Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMahavatar
At Peace
Male User Gallery

Loc: Quebec
A couple questions
    #39422 - 05/25/08 10:03 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

So, I have a box full of seedlings between 1 and 5 inches tall. Some are in only about a half an inch of soil, some others in about 2 inches of soil and a couple more in 2 inches of vermiculite.

The ones in the half inch look great nice and strong, bigger leaves than the others, only about 2.5inches tall though, the ones in verm look good too but nothing special.

But for some reason the ones in 2 inches of dirt are all about 2 inches taller than the rest with thin stems and cant hold themselves without help, whats the problem here?

Also when should I transplant these guys into some styrofoam cups and when I do should I use organic soil, verm or a mix of both?

--------------------
Most people consider the course of events as natural and inevitable. They little know what radical change are possible through prayer. Every morning I offer my body, my mind and any ability that I posses, to be used by Thee, O infinite creator, in whatever way Thou dost choose to express Thyself through me. I know that all work is Thy work, and that no task is too difficult or too menial when offered to Thee in loving service.

Paramahansa Yogananda.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: A couple questions [Re: Mahavatar]
    #39621 - 05/26/08 05:14 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Mahavatar said:
So, I have a box full of seedlings between 1 and 5 inches tall. Some are in only about a half an inch of soil, some others in about 2 inches of soil and a couple more in 2 inches of vermiculite.

The ones in the half inch look great nice and strong, bigger leaves than the others, only about 2.5inches tall though, the ones in verm look good too but nothing special.

But for some reason the ones in 2 inches of dirt are all about 2 inches taller than the rest with thin stems and cant hold themselves without help, whats the problem here?

What kind of light are you using, how close is it to the seedlings, and how are the different mediums arranged around it? The way the ones in two inch soil have grown really sounds like they are not getting adequate light and are stretching like crazy to find some because it is a matter of survival. Otherwise I don't see it having anything to do with the type of soil or how much there was, but I'm not the most informed on this kind of stuff, so hopefully someone else will comment.

The only other factor that I can personally think of is maybe the ones in a half inch of soil fully rooted in that much soil and began focusing more on vegetative growth instead of root production, but I don't think that really makes that much sense and doesn't explain the stretching of the two inch soil seedlings. :shrug:

Quote:

Also when should I transplant these guys into some styrofoam cups and when I do should I use organic soil, verm or a mix of both?

I think the best time to transplant at any time is when the roots have fully grown through the amount of soil they are currently in and maybe begin to circle around the edge a little bit, so they are completely ready to explode with new growth when dropped into more new soil.

I don't know too much about soil mixes yet, but a mixture of both would probably be great. Better wait for someone else to come along to answer that. I'll read more into it though. :wink:

--------------------

OfflineMahavatar
At Peace
Male User Gallery

Loc: Quebec
Re: A couple questions [Re: Sirius]
    #39647 - 05/26/08 09:06 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Just a 2.5 foot long flourescent, due to the dimensions of the box as well as the variance in height the plants are all 6inches away from the light give or take an inch.

Ill try and post some pictures this afternoon instead of writting anothr parapragh expaining how they're arranged.

--------------------
Most people consider the course of events as natural and inevitable. They little know what radical change are possible through prayer. Every morning I offer my body, my mind and any ability that I posses, to be used by Thee, O infinite creator, in whatever way Thou dost choose to express Thyself through me. I know that all work is Thy work, and that no task is too difficult or too menial when offered to Thee in loving service.

Paramahansa Yogananda.

OfflinePipesmoker Elf
Super Coyote
Female

#39714 - 05/26/08 11:30 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Your plants don't get enough light which causes them to grow tall searching for a more powerful source. Also I think that 6 inches is way too far from the plants, bring it closer.

--------------------

OfflineAnnom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Trusted Cultivator
    #39818 - 05/26/08 02:16 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Most likely not enough light. What is the power (Wattage) of the fluorescent? bring it as close as possible to your plants.

Pics would sure help!

Offlineerb
 User Gallery

Re: A couple questions [Re: Annom]
    #46087 - 06/01/08 06:52 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

the small difference in soil depth isnt whats causing your stretch.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds