Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Emerald City Flag
When Switching to Flowering: What to change, what not to change.
    #388381 - 03/22/10 06:22 PM (14 years, 9 days ago)

So, I just switch to flower mode for my young plant, and I know somethings need to be changed in order for it to flower and produce budz....

So this is what I changed.

#1. Changed my 6,500K amd 5,000K color CFL bulbs to 2,700K color only CFL bulbs.

#2. I increased the total watts of light from 107 to 149 watts.

#3. I changed the light on/off schedule from 18 hours-On (6 hours-Off) to 12 hours-On (12 hours-Off).

#4. I stopped watering my perlite trays to drop the humidity down to lower than 40% (is this too early?)

#5. Bought a bottle of Fox Farm(r) Big Bloom(r) but have NOT used it yet.

What I didn't change (yet).

#1. My nutrients, which I'm still using Shultz liquid fertilizer at 10-15-10* (N-P-K) concentration (its diluted to 2.5 droppers per 1 gallon water).

So, my question is mostly about the nutrients: When should I start using the Fox Farm(r) flowering nutes? Is it when I start seeing pre-flowers? Do I mix them with the vegging Shultz nutes to slowly ease the transition from vegging to flowering, so I don't shock it?

Also, is there anything in that list I should change or should not have changed?

*math error: its 10-15-10, not 5-15-5.

Thanks for any help,

~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

Edited by TrueHerbCrystal (03/22/10 09:13 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: When Switching to Flowering: What to change, what not to change. [Re: TrueHerbCrystal]
    #388384 - 03/22/10 06:37 PM (14 years, 9 days ago)

#4 Yeah it's a bit early and remember the water needs are going to increase do to the size of the buds. Most of the plants mass is put on during flowering so limiting watering isn't such a good idea. If anything increase the amount of airflow threw the grow area. :wink:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Re: When Switching to Flowering: What to change, what not to change. [Re: Magash]
    #388398 - 03/22/10 06:58 PM (14 years, 9 days ago)

Oh, OK. More watering...got it.

I only ask because of this document about optimum humidity levels, which states that "40 - 60% rH during flowering (lower rH helps to reduce the risk of fungal contamination on your already moist dank buds)". But, I'm thinking its talking about *near* the end of budding stage, not at the *start* of it.

Also, you said to increase watering: I'm guessing you meant the soil (my substrate), and not the perlite trays I use to increase humidity...am I right?

Thanks Magash,
(PS Jordan Capri rules!)
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: When Switching to Flowering: What to change, what not to change. [Re: TrueHerbCrystal]
    #388421 - 03/22/10 07:38 PM (14 years, 9 days ago)

Yeah Magash was referring to the watering of your plants, not the humidity trays that your using.  But yes it's a bit early to start dropping the humidity. 

On the note of increasing the watering, base it on how much they seem to be taking in.  Feel the weight of your containers before you water them and then after.  This will give you a good reference on when they will need to be watered.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Re: When Switching to Flowering: What to change, what not to change. [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #388428 - 03/22/10 07:47 PM (14 years, 9 days ago)

Sounds Good Hawks...

I'll make sure I check the weight of the pot between waters. Currently, I have been digging up the soil to check the water near the roots, and sometimes I touch the roots. Is that a bad way to check the mositure inside the pot? Could be it harmful to the plant If I sometimes touch its roots?

Do you think the increase of watering is a sign of a need to transplant? Because it seems like I water every day now...should I upgrade?

I will continue to *try* to keep the humidity up, then I will drop the rH to 40% a few weeks before they finish budding.

Thanks for stopping by,
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

OfflineDieselB
High Watt Closet
Male

#388436 - 03/22/10 07:58 PM (14 years, 9 days ago)

Bigger container is probably a good idea.. You shouldn't really be having to water that often. What size containers do you have, and about how big are the plants? Pics would probably help.

--------------------
If you ain't smokin' dro, you're smokin' reggie. :shrug:

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Re: When Switching to Flowering: What to change, what not to change. [Re: DieselB]
    #388438 - 03/22/10 08:01 PM (14 years, 9 days ago)

OK, I have only 1 plant (:sad:), and its in a 4inch tall, by 4 inch wide round clay pot (bottom is smaller than top, so its smaller than that).

Here's a photo I took last Saturday:

The height of the plant now is about 7 inches....and its currently in flower as of March 20.

Hope that helps,
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

Offlinedutc2006
Grow or Die

Folding@home Statistics
    #388447 - 03/22/10 08:19 PM (14 years, 9 days ago)

#5  Take it back to the store before you use it and hopefully they will give you your money back so that you can buy an actual bloom booster.  Unfortunately, they don't put seals on their products so they will just have to take your word for it.  You were fooled by the name, but Tiger Bloom is the product you want rather than Big Bloom.  If you can afford to do both, do.  But give priority to the Tiger Bloom first.  Big Bloom is a micro supplement, and isn't really gonna assist particularly in the bud development, but rather in the general health of the plant, which is a still a good thing.

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Re: When Switching to Flowering: What to change, what not to change. [Re: dutc2006]
    #388452 - 03/22/10 08:22 PM (14 years, 9 days ago)

Oh, I see. I did notice that Big Bloom had really low N-P-K values, while Tiger Bloom had large ones.

I'll go and exchange it for the Tiger Bloom (the good stuff). I wanna use both, but its too expensive for me. So, TB it is.

Thanks for the advice Duct,
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: When Switching to Flowering: What to change, what not to change. [Re: dutc2006]
    #388465 - 03/22/10 08:43 PM (14 years, 9 days ago)

Well, he is still using his Schultz fert for the main nutrient.  While I agree that I would prefer to use Tiger Bloom as the main nutrient it is not necessarily a must for you 'True'.  I like Big Bloom as an additive.  If you have the money, keep it and start using it.  I believe that your plant will benefit from it, and you will notice a difference once you start using it.

I would def. transplant that.  It's not completely necessary though.  The plant starts needing to be watered more is not just because of the size of the plant to container ratio.  But because the plant uses more water as it gets into producing the flowers.  It's just a part of the process of the plants needs ramping up.

If your going to continue with the Schultz stuff I would also recommend adding a PK boost as well at some point during the flowering process.

--------------------

-niteowl

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: When Switching to Flowering: What to change, what not to change. [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #388467 - 03/22/10 08:44 PM (14 years, 9 days ago)

Woops a little late on that.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineDieselB
High Watt Closet
Male

Re: When Switching to Flowering: What to change, what not to change. [Re: DieselB]
    #388475 - 03/22/10 08:55 PM (14 years, 9 days ago)

I'll second the container upgrade, probably one gallon minimum.

--------------------

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

#388481 - 03/22/10 09:01 PM (14 years, 9 days ago)

One gallon huh? Isn't that too big?

I'm in flower right now, and Harry suggested that I use a container that is only about an inch bigger on every side (5" tall, 5" wide). I was still vegging then a 1 gallon pot upgrade would be best, right?

Now I'm really confused...
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #388485 - 03/22/10 09:08 PM (14 years, 9 days ago)

Fuck that, go for a gallon container.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

#388494 - 03/22/10 09:25 PM (14 years, 9 days ago)

Alright, 1 gallon it is. Besides, more roots pretty much equals more budz right?

So I won't have a problem with moisture control with a 1 gallon pot? And about 2 months of flowering won't fill the pot completely with roots anyway right?

Also, how big (as in width and height) is a square pot. I'm going to the store in a few hours to buy one, and I wanna know what the correct size is...

Thanks for the expert Advice,

~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #388513 - 03/22/10 09:52 PM (14 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

a 6"x6" square pot is exactly 1 gallon

that was from your other thread. :smile:

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Re: When Switching to Flowering: What to change, what not to change. [Re: coda]
    #388518 - 03/22/10 09:56 PM (14 years, 9 days ago)

Noted!

Thanks watching over coda
:thumbup:
~ TrueHerbCrystaL ~

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #388528 - 03/22/10 10:09 PM (14 years, 9 days ago)

Well it doesn't have to be exactly one gallon, I would make it that big or larger.  No you aren't going to have to worry about moisture control.  Yes it will more than likely have filled the container with roots by that point.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineDieselB
High Watt Closet
Male

#388537 - 03/22/10 10:52 PM (14 years, 9 days ago)

If we're being exact, a 6" sqaure pot is going to be 216 cubic inches, and a gallon would be 231.. :tongue2:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale