Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDelBoycie

Crushed oestrogen pill added to soil to increase f/m ratio of plants?
    #381196 - 03/10/10 09:40 AM (14 years, 21 days ago)

What do you think?

I was told this by a truted source.

I don't know why he doesn't do it every year but he said one year he did it and had a higher rate of females than normal.

I'll be throwing a few outdoors in the next couple of days so I might give it a try. I also might try the tea method of germintation.:thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDephect

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Crushed oestrogen pill added to soil to increase f/m ratio of plants? [Re: DelBoycie]
    #381200 - 03/10/10 09:57 AM (14 years, 21 days ago)

I read it in the cultivation book I bought. The guy was pretty legit. It said 1 pill to 1 gallon of water. The only problem is the guy didn't really make a point that this changes the sex, only helps the all ready known females with growth and flowering :shrug:

It says administer one treatment at commencement of flowering and one treatment 2 weeks before harvest.

OfflineCrusty Ass Bastard
Pheno Hunting

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Crushed oestrogen pill added to soil to increase f/m ratio of plants? [Re: DelBoycie]
    #381203 - 03/10/10 10:00 AM (14 years, 21 days ago)

:facepalm3:

There is no botanical use for human hormones. If you're going to use hormones, use ones that were designed for plants. Or have fun smoking estrogen, I guarantee you will not flush all of that out.

--------------------
|

Skunk Train (Most Recent) | G13 Haze (Completed) | G13 Haze (Completed) | G13 Haze (Completed)
Cinnibis Rolls | Indoor Peppers

"The secret of improved plant breeding, apart from scientific knowledge, is love." -Luther Burbank

Edited by Crusty Ass Bastard (03/10/10 10:02 AM)

Pheno Hunting

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Crushed oestrogen pill added to soil to increase f/m ratio of plants? [Re: Dephect]
    #381205 - 03/10/10 10:02 AM (14 years, 21 days ago)

Quote:

Dephect said:
I read it in the cultivation book I bought. The guy was pretty legit. It said 1 pill to 1 gallon of water. The only problem is the guy didn't really make a point that this changes the sex, only helps the all ready known females with growth and flowering :shrug:

It says administer one treatment at commencement of flowering and one treatment 2 weeks before harvest.

What book is that? The author cannot be trusted.

Edited by Crusty Ass Bastard (03/10/10 10:07 AM)

OfflineDephect

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Crushed oestrogen pill added to soil to increase f/m ratio of plants? [Re: Crusty Ass Bastard]
    #381206 - 03/10/10 10:03 AM (14 years, 21 days ago)

I think its one of those do at your own risk.

OfflineDephect

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Crushed oestrogen pill added to soil to increase f/m ratio of plants? [Re: Crusty Ass Bastard]
    #381208 - 03/10/10 10:07 AM (14 years, 21 days ago)

Cannabis
Quote:

206 said:
Quote:

Dephect said:

What book is that?

Cannabis Cultivation
A Complete Growers Guide
by Mel Thomas

word for word

Estrogen
A diluted solution of estrogen administered to cannabis plants can produce amazing differences in growth and flowering. Estrogen is found in birth control pills and is diluted at the rate of 1 pill to 1 gallon of water. Administer one treatment at the commencement of flowering and another treatment two weeks before harvest. Whether or not it is ethical is for you to decide.

Pheno Hunting

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Crushed oestrogen pill added to soil to increase f/m ratio of plants? [Re: Dephect]
    #381209 - 03/10/10 10:15 AM (14 years, 21 days ago)

Just throwing this out there for the OP:

Quote:

In the cell core of a marijuana plant are 10 couples of chromosomes present. One of these couples will determine if the plant will be a male or a female. When the plant has two X-chromosomes it will be a female and if it has an X and Y-chromosome then it will be a male. The sex of the plant will be determined at the moment of fertilization. On this moment the female chromosomes will link with the chromosomes of the male. If the male chromosome that determines the sex of the plant is an X-chromosome then the plant will be a female and otherwise it will be a male. But the development of the plant is not completely determined by the presence of X and Y chromosomes. Also outsides circumstances can have an influence on this and because of these external circumstances a female plant can bloom like a male and visa versa.

So understand that you're talking about turning male plants into females, not magically making them all female from the get go. If that is what you're after, you should be reading about ethylene not estrogen.

Also, from another forum:

Quote:

Under extreme controlled forms and we found that out of our three trials with 10 plants each, 10 with, ten without, we saw no such development. We did these experiments for three turns, diffrent times, diffrent feeding of the hormones, diffrent lighting and nutrients combined with the hormones. We could not see any of those results you talk about. Sorry but I do not believe it was about the hormones in your case.

We also found that when my friend tested oil extracted from the plants at his work, there were traces of the hormones even after we flushed the soil during 2 weeks prior to harvest.

You're playing with fire if you do this. I think everyone can agree with that.

--------------------
|

Skunk Train (Most Recent) | G13 Haze (Completed) | G13 Haze (Completed) | G13 Haze (Completed)

"The secret of improved plant breeding, apart from scientific knowledge, is love." -Luther Burbank

Edited by Crusty Ass Bastard (03/10/10 10:17 AM)

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #381210 - 03/10/10 10:17 AM (14 years, 21 days ago)

Excellent post 206.

I knew this was not wise, but thank you for finding some anecdotal evidence.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Loc: PNW
    #381211 - 03/10/10 10:18 AM (14 years, 21 days ago)

Yeah all your doing is putting more pharmaceutical hormones into the ground water.

OfflineDelBoycie

#381212 - 03/10/10 10:29 AM (14 years, 21 days ago)

Thanks for that.:thumbup:

But ethylene,isn't that what's responsible for ripening fruit?

Well,I've a big bag of seeds. Not all are good. I'm not sure if he said to keep the small dark brown ones? Does that sound right?

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #381213 - 03/10/10 10:31 AM (14 years, 21 days ago)

The only way to know if the seeds are good is to plant them.
You can't tell by size, or shape.
Whoever or whatever is giving you your info is not a reliable source, no matter what you think.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

OfflineDelBoycie

Re: Crushed oestrogen pill added to soil to increase f/m ratio of plants? [Re: 81renaissance]
    #381214 - 03/10/10 10:36 AM (14 years, 21 days ago)

Lol,thanks.

Well I imagine none of his info is backed scientifically but he has a good 10 years of experience so I guess what he says is just from the trends that he sees.

Pheno Hunting

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #381215 - 03/10/10 10:38 AM (14 years, 21 days ago)

Quote:

Dephect said:
Cannabis Cultivation
A Complete Growers Guide
by Mel Thomas

word for word

Estrogen
A diluted solution of estrogen administered to cannabis plants can produce amazing differences in growth and flowering. Estrogen is found in birth control pills and is diluted at the rate of 1 pill to 1 gallon of water. Administer one treatment at the commencement of flowering and another treatment two weeks before harvest. Whether or not it is ethical is for you to decide.

I actually read this book a couple years ago, but I don't recall that part. Mel does know his shit, but I wonder if he still stands behind this theory in 2010? He was a commercial grower first and author second, which makes me wonder why no other authors, especially those with scientific backgrounds, have ever made this claim.

--------------------
|

OfflineDephect

Folding@home Statistics
    #381216 - 03/10/10 10:39 AM (14 years, 21 days ago)

Quote:

206 said:
Just throwing this out there for the OP:

Quote:

In the cell core of a marijuana plant are 10 couples of chromosomes present. One of these couples will determine if the plant will be a male or a female. When the plant has two X-chromosomes it will be a female and if it has an X and Y-chromosome then it will be a male. The sex of the plant will be determined at the moment of fertilization. On this moment the female chromosomes will link with the chromosomes of the male. If the male chromosome that determines the sex of the plant is an X-chromosome then the plant will be a female and otherwise it will be a male. But the development of the plant is not completely determined by the presence of X and Y chromosomes. Also outsides circumstances can have an influence on this and because of these external circumstances a female plant can bloom like a male and visa versa.

So understand that you're talking about turning male plants into females, not magically making them all female from the get go. If that is what you're after, you should be reading about ethylene not estrogen.

Also, from another forum:

Quote:

Under extreme controlled forms and we found that out of our three trials with 10 plants each, 10 with, ten without, we saw no such development. We did these experiments for three turns, diffrent times, diffrent feeding of the hormones, diffrent lighting and nutrients combined with the hormones. We could not see any of those results you talk about. Sorry but I do not believe it was about the hormones in your case.

We also found that when my friend tested oil extracted from the plants at his work, there were traces of the hormones even after we flushed the soil during 2 weeks prior to harvest.

You're playing with fire if you do this. I think everyone can agree with that.

If that's directed at me I never was talking about changing the sex of the plants. I honestly don't care what sex my plants turn out. I kill all the males off :smile: That's my estrogen.

OfflineDephect

Folding@home Statistics
    #381217 - 03/10/10 10:41 AM (14 years, 21 days ago)

Quote:

206 said:
Quote:

Dephect said:
Cannabis Cultivation
A Complete Growers Guide
by Mel Thomas

word for word

Estrogen

I actually read this book a couple years ago, but I don't recall that part. Mel does know his shit, but I wonder if he still stands behind this theory in 2010? He was a commercial grower first and author second, which makes me wonder why no other authors, especially those with scientific backgrounds, have ever made this claim.

Keep in mind that he wrote most of that book in jail. Also like most authors mixed in with science, you can like some points and theories but eventually they get re tested and the true results become clearer. I always wonder what the world of growing marijuana is going to look like 10-20 years from now.

Pheno Hunting

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #381218 - 03/10/10 10:48 AM (14 years, 21 days ago)

Quote:

Dephect said:

If that's directed at me I never was talking about changing the sex of the plants. I honestly don't care what sex my plants turn out. I kill all the males off :smile: That's my estrogen.

It was for the OP, sorry.

Quote:

Dephect said:
Keep in mind that he wrote most of that book in jail. Also like most authors mixed in with science, you can like some points and theories but eventually they get re tested and the true results become clearer. I always wonder what the world of growing marijuana is going to look like 10-20 years from now.

Oh man, don't we all! When its finally legalized I bet there will be more innovation in 3 years than there was in the last 30. :smile:

--------------------
|

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #381223 - 03/10/10 10:56 AM (14 years, 21 days ago)

Quote:

206 said:
:facepalm3:

There is no botanical use for human hormones. If you're going to use hormones, use ones that were designed for plants. Or have fun smoking estrogen, I guarantee you will not flush all of that out.

This is the best post in this whole thread.

Plant hormones and human hormones are completely different.

--------------------

OfflineDephect

Folding@home Statistics
    #381228 - 03/10/10 11:03 AM (14 years, 21 days ago)

Quote:

206 said:
Quote:

Dephect said:

It was for the OP, sorry.

Quote:

Dephect said:

Oh man, don't we all! When its finally legalized I bet there will be more innovation in 3 years than there was in the last 30. :smile:

I know right!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds