Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Loc: Hawaiian Islands Flag
Life of a painter
    #393586 - 04/01/10 12:14 AM (14 years, 5 hours ago)

Hahaha, being a painter is sure interesting at time! For the past 2 days, i have been working at the  Mauna Kea hotels rec area. My task is to fill carpenter bee holes with wood filler and paint them over. But the carpenter bees are not liking that idea at all.

I went around Monday and yesterday filling he holes. By the time i came back round to paint the putty some of the holes were empty of the putty. The bees had either pulled the putty back out of some of their holes or they had been trying to make new ones and had new holes started.

So OK, no biggy! i just refill and paint them right away. Seems to keep them away! Then i hit the main building. Tons of holes, most had residents since this part was not exterminated due to the coy pond that circles this building. So i get up to a heavily infested area of the fascia and start filling holes. But before i fill the holes i have to beat on the board with my putty knife to get the bees out of the holes. Hahaha, the first couple holes were ok, but after about five holes them 5 bees were angry and trying to get back int their homes.

Ok, now get this! The male bees do not sting but will bite if you pin them down. The queens are the only one that can sting if provoked. But the males are very territorial and can act pretty aggressive. They will fly by your head and hoover there inches away. and then you swat at them and they dive away. Ok, so also keep in mind that this is up high along the facia, so i am on a ladder which is in a 2 foot deep coy pond, ducking and diving cause all these angry territorial bees are now agitated cause their homes don't exist anymore, ohhh and on top of that we have had a high wind advisory with 45 mph gusts for the past 3 days too.. I have no tools really other then some paint brushes. So i grab the longest one with the widest brush and am gonna use it as a bee swatter! Figureing they were hovering within arms reach, i could use the brush as a fly swatter and knock them out of the way. Well it worked for maybe 2 bees then they go smart and dove real quick or dove real fast when i swatted at them, almost making me fall off or flip my ladder.

So i get aggravated and call my super and tell him, "fuck that!!" If he want this done then they need to exterminate or do something about all these bees dive bombing me. So my super bring me an air compressor and blow gun to blow their wing off first and foremost and to get them out of the rest of the holes . So I use this rig and it seems to work wonders. They either fall into the coy pond or just go away. So I finish the filling and move onto the other side of the building where the infestation is again very high.

On this side i am in the sun and can see a little more clearly. And this time while trying to swat bees i notice that when they are dive bombing me they are spitting something at me or squirting something, alls i know is i see these tiny little golden brown colored projectiles they are flinging at me. So lunch time rolls around, i decided to look these bees up on my phone and read that, while they do not sting, they fling their feces at you as a defense. Ahwwww, how gross!!!!!

Anyway, i thought i would share this cool little episode of a life of a painter ince it ha kept me on my toes for the past 3 days!

I got the job done either way and am sure i will be back within a year to fix fresh holes bored by these buggers.

:superbanana:

--------------------

:guns: Don't Mistake My Kindness For Weakness :guns:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Re: Life of a painter [Re: SpaceMonkey]
    #393630 - 04/01/10 06:05 AM (14 years, 8 minutes ago)

Bees fling'n their poo.... :ilold:

Sounds like you had a hell of a day!

--------------------
"Marijuana may not be addictive, but growing it is" - ED Rosenthal

Maine Caregiver In 100% compliance with Maine state laws.

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Re: Life of a painter [Re: Farmer Joe]
    #394134 - 04/01/10 07:49 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah, it is quite funny!

Specially since these bees are HUGE bumble bee looking things! They also like to buzz your head alot and try to scare you away. But the flinging of their poo was fuckin ridiculous!!  And they can fire shot after shot. I had one huge bee that i kept my eyes on since he was dive bombing me and landing on my back, he must have shit like 20 times at me with some decent accuracy. He got me probably 6 times in 40 mph gusts, so not to bad for shooting shit out its ass!

--------------------

OfflineChillWillis
old school fool

#394150 - 04/01/10 07:58 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

An interesting experiment to do would be to paint different different bright colored spots on your painting cloths (to resemble flowers or whatever) and see if they'll land on that and chill or maybe even shoot shit at those spots.

Either way seems like an interesting day! Do you have to do all their sanding too? Seems like they stuck you with the 'fun' jobs

--------------------

It's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom.

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
    #394199 - 04/01/10 09:03 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I know the bees you speak of.  We used to have them in our deck in the summer time at my old house in kansas.  A tennis racket is a good thing to have around in that situation.  This is sooo crazy man, i was just talking with my buddy about these carpenter bees on sunday.  I didn't know they flinged their pooh though.  that's hilarious!

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Re: Life of a painter [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #394361 - 04/02/10 12:05 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

ChillWillis said:
An interesting experiment to do would be to paint different different bright colored spots on your painting cloths (to resemble flowers or whatever) and see if they'll land on that and chill or maybe even shoot shit at those spots.

Either way seems like an interesting day! Do you have to do all their sanding too? Seems like they stuck you with the 'fun' jobs

I think i will pass on the color testing deal. I usually have nerves of steel but growing up from an area that bees sting and can be really viscous and they HURT! Nah, i don't think i want o fuck with bees. They will also land on you and bite you with their jaws! I know this from crawling in a sailboat we were getting ready to move. But rarely do they bite and they never sting other then the queen if she is provoked.

There was no sanding to do. It was rough pine and they wanted to keep the texture. So i just filled their tunnels with painters putty and painted over the putty to match the surrounding wood.

As far as sticking me with the fun jobs, we are basically doing these "fun jobs" to stay busy. Work is slim here and just being able to say your working and have an income is a big deal, if ya know what i mean? So i am sure i will get some more of these crappy jobs in the future since new construction is down with the economy.

Quote:

FurrowedBrow said:
I know the bees you speak of.  We used to have them in our deck in the summer time at my old house in kansas.  A tennis racket is a good thing to have around in that situation.  This is sooo crazy man, i was just talking with my buddy about these carpenter bees on sunday.  I didn't know they flinged their pooh though.  that's hilarious!

I wish i had a tennis racket for these B-52's!! I was using a purdy 4" sash with an extended handle to swat at them. It worked for the most part until they caught on and started to duck and dive on me. I swear they were trying to get me to over extend on a whack and fall off my ladder. They would get a couple feet away and hover right in front of me. And when i was battleing the 5 or more, they were all around me doing this! But the shit flinging thing was funny stuff!

--------------------

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild & Free
    #394455 - 04/02/10 08:28 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

SpaceMonkey said:
carpenter bees

Is a carpenter bee the same as a wood bee?

Quote:

FurrowedBrow said:

If they are the same bees we hit them with tennis rackets too. We call the game "wood bee."

Most of my friends love it, I love it. Serves them right for me being allergic to them!

--------------------
"Je pense, donc je suis (I am thinking, therefore I am)." -Rene Descartes

Edited by Thebooedocksaint (04/02/10 08:33 AM)

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Re: Life of a painter [Re: Thebooedocksaint]
    #394456 - 04/02/10 08:33 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

ha, this thread made me chuckle

--------------------

InvisibleDr. SiekadellykM
Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ketamine Flag
Re: Life of a painter [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #394480 - 04/02/10 09:11 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

lol
I hate bees.

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Re: Life of a painter [Re: Dr. Siekadellyk]
    #394517 - 04/02/10 11:07 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

me too, fuck those bitches. :lol:

--------------------

OfflineChillWillis
old school fool

Re: Life of a painter [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #394559 - 04/02/10 11:53 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Bees play an important role in our ecosystem brah, deal with it.

Or don't, sooner or later they'll die from global warming. Honey bees are taking a beating right now.

--------------------

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

Re: Life of a painter [Re: ChillWillis]
    #394560 - 04/02/10 11:55 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

ChillWillis said:

Or don't, sooner or later they'll die from global warming. Honey bees are taking a beating right now.

We can just hope they will die slow enough for something else to fill their niche. (fat chance but it could happen)

--------------------

InvisibleDr. SiekadellykM
Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ketamine Flag
    #394566 - 04/02/10 12:00 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

ChillWillis said:

Thats obvious,
but it still doesnt distract from the fact that most of them are also flying needles.
I never said I wanted them to die, I just want them to stay away from me.
:sun:

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

OfflineChillWillis
old school fool

Re: Life of a painter [Re: Dr. Siekadellyk]
    #394576 - 04/02/10 12:25 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I didn't say you wanted bees to die, although it's clear that boondock does lol

I like bees. I think bees are very interesting, especially when you compare them to other flying insects. I do wish they wouldn't sting/bother me but hell you don't go outside to avoid nature.

--------------------

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
    #394610 - 04/02/10 01:15 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Thebooedocksaint said:
Quote:

SpaceMonkey said:
carpenter bees

Is a carpenter bee the same as a wood bee?

Quote:

FurrowedBrow said:

If they are the same bees we hit them with tennis rackets too. We call the game "wood bee."

Most of my friends love it, I love it. Serves them right for me being allergic to them!

i believe so, but again, google is one tab over.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Re: Life of a painter [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #394614 - 04/02/10 01:35 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I believe them to be the wood bees you speak of! Big,black hairless abdomen, kind of resembling a bumble be but much bigger. They bore holes into soft woods and make tunnels for offspring

Some were quite HUGE! But i think this job has traumatized me now.:lol: Last night i was trying to relax outside and have a beer. But i kept seeing flies and other insects flying, making me look real quick to make sure it wasn't the damn bees! :lmfao:

--------------------

InvisibleGetTheFuckOut
Long Gone.
 User Gallery

#394622 - 04/02/10 01:50 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

bees slangin honey jism all up on you

ive actually had to do this same thing, just on a smaller scale.  the bees were in a hand rail on a balcony i was painting on.  i sealed them in both sides and they their way out.  ended up just replacing the rail.

--------------------
Let the faggots have it all.  Keep the shit.

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

#394624 - 04/02/10 01:52 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

ChillWillis said:
I didn't say you wanted bees to die, although it's clear that boondock does lol

I like bees. I think bees are very interesting, especially when you compare them to other flying insects. I do wish they wouldn't sting/bother me but hell you don't go outside to avoid nature.

My moms allergic too, she is physically frail. And has Emphysema, so she literally can't run she would instantly run out of breath.

So I have to kill the bees that inhabit near my back yard (I have a home made shed/treefort that the bees bore in.)

I just made killing fun.

--------------------

Offlinecjesseg
Earth. Water. Air. Fire.
Male User Gallery

#394628 - 04/02/10 02:00 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Haha! What an experience.
I didn't know that bees "fling poo".
Maybe they have Bee-O-lympics to see who can fling their poo the farthest!
"Wow! An impressive 910 yards! Now this, is bee history!"

--------------------
"She quickly stood up & looked down, the door on her shoe had gotten larger.
Her shoelaces then quickly took hold of her hands, which caused her to sneeze.
She spit on the puddle of liquid rice to her left, hoping it would release the toads from their chains.
It did nothing.
Desperately she bit into her arm-chair, hoping, praying the bird will hear her call.
"Get the lock!" Sponny yelled.
But was too late.
The door had opened.
She quickly grabbed her shoe & threw it, spilling & exposing the contents inside & relaseing those things."

OfflineChillWillis
old school fool

#394631 - 04/02/10 02:03 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Theboondocksaint: License to kill, Class Bee

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale