Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJustatheory
Stranger
Small plants, 1st timer, quick easy question
    #419008 - 05/16/10 06:28 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I've never posted here on Growery before, but am quite active over at Shroomery. My roommate is growing a couple plants that were gifted to him by a buddy who had to move across the country. He had already started growing the plants in a single pot and basically told us nothing about cultivation.

Here's the setup: We've got the plants in the same pot right now (Question 1 below) in a closet. There is a 60-watt bulb (the ice-cream swirly CFL kind) directly above it that is ON 12 hours/OFF 12 hours. We keep it well-watered so that there is a bit of water that drips out of the bottom of the pot.

There is a small ionizing fan above them and

1) should we put each plant in its own pot?
2) There are two leaves (see pic) on the bottom of one of the plants that look to be dying... should those be pruned off the plant so they don't continue to suck its energy?
3) We're a bit limited as to what we can actually do with this grow since it was given to us so randomly. However, such a beautiful plant should NOT go to waste! Is there anything that we should be doing that we're not?
-i.e. different light schedule, should it be humid in there? We're planning on getting a better light bulb (one with full-spectrum light) ASAP to replace the CFL we've got in there now.

Pics:

Thanks you all, I know that when I was cultivating mushrooms the shroomery was absolutely essential and very friendly. Hope the growery is just the same!

Edited by Justatheory (05/16/10 06:31 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSmOakland
Now with Grow!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oaktown to NOLA
Re: Small plants, 1st timer, quick easy question [Re: Justatheory]
    #419012 - 05/16/10 06:41 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Okay.  Welcome to the Growery.

First off- You need more light!  The plants are all stretched out b/c they are reaching for the light but have weak stems and leaves.  Are you sure the bulb is 60 watts or is it made to imitate an incandescent bulb that is 60 watts?  Regardless, you need to move the light closer to the plants.  Maybe 4 inches from the top of the plants. And get a lot more.

1. It looks like it is too late to separate them at this point.  Let them both grow and hopefully one of them will be a female.

2.  Dont bother pruning these off.

3.  You are probably over watering it.  You only need to water when the pot feels pretty light (not a lot of water in there).  Those plants will not be using a lot of water so maybe water about once every 5-7 days i would guess.

Edited by SmOakland (05/16/10 06:46 PM)

OfflineSmOakland
Now with Grow!
Male User Gallery

Re: Small plants, 1st timer, quick easy question [Re: SmOakland]
    #419014 - 05/16/10 06:43 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

On second thought you might still be able to put them in separate pots.  Get more opinions on that.

OfflineJustatheory
Stranger
    #419027 - 05/16/10 07:21 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Hmm that's some great info. Thanks a lot! I am going to go do some research my self. I am so glad you were so kind to help me out with these questions though while I'm still learning. Hopefully I can still save these plants!

Does anyone else on here have suggestions about whether or not to separate these two plants?  THANKS!

OfflineSmOakland
Now with Grow!
Male User Gallery

#419087 - 05/16/10 08:35 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

You also need to consider that these plants might both be male, so you could be growing two completley worthless plants.  So don't spend too much $.

OfflineJustatheory
Stranger
    #419131 - 05/16/10 09:53 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

okay so I've done some research. My main worry now is whether or not to transplant one of them into a new pot. I'm starting the flowering cycle tonight with 12/12 light schedule, and from the looks of it, they both appear at first guess to be females.

BUTTTTTTT i don't know if I should transplant and risk shocking them too badly... what do you all think?

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #419160 - 05/17/10 12:35 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Leave them be.  To seperate them would cause a lot of shock.  Esp. since they are already stressed out and over watered.

I don't see them showing any pre-flowers at this point.  If one does turn out to be male just kill it and leave the other.  It'll  be fine. 

The lower leaves are dying becase they are not getting enough light, as was said before.  i'd get at least 4 CFL's if you are wanting to go through with this.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract