Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblepoke smot!
Is it 420 yet?
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Automation systems: Worth investing in?
    #998 - 04/20/08 12:35 PM (16 years, 2 days ago)

I wasn't sure which indoor forum this belongs in, as it applies to both hydro & soil-grown plants.

There are a number of products out there to automate things like lighting, temperature, humidity, carbon dioxide, and other things. I want to get everyone's input on whether this level of control is worth it.

I'm not asking if it's necessary, since of course you can grow without any fancy additions. What I'm asking is, has anyone had experience automating these factors, that resulted in higher yields, more potency, or other desirable qualities of MJ?

Also, there's many different solutions out there ranging from devices to handle one task (such as lighting timers), to all-in-one automation systems. The AIO automation systems also vary greatly in price and intended application so, at what point is it worth the money?

Assuming that an all-in-one device to automate greenhouse conditions would translate to better results,
Which factors would be worthwhile to spend money on automating?
You may choose many
Automation might be good for
You may choose many
Small-time growers: an all-in-one system be worth it if it cost
You may choose only one

Votes accepted from (04/20/08 12:34 PM) to (No end specified)
View the results of this poll | Filter by response

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemaggotz

Re: Automation systems: Worth investing in? [Re: poke smot!]
    #2677 - 04/20/08 05:57 PM (16 years, 2 days ago)

i have no experience with these systems but i believe that if you're gonna make such an investment you should be having a fairly large growing operation. but i guess that it all comes down to convenience versus price.

are you willing to pay more and have less responsibilities?

you should also keep in my mind that actually caring and watching the plants grow can be as much fun as smoking them. :smile:

OfflineAnnom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Trusted Cultivator
    #4656 - 04/21/08 07:25 AM (16 years, 1 day ago)

What is automating lightning? Using a timer or automatically changing height above plants or something else?

You really do want a timer, but automating light height is only useful for very large grows.

Invisiblepoke smot!
Is it 420 yet?
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Automation systems: Worth investing in? [Re: Annom]
    #4684 - 04/21/08 07:35 AM (16 years, 1 day ago)

I was more speaking of, having the ability to set up timers over a period of time. For example, something that can be set to be 12/12 lighting at one time and something different at another.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4741 - 04/21/08 08:37 AM (16 years, 1 day ago)

Right now I have lights on auto, but that's just because I'm too busy to flip them myself everyday. I was considering automating the ventilation, but instead it just runs 24/7.

Since I grow in soil I don't really see a need to automate anything else.... it's all pretty straightforward and easy to do by hand.

--------------------

OfflineAnnom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Trusted Cultivator
    #4823 - 04/21/08 10:15 AM (16 years, 1 day ago)

(multiple program) timers are very cheap. I don't see the need for more than one program because you only have to switch from 18h to 12h ones every grow, but if you need it, it's a cheap automation.

I have an electric heater with thermostat for winters when it can get cold. Fans are connected to a simple thermostat and go on full power when it get too hot. I use a very simple light bulb as resistor, in series with the fans, to change the fan speed.

Humidity is most important for small plants/clones. I put a plastic tent around the clones to create a small humid greenhouse. No humidity control after that.

I don't use CO2. Watering is done, by hand, via drainage tubes. Nutes and pH are also done by hand. My grow is only 10-20 plants so it's not worth it to automate the pH/nutes.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Automation systems: Worth investing in? [Re: Annom]
    #4829 - 04/21/08 10:18 AM (16 years, 1 day ago)

Nutrients and pH are extremely easy to monitor by hand. In a large scale hydro setup it might be worth it to regulate certain variables, but for your average home grower it's just far too much of an investment.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies