Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Emerald City Flag
Using Fiber Optics for Stealth Grows.
    #382086 - 03/11/10 05:57 PM (14 years, 20 days ago)

I was just about to go to sleep last night, and I was thinking about the "[url=http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/371757]Light Proof
[/url]" thread and Inverted's outdoor, specially his quote "Wow, putting them outside in the sun makes such a difference!" when I had a sudden burst of an idea. What if you used fiber optic cables to guide light in?

It seemed like a great idea, but then the reality came in: fiber optic cables are very small, and would require lots of them, and they aren't cheap either. Also, where would you buy them? But the idea still seems plausible: get outdoor light from the sun, guide it to a stealth grow using fiber optic cable, and viola, better lighting system!

If you don't know how a fiber optic cable works, here's a small screen shot from HowItWorks article How Fiber Optics Work

It seems perfect for stealth grows because you can hide it underneath a window seal, and nobody will see it. But then there's the problem with lighting coming from the grow room out the other side (because its not one way). Haven't found out how to stop that yet.

Anyone trying this out currently for their grows?

Optically Fibrous
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

Edited by TrueHerbCrystal (03/11/10 06:01 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Using Fiber Optics for Stealth Grows. [Re: TrueHerbCrystal]
    #382091 - 03/11/10 06:08 PM (14 years, 20 days ago)

Wouldn't work and fiber optics works on pulses of light not a steady stream.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Re: Using Fiber Optics for Stealth Grows. [Re: coda]
    #382098 - 03/11/10 06:18 PM (14 years, 20 days ago)

Bummer....

Do you know why it only works with pulses of light? Is how those fiber optic lamps work, on pulses from a LED bulb?

Curious to know
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
    #382112 - 03/11/10 06:46 PM (14 years, 20 days ago)

.......do you think your data is all one stream? :lol:

you're opening a whole nother subject...simply as i can put it...

your computer works in 1's and 0's or ons and offs or switches whatever  you call them they are one way on and one way off...your light switch for example would represent digital whereas like one of those knobs you can turn to adjust the brightness of the light would be analog

so pulses is digital...the other wouldn't be...i mean it goes way beyond what im saying i just figured thats the simplest explanation i can give

--------------------
Suck my balls America

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #382116 - 03/11/10 06:49 PM (14 years, 20 days ago)

Fiber optic lamps are a novelty, but no it's a steady source of light with them.  I guess I was more referring to the real world usage of fiber optics (network communications, I think in nerd world too much :wink:).

But think about why your idea wouldn't work...

1.) What would happen on a cloudy day?
2.) How many of those things do you think you would need to = a 400 watt HPS?
3.) What happens if the fiber breaks?
4.) How would you hang it and still keep it stealth (if stealth is the major factor in using it)?

It's just not feasible, you would need to many of the things to even consider the possibility of it growing your bud.  Even then there are too many external factors that would really work against you.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

#382119 - 03/11/10 06:52 PM (14 years, 20 days ago)

yea i dont think you understand how much that stuff is..like people like me and coda when somebody lets me do some work and they say you can have whatever is left or whatever and you see some fiber you bet that shits first on the list

--------------------
Suck my balls America

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

#382147 - 03/11/10 07:14 PM (14 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

coda said:
Fiber optic lamps are a novelty, but no it's a steady source of light with them.  I guess I was more referring to the real world usage of fiber optics (network communications, I think in nerd world too much :wink:).

But think about why your idea wouldn't work...

1.) What would happen on a cloudy day?
2.) How many of those things do you think you would need to = a 400 watt HPS?
3.) What happens if the fiber breaks?
4.) How would you hang it and still keep it stealth (if stealth is the major factor in using it)?

It's just not feasible, you would need to many of the things to even consider the possibility of it growing your bud.  Even then there are too many external factors that would really work against you.

Yeah, I guess your right. Its pretty funny reading you 2 guys comments about pulses and 1's and 0's...I was talking about guiding sunlight from a window to a grow room, not optical data transfer. You big sillies...:tongue:

I should also point out that it would be supplemental light, to the artificial kind, because there is no way you can run that much from outside. Sorry, I forgot to mention that in the OP

As for your questions:

1)
On a cloudy day, it would be useless and artificial light would be necessary. It would be used a supplemental lighting anyway (as I recently mentioned). Also, the window seal would kinda illuminate with stray light from the grow room going the "wrong way" thru the fiber cable, which wouldn't be too weird since people use lights on during the day too.

2) Again, forgot to mention its supplemental not main source. If it were a main source, I'm thinking the amount of cable needed would be like a roll as thick as a ancient Sequoia tree, maybe bigger. Not sure.

3) Fiber wouldn't break: they are pretty flexible. And why would it break? Unless your constantly stepping on it or something, it shouldn't be flexing away.

4)
For stealth it would be hung perpendicular to the window seal to absorb light indirectly. So if you look from the outside into your house on a dark day, you would see light (the artificial kind from your grow room) illuminating the front of the drapes. It could be easily prevented by covering up the fiber on the other side (in the grow room), but that would be a pain everyday.

So yeah, its not really practical or cost effective, just an idea I had to add some beneficially real sunlight to a stealth plant without compromising its location.

Another idea I had was to use those bubble-shaped skylights to add some light, but you would have to focus it somehow...

Close to Crystal-Clear?
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

#382158 - 03/11/10 07:20 PM (14 years, 20 days ago)

yea dude im a nerd i dont know...but thinking on the power it would take would be counterproductive...And you start getting head I would imagine but I've worked very little with fiber..

--------------------
Suck my balls America

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder