and friends who may have a misunderstanding of the real issues here.  The latest polls are showing passable support for proposition 19, but the only poll that matters is the one on November 2nd!

Some interesting and related commentary:

I hope everyone is enjoying the rain!

Thanks for reading,
~Mike

Conservative Television Commentators Share Their Thoughts...

Retired New Jersey State Trooper Shares His Thoughts...

Retired California Conservative Judge Shares His Thoughts...

More From the Judge Jim Gray...

--------------------
Do Your Part!

--------------------

Edited by geokills (11/01/10 12:15 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDr. SiekadellykM
Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ketamine Flag
Re: California [CA] Proposition 19 - Tax & Regulate Marijuana [Re: geokills]
    #470093 - 08/30/10 06:10 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

:sun:
Too bad im not in Cali.

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
Re: California [CA] Proposition 19 - Tax & Regulate Marijuana [Re: Dr. Siekadellyk]
    #470206 - 08/30/10 11:46 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Dr. Siekadellyk said:
Too bad im not in Cali.

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

OfflineFRACTALife
Rust Fuckin' Cohle
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Carcosa Flag
Re: California [CA] Proposition 19 - Tax & Regulate Marijuana [Re: Inverted]
    #470219 - 08/31/10 12:11 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Inverted said:
Quote:

Dr. Siekadellyk said:
Too bad im not in Cali.

--------------------

InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

Loc: Devils Marbles Flag
Re: California [CA] Proposition 19 - Tax & Regulate Marijuana [Re: FRACTALife]
    #470229 - 08/31/10 12:27 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

FRACTALife said:
Quote:

Inverted said:
Quote:

Dr. Siekadellyk said:
Too bad I'm not in AMERIKA.

--------------------

InvisibleMr. Kite
For The Benefit.
Male

Re: California [CA] Proposition 19 - Tax & Regulate Marijuana [Re: T-Rex]
    #470233 - 08/31/10 01:25 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Who fucking cares if you are in Cali or not? I mean not to insult anyone but I wouldn't like being in California for a while while they get all the "bugs" worked out of this plan. I'm glad that it's finally coming to the point where it might be legalized. But I'm sure they are going to do something weird with it. Also look at how many states have picked up Medical Marijuana, sooner or later (if California legalizes Cannabis) most other states will follow. I would rather be in my own state fighting for legalizing Marijuana completely than to move out to California. Since it should be legal anyways I cant wait till some statistics come from California legalizing Marijuana to come out. It will show everyone that people who partake in smoking Cannabis aren't bad people. And also it will show that it can be a positive thing rather than a negative thing. Not to insult anyone that said "I wish I was in Cali" but I'm just saying it's going to be interesting seeing what comes of this law if it happens. And if it does happen I'm going to be excited to see all the stats from it.

Also, I'm wondering what Obama is going to do....if anything. I mean he says that he "semi-supports" it but if this happens, I wonder if he is going to jump on board or jump ship.

Interesting times we live in right?

--------------------

InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

Loc: Devils Marbles Flag
Re: California [CA] Proposition 19 - Tax & Regulate Marijuana [Re: Mr. Kite]
    #470234 - 08/31/10 01:32 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

That's one thing I can agree with, I'm glad I'm alive to see this new chapter of history begin. Looking forward to laughing with my grand kids over a joint on how bud used to be illegal back when everyone was crazy.:jah:

--------------------

OfflineKilroy
old stoner
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Cold as Hell Flag
Re: California [CA] Proposition 19 - Tax & Regulate Marijuana [Re: T-Rex] * 1
    #470307 - 08/31/10 09:49 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Mr.Kite. I think they were saying to bad they do not live in cali is because they can not vote to help them out, did you think that might be what they were saying?

--------------------
Just smoke a bowl and get over your self
We are human beings first everything else is second

You can not hold anything I post against me for I am delusional

Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: California [CA] Proposition 19 - Tax & Regulate Marijuana [Re: Kilroy]
    #470319 - 08/31/10 10:35 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Not to insult anyone that said "I wish I was in Cali

I said "Too bad Im not in Cali" not "I wish I was in cali" because I cant vote for this and help make it happen,
I would never move out there, I dont want to, im fine here.

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

InvisibleMr. Kite
For The Benefit.
Male

Re: California [CA] Proposition 19 - Tax & Regulate Marijuana [Re: Dr. Siekadellyk]
    #470330 - 08/31/10 11:08 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

lol sorry drunken rant last night.

--------------------

OfflineShaggy420
Male

#470529 - 08/31/10 05:47 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

ill be pissed if cali stoners fuck this up.

--------------------

:Awemush::happyweed::fasted::happyweed::Awemush:

http://www.clear-uk.org/

OfflinegeokillsA
······· º¿° ·······
Male User Gallery

#470780 - 09/01/10 08:57 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Mr. Kite said:

Also, I'm wondering what Obama is going to do....if anything. I mean he says that he "semi-supports" it but if this happens, I wonder if he is going to jump on board or jump ship.

I don't believe Obama would move in opposition if Californians were to pass Prop 19.  Keep in mind that the following election cycle will include his name on the ballot!  As a savvy politician, it seems highly unlikely that he would jeopardize his California votes by stomping all over state law, particularly as he has already expressed the idea that marijuana is not a big deal.

--------------------
Do Your Part!

--------------------

InvisibleMr. Kite
For The Benefit.
Male

#470825 - 09/01/10 12:00 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

But not opposing it would make people who dont support legalization of Cannabis vote against him.

--------------------

OfflinegeokillsA
······· º¿° ·······
Male User Gallery

#470842 - 09/01/10 01:40 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Not necessarily.

Obama isn't going to come out and press for federal legalization before his election.  If he did, then that would be something that might piss off a lot of voters in states outside of California.  But so long as the matter is relegated to California pursuing its own legal cannabis structure, Obama doesn't have to say anything on the subject.  At most if he were pressed, he might simply state that "there are more important issues to deal with or to use federal resources on, than worrying about someone smoking a joint in a private space."

This ambiguity would be unlikely to turn other states against him just because he is not actively spending federal money to bust up the new pot shops on the west coast.  Indeed, true right wingers may actually admire the fact that the President isn't interfering in state affairs.  Afterall, a traditional conservative would want the federal government to have less reach, handing over more control to local governments so they can make laws that are close to and therefore likely to be better for the people that they govern.

--------------------
Do Your Part!

--------------------

InvisibleMr. Kite
For The Benefit.
Male

#470843 - 09/01/10 01:43 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

If California passes a law making Marijuana legal in the whole state, you can bet that it's going to get a lot of press. The more press there is, the more that Obama is going to be called upon to make statements (or to do something about it). I can see this going either way. Although I do think a lot of people are scared of a plant now because their government has been preaching them bullshit all of their lives.

--------------------

OfflineSmOakland
Now with Grow!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oaktown to NOLA
    #471034 - 09/01/10 08:57 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Anybody who does not want Prop 19 to pass because of little intricacies of the law clearly know nothing about laws and how they are passed.  All these morons in CA who are objecting to little details in the law have clearly never taken a class on government or done any significant research into the system by which these propositions are passed in CA.

Offlinelucas_southoz
Australian
Male

Re: California [CA] Proposition 19 - Tax & Regulate Marijuana [Re: T-Rex]
    #471041 - 09/01/10 09:14 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

T-Rex said:
Quote:

FRACTALife said:
Quote:

Inverted said:
Quote:

Dr. Siekadellyk said:
Too bad I'm not in AMERIKA.

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Re: California [CA] Proposition 19 - Tax & Regulate Marijuana [Re: lucas_southoz]
    #476678 - 09/13/10 06:38 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

care to make this a global announcement?

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: California [CA] Proposition 19 - Tax & Regulate Marijuana [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #476682 - 09/13/10 06:40 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I just stickied it, but it wont let me make it Global.

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
    #476781 - 09/13/10 10:29 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I think it will pass. But it will take a while before everything gets milled over. Shit..... out here in maine we passed LD 1811 for dispensaries and we're nearly a yr into it with not ONE dispensary up and running. They're estimating sometime in Jan of '11 for the first shop.  I wonder how long it will take before it's official for cali....when prop 19 passes of course.  My guess is 2 yrs.

Sending good vibes to all you guys out west. You're all gonna make history and we'll be watching.  :gethigh:

--------------------
"Marijuana may not be addictive, but growing it is" - ED Rosenthal

Maine Caregiver In 100% compliance with Maine state laws.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder