Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflinePsilocybinMike
T.F.Y.Q.A
Male User Gallery

Psychedelic/Stoner DNA/genetics???
    #432240 - 06/13/10 02:47 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Originally posted this at the Shroomery, it's an interesting topic enough IMO that it deserved to be shared here. Hopefully it can generate some interesting discussion, not enough of that around these parts.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/12736359

Quote:

PsilocybinMike said:
This is just something I wonder about, since when I was a kid I'll never forget when I was about 10 my grandmother and I were with my great grandmother who was like 90 at the time and they just casually told me we were 1/8 Native American and I was just fascinated by it. I didn't really think about it until years later once I had become fully immersed in the world of psychedelia and had many trips under my belt and recalled back to that, and wondered if that had anything to do with why I was so drawn to psychedelics and why they seem to really bless me time and time again with enlightening and inspiring trips.

For about as many years as I've been into psychedelics (starting smoking weed/hash at 13, mushrooms at 15) I have always been a person who is commonly associated with these things and that lifestyle in the eyes of others, and have always been one to spread positive and well informed information about psychedelics and even have straight up told people how to use them properly who were just tripping mindlessly pretending they can talk to trees and that stupid shit is hilarious because that's what their preconceptions of what psychedelics make them think they should be doing. I've turned several people on, mostly good friends and family and in turn they have turned on some of their friends/family and essentially through my "teachings" I walk away with the satisfaction of knowing these kids aren't mindlessly tripping and doing so with little to no actual knowledge of these substances and when talking to others about psychedelics when I'm not around to look after them they are spreading around valid and informed information about psychedelics I shared with them.

So to sum it all up, I've been wondering for sometime now if there's actually any sort of inherent gene that can somehow be passed down that would build up in people who have used psychedelics in their lives and come from generations of people using them like with Native Americans. Presumably I could have DNA in my body traced back to my 1/8 of Native American genetics coming from someone from a long line of peyotists or mushrooms or what have you that possibly makes me more inclined to do them and have a better understanding than the average person? Another thing I wonder about is the fact that BOTH of my parents I found out later in life had done acid before I was born, and mescaline, I have since wondered similar things, if they essentially "re-wired" their brains or something to that effect did that effect my personality and my inclination towards weed/psychedelics and deep appreciation of them?

Anyone else here Native American and or come from a similar background where you're essentially 2nd or 3rd generations trippers and could see how that might have impacted your development as a modern day shroomerite/psychonaut wether or not you even knew this or not growing up (if your parents smoked/did psychedelics), because for me I didn't find out BOTH my parents did acid and mescaline before I was born until about a year or two ago, I knew about my mom having done them but not my dad.

Anyway sorry for the semi long post, this is something that interests me hoping to generate some interesting discussion about such things with those who share my fascination.

--------------------

baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVZBTAYm3rw

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Loc: PNW
Re: Psychedelic/Stoner DNA/genetics??? [Re: PsilocybinMike]
    #432252 - 06/13/10 03:08 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

One of my grandparents says they descended from a native medicine man

:justdontknow:

I'd say my families culture and background has affected the way I interpret my world. I was just naturally curious about psychedelics once I smoked weed once.

I think I was hooked from then on. Does it have anything to do with my genetics? Maybe a lot, but definitely some.

Invisible13eetleJuice
The ghost with the most
Male

Loc: 6' under fertalizing bud
    #432268 - 06/13/10 03:31 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I'm at least one-eighth Native American Cherokee from my mothers side. I've always been fascinated by that thought. I have no living Native American relatives but, I'd really like to learn more about the culture someday.

My mother nor my father have ever been into psychedelics as far as I know. I've questioned them both and the story is about the same... "tried pot a few times, didn't like the paranoia, drank beer/wine instead."

They both know of my love for all things mind altering, a trait that I share with at least two of my three siblings. My parents just get these confused, slightly worried, fear of the unknown type looks on their faces whenever I speak of using mushrooms or anything on that scale. After which they usually blink hard with a hearty "well, alrighty then" and change the subject back to something where they feel more comfortable. :lol:

Edited by 13eetleJuice (06/13/10 03:37 PM)

OfflinePsilocybinMike
T.F.Y.Q.A
Male User Gallery

Re: Psychedelic/Stoner DNA/genetics??? [Re: 13eetleJuice]
    #432272 - 06/13/10 03:35 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

13eetleJuice said:
I'm at least one-eighth Native American Cherokee from my mothers side. I've always been fascinated by that thought. I have no living Native American relatives but, I'd really like to learn more about the culture someday.

My mother nor my father have ever been into psychedelics as far as I know. I've questioned them both and the story is about the same... "tried pot a few times, didn't like the paranoia, drank beer/wine instead."

They both know of my love for all things mind altering, a trait that I share with at least two of my three siblings.

Have you ever researched peyotism? About a year or two ago I had to take a world religions class and for the final project you were to research a religion of your choice and interview someone from that church. I did it on Peyotism, specifically about this church "Peyote Way Church" in AZ where people come from all over to participate in their ceremonies and consume Peyote legally. Pretty interesting stuff.

--------------------

Offlineelcharrosays
Male User Gallery

#432275 - 06/13/10 03:41 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

It's a nice idea and all but, no I don't think your 1/8th Native American blood has given you any predisposition to tripping or gives you any particular greater ability of understanding. Every single race and ethnicity has a history of psychedlic use stretching back hundreds of generations. We're all in the same boat here.

--------------------

Invisible13eetleJuice
The ghost with the most
Male

#432276 - 06/13/10 03:42 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I think I saw something on natgeo about that church. As far as I remember, they were allowed to possess and consume peyote. However it must be fresh. They were not allowed to dry it or preserve it in any manner nor were they allowed to cultivate it. Is that about the way of it?

--------------------

OfflinePsilocybinMike
T.F.Y.Q.A
Male User Gallery

Re: Psychedelic/Stoner DNA/genetics??? [Re: elcharrosays]
    #432279 - 06/13/10 03:47 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

elcharrosays said:
It's a nice idea and all but, no I don't think your 1/8th Native American blood has given you any predisposition to tripping or gives you any particular greater ability of understanding. Every single race and ethnicity has a history of psychedlic use stretching back hundreds of generations. We're all in the same boat here.

Agreed. Nonetheless though the fact that both of my parents had done psychedelics before I was born intrigues me especially because I initially didn't know that growing up and beginning to experiment but once I did learn that I felt like oh, well that makes sense I guess. I probably would have smoked at 13 and done all the same drugs regardless but it does make you wonder..

--------------------

Offlineelcharrosays
Male User Gallery

#432286 - 06/13/10 03:58 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

The DNA of your parents that was passed on to you is the very same DNA before they experimented and afterwards. LSD didn't alter your parent's DNA and neither did anything else for that matter. It may, however, have altered their opinions about life and therefor provided you with a potentially different upbringing than if they had never experimented at all.

--------------------

Invisible13eetleJuice
The ghost with the most
Male

Re: Psychedelic/Stoner DNA/genetics??? [Re: elcharrosays]
    #432343 - 06/13/10 07:49 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I think what he may actually be trying to hint at is an evolutionary propensity toward mind altering experiences as garnered from hundreds or perhaps thousands of years of sustained, ritual, tribal use.

To discover if this is possible we can ask the question:
What are some examples that we can see in the world around us where humans, or perhaps other primates, from different regions of the globe have differing levels of natural inclination towards certain experiences or activities.

He may be suggesting that perhaps the psychedelic experience is preferred by some, but not others, based at least somewhat on their natural ancestral history of psychedelic use.

:shrug: I'm fucking baked right now and have no idea what I'm talking about :shrug:

But, I'll start by saying that I know there are regions of the Earth where humans have for centuries past, and still today, used spicey hot peppers as a staple of their cuisine. It's fact that some humans have a higher tolerance to the heat of these peppers than others. My question is this: If a person, of said region's ancestral decent, is born and raised in a region where there is low use of spices in their diet, will that person have a naturally occurring evolutionary or genetic predisposition for a high tolerance towards hot peppers as an adult? And if so, doesn't this suggest that there may be something more to the OP's theory than seems on the surface?

I'm probably absolutely wrong. :suicide:

--------------------

OfflinePsilocybinMike
T.F.Y.Q.A
Male User Gallery

Re: Psychedelic/Stoner DNA/genetics??? [Re: 13eetleJuice]
    #432392 - 06/13/10 09:11 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Well, supposedly alcoholism is a trait passed down through hereditary traits. Inheriting this gene just does not guarantee someone be an alcoholic but it increases their chances. I imagine the same rules could apply with psychedelics, but of course there's no substantial evidence to support that.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds