Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinethekatalyst
The Katalystik Scientist
Male User Gallery

5 Unknown Strain CFL Grow- FIRST TIMER
    #339263 - 01/03/10 12:37 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I WILL POST PICTURES ASAP, I SWEAR!!!

Hello All... First, let me say that I am a COMPLETE noob at this. I've got no friggin clue what I am doing. I have basic gardening skill, and can grow just about anything... I like to smoke weed... I like to garden... This is the next step, in logical progression... GROWING MY OWN WEED. I've started this thread to document my grow of 5 unknown strains of herb. Most of the strains came to me with names, but I have no idea which plants are which now, as they got mixed up after moving them from my seed-bed... (stoners aren't particularly well organized, and I don't start projects well... sue me.)

STRAINS:
Anyway, the strains... I've got one called "Mexican" by a local mountain grower, who also produces a strain he calls "Rehab". I believe that "Rehab" may just be the primo smoke, and the "Mexican" is the denser, less-kind end-product of "Rehab" plants gone to seed, or picked at the late end of the flowering phase. I have 6 of this variety, all seedlings in their first week, and less than 2" tall.

Another is a purple strain, but I am not sure which one. It may be simply "Purple". Possibly some relative of Purple Kush. It is in its' third week of life, and is vegging like crazy... I think I only have one of these plants. It is roughly 3 1/2" tall, but it doesn't want to stand up straight like the others... It perplexes me. 

Another strain I have is a Northern Lights plant... I think it may be #5, but if not, then it is plain old Northern. It is reaching for the sky under the CFLs', and at roughly 6" tall, it has a pretty 2" cola. It just got tall enough that I felt I could risk a shot at cloning it. I gently clipped the top center out of it with a pair of moustache scissors, dipped it in some hormone, and put it in nice loamy soil, underneath an improvised dome made from an empty plastic water bottle. It has been three days, and everybody still looks happy. The structure of this plant is very different from the others previously mentioned. I will include pictures of them, and it will be obvious what I mean.
This plant is 4 weeks old or so.

The next strain is a complete unknown, however it has a structure similar to the rest of the plants, and could easily be of the same lineage, however the seeds came from two different batches, and I am reluctant to guess which, because I've had so many varieties. I do remember though, that the buds were very dense, like a hash plant almost. Both are as tall as the Northern plant, and are the same age (roughly 4 weeks), but are completely different from the Northern in appearance. One of these plants got burned really bad under a Mercury Vapor light (my bad...), and lost ALL of its' leaves. It is coming back, but right now it has three poofballs of leaves progressing in size, going down the stem, like a funky cut poodle's tail.

Then we have the clone army... I just saw a friend of mine today, and he gave me a cutting of ANOTHER unknown strain. It is definitely an Indica strain, and the herb I sampled was very light, with large green-purple crystaline buds, and a light, skunky, fruity smell that I don't often encounter. I turned the cutting into three clones, and I am trying to root them now. We shall see.

LIGHTING AND ENVIRONMENT:

My lighting right now is entirely 27W (100W Equivalent) GE Compact Flourescent. I have 4 clip-on utility lamps with reflective hoods, a CFL Floodlight, a small bedside lamp, and two 3 bulb adjustable lighting fixtures ($14.99 @ Wally-Mart). I removed the hoods on these, and screwed on two-bulb splitters, for a total of 6 lights per fixture. With a lamp-head, in place of the screwdown on one fixture, and an extra splitter I added two more bulbs, for a grand total of 8. So I've got 20 CFL 100W equivalent bulbs in a 2'x3' area under a desk downstairs. 17 of the 20 bulbs are 6500K Daylight bulbs. The other three are 100W Equiv. 2700k bulbs.

My temperature varies between 85 degrees F under full sun, with both fans blowing, to between 63 and 68 degrees at night with fans blowing. I can't seem to raise my humidity, which has been pretty well steady at 22%. I question the accuracy of my cheapie humidity monitor, but its no biggie.

I have been monitoring my soil humidity with my finger, and watering when it feels dry more than 1 1/2" below the surface. I just scattered worm castings on everything, and noticed a difference in the plants overnight.

**************************MY GOALS HERE*******************************

1. Positively identify as many of my strains as possible.
2. Care and feeding help. I need to know what to feed them, and when.
(After-all, I am not doing this to grow mediocre dope. I want Sock-Rockin' weed!)
3. To document this grow as well as possible, and perfect my techniques
4. To learn more about hydroponic growing methods, and possibly implement some, if cost and space allows this.
5. To spend AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE! I'm a broke fuck!

Thanks again! I hope people find this interesting, and post lots of helpful replies. COME ON EXPERTS!!! I WANNA HEAR YA!!!

Here are the first of my pics:

My Northern Plant...

My little Purple... My burn victim...
My Poofy sativa-looking plant

--------------------
"... We explore... and you call us criminals. We seek after knowledge... and you call us criminals. We exist without skin color, without nationality, without religious bias... and you call us criminals. You build atomic bombs, you wage wars, you murder, cheat, and lie to us and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the criminals.

Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for."

-The Mentor(Hacker's Manifesto)

Edited by thekatalyst (02/22/10 10:54 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDr. SiekadellykM
Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ketamine Flag
Re: 5 Unknown Strain CFL Grow- FIRST TIMER (moved) [Re: thekatalyst]
    #339400 - 01/03/10 11:25 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

This thread was moved from the user's journal.

Reason:
Grow journal...

Offlinethekatalyst
The Katalystik Scientist
Male User Gallery

Re: 5 Unknown Strain CFL Grow- FIRST TIMER [Re: thekatalyst]
    #341142 - 01/05/10 07:40 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Okay, I am doing it right this time... I'm moving from my cramped space, into a larger room. I've skirted an existing wooden workbench (homemade style) into a growroom of sorts. I just painted the entire back wall white, along with all of the wood...top...bottom, and posts.
I am going to transplant my lighting fixtures tonight when the plants are asleep (I keep a 19/on 5/off lighting schedule). I am adding these new pictures... Hopefully they will be clearer than the last ones.

My old cramped space...

My New Bad-Ass Space...

Used a roll of rubber roof sheeting I found laying around to skirt the bench. It is black on the outside, and paper white on the inside. The material is a little heavy, but can be managed with a stapler (mostly)...
I will post again when I've got the lights up... 12-24hrs...

--------------------
"... We explore... and you call us criminals. We seek after knowledge... and you call us criminals. We exist without skin color, without nationality, without religious bias... and you call us criminals. You build atomic bombs, you wage wars, you murder, cheat, and lie to us and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the criminals.

Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for."

Edited by thekatalyst (02/22/10 10:55 AM)

Offlinethekatalyst
The Katalystik Scientist
Male User Gallery

#342330 - 01/07/10 01:15 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Okay... I've got the lighting hung... Atleast what I am going to use for veg. I have broken the underside of the bench into three parts... One for seedlings, and maintaining clones, and 2 70W Metal Halide fixtures, supplemented by 4 100W 6500K CFLs in the veg area. The third area is for flowering, but I want to cut the panel floor out of that section, so that they will support taller plants. I have not done any of the lighting or electrical there yet, as I am still weeks and weeks from needing an area to flower in. I will need some kind of simple odor control system when I go to flower... Anyone have any suggestions?

I have posted the pics of my new area here:

--------------------

Edited by thekatalyst (02/22/10 10:55 AM)

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Loc: Flag
    #342339 - 01/07/10 01:24 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Want to get some close ups of the plants themselves. I think you might have something bad going on with em. But I could be wrong.

Offlinethekatalyst
The Katalystik Scientist
Male User Gallery

#343117 - 01/08/10 11:53 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Okay... I am working now, but I will post ASAP...

--------------------

Offlinethekatalyst
The Katalystik Scientist
Male User Gallery

Re: 5 Unknown Strain CFL Grow- FIRST TIMER [Re: Triptonic]
    #344310 - 01/09/10 08:21 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Okay, here we go... These are my latest pictures. You say something may be wrong... I think it was the shitty camera... How do they look now? My purple is going nuts in veg, but it still won't stand up straight. After some selective pruning, the Northern plant is going off in all directions...
Anyone know where to find medium bulb 6500K 70 & 100W MH bulbs? Really tough to track down...

My Northern...
My Purple...
My Poofy Unknown...The burn victim... making a comeback...And the youngsters... They've gone nuts overnight... Twice that size now...

--------------------

Edited by thekatalyst (02/22/10 10:52 AM)

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Loc: Flag
    #344324 - 01/09/10 08:32 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah it musta just been a shitty camera. Things look good.

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
    #344413 - 01/09/10 09:15 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

You look nutrient deficient.  Feed those girls but don't give them too much.  Give them 1/2 of the recommended dosage on the bottle to start, and if they don't burn after a couple days, feed them again 5-7 days later, then keep them on a water, water, feed, water, water feed schedule.

They look underwatered and hungry.  Feed them!

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

Offlinethekatalyst
The Katalystik Scientist
Male User Gallery

#344436 - 01/09/10 09:23 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Any idea how I can identify these strains? I could probably pick out the Northern as what it is, and the purple is very similar to the others. I only know that it is a purple strain, because that's what the bag I got said on it... I cannot remember which purple it is exactly though...
Even if I could identify basic types first, then narrow it down by characteristics...

Also, what am I feeding them? I've used worm castings, and miracle grow 7-7-7 to start... I know I can do better, but how?

--------------------

Edited by thekatalyst (01/09/10 09:40 PM)

Offlinethekatalyst
The Katalystik Scientist
Male User Gallery

#370351 - 02/22/10 10:44 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Okay, now my garden is getting interesting... I just hung a 1000W MH in the middle of the room for vegging these units. I have a seperate humidified area for the clones, and I have a 19"x21"x9' equipment rack, which has been light sealed, and ventilated, off to the side. Now we are ready to play... I am still working on my environment... ie, heating and cooling the place right, but if you look at the new pics, the setup is ideal...
My new lights inside the flowering box consist of a 175W MH (6500K), 8 CFLs' in splitters on utility clip lamps (6@2700K & 2@6500K), a 70W MH (4000K) and a 100W HPS (2100K). I think Flowering is going to be no problem. Dig the pics...

I have switched to Fox Farm for everything, and the plants have gone crazy! There really is no substitute for the Ocean Forest Mix, and Grow Big. Overnight I noticed a difference, and in a week they had almost doubled in size... No Joke!

Only 2 weeks into flowering, so we will see how it goes!

On a 19/5 schedule with my 1KW MH Lamp. Can anyone tell me why my Northern Lights is AutoFlowering?

Edited by thekatalyst (02/22/10 10:50 AM)

OfflineTomCollins

#370359 - 02/22/10 10:56 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Damn!

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

Re: 5 Unknown Strain CFL Grow- FIRST TIMER [Re: TomCollins]
    #370527 - 02/22/10 01:37 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I think those are just some nice fat preflowers mine looks the same way. be happy :smile:

--------------------
"The proverb warns that, "You should not bite the hand that feeds you." But maybe you should, if it prevents you from feeding yourself."
- Thomas Szasz

"if you arent good with electricity dont go touching it...ive electrocuted myself twice...its no fun"
- mhbound

Offlinehelmet
Bag Seed Veteran
Male

Loc: Pacific NW
Re: 5 Unknown Strain CFL Grow- FIRST TIMER [Re: pha3r0]
    #377209 - 03/02/10 05:56 PM (14 years, 29 days ago)

my opinoin its doing the huge "pre-flower" thing becasue the lights are either too close, or its too hot in there. i've had the same thing happen to me.

--------------------

Third grow  Third grow  Second grow  First grow(in that order) Fun Times :smile:

Offlinethekatalyst
The Katalystik Scientist
Male User Gallery

Re: 5 Unknown Strain CFL Grow- FIRST TIMER [Re: helmet]
    #412489 - 05/05/10 12:36 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Okay, here are my latest pics...
I have since picked up a few different strains...
Mexican DEFINITELY isn't Rehab....
The UKC is some truely special stuff...
I still have the UKC Type 1 Unknown Clone. I have harvested once already, and it is primo smoke.
I now have Cheese, Rehab, Mongolian Indica, Northern Lights #5(My autoflowerer)(AGREE WITH YOU THAT IT MAY BE TOO HOT... MY BOX HITS 90+ degrees at times...), and Mexican Sativa(Which has proven to be impossible to kill).

Offlinethekatalyst
The Katalystik Scientist
Male User Gallery

Re: 5 Unknown Strain CFL Grow- FIRST TIMER [Re: helmet]
    #412503 - 05/05/10 01:01 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Latest Pics...

--------------------

OfflineTomCollins

#412571 - 05/05/10 03:31 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Lookin good. :billymaythumbup:

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

Offlinehopanshrubman
The Rabble Rouser

Re: 5 Unknown Strain CFL Grow- FIRST TIMER [Re: TomCollins]
    #412838 - 05/05/10 11:24 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Oh my god they are beautiful!

Offlinemasterkush420
The Dudeness
Male User Gallery

Re: 5 Unknown Strain CFL Grow- FIRST TIMER [Re: hopanshrubman]
    #414818 - 05/09/10 10:06 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

:thaaannks: very nice cfl grow!

Invisiblebrifunforme
Card Holder. Not really
Re: 5 Unknown Strain CFL Grow- FIRST TIMER [Re: masterkush420]
    #415142 - 05/10/10 12:57 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I didnt read the whole post so sorry if this has been asked already. But how much did the entire setup of lighting cost you? If you had stuff lying around, what was the cost of it before it was just lying around also. Lookin good man! :thumbup:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds